• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Zefah said:
Lame... I'm in a stalemate with some asshole Terran player.

I have a large standing army and a lot of buildings left but no Nexus and no resources to build anything. I have killed everything but 3 of his buildings which he promptly lifted off and flew into a corner. I have nothing that can reach them and can't build anything so I can only sit here and watch him spam me with "Just leave!!!!"

They really need to give Terran buildings fuel or something so they can't just hide in a corner forever and ever.
if that happens, the game should know and just call the draw or the ground army players victory

Paper Tiger

Neo Member
-COOLIO- said:
if that happens, the game should know and just call the draw or the ground army players victory

That would be nice - I haven't ever been in a true stalemate like that, but a few times it has been a pain in the ass to hunt down a few buildings.

After the stat reset I've just been fooling around in 4v4 (read: postponing finals-studying). Those games can swing SO early ... and reapers are ridiculously annoying when they can get on those pillars in-between the bases.

Thought I was going to lose the last game so I hunkered down and sieged myself in for awhile. I had plugged a hole in another guy's base, and left half my army there to protect his main. Eventually I think it's safe enough to push, so I ask him if I can take my forces away without jeopardizing his base. He's like "uhh.... yeah, I think I'll be fine" - and I look at the minimap to see that the other three guys are just about to finish wiping the opposition up. I felt like a bit of an idiot, to say the least. I don't think I've ever been SO macro focused that I neglected to notice that my team was about to win. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
watervengeance said:
Kinda tempted to try playing Terran. Protoss has gotten kinda boring.

Haha. I'm in the exact opposite position. Been playing Terran for the entirety of beta, got bored and decided to play Protoss now. So far I'm loving it and am something like 10-4 wins. Not bad considering I usually lose about half of my games.

Deadly

nilbog21 said:
aha have any of u guys played Nexus Wars? mindless fun :]

also does anyone kno if there are micro maps yet? o_O
That map is awesome. My team and our opponents had to agree to a stalemate because there were so many units they just stopped moving :lol

Chris R

Best of all worlds and just play random :D I'll probably have to get in a streak for 50-100 T games to get better with them, but my P and Z games are pretty decent at this point.

nilbog21

Banned
Deadly said:
That map is awesome. My team and our opponents had to agree to a stalemate because there were so many units they just stopped moving :lol

dude does that map always randomize teams? i've tried to play like 10 times with my friend and literally every game we get matched up against each other..

Deadly

nilbog21 said:
dude does that map always randomize teams? i've tried to play like 10 times with my friend and literally every game we get matched up against each other..
Don't think so, the teams in the lobby are usually the teams in-game. I've played with a friend too and it worked fine.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
30szsz8.png

Check out this Bonus pool :lol

One win and im fucking top diamond :lol

Kronotech

Kinyou said:
Playing a RTS against other human players is for always quite exhausting. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Every time I start up a ranked match my heart starts pumping like crazy and to the end of the game I actually start to sweat... It doesn't matter how often I try to calm myself, as soon as I see the loading my pulse goes sky-high o_O.

It's not just the gameplay of a RTS, which requires you to take care of multiple things at the same time, which causes this.... excitement during a game, It's rather this real 1vs1 situation you find yourself in. The opponent has the exact same chances of losing or winning at the start of every match.

Am I the only one with this "issue" or are you guys experiencing similar things?

I feel the same. I panic too much. I've had access to Beta for a week now and haven't even touched it. Haha.

Although, I wasn't all that good at SC1 anyhow. I'm not a fan of the "one unit mass rush" gameplay. It takes the fun out of the building and army use.

Mr Cola said:
http://i45.tinypic.com/30szsz8.png[IMG]

One win and im fucking top diamond :lol[/QUOTE]

I saw that... and I lost the game. ALL THE FUCKING WAY TO PLACEMENT MATCHES, THEY SEND ME! :/ Now I'm stuck in placement matches!! UGHH!!!

fanboi

Banned
UPDATE EU Tournamnet:

Since the massive errors in Bnet the tournament has come to an halt, but lest try to finish as far as we can.

Current bracket:

SC2EU.png

So, NIN moved on since he has been most active between Miroi and and him.

I also moved lockon forward as he is the only person I have seen online between him and fox.

Also, Chronicle your match wasn't coin tossed since you actually finished it so you get another chance...

Matches must be finished BEFORE 2010-06-04.

Zen

Banned
Mr Cola said:
30szsz8.png

One win and im fucking top diamond :lol

Unfortunately you'll be sent to purgatory along with the rest of us.

And I was rocking 187k, thanks for playing. :p

Kinyou said:
Playing a RTS against other human players is for always quite exhausting. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Every time I start up a ranked match my heart starts pumping like crazy and to the end of the game I actually start to sweat... It doesn't matter how often I try to calm myself, as soon as I see the loading my pulse goes sky-high o_O.

It's not just the gameplay of a RTS, which requires you to take care of multiple things at the same time, which causes this.... excitement during a game, It's rather this real 1vs1 situation you find yourself in. The opponent has the exact same chances of losing or winning at the start of every match.

Am I the only one with this "issue" or are you guys experiencing similar things?

I use to it, it's sort of a smoker's buzz type of thing (I don't smoke!), it will wear off after a while.

So now I am playing NIN not Miroi eh? So much for me playing serious this round :lol

BTW Cola bonus pool only gives you 2x points per game, so unlucky (but at the same time, lucky :D )

NIN90

ChronicleX said:
So now I am playing NIN not Miroi eh? So much for me playing serious this round :lol

BTW Cola bonus pool only gives you 2x points per game, so unlucky (but at the same time, lucky :D )

You are so awesome. :))

fanboi

Banned
ChronicleX said:

Add me ChronicleX (jhalvarsson@gmail.com) so we might setup the games tonight?

NIN90 said:
You are so awesome. :))

If you cannot laugh at everything then everything will start laughing at you. That is the reason the most successful comedians are the serious ones that poke at the faults of humanity. However I have no idea where I was intending to take this trainothought so I think I'll stop now. Good luck later :lol

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Im still good to stream the games if i get a heads up :D

With perhaps some amateur commentary

Mr Cola

fanboi said:
Chronicle vs NIN will be... epic.

I will PM you if they play when I'm online.
kk im on bnet all day pretty much so hit me up there, warning im not likely to be here between 6-7pm tonight gmt

fatty

Could someone please explain how the Division Rank and Bonus Pool system works?

Also, are they still planning on reopening the beta again a bit before the game ships or is June 7 it?

Time for me to laugh some more, this time at all the retards who went on and on about hiding buildings not being a viable mindgame tactic.

Well fuck you :lol
http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/3695893/

On a side note

fatty said:
Could someone please explain how the Division Rank and Bonus Pool system works?

Also, are they still planning on reopening the beta again a bit before the game ships or is June 7 it?

Bonus points is a pool of 2x XP for winning games. If you have 100 bonus points and win a game that would give you 15 points, you get 30 points and loose 15 from your bonus. So on and so forth until you run out. Division rank is just your score in a small group of people in that "teir" of player.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
can someone link me to a good place to find some decent narrated replays, preferably of Pv_?

I think I'm ready to lift my game to the next level, so I'm going to need to start learning from better players than my Bronze tier opponents.

Effect

Been playing Protoss and Zerg most lately. Kept getting them as playing random (felt it would give me an edge). I did do my first proxy tactic last night though. That was interesting. I usually make an effort to check the watchtowers as I pass by but I've noticed some don't. It's weird being up there just to see their forces run by. Playing as Zerg I think I've finally got the fast expanding down (wasn't doing that much on either race. I guess I was to timid. I noticed I have be more patient. Took me a while to realize that unless it's another Zerg I don't have to worry about being attack to quickly and even then by the time an attack does come I can pump out enough units to defend as I build my economy. Practice is better then watching vids as they say. Though it is annoying to see my high loss number compared to my win number. Got kicked out of Silver as a result but the losses weren't crushes though so it wasn't so bad.

Haven't had much luck winning at all with Terran unless it's against another Terran. I want to try something tonight though. How viable is a Thor army perhaps backed up with Vikings or Banshee's? Any reasonable way of amassing that type of army in a reasonable amount of time?

Or would that be a waste of resources with them going down to quickly? Would that require expanding fast and often? A large amount of harassment required?

Does anyone else feel that they are never EVER favored in a game? I played 1s and 2s over the weekend and not a single game was I favored. I got rolled so many times it wasn't even funny. I really try to have fun, but when you do nothing but lose, it wears on ya.

I finally got ranked into silver in both leagues and I ended up playing nothing but gold and plat guys. It was crazy how bad I was getting beat.

(In before "l2p noob!1)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ChronicleX said:
Time for me to laugh some more, this time at all the retards who went on and on about hiding buildings not being a viable mindgame tactic.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but if this isn't someone winning a game by stopping a rush through a "fake proxy pylon", then it is irrelevant. You were very specific about your strategy of a fake proxy being able to confuse your opponent and prevent a rush. I don't believe there was any conversation about hiding buildings, in general, being a bad idea.

Cheeto said:
:lol Placing a barracks so that reapers are out faster doesn't vindicate your retarded proxy strat

Placing your buildings to the side of your base so they are not scouted instantly was all I suggested, it was YOU lot who blew it up into that shitstorm. So yeah, only a retard would call it retarded. :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ChronicleX said:

i see a high risk hidden barracks that was scouted before the reaper popped and left a terran ramp undefended against a player that could have been a zerg. it did nothing to actually help him win and put him in unnecessary danger.

in other words, it was stupid.

Pandaman said:
i see a high risk hidden barracks that was scouted before the reaper popped and left a terran ramp undefended against a player that could have been a zerg. it did nothing to actually help him win and put him in unnecessary danger.

in other words, it was stupid.

Wrong. It made him get a Zealot instead of going for a fast stalker, allowing that reaper to get the kills it otherwise would not of got. Also the Reaper got out before it was scouted, the Maruder did not.

You fail :lol

jasonng

So it's been answered before but I don't feel like digging. How can you tell when a zerg player is going to mass mutas? Usually I can tell my opponent is going air when he walls himself in but zergs don't do that. My probe would usually catch a spawning pool but no zerglings, maybe not even a queen. Can I assume from that to expect mutas?

By the time, I get my observer out there's a good size of mutas camping in his base.

NIN90

jasonng said:
So it's been answered before but I don't feel like digging. How can you tell when a zerg player is going to mass mutas? Usually I can tell my opponent is going air when he walls himself in but zergs don't do that. My probe would usually catch a spawning pool but no zerglings, maybe not even a queen. Can I assume from that to expect mutas?

By the time, I get my observer out there's a good size of mutas camping in his base.

You need a lot of gas to sustain a muta army.
Early double gas would be a clear sign for mass mutas.

Yaweee

jasonng said:

Scout more often. Early Lair is normally a huge hint, and a freaking spire leaves no room for interpretation. Spires take a long time to build, too (it feels like they are longer than most T2 buildings of other races, and I'm pretty sure it is just the outright longest build time for any Zerg building).

jasonng

Well I rely HEAVILY on what I find with my probe scout right at the beginning because there's a huge time gap between my initial scout and my first observer. I react depending on what he is doing, mostly it's either to get an army going or go for a quick expand. So my observer doesn't come out til after I plant my 4 gates. I guess I'm going to go for robo after 2 gates against zergs instead.

I really like my 4 gateways though. :(

Yaweee

jasonng said:
Well I rely HEAVILY on what I find with my probe scout right at the beginning because there's a huge time gap between my initial scout and my first observer. I react depending on what he is doing, mostly it's either to get an army going or go for a quick expand. So my observer doesn't come out til after I plant my 4 gates. I guess I'm going to go for robo after 2 gates against zergs instead.

I really like my 4 gateways though. :(

You should repeatedly scout with probes if at all possible. An early probe then nothing until your Observer is a giant mistake.

You can scout with Hallucinate by making an illusory Phoenix. It works very well. Also, a zealot can normally survive long enough to see their entire base unless he does a surround with lings or has Roaches blocking his ramp.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ChronicleX said:
Placing your buildings to the side of your base so they are not scouted instantly was all I suggested, it was YOU lot who blew it up into that shitstorm. So yeah, only a retard would call it retarded. :lol

I'm pretty sure your suggestion was to place a "fake proxy pylon" outside of your base so your opponent, who would normally have rushed, would abandon all plans of rushing and instead build up forces to counter the rush that they expected you to do.

Nothing of the sort occurred in the video. You make it sound as if the Protoss player in that video wouldn't have made any Zealots if he spotted the Barracks at the ramp as usual. He hadn't finished his Cybernetics Core, nor did he have enough gas to begin making Stalkers for probably another minute at least. You believe he would have left his base totally undefended in the mean time if he had spotted that Barracks?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ChronicleX said:
Wrong. It made him get a Zealot instead of going for a fast stalker, allowing that reaper to get the kills it otherwise would not of got. Also the Reaper got out before it was scouted, the Maruder did not.

You fail :lol
Do you even play this game? look at protosses gas, it wasn't timed for an empty gate into fast stalker which is still a normal response to proxy barracks of any kind. he didn't force anything, thats nerchios standard build order. he did the same thing in the first round, genius.

silly little noob, 'herp i see a lot, he must have forced it with ze mindgames!', you don't even know build orders. :lol its also cute how you ignored the fact that the opponent was a random.

Talk about hopeless.

Pandaman said:
silly little noob, 'herp i see a lot, he must have forced it with ze mindgames!', you don't even know build orders. :lol its also cute how you ignored the fact that the opponent was a random.

Talk about hopeless.

If he had scouted the potential reapers nothing stops him from getting gas to get that stalker out. Remember the Protoss was the random, not the Terran you fool. What are you bronze? :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ChronicleX said:
If he had scouted the potential reapers nothing stops him from getting gas to get that stalker out. Remember the Protoss was the random, not the Terran you fool. What are you bronze? :lol
so you don't play this game.

okay then, continue being a baddie.

protip: the fact the protoss was the random is why leaving the ramp undefended is a horrible idea.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ChronicleX said:

I'm not sure if it is possible to get Stalkers out before your opponent gets Reapers. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not. That's why super-early Reapers are so strong against Protoss in situations where the rush distance is short and you know your opponent is playing Protoss.

In that particular match, if the opponent happened to be Zerg, the Terran player would have been fucked hard.

iamblades

jasonng said:

Gas timing is the key. Generally if the zerg has a gas out before the pool starts, or double gas before the pool finishes, its almost certainly a muta build.

Whether or not he builds lings doesn't really tell you what units to expect, just how strong of an economy they have, as lings are potential drones not potential mutas.

And if your zerg opponent isn't getting a queen before lair, you should rush him with like 2 zealots and take an easy win. :lol :lol

Zefah said:
I'm not sure if it is possible to get Stalkers out before your opponent gets Reapers. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not. That's why super-early Reapers are so strong against Protoss in situations where the rush distance is short and you know your opponent is playing Protoss.

In that particular match, if the opponent happened to be Zerg, the Terran player would have been fucked hard.

1 - It is possible to get Stalker out before the reaper arrives, even on short maps unless the reaper is a proxy.
2 - The terran player took a risk making a reaper but that is not a point, he could of as easily made a maruder. The point is the protoss random did not scout it so he continued with his build. Hence no fast stalker.
3 - The protoss knew he was Vs a Terran.
4 - I'd rather take D9's word over the words of a-hats in denial.

Pandaman said:
protip: the fact the protoss was the random is why leaving the ramp undefended is a horrible idea.

As is not getting a fast stalker vs Terran, especially on a map like lost temple where you can abuse the high ground.

V_Arnold said:
The question is: who will ban ChronicleX already?

Better question - Why are you still here?

NIN90 said:
Hey ChronicleX you wanna play today or not?

I been randomly screwing with my "infinite placement matches" for the past 2 hours waiting for something to happen in that regard. Probe rushing Terrans is fun!

NIN90

ChronicleX said:
I been randomly screwing with my "infinite placement matches" for the past 2 hours waiting for something to happen in that regard. Probe rushing Terrans is fun!

What?
I mean our 1v1 tournament match.

Top Bottom