• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

ChronicleX said:
It was retaliation but too extreme due to the level of flame. I am not the one going through the topic saying "that is stupid" or "ban this guy" etc etc, I am merely defending myself from the swarm of stupidity.

Also by talking about this here the trolls win, so back to SCII.
I've steered clear from your immaturity up to this point but would like to add that whatever you call it, you're shitting up this thread so quit it. Stop baiting and picking fights.

However, I do agree with you that we should start talking about the StarCraft II beta. 4 days left.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ChronicleX said:
You really need to start watching more of TLO's replays :lol
oh you're a groupie? :lol
thats even worse, atleast keep your johnny tendency to yourself.

l2p zerg, you aren't TLO, catching someone off guard as a random player in a best of series wont get anyone anywhere as a zerg main playing casual singles. situational strategy's are called situational for a reason.

you aren't helping someone by suggesting a one off strategy you saw on a livestream and thought was cool. you're just encouraging a bad building habit that will lose him more games then it will win him and you aren't encouraging an understanding that will help him determine when and where those obscure strategies are legitimate options.

Pandaman said:

l2p zerg, you aren't TLO, catching someone off guard as a random player in a best of series wont get anyone anywhere as a zerg main playing casual singles. situational strategy's are called situational for a reason.

Outside of the element of surprise a random zerg is the same as a non random zerg. Secondly if I have something to say on a SCII topic that is SCII related I will say it. Comment on that, discuss that but stop with the Trolling. Keep your "johnny tendency" to yourself if all you are going todo is slander.

you aren't helping someone by suggesting a one off strategy you saw on a livestream and thought was cool. you're just encouraging a bad building habit that will lose him more games then it will win him and you aren't encouraging an understanding that will help him determine when and where those obscure strategies are legitimate options.

Sladering me helps no-one apart from increase your troll-o-meter. Secondly ofc it is situational, but the discussion was about something that IS situational so what is your point exactly? Are you even reading this topic anymore because I seriously doubt it.

Cru Jones

Pandaman said:

Not to be the defender of chronicle, but we were very much talking about a specific instance where you see that your opponent is trying to go mass zealot at the beginning as a zerg player. We were specifically talking about a situational strategy.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ChronicleX said:
Outside of the element of surprise a random zerg is the same as a non random zerg.
you honestly dontthink TLO being random might not be a factor in his ability to be a bit more flexiblewith his starting build orders? [and his skill level being high enough to compensate when they go wrong]. those are both huge factors in his success, so when you say 'lol watch more TLO replays' to justify the hairbrained BO of the week [abuild order your suggesting to someone new to zrg] i feel comfortable calling that stupid.

'TLO does it, so its viable' is not an argument, especially since you seem incapable of understanding how and why it works when TLO does it.

Secondly if I have something to say on a SCII topic that is SCII related I will say it. Comment on that, discuss that but stop with the Trolling. Keep your "johnny tendency" to yourself if all you are going todo is slander.
i guess l2p zerg was too specific, l2p strategy games would have worked.
player tendencies in how they go about constructing or using a build or mechanic has everything to do with starcraft 2.
you dont even know what a johnny is, do you? :lol

Sladering me helps no-one apart from increase your troll-o-meter. Secondly ofc it is situational, but the discussion was about something that IS situational so what is your point exactly? Are you even reading this topic anymore because I seriously doubt it.
Situational to a an extent where its utterly inapplicable to the standard level of play being discussed. equivalent to telling a chess noob to always whore knights when he sees a bishop active in the early game. its completely unproductive when there are safe standard alternatives that are natural evolutions of standard play.

cru jones said:
Not to be the defender of chronicle, but we were very much talking about a specific instance where you see that your opponent is trying to go mass zealot at the beginning as a zerg player. We were specifically talking about a situational strategy.
Sorry, i should have been more clear. :(
situational in the sense that it fits the situation TLO used it in [which is what he appealed to when questioned], not necessarily situational to vanilla double gate Vs zerg.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Panda, Alumnus and I had an equally salty and equally insane argument with him over his idea of hiding buildings to deter proxies instead of walling off. Don't bother. If you present logical counter-arguments he'll ignore them and continue thinking whatever he's thinking.

Everyone else, don't ever skip a queen, ever.

EDIT: Upon revisiting this thread for the first time in a few days it looks like gaf is playing sc again! Headed back to bnet hoooooooooooo.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ChronicleX said:
I am flamed no-one. However you lot have been trolling / flaming me for many pages now. I am surprised you have not been banned yet since you are not contributing to this topic by posting such things.

Retaliation is not flaming, it is defence. You are flaming me, I retaliate. Retaliation is allowed, your flaming/off-topic posts are not. Do the math.

No. What's happening is that people are attacking your strategies. You're retaliating by attacking people. And even if people were actually flaming first, that still wouldn't excuse your behavior. "Retaliation" is not allowed. There's no such thing as justified self defense in fucking conversation.

The Lamonster said:
I've steered clear from your immaturity up to this point but would like to add that whatever you call it, you're shitting up this thread so quit it. Stop baiting and picking fights.

However, I do agree with you that we should start talking about the StarCraft II beta. 4 days left.
I'd like to echo this thought. I don't post much in here but I read it quite often and you, ChronicleX, have been the #1 reason why people are getting off-topic. You are no better with your name calling and elitist attitude. Please just stop and let constructive SC2 conversation take over this thread again.

And even though I have you ignored, I can't stop the others from continuing to bicker with you instead of talking about the game. (Some have done well with just letting it go) I'm actually surprised this thread hasn't been destroyed by how much bullshit has been thrown around here for the last bunch of pages. The source of which has been ChronicleX.

So back to SC2 please.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Procarbine said:
Panda, Alumnus and I had an equally salty and equally insane argument with him over his idea of hiding buildings to deter proxies instead of walling off. Don't bother. If you present logical counter-arguments he'll ignore them and continue thinking whatever he's thinking.

Everyone else, don't ever skip a queen, ever.

EDIT: Upon revisiting this thread for the first time in a few days it looks like gaf is playing sc again! Headed back to bnet hoooooooooooo.
woo zerg mirrors without roaches! [probably]

hope to see you :D [you always made my inner idra happy]

ZealousD said:
No. What's happening is that people are attacking your strategies. You're retaliating by attacking people. And even if people were actually flaming first, that still wouldn't excuse your behavior. "Retaliation" is not allowed. There's no such thing as justified self defense in fucking conversation.

Then make a convo instead of slandering me at every turn. You ARE flaming me with such events, if you just STFU I would have nothing to retaliate against now would I? It takes 2 to tango kiddo.

As such you have derailed the topic yet again, though to be fair it was panda that started it.

Pandaman said:
Sorry, i should have been more clear. :(
situational in the sense that it fits the situation TLO used it in [which is what he appealed to when questioned], not necessarily situational to vanilla double gate Vs zerg.

How do you know? Have you seen what I saw in order to come up with that conclusion? No, you are just assuming it was a 1-off livestream thing and not something I have seen many times (mainly on incineration zone) that has worked. Stop being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk, your random assumptions are not justification.

Spookie said:
If you're in the UK gamegears(.co.uk) is selling this for £30 only for the first 100 copies though.
I'm in the US, but if I wanted to play against people in the EU region, would I need to buy a key from there? I'm not really sure how that works yet.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Went back to finish my placement matches, had to do 2. Both ZvZ. I'm playing using my laptop keyboard, which I haven't used before for sc (was using a usb one because this had been broken) so in general I'm very VERY slow.

First game in metalopolis. I 14 pool, he spawns adjacent and I see with my overlord that he either 9 or 10 pooled, as it was up when I got there but with a half decent drone count. Do the usual fake proxy
save larvae for 6 zerglings and throw down 2 spine crawlers
to deter it, fended it off with virtually no loss, get to his base with leftover zerglings and he had almost nothing, I guess he was trying to macro up or something. Killed his queen and half of his drones, gg there, although not right away.

Second game on Kulas, zerg 10 pools again, I defend the same way, get to his base where he was trying to expand, had no zerglings to defend. Kill morphing spine crawler and start on the hatch while taking my own natural, he just leaves. Oh placement.

Diamond ahoy.

Cheeto

Procarbine said:
Went back to finish my placement matches, had to do 2. Both ZvZ. I'm playing using my laptop keyboard, which I haven't used before for sc (was using a usb one because this had been broken) so in general I'm very VERY slow.

First game in metalopolis. I 14 pool, he spawns adjacent and I see with my overlord that he either 9 or 10 pooled, as it was up when I got there but with a half decent drone count. Do the usual fake proxy
save larvae for 6 zerglings and throw down 2 spine crawlers
to deter it, fended it off with virtually no loss, get to his base with leftover zerglings and he had almost nothing, I guess he was trying to macro up or something. Killed his queen and half of his drones, gg there, although not right away.

Second game on Kulas, zerg 10 pools again, I defend the same way, get to his base where he was trying to expand, had no zerglings to defend. Kill morphing spine crawler and start on the hatch while taking my own natural, he just leaves. Oh placement.

Diamond ahoy.
Nice, you playing random or Zerg now?

And I need to get everyone's name/email or however the hell you add people now, again

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Cheeto said:
Nice, you playing random or Zerg now?

And I need to get everyone's name/email or however the hell you add people now, again

I've dabbled in random in 2v2, to get my icon mostly, but I'm sticking to zerg. I like terran, but something about protoss just doesn't jive with me.

I play TheoryCraft.

I play everyday, but not as much as I used to because I'm so busy and can't waste much time on this game. I'm actually GLAD they're ending the Beta so I can actually get work done.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Leviathan1 said:
You think this'll run on 1.8 GHZ Celeron M with a gig of ram? In terms of graphics card don't even ask!

Also: anyone have a beta key?

It might boot up, but it will most likely run like shit even under the lowest settings and at like 800x600 resolution. You're probably better off waiting until you have a more capable machine.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ive grown addicted to Composition Wars. I want to try a rush of 2 on the same side :lol

edit: new patch coming in few days...
A full database wipe is coming with #SC2 beta patch 15. Check out the full details here: http://cot.ag/cQs6eJ
In the near future, we will be doing another full reset of the beta database in order to test new changes. This reset will wipe the following information for all players:

* Character and identifier
* Friends list
* League placement
* Ladder rank

Due to the amount of people currently participating in the beta, this database reset will allow us to monitor and test conditions similar to a game release (albeit smaller). We want to thank everyone for their patience and continued help and support in testing StarCraft II.

Maybe just server wipe to test how well the servers will hold...or maybe something nifty? :( *lol at identifiers being wiped*

Zen

Banned
Stop trolling him, christ. Each and every one of you, including him, is pathetic for carrying this on and needs to shut the fuck up and grow up. You're all embarrassing yourselves and it's really sad to see a bunch of you being massive hypocrites while lying through your teeth that you're being any better than he is.

The lol worthy face palm is when he's the only one accused of baiting.

Grow up.

Wait, this shit is still going on? I thought it ended Tuesday or something? I wasn't ever able to even patch the fucking thing because I ain't got IE and didn't think it worth fussing over if it ended so soon.

Corran Horn

Son of Godzilla said:
Wait, this shit is still going on? I thought it ended Tuesday or something? I wasn't ever able to even patch the fucking thing because I ain't got IE and didn't think it worth fussing over if it ended so soon.
extended to 7th

Corran Horn

Wow patch 15 notes already posted...
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23094049316&postId=251691264421&sid=5000#18
StarCraft II Beta – Patch 15 (version 0.17.0.15623)

The latest patch notes can always be found at
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23094049316&sid=5000

General

* Improved the system that handles initial placement and promotion/relegation between Leagues & Ladders.

Balance Changes

* TERRAN

o Hellion

+ Weapon upgrade bonus decreased from 1 (+1 Light) to 1.

o Reaper

+ Nitro Packs research cost decreased from 100/100 to 50/50.

o Siege Tank

+ Siege Mode damage decreased from 60 to 50.

o Thor

+ Anti-air weapon upgrade bonus decreased from 1 (+1 Light) to 1.

* ZERG

o Brood Lord

+ Weapon upgrade bonus decreased from 3 to 2.

Bug Fixes

* Resolved an issue with publishing maps in non-English locales.

[ Post edited by Zarhym ]

Zertez

Corran Horn said:
Wow patch 15 notes already posted...
StarCraft II Beta – Patch 15 (version 0.17.0.15623)

The latest patch notes can always be found at
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...49316&sid=5000

General

* Improved the system that handles initial placement and promotion/relegation between Leagues & Ladders.

Balance Changes

* TERRAN

o Hellion

+ Weapon upgrade bonus decreased from 1 (+1 Light) to 1.

o Reaper

+ Nitro Packs research cost decreased from 100/100 to 50/50.

o Siege Tank

+ Siege Mode damage decreased from 60 to 50.

o Thor

+ Anti-air weapon upgrade bonus decreased from 1 (+1 Light) to 1.

* ZERG

o Brood Lord

+ Weapon upgrade bonus decreased from 3 to 2.

Bug Fixes

* Resolved an issue with publishing maps in non-English locales.

[ Post edited by Zarhym ]
Broodlord nerf sucks, but I can live with it. Nerf to Mech is much needed though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
my shitty bronze (probably silver if were were to reroll) self likes this new patch

Yaweee

Great news. Vast changes to both the league and rating systems are still going to be necessary though.

The Terran changes seem pretty nice. Cheaper nitro packs might make Reapers used more in the mid/late games, and the Mech changes basically let Zerg units maybe, just maybe, actually reach their targets before dying horribly.

kilongs said:
lol

I just got rick rolled by a dota map!
Yeah, me too. The first time rickrolling actually was funny. (I didn't know you could embed videos in SC2 maps either)

Played a bunch of 1v1s as Zerg today, went pretty okay, even though I had extremely heavy lag in some games. I'm talking 15 seconds of not being able to do anything. Seemed to be BNet related because my opponent lagged at the same time as well. Anyways, I still get distracted really easily and thrown off my build. Early aggression is really uncool. :lol Really liking Zerg though. It's really easy to snap back after you lost a couple units, and if the game goes longer than 10 minutes, I'm usually ahead macro-wise (if the player isn't way better than me and keep in mind that I'm Silver league) because with 2-3 hatcheries and 2-3 queens you can really get a lot of stuff really quickly.

One particular game I lost to mass Siege Tanks. Guess that's a way to counter roach-heavy play. I did manage to get some Mutas, but he destroyed my expo really early on and kept up the pressure and my micro isn't all that great. I will definitely rewatch this replay and see what went wrong.

edit/ Patch changes.. hmm, I guess they want to make Reapers more viable for late game because the upgrade is now basically a no brainer if you build any Reapers? Or am I misreading that?

Believe it or not, but the Siege Tank nerf is also a stealth Protoss buff. It means that an early Protoss push survives a lot longer. This however, does little to nothing for the late game. It just means Terrans have to get slightly more Tanks before hitting a critical number of tanks.

Top Bottom