• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Zen

Banned
Mardil said:
WTF reaper rush more viable now? I know it is extremely counterable, but its annoying as hell.

Man, Reaper harass is amazingly effective at bronze-gold level. Especially against Protoss if they haven't put a cannon in their mineral line. If they aren't getting stalkers ASAP you can farily easily Micro their Zealots that come to stop you, especially with the speed upgrade being 50/50 now, I wonder how soon I could manage to sneak the upgrade into production.

I haven't used Reaper rush for a while, preferring to get tanks/air sooner, but I might try it again with the reduced upgrade costs.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love it if some of you guys posted some of your game replays in this thread. The more replays I watch, the wider my SC vocab of possible strategies gets.

If only I played as much as I thought about this game. I usually only play one or two matches a day, if that. Once I finish one match I'm usually spent. It's hard to get myself motivated to start over again without a bit of a cooldown time.

mcrae

so my 1.5 TB harddrive isnt being recognized by windows anymore, apparantly because it is not genuine? but anyways i decided after 4 days o just reinstall SC2 on my windows harddrive.... so in the midst of downloading the game client. anyone know how big all the patches are?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
mcrae said:
so my 1.5 TB harddrive isnt being recognized by windows anymore, apparantly because it is not genuine? but anyways i decided after 4 days o just reinstall SC2 on my windows harddrive.... so in the midst of downloading the game client. anyone know how big all the patches are?
The only really big one was the Game editor patch...which was around 500MB...the rest were not too large

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
for the last week or so it has said I've had four placement matches yet when in reality my ladder placement has been advancing in my profile screen.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Mardil said:
WTF reaper rush more viable now? I know it is extremely counterable, but its annoying as hell.
i think it's suppose to be encouragement for later reaper use. i dont think blizzard wants them to be as useless as they are late game

Mardil

-COOLIO- said:
i think it's suppose to be encouragement for later reaper use. i dont think blizzard wants them to be as useless as they are late game
The only use I see for reapers late game is trying to sneak them to the enemy mineral lines while you are attacking on another part of the map, hoping your opponent is distracted. Trying to get them into a big fight would just seem like suicide to me.

mcrae

Mardil said:
The only use I see for reapers late game is trying to sneak them to the enemy mineral lines while you are attacking on another part of the map, hoping your opponent is distracted. Trying to get them into a big fight would just seem like suicide to me.

well considering the upgrade is to speed, which wouldnt have a huge effect for a ranged unit in a mass battle, i think your evaluation of their best use is pretty accurate. i'd like to see my terran partners try this more often. reapers can go where mutas cant, sometimes.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Damn I want to watch SC1 videos, all of Husky's and HD's SC1 videos are gone. Anyone know if they are randomly hosted somewhere? or a torrent? :(

Zen

Banned
Mardil said:

Well they do nice damage against Lings/Hydras/Zealots and have only slightly less HP than a Shield upgraded Marine. I've incorporated them a few times to generally good results. I'm not were near the pro level though.

legend166

So, I'm just getting across the issue that online play is going to be region locked. I can hardly believe it because it makes zero sense.

First question: Do we know if Australia is going to have its own region or will we be lumped in with the States?

Secondly, even if the answer to the first question is "yes", this whole thing is getting me to question whether I will even buy the game. I can't believe more isn't being made of it. I mean the only thing I can think of is that I'm interpreting the whole thing wrong, and that it's just the ranked matches that will be region locked.

Can someone confirm that I, as an Australian, will not be able to play against people from Europe, or possibly even Americans, in any way?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zen said:
Well they do nice damage against Lings/Hydras/Zealots and have only slightly less HP than a Shield upgraded Marine. I've incorporated them a few times to generally good results. I'm not were near the pro level though.
The problem is not with the unit, but what you give up.

a 20 on 20 reaper / marine fight ends up even... but reapers cost an extra 50 gas each and take 40 seconds to build. That is far far too long. They should only be used in small numbers as a harassment unit imo.

Since medivacs and banshees can also fill this role I never get reapers.
legend166 said:
So, I'm just getting across the issue that online play is going to be region locked. I can hardly believe it because it makes zero sense.

First question: Do we know if Australia is going to have its own region or will we be lumped in with the States?

Can someone confirm that I, as an Australian, will not be able to play against people from Europe, or possibly even Americans, in any way?
You will be on the Asia server with an English client. Most of your matches will be with AU, NZ, and whatever north of you speaks English.

If you want to play on the US and EU servers currently you will need a second battle.net account, and thus another copy of SC II.

SiliconBean

Note to potential employers: mainlines heroin
Is it possible for any jackass who was stubborn about not playing Starcraft 2 before launch able to somehow get a beta key and play?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can't believe tanks got nerfed.

That's just. Ugh. Fuck.
Make Zerg better or something. :lol

Tanks will be the same in critical mass, but won't be as effective when you have 4 or so.
Tanks when you had 4 were not the problem. When you had 14+ tanks it was a problem.
Auto target AI with no overkill is too good.

Zen

Banned
Hazaro said:
Can't believe tanks got nerfed.

Fuck this.

That's just. Ugh. Fuck.

Make Zerg better or something. :lol

They already made Zerg better by reducing the Tank damage output. >:|

You're right about reapers not being as cost effective mid/late game. I guess sometimes I just have so much econ rolling that I'm like 'Whatever B|' and roll with it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zen said:
They already made Zerg better by reducing the Tank damage output. >:|

You're right about reapers not being as cost effective mid/late game. I guess sometimes I just have so much econ rolling that I'm like 'Whatever B|' and roll with it.
Roaches die in the same number of hits, so do hydras, and zerglings. More importantly marines with shield die in 2 hits, zealots die in 4 hits, and so do stalkers. This affects early TvP more than anything (The +1 negates those if it still gives +5 instead of lets say +4)
Sure the splash might only now kill 80% of your units instead of 100%... but another 1 second and the next tank volley will obliterate you.

You are still going to have to walk into tank range and that is pure suicide.

I played a 2v2 yesterday where it was TTvsTP. I personally dread this matchup since it means they will have more tanks than me.

They both went Bio.

I contained them and expanded to the entire map before they stimmed into my 14 tanks. I didn't lose a single one. (Thank you PDD and Protoss meat shield) :lol

Hazaro said:
Roaches die in the same number of hits, so do hydras, and zerglings. More importantly marines with shield die in 2 hits, zealots die in 4 hits, and so do stalkers. This affects early TvP more than anything (The +1 negates those if it still gives +5 instead of lets say +4)
Sure the splash might only now kill 80% of your units instead of 100%... but another 1 second and the next tank volley will obliterate you.

You are still going to have to walk into tank range and that is pure suicide.

I played a 2v2 yesterday where it was TTvsTP. I personally dread this matchup since it means they will have more tanks than me.

They both went Bio.

I contained them and expanded to the entire map before they stimmed into my 14 tanks. I didn't lose a single one. (Thank you PDD and Protoss meat shield) :lol

TT in 2v2 is so scary if you let the game drag on. -shudder-

IceMarker

Ugh, I can't bring myself to play again, all the wipes over the past few months have discouraged me. Well, see you all after the break and then finally retail! :D

fanboi

Banned
Best day ever on Bnet yesterday!

Spectacled ChronicleX vs tlau.

I actually poured up a 30 year old whiskey just for you tlau afterwards... it was soooo good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to do better than Bronze this time, I can feel it.

is delusional

Zen

Banned
Rez said:
I'm going to do better than Bronze this time, I can feel it.

is delusional

We should play together sometime :lol

(I was on the cusp of platinum league before this latest patch but whatever)

fanboi said:
Best day ever on Bnet yesterday!

Spectacled ChronicleX vs tlau.

I actually poured up a 30 year old whiskey just for you tlau afterwards... it was soooo good.

Replay that we can dl?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
-COOLIO- said:

Honestly, Reapers need fixing, and they've needed fixing for many a patch now. They are extremely powerful within the first couple of minutes, basically whenever an opponent has very few units, but they're absolute garbage after then. Require an Engineering Bay and then reduce the build time by like 10 seconds or so. It's the only Tier 1/1.5 unit in the game that has zero viability in the mid and late game.

fanboi

Banned
Zen said:
We should play together sometime :lol

(I was on the cusp of platinum league before this latest patch but whatever)

Replay that we can dl?

See if I can get em... At work right now.

I actually faked worked and went to a mistress +5 who gets the reference

EDIT:

ChronicleX vs tlau

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M981E0KC

They actually played two games, most epic!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hahahaha

made gold league.

it would have been platinum if I could actually work out how to counter early terran pushes. it feels like they can get out a solid force of marines and marauders before I can get enough zealots/stalkers out. I can never get enough Immortals either; I figure it would be foolish to tech to them that early and waste all them minerals.

Any tips as far as that is concerned? That's how I lost the two placement matches I lost.

I am proud. :)

legend166

Hazaro said:
The problem is not with the unit, but what you give up.

a 20 on 20 reaper / marine fight ends up even... but reapers cost an extra 50 gas each and take 40 seconds to build. That is far far too long. They should only be used in small numbers as a harassment unit imo.

Since medivacs and banshees can also fill this role I never get reapers.

You will be on the Asia server with an English client. Most of your matches will be with AU, NZ, and whatever north of you speaks English.

If you want to play on the US and EU servers currently you will need a second battle.net account, and thus another copy of SC II.

Well then, screw you Blizzard.

At least I can continue my run of not buying Activision games!

Top Bottom