• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

F#A#Oo said:
OMG....:lol

This is the guy who tries to portray himself as a SC god...?

Less nonsense spewing on GAF ChronicleX...and more practice for you I think... ;)

I swear no-one even reads this forum anymore. Some things are more interesting than playing a noob at SC2 such as Christopher Walken, however I will never say no to a custom.

Pandaman said:
:lol

scout two gate into...
two gate cyborg double gas food block.
truly a classic strategy.

I've also never seen a FE vs two gate where the two gate had a consistent 10 harvester lead. :lol

And yet I did not die for yonks even playing that badly. Even I find the games amusing.

spazzfish

Whats the general consensus for zerg with the better players 7 pool, 10 pool or 13 pool?
Normally I go 13, but more and more i'm seeing zerg players go quicker.

F#A#Oo

Banned
ChronicleX said:
I swear no-one even reads this forum anymore. Some things are more interesting than playing a noob at SC2 such as Christopher Walken, however I will never say no to a custom.

Anyone that recommends getting a Roach Warren before Queen has no right to tell anyone how to play.

spazzfish said:
Whats the general consensus for zerg with the better players 7 pool, 10 pool or 13 pool?
Normally I go 13, but more and more i'm seeing zerg players go quicker.

In mirror matches I always go 10 pool with early gas...usually if they see my early gas my opponents revert to a more macro game instead of early rushing me.

13/14 pool is in my opinion is way too late in mirror...and most definatetly you will have to put down spinecrawlers and do a ton of kiting and time-wasting tactics to survive any initial rush.

Won

Looks like Husky's kitten video worked and Blizzard is gonna answer what's up with B.net 2.0. Will be interesting.

F#A#Oo said:
Anyone that recommends getting a Roach Warren before Queen has no right to tell anyone how to play.

Anyone who cannot read does not have the right to comment about things people post. Google the word "Situational" kid.

PS - 4-1 Placement Plat. Laggy Zergs are impossible to harass =(

NIN90

F#A#Oo said:

In mirror matches I always go 10 pool with early gas...usually if they see my early gas my opponents revert to a more macro game instead of early rushing me.

13/14 pool is in my opinion is way too late in mirror...and most definatetly you will have to put down spinecrawlers and do a ton of kiting and time-wasting tactics to survive any initial rush.

Hey, we have an active group of EU gaffers. Add me so we can play some games!

dhelfric at gmail.com

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
F#A#Oo said:

10 pool with early gas means you're at a pretty distinct mineral disadvantage. 10 pool best supports sending the earliest rush possible as well, which is pretty easily countered as Zerg. It is very easy to get some lings up by the time a 10 pool makes it to your base as 13/14 pool, and have a Queen on the way because of your mineral advantage.

V_Arnold

The match of Tlau vs Sore Alcoholic Fake Loser was awesome :D

I love the part how he started talking about lag, and how films are. Such a classy loser, wow.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dance In My Blood said:
10 pool with early gas means you're at a pretty distinct mineral disadvantage. 10 pool best supports sending the earliest rush possible as well, which is pretty easily countered as Zerg. It is very easy to get some lings up by the time a 10 pool makes it to your base as 13/14 pool, and have a Queen on the way because of your mineral advantage.
yea, but the 10 pool is mostly to counter the extreme early pools the other zerg might pull before it becomes viable to scout. the last thing you want is to scout a 7 pool just after you committed to three drones and cant get the larvae back.

if you know the other player isn't the type to6 or 7 pool then yea, standard play rules the house.

Sarye

Would it be fast enough to go 13 pool + spinecrawler vs 10 pool? I feel like a 10 pool shouldn't ever beat at 13 pool. He would be so behind in his mineral count if the attack fails.

edit: nm I see ur talking about a 13 pool vs 6 pool.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:

I find if my opponents go 7 or 10 pool they will most definately be going early gas using their first 100 gas either for lair/metabolic boost/roaches. So really there is no mineral disadvantage as they are doing exactly the same. If they don't go early gas then my roaches will be make short work of their lings with no speed.

ZvZ is the only match up I get gas early...it's become pretty much essential I find. Maybe I'm just getting all the players who are aggressive early.:D

Also if you scout properly you can judge when to make units and drones accordingly...

NIN90 said:
Hey, we have an active group of EU gaffers. Add me so we can play some games!

dhelfric at gmail.com

I don't know when I will be able to get on in the next few days and the beta ends Monday no?

Most definately when retail release comes round though!

NIN90

14 pool 15 hatch is how i usually roll.

My drones and my queen can usually defend against 6 lings or so with not that big of drone loss. Well that is if the opponent isnt some kind of micro prodigy.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I dunno. I just haven't seen an effective 6 or 7 pool. 6 lings is just not enough to be a threat early game, and the rare times I've seen it lately it just isn't enough, and I can early push back on them easily. I certainly wouldn't focus a build on the possibility of it.

iamblades

Even on Steppes, you should have time to at least 12 pool before a 6 pool can reach you.

I haven't timed out that build, but I typically go OL 10, extractor trick to 11 while the OL is building, then 11 pool on steppes, and my lings beat a 6 pool by 15 secs or so. You could definitely squeeze another drone in there if your timings are crisp though.

Zen

Banned
F#A#Oo said:

Ok, wait, skipping the queen can allow you to get roaches much earlier and put pressure on your opponent. TLO did it successfully a few games back against Protoss and won versus Idra WhiteRa. Day[9] has even commented that he's seen more Zerg player skipping the queens to apply early threat and keep their opponent contained.

Zen said:
Ok, wait, skipping the queen can allow you to get roaches much earlier and put pressure on your opponent. TLO did it successfully a few games back against Protoss and won versus Idra. Day[9] has even commented that he's seen more Zerg player skipping the queens to apply early threat and keep their opponent contained.

You might want to rephrase that.. unless Idra was Protoss 0_o

Terran Buildings need damn fuel, tech or something..... I am getting sick of hunting down random buildings flying around, especially when I got no air army at the time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not as drunk as I was playing you. The difference here though is that I was more interested in the TV to my left than playing. I agreed to a second game where I said I would pay attention since what I was watching had finished, but while waiting for that to start "Balls of Fury" came on and that which was far more interesting.

Besides winning made the nub happy, maybe now it'll want to continue playing now it knows it can win (provided the opponent it plays does not care about playing that is).

the 90s just called, they want their socially awkward PC gamer personality back

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ashhong said:
cool thanks. how come the aspect ratio is off?
My display is 1680x1050. To render in 1080p the aspect ratio gets a little off. I guess I could record the games on my 1080p TV but Im not sure if my PC would be able to handle fraps'ing that.

Hazaro said:
Blizzard said:
Thanks for the collection of feedback and the constructive tone. Always appreciated.

We're fully aware of the concerns that are being discussed in the various threads, on fansites, detailed through kitten videos, etc. and we're in the midst of working on a comprehensive address that should hit most of the major concerns. Just a heads up.
awesome!

LaneDS

So siege tanks have been ending a lot of matches for me in 2v2, what are some good counters for them as Protoss/Zerg? I went phoenixes but suck ass at micro'ing them and they were pretty much ripped to shreds by the marines and hyrdas backing up the tanks I was trying to lift off. Colossi don't seem very good either, even with upgraded lances.

I'm sure part of the key is "don't let your opponent mass up that many" but still, yikes. Any help is appreciated.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tanks can't be everywhere at once. Try to abuse their immobility (flank, drop, harass main, expo) and keep a few broodlords (just 3 or 4) and be careful with them. If they don't have ravens you can suicide roaches into tanks with their burrow and attack when the tanks use up their first volley.

Make sure you attack micro (attack, move, attack, move) otherwise your front line will just die before you can attack.

Nydus worms, warp prisms, immortal spam, hallucinated immortals, etc are all ok vs tank blob.

If they have 20+ tanks you are fucked though as you'll need at least 20 immortals + support to break the tanks alone.
Also if they have a ghost with EMP you are doomed :lol

DaFish

LaneDS said:
So siege tanks have been ending a lot of matches for me in 2v2, what are some good counters for them as Protoss/Zerg? I went phoenixes but suck ass at micro'ing them and they were pretty much ripped to shreds by the marines and hyrdas backing up the tanks I was trying to lift off. Colossi don't seem very good either, even with upgraded lances.

I'm sure part of the key is "don't let your opponent mass up that many" but still, yikes. Any help is appreciated.
I'm able to take them out quickly with a Muta mass of only like 6-10.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If the Terran has enough tank he will also have at least 25 marines + raven + some vikings.
An even smarter Terran will have multiple turrets in his base / army and 1 or 2 sensor towers to not let you take advantage of his immobility.

LaneDS

Hm, yeah, I pretty much never use warp prisms and that needs to change, especially as I've gotten used to using warp gates semi-consistently and am slowly making better use of observers. I'll go with that, thanks for the replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You'll also need to make extensive use of observers. Charge zealots are good as well as the nerf makes them take 1 more hit to kill from pure tank fire. Plus if they can close the gap the tanks will fire on themselves/their support.

Really you want to catch terran out of position if possible, or if they are turtling off 2 base just expo and make carriers :lol

e.g. Terran is in middle, flank his expo (check with observer first to get high ground sight, maybe warp prism on high ground) make the terran pull back (unseige), then get out of there before he sieges up. Expo.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
LaneDS said:

immortals hard counter tanks

and roaches arnt bad for soaking up damage, or so i hear.

LaneDS said:

Apart from mass immortals (which gets countered by EMP) your best bet is getting phoenix and using their grav beam to disable them like you have been doing. Aside from that DT's work well if you make sure there is no detection, send 1 or 2 to their bases so scan's are wasted before you send some at the mech.

Zertez

MLG is streaming SC2 exhibition matches, the players, so far are horrible though. I think they are pro WoW players, but still it was pretty sad to watch them play SC2. :lol

Zertez said:
MLG is streaming SC2 exhibition matches, the players, so far are horrible though. I think they are pro WoW players, but still it was pretty sad to watch them play SC2. :lol
Pro WoW players playing SC2 can't work out very well.. I mean, they are completely different skillsets... I'll pass.

DaFish

Zertez said:
cant find it

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ChronicleX said:
Apart from mass immortals (which gets countered by EMP) your best bet is getting phoenix and using their grav beam to disable them like you have been doing. Aside from that DT's work well if you make sure there is no detection, send 1 or 2 to their bases so scan's are wasted before you send some at the mech.
There is no easy counter to tanks. (Low marine count? Phoenix. No ghosts? Immortals. No detection? DT's in main, expo, and frontline. etc,etc.)

Really you just have to play extremely well and use what you have at the moment. Ghosts also counter phoenixes and marine,ghost,turrets demolish any amount of phoenix that would make a difference.

If you open 1gate core, stargate and phoenix harass from the start you can limit tank numbers and force a defensive opening for Terran but at that point you are limiting play style (and it only works on some maps).

Since the Terran could just be going bio instead and roll you before you have storm (or limit you to 1 base and expo)

Top Bottom