• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Bisonian

Annoying Thread Troll said:
BTW I just checked the Bnet forums and Void Rays got a stealth buff apparently but no confirmation.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25170609425&sid=5000

Time will tell.

Copying this over because I know 90% of this thread has him on ignore.

Looks like void rays may be stealth (buffed) down to 200/150 cost, which is kinda silly. Where'd that dude go running around claiming Void Rays were OP then taunted everyone when their range was nerfed by 1?

watervengeance said:
I sincerely hope that they didn't lower the Void Ray cost. PLEASE. I AM A PROTOSS PLAYER AND I DO NOT WANT THIS.

You do not want the first useful buff the protoss has ever received? While I agree it is going to stir up the whole "ZOMG IMBA RAY" shit again (when they are fine as a unit) it is nice to see a protoss buff.

Maybe blizz is ashamed of buffing protoss hence it is undocumented? :lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
watervengeance said:
I sincerely hope that they didn't lower the Void Ray cost. PLEASE. I AM A PROTOSS PLAYER AND I DO NOT WANT THIS.
While void ray army is cheap...I wish Protoss had some sort of Air that we can use. Phoenix are alright but need good numbers to be useful...void rays seem to be cheap tactic...and carriers take 10minutes to make...

Corran Horn said:
While void ray army is cheap...I wish Protoss had some sort of Air that we can use. Phoenix are alright but need good numbers to be useful...void rays seem to be cheap tactic...and carriers take 10minutes to make...

An easy change for that would be upgrades for the phoenix, make them stronger as a unit but make it so that grav ability requires a tech. Personally I would like it so their Grav beam can be used on air units to drag them to the ground to allow your Zealots / Collossi / Immortals to hit them.

Bisonian

The situation report is here, no mention of the Void Ray change although someone with the patch already downloaded can check it easily enough (I'm guessing it's unchanged):

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25172119450&sid=5000

Blizzard said:
We would like to thank everyone for taking part in the StarCraft II beta. Your contributions to the beta process have been enormous. Each game and every player who has been actively participating has made an impact on the ongoing balance of the game and every game played has brought to light any possible strengths and weaknesses of the various units and races.

While we are getting to the end of this phase of the beta, we still need your participation and feedback for our latest balance changes in patch 14. As we have in previous reports, we have taken the time to explain a bit more about the changes that have been made and our thoughts on them.

Viking- Ground damage decreased from 14 to 12.

The Viking’s damage has been reduced to make them a little less effective on the ground. Massed Vikings were a little too powerful in a few late game scenarios. Vikings have also become very dominant in terran vs. terran matches and we are testing to see if a small damage reduction will make some other units more viable.

Archon- Build time decreased from 17 to 12.

Archons can now merge a little faster so “mid battle merges” will be a little bit more practical.

Ultralisk- Anabolic Synthesis upgrade removed. - Health increased from 450 to 500.- Speed increased from 2.25 to 2.9531.

Ultralisks have been buffed to include their speed upgrade as by default and to give them a little more endurance in big fights. This may or may not be enough to get the Ultralisk ultimately where we want him to be. We will continue testing going forward.

Infestor- Burrowed move speed increased from 1 to 2.- Peristalsis upgrade removed.
Roach- Organic Carapace upgrade removed.- Tunneling Claws now also increases burrowed regeneration rate from 5 to 10.

There are many different upgrades on the zerg, the Roach and the Infestor both had three upgrades. We are reducing and combining these upgrades so the units get a little bit more powerful or so that you have to buy fewer upgrades to complete your units. We have also reduced the cost of several energy abilities on the Zerg that didn’t see a lot of use. We will continue to monitor these abilities moving forward.

e: Void Rays are unchanged. As always, if your source is the battle.net forums, you have no source.

Won

Ultralisks don't look too bad now.

Eh, not sure how ground damage nerf to Vikings help in TvT. Tanks do the ground damage here and cheap Vikings prevent air units as counter.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Won said:
Ultralisks don't look too bad now.
agreed, im liking these zerg changes.

speed and forcefield chrush will see them leading the way versus toss [for once] rather than tiptoeing around zerglings. hopefully they're strong enough to force heavier robotics armies. as a late game compliment to mutaling.

ChronicleX said:
You do not want the first useful buff the protoss has ever received? While I agree it is going to stir up the whole "ZOMG IMBA RAY" shit again (when they are fine as a unit) it is nice to see a protoss buff.

Maybe blizz is ashamed of buffing protoss hence it is undocumented? :lol

This is the one buff I would not want.

While they are very easy to kill in the early game if the Protoss tries to do a VR rush, they are so powerful in the late game if you mass them up. Lowering their cost makes this tech switch even easier.

I am not screaming IMBA or anything, but just watch what happens in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iysFMu_NIro

Personally, I think that the Void Ray should only be accessible if you get a Fleet Beacon. A better buff to Protoss Air would be the Phoenix. They are just so damned fragile and don't enough damage, a characteristic not suited for the Protoss in my opinion.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
watervengeance said:
This is the one buff I would not want.

While they are very easy to kill in the early game if the Protoss tries to do a VR rush, they are so powerful in the late game if you mass them up. Lowering their cost makes this tech switch even easier.

I am not screaming IMBA or anything, but just watch what happens in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iysFMu_NIro

Personally, I think that the Void Ray should only be accessible if you get a Fleet Beacon. A better buff to Protoss Air would be the Phoenix. They are just so damned fragile and don't enough damage, a characteristic not suited for the Protoss in my opinion.

I'd have to agree... Painuser definitely should not have lost that game... but then again, I don't know. Maybe thats what you get when you turtle up build mostly tanks?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Vikings have also become very dominant in terran vs. terran matches and we are testing to see if a small damage reduction will make some other units more viable.
:lol :lol :lol Downside is that they 4 shot workers instead of 3 :[

Also Ultralisks have been nerfed from their original form. All this bullshit about armor changes and speed are nothing compared to the fact that they only do 33% splash instead of 100% splash. Plus they act stupid. 1 Ultra on a ramp will cost you the game since it will block your entire army :lol

*As for VoidRays one of their main strengths is their fast attack speed (so low overkill) and instant target aqusition (no time wasted changing targets) PLUS the fact they can attack while moving in a cluster (air units). All of those things combined with a good amount of HP, a handy speed upgrade, and the insane amount of map control they offer makes them a very good unit.

They aren't imbalanced, but rather too easy to use for many players and it is causing problems. I like VR opening when I play Terran because I have a ton of marines to spare and I just push out since their robo will be delayed.

FoxSpirit

pedr0theli0n said:
I'd have to agree... Painuser definitely should not have lost that game... but then again, I don't know. Maybe thats what you get when you turtle up build mostly tanks?

Yep. Recently won a match by doing a huge all in build to 40 mutas when he had a mixed army. No contest.

A well timed push to mass air is so satisfying :D

eosos

Banned
I just patched and I'm getting like 1 FPS at the menus. Anyone else have this problem? The game crashes before I can actually finish loading a game.
Specs..

GTX 480
i7 @ 4.0 GHz
12 GB RAM
W7
120GB SSD
1TB HDD

edit: if I put it on low it runs smoothly..

F#A#Oo

Banned
Blizzard might as well just remove the Roach...it has probably been the most nerfed unit in the beta...they seriously don't want people to use them. :lol

Cheeto

I'm guessing the Ultras still need to stop briefly to attack? Hmm, still that increased speed may just be what they needed.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
finally got around to doing my placements. >_> im so lazy.

gotta say:
xdgyh0.jpg

that is the most badass division name ever.
like this is cooler then when i was in plat div 1.

also yay for protoss FFFeing on scrap station. makes me say fuckitall and nydus in 120 speedlings.

watervengeance said:
Did they fix the ladder/placement bug or the replay/minimap bug yet?

well panda just posted a screenie of finishing his placements so I assume so. Minimap bug no idea, but I hope so. Luckily for me I have only ever had it happen to me when watching replays.

Ikael

Hmm, nice patch changes, but still there is a lot more work to do. Ultralisks are still in dire need of an overhaul and basically, they need to define what they role is, and I have yet to see one zerg player use frenzy.

Protoss also do need some changes. If they want to potenciate the archon as a last ditch effort of making high templars useful after they have used their psi storms, they need to make their fusion almost intantly. Also, please, make the mothership useful somehow, and buff either the range or the damage of the phoenix in order to give the Protoss a viable counter against the MMC (Massive Mutalisk Cloud) . And for everything that it is sacred: do not buff the void ray anymore, it is fine already.

About Terran, I thought they were balanced already. I really don't get the Vicking nerf.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Adds 2 more hits to kill tanks so they don't trade in gas if they drop on tank lines... I'm guessing.
Also 3->4 hits weakens worker harass.

Chris R

Overload speed change is interesting. Basically it goes from an instant no brainer to a hmmn if I can spare it right now kinda thing.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Trasher said:
:lol I know right!
seeing the giant deep blue wall of 20 sentry guardian shields warms my heart. :p

--
the ffa was the best tho.

lolzerg, i can base trade you for free. lose my main? whatever. I AM THE SWARM.
lolprotoss, you think you can snipe my expand? i can walk back and clean you out. I AM THE OVERMIND.
lolterran you think... wait... you guys, stop. stop you guys. YOU GUYS!
*blargh*

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
eosos said:
I just patched and I'm getting like 1 FPS at the menus. Anyone else have this problem? The game crashes before I can actually finish loading a game.
Specs..

GTX 480
i7 @ 4.0 GHz
12 GB RAM
W7
120GB SSD
1TB HDD

edit: if I put it on low it runs smoothly..
your computer is literally too good

is that i7 overclocked?

Bisonian

Cheeto said:
I'm guessing the Ultras still need to stop briefly to attack? Hmm, still that increased speed may just be what they needed.

Speed is not increased, they just get their speed boost upgrade innately instead of having to research it. They still act exactly as they did before the patch with the upgrade.

Er... you did used to get the speed up for your ultralisks didn't you? Ah, trick question. No one goes ultralisks, and +50 hp probably doesn't help all that much to change that.

Zertez

rhfb said:
Overload speed change is interesting. Basically it goes from an instant no brainer to a hmmn if I can spare it right now kinda thing.
It is still a no brainer. With the walloff, it is pretty much the only way for Zerg to scout now, past the early drone base scout. It is just going to force Zerg players to make a tough choice between teching up to Mutas or getting a scout out. You will have to choose between the Spire or the Speed.

My comment about Ultras and the force field was a bad joke and the horrible dance they do. They break through the force fields and then do a stupid dance when working their way around units. Using them in an army composition usually goes, the Ultra leads the way, breaks forcefield then hits Zealots or Sentries, and then it does it dance and dies before it can do much damage. I wont talk about ramps and Terran units, those fights are beyond ugly.

They need to make up their mind what role they want the Ultra to fill. Blizzard needs to decide what they want them to be, if it is the late game tank unit for Zerg, building destroyer, a shredder of tier 1 units, or a heavy armor killer. Right now their damage against tier 1 units is weak, their hp is a tad low for a tank, and they lack the mobility to get through an army to approach the heavy armor units(tanks, thors, colossus) or buildings. They have little tweaks to help in all areas, but lack anything good to help them do well in any role. They continue to tweak them in weird ways and not focus on any type of serviceable unit role, as long as they continue to make these types of changes, they will continue to blow. I hope a pro prove my suspicions wrong and come up with a build that makes Ultras shine.

Cheeto

Bisonian said:
Speed is not increased, they just get their speed boost upgrade innately instead of having to research it. They still act exactly as they did before the patch with the upgrade.

Er... you did used to get the speed up for your ultralisks didn't you? Ah, trick question. No one goes ultralisks, and +50 hp probably doesn't help all that much to change that.
:lol I never teched to ultras before, so I never really bothered to know what their speed was with the upgrade

Zertez

Cheeto said:
:lol I never teched to ultras before, so I never really bothered to know what their speed was with the upgrade
Dont worry, you havent missed much not getting them, outside of wasting a ton of gas/minerals on a useless unit.

Bisonian

Zertez said:
Dont worry, you havent missed much not getting them, outside of wasting a ton of gas/minerals on a useless unit.

The ultralisk is the 'fatality' of starcraft... you can only use it after you've already won a match, and you basically bust it out because you want to embarrass your opponent.

Also, chicks dig the ultralisk.

Sloegr

Bisonian said:
The ultralisk is the 'fatality' of starcraft... you can only use it after you've already won a match, and you basically bust it out because you want to embarrass your opponent.

Also, chicks dig the ultralisk.

The Ultra is the new Scout? Quite a fall from glory.

Thanks guys for testing out Lotus Prime and Chaos Sanctum with me, was fun :D

I finally figured out how to fix the starting locations on this 4v4 map to work for 2v2 also, so whenever you guys are down for it, I'd love to test this out. Ideally I'd like to test it with 4v4 but it's hard to get 8 players at a time, I'm just glad I was able to make the start locations work for 2v2.

Tempest:

dgncky.jpg

Edit: Regarding Lotus Prime: Did you think the map was better by me removing the dirt path connecting the north and south naturals on each side? Or do you think I should change it back?

Trasher

MisterAnderson said:
Thanks guys for testing out Lotus Prime and Chaos Sanctum with me, was fun :D

I finally figured out how to fix the starting locations on this 4v4 map to work for 2v2 also, so whenever you guys are down for it, I'd love to test this out. Ideally I'd like to test it with 4v4 but it's hard to get 8 players at a time, I'm just glad I was able to make the start locations work for 2v2.

Tempest:
Yo, I need to add you again. Hit me with your email. I wanna try out your maps!

cramcakes

Pandaman said:
seeing the giant deep blue wall of 20 sentry guardian shields warms my heart. :p

--
the ffa was the best tho.

lolzerg, i can base trade you for free. lose my main? whatever. I AM THE SWARM.
lolprotoss, you think you can snipe my expand? i can walk back and clean you out. I AM THE OVERMIND.
lolterran you think... wait... you guys, stop. stop you guys. YOU GUYS!
*blargh*

:lol , in my defense I had a squirming 15 month old in my lap hitting the spacebar and I was ready for the match to be over. In hind site I should had went after zealous. But yeah, great game. Could one of you guys post the full replay? I wanted to stay and watch but in ffa you are denied that.

DaFish

watervengeance said:
Ladder still broken? Still says placement matches despite my profile saying that I'm already ranked.
yes and no... They still show placement matches in the quick match screen, but post game you can see the points you gain or loose and your current rank.

Top Bottom