• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ChronicleX said:
1 - It is possible to get Stalker out before the reaper arrives, even on short maps unless the reaper is a proxy.
2 - The terran player took a risk making a reaper but that is not a point, he could of as easily made a maruder. The point is the protoss random did not scout it so he continued with his build. Hence no fast stalker.
3 - The protoss knew he was Vs a Terran.
4 - I'd rather take D9's word over the words of a-hats in denial.

To get a Stalker out before the Reaper's arrival, the Protoss player would have to pretty much be working towards that strategy right from the beginning of the match. He obviously wasn't doing so in this match and he had decided on that before he even scouted (or failed to scout) his Terran opponent.

This isn't an issue of anyone taking D9's word over anyone else. D9 commended the Terran player for his unorthodox placement of the Barracks which wasn't spotted in the early scout. It was all well and good because the opponent turned out to be Protoss, but as stated earlier the Terran would have been fucked if his opponent turned out to be a Zerg who had half a mind to Ling rush.

The bottom line is that the match in question really has no relevance to the statements you made earlier in this thread about a "fake proxy pylon" being some kind of psychological deterrent to rushes. You seem to be trying to retroactively change what you wrote in order to make it fit with this video. No one ever claimed that hiding buildings is stupid no matter the situation. The idea that any Zerg player who planned to rush would be somehow deterred by the lack of buildings at their opponent's main was what everyone called stupid.

Anyone else enjoying a lot of custom games?

Risk is phenominal, Red Circle TD is fun, and Nexus Defense (Castle Fight from WCIII) is a ton of fun.

Zefah said:
The bottom line is that the match in question really has no relevance to the statements you made earlier in this thread about a "fake proxy pylon" being some kind of psychological deterrent to rushes. You seem to be trying to retroactively change what you wrote in order to make it fit with this video. No one ever claimed that hiding buildings is stupid no matter the situation. The idea that any Zerg player who planned to rush would be somehow deterred by the lack of buildings at their opponent's main was what everyone called stupid.

No I always stated from the start that the idea was to build your first building in a place the scout would not see straight away, to make them think twice or not think at all. YOU lot flipped it into a bullshit fest, not me.

And yes, all of you said that hiding buildings was stupid and that you should always wall / proxy or build next to main. Not just one, or some, ALL of you did and you still persist in doing so.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ChronicleX said:
Weird, I am currently online. I guess it is just not letting anyone else on, but not kicking people already logged on.

I wonder if this means a patch 14 is around the corner.

Edit - Actually now that I think about it, maybe they are just trying to fix the ladder :lol
Usually it slowly kicks people off from games.

rsam87

The Lamonster said:

Risk is phenominal, Red Circle TD is fun, and Nexus Defense (Castle Fight from WCIII) is a ton of fun.

I'm also playing Nexus Defense(Wars?)

I go zealot to rines to marauders at the start, if I get the advantage I either tech or income. I wonder how many people play it here.

joelseph said:
Do you get mostly drunk for placements? <3

I am mostly drunk when I play any game, but in placements I always do stupid things in an attempt to loose on purpose so I can start at the bottom and work my way up. :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ChronicleX said:
No I always stated from the start that the idea was to build your first building in a place the scout would not see straight away, to make them think twice or not think at all. YOU lot flipped it into a bullshit fest, not me.

And yes, all of you said that hiding buildings was stupid and that you should always wall / proxy or build next to main. Not just one, or some, ALL of you did and you still persist in doing so.

You wrote it in direct response to a person asking how to defend against Zergling rushes. It wasn't just some general strategy talk. In a 1v1 where the Zerg opponent knows where you are, they probably won't even send a Drone in to scout. They will just build their Lings as soon as possible and charge in.

Zefah said:
You wrote it in direct response to a person asking how to defend against Zergling rushes. It wasn't just some general strategy talk.

I said if you are unable to defend vs a 6 pool yet try this and maybe you will not get 6 pooled. Since only lowbies 6 pool, I gave advice that might fool the opposing lowbie. There is no point giving a lowbie pro advice when preforming such things is still beyond them.

I never said anything about it "defending" against one happening, that was all you lot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ChronicleX said:
I said if you are unable to defend vs a 6 pool yet try this and maybe you will not get 6 pooled. Since only lowbies 6 pool, I gave advice that might fool the opposing lowbie. There is no point giving a lowbie pro advice when preforming such things is still beyond them.

I never said anything about it "defending" against one happening, that was all you lot.

You really need to get off your high horse.

Your logic simply doesn't make sense. You are insulting the knowledge and ability of "lowbies", but at the same time you expect a "lowbie" to 1. scout their opponent's base before rushing their Zerglings in, and 2. recognize a possible proxy-rush when they scout their opponent's base and see nothing but a Nexus and some Probes.

Do you really think that a so-called "lowbie" would respond by abandoning their Ling rush strategy and instead choosing to build spine crawlers to prevent the fearsome Zealot rush?

fanboi

Banned
I accedently decline someone I think... called Alexander? Had a text regarding that he hated the facebook thing jada jada... :) Re request!

Zefah said:
You really need to get off your high horse.

Your logic simply doesn't make sense. You are insulting the knowledge and ability of "lowbies", but at the same time you expect a "lowbie" to 1. scout their opponent's base before rushing their Zerglings in, and 2. recognize a possible proxy-rush when they scout their opponent's base and see nothing but a Nexus and some Probes.

Do you really think that a so-called "lowbie" would respond by abandoning their Ling rush strategy and instead choosing to build spine crawlers to prevent the fearsome Zealot rush?

No that is all YOUR logic. My advice did not even require scouting, all my advice entailed was "build building over there and you might live". Everything that was NOT that was you lot. Nubs do noobish things due to inexperience that can manipulated, something you refuse to acknowledge.

and fan that was me :lol I really do hate the fackbook bollocks.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ChronicleX said:
Time for me to laugh some more, this time at all the retards who went on and on about hiding buildings not being a viable mindgame tactic.

Well fuck you :lol
http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/3695893/

Nerchio was so concerned about not revealing his race that he didn't properly scout. This is the only reason that this worked. A better look at the workers or around the base and Nerchio would have seen this coming.

So yes, I guess if your opponent is random and you KNOW they're the type to scout but do it sneakily to try and hide their race at the expense of knowing your build order, this MIGHT work.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
The Lamonster said:

Ive only done the Sunken D or whatever its called game. Not bad. Should try out others but I want to usually test them out before so I know what Im doing :lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Almost everyone just runs a scout around the base. Not walling off as Terran just doesn't benefit the player in nearly every situation.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ChronicleX said:
No that is all YOUR logic. My advice did not even require scouting, all my advice entailed was "build building over there and you might live". Everything that was NOT that was you lot. Nubs do noobish things due to inexperience that can manipulated, something you refuse to acknowledge.

Hrmm, well here is your original post that started this whole shit storm:

ChronicleX said:
I still find the best way to avoid a zergling rush is one of the following -

1 - Fake Proxy. If terran build slightly outside of base (a place they will not scout) then fly it back, as Protoss hide it in a base corner or somewhere near your natural expansion. They will then think they are gonna be rushed and will waste lava on zergling / spine crawler, slowing them down.

2 - Base trade.

3 - Build around your mineral line, giving lings less room to move.

It reads as if you are suggesting that by doing a fake proxy, you might be able to avoid a Zergling rush. I don't see how it can be interpreted any other way. You have now stated that this will only work with newbies. What I am saying is: why would a newbie, who doesn't know a whole lot about the game, stop his or her rush when they see nothing at the opponent's base. This is especially dubious if the Zerg player didn't scout. Why would they, upon arriving at a completely undefended main base with 6 or so Zerglings, decide to abandon their rush and high-tail it back to their base?

Oh well, at least we can agree that Facebook is crap.

iamblades

ChronicleX said:

Your advice was still nonsensical, as a 6 pool is an all in unscouted strategy, so there is 0 chance that hiding buildings would have any effect.

You can't scout with a 6 pool cause you only have 6 drones and you can't spare the mining time, and because it's an all in play, by the time any scout gets there it will be too late to change anything because you will be so far behind in econ.

So all your advice would to is cause him to lose 100% of the time he gets any kind of zergling rush.

So basically you deserved the treatment you received for advocating such a braindead strategy.

V_Arnold

Zefah said:
Hrmm, well here is your original post that started this whole shit storm:

And the best part is this :

"Fake Proxy. If terran build slightly outside of base (a place they will not scout) then fly it back, as Protoss hide it in a base corner or somewhere near your natural expansion. They will then think they are gonna be rushed and will waste lava on zergling / spine crawler, slowing them down.
"

For someone, who wants to do a 6 pool rush, the tactic against them is to FORCE THEM TO WASTE LARVE ON ZERGLING! :D

...oh wait, that is what they initially do, loool.

Zefah said:
It reads as if you are suggesting that by doing a fake proxy, you might be able to avoid a Zergling rush. I don't see how it can be interpreted any other way. You have now stated that this will only work with newbies. What I am saying is: why would a newbie, who doesn't know a whole lot about the game, stop his or her rush when they see nothing at the opponent's base. This is especially dubious if the Zerg player didn't scout. Why would they, upon arriving at a completely undefended main base with 6 or so Zerglings, decide to abandon their rush and high-tail it back to their base?

Oh well, at least we can agree that Facebook is crap.

The advice it was for was a lowbie, so I gave advice that required no skill that would fool an opposing lowbie. It was you lot who took it as "general all purpose advice" that everyone should use. I have not just now stated it was lowbie advice, I stated that in the beginning, middle and end.

Plus I am glad I am not alone with my hate towards Facebook. That shit is like Myspace 2.0..... It took Facebook to kill Myspace, so what is going to kill facebook I wonder? All I can think of is a site that not only allows you to post all your personal details, but has a you appear on Google Earth 24-7 that automatically updates your status with every single thing you do.......

I mean how the fuck did that shit become popular........

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
watervengeance said:
Not this shit again...
i2q82d.gif

I dont know how that picture is a response but I figured its better than the debate going on

Yaweee

ChronicleX said:
Plus I am glad I am not alone with my hate towards Facebook. That shit is like Myspace 2.0..... It took Facebook to kill Myspace, so what is going to kill facebook I wonder? All I can think of is a site that not only allows you to post all your personal details, but has a you appear on Google Earth 24-7 that automatically updates your status with every single thing you do.......

I mean how the fuck did that shit become popular........

All-in-all, Facebook is a great way to keep in contact with people, especially friends you don't see all that often or have fallen away from over the years. You'd be surprised to see how many people that you haven't really talked to in years will invite you to parties if they see you're active on Facebook, or you comment on the stuff they post. It's also helps know when friends are back in town once you're at the point in life where well over 50% of your friends have moved to different parts of the country.

It isn't without its problems, but people use it for real reasons, not just some BS fad status.

Mudkips

Banned
So this chroniclex guy suggests that a Terran player should NOT wall off his ramp when facing a random in a 1v1?

:lol

I love my reaper cheese, but you bet your ass I'm walling my shit off.
Even if they see my fucking tech lab they have to guess if I'm going reapers or marauders, and have to scramble to defend. The correct response will be to hit me fast, or dig in with excess photon cannons, spine crawlers/speedlings, or MMWarz!/bunkers. If they can hit me quick, they winz. If they win the first push, they can push back and winz.

But what they don't know is that I lifted my barracks off and sat it at his natural, then built a war factory. Then I built a techlab for the war factory and a starport at the old barracks' tech lab. Then I lifted the warfactory off and put it somewhere else on the map to scout some shit and built a second starport at its old techlab. Reaper cheese was a lie. Reeper cheese was actually banshee rush.

Cru Jones

ChronicleX said:
The advice it was for was a lowbie, so I gave advice that required no skill that would fool an opposing lowbie. It was you lot who took it as "general all purpose advice" that everyone should use. I have not just now stated it was lowbie advice, I stated that in the beginning, middle and end.

I think what you are failing to understand is the following:

1) You are stating that this advice is for a “lowbie” against another “lowbie”
2) You are giving the opposing “lowbie” enough credit that if he doesn’t see buildings when he scouts that he will realize he is being proxied and pull back
a. The argument against you is that you are giving the opposing “lowbie” too much credit in that he will be able to recognize that there is a proxy happening and be “psyched out” when it turns out to be a fake proxy.
b. A majority of the people would argue that the opposing “lowbie’s” reaction to no buildings in the base would be “great, I will send in my zerglings now” (an opinion which I agree with)

If the opposing player is a “lowbie” he won’t even recognize that he is being proxied and just continue with the rush and win.

I can’t decide if you are just being extremely stubborn or if you just don’t get it. I will give you some credit and just believe that you realize what you said made no sense, but you are just being stubborn about it.

Yaweee

ChronicleX said:
That might of been how it started out but not how it has ended up. For more info See the SP Episode "You have 0 Friends". Twitter is just as bad in some cases. This sums up what I think of that.

That might be how it started, and that's how it still is. It's just been caked with more random shit that is completely optional to partake in. Nobody I know really fucking cares about # of friends.

Cru Jones said:
I can’t decide if you are just being extremely stubborn or if you just don’t get it. I will give you some credit and just believe that you realize what you said made no sense, but you are just being stubborn about it.

No the problem is you lot being stubbon about point C, the point I am enforcing.

C - Noobs are easily fooled and manipulated by performing certain actions.

Inexperienced players normally read guides/forum posts instead of thinking for themselfs. My advice was to take advantage of that, instead of telling the person something they have already read/been told that they are unable to preform yet.

Yaweee said:
That might be how it started, and that's how it still is. It's just been caked with more random shit that is completely optional to partake in. Nobody I know really fucking cares about # of friends.

Then why the hell does everyone constantly accept friends with people they do not know / never met. Imagine trying that in the street, poking them and asking "do you want to be my friend? I like Waffles and Ninja's! Here is a picture of my cat in a wig, what do you think?"

mcrae

ChronicleX said:
That might of been how it started out but not how it has ended up. For more info See the SP Episode "You have 0 Friends". Twitter is just as bad in some cases. This sums up what I think of that.

just because you dont have any friends doesnt mean millions of facebook users dont, lol.
(and when i say friends, i mean real people you have connections with. not just the # of 'friends' your profile is connected to.)

it is my primary communication tool for trading shifts at work, secondary to texts.
its the way i keep in contact with friends from college
its the only way i or anyone in my group of friends plan events and let everyone know.

stop being such an asshole, please.

mcrae said:
stop being such an asshole, please.

Take your own advice. Then maybe you can venture outside the basement to meet real people instead of making sweet love to your socks while chatting up someone you have never met (or will meet) on Farmville.

Cru Jones

ChronicleX said:
No the problem is you lot being stubbon about point C, the point I am enforcing.

C - Noobs are easily fooled and manipulated by performing certain actions.

Inexperienced players normally read guides/forum posts instead of thinking for themselfs. My advice was to take advantage of that, instead of telling the person something they have already read/been told that they are unable to preform yet.

That is an absolute massive assumption you are making about "lowbies" and it is one I completely disagree with.

Even IF you were right in saying that all inexperienced players read guides (by the way, you aren't right), you would be giving him advice that would do nothing to improve his play for when he moves on from "lowbie" status.

However, in this case you are giving him advice that is both useless against "lowbies" and also useless against more advanced players as well.

Cru Jones said:
That is an absolute massive assumption you are making about "lowbies" and it is one I completely disagree with.

Even IF you were right in saying that all inexperienced players read guides (by the way, you aren't right), you would be giving him advice that would do nothing to improve his play for when he moves on from "lowbie" status.

However, in this case you are giving him advice that is both useless against "lowbies" and also useless against more advanced players as well.

Just because you disagree with it does not make it fact or absolute. You are making even more pointless assumptions that I honestly cannot be arsed contenting with yet again. If you want to continue being a dick about 20 odd pages ago because you did not understand something then so be it, I will not stop you. However it does not change the fact your opinion is yours and yours alone, so keep it to yourself. This is not the place for it.

Cru Jones

ChronicleX said:

ChronicleX said:
Just because you disagree with it does not make it fact or absolute. You are making even more pointless assumptions that I honestly cannot be arsed contenting with yet again. If you want to continue being a dick about 20 odd pages ago because you did not understand something then so be it, I will not stop you. However it does not change the fact your opinion is yours and yours alone, so keep it to yourself. This is not the place for it.

Maybe you should make up your mind

Top Bottom