• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Bisonian

Mudkips said:
Early Banshees will wreck your shit - at your base or your ground push.
Banshee rushing is no reason for a Terran to stop pumping Marines to sit behind his wall - gas is the issue, not minerals.

Marines are never ever the problem in ZvT...

NIN90

2rfh5.png

:(

fanboi said:
EU Gaf... we need a new game to play while we wait for next beta phase.

What about KOHAN? It is MOD approved.
Strategy games? How about Dawn of War II or World in Conflict? Different type of RTS 'n all, but both are pretty cheap to get nowadays (expansions included).

anyone up for some war3 or sc1 custom maps? tons of those, i personally love games like legion td or nexus wars in war3 called castle wars or something, we should get sc1 gaf up and running again!

fanboi

Banned
MicVlaD said:
Strategy games? How about Dawn of War II or World in Conflict? Different type of RTS 'n all, but both are pretty cheap to get nowadays (expansions included).

You are not so stupid after all...

World in Conflict is a game I'll always wanted to play.

NIN90 said:

:(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gonna be working on some of the Official Thread stuff during the downtime myself. Still slowly but surely banging it out, gonna be a really nice and big OT when it's done.

After seeing Husky record some of his super-newb walkthrough videos, decided to give it a go myself. His was super-super-basic and he jumped around a lot, so I thought I might be able to do it a bit better.

Uploaded my Terran walkthrough to YouTube. I've already got my Zerg and Protoss walkthroughs done too, but I wanna hear your guys' thoughts on what I have. Am I terrible? Is my voice annoying? Am I easy to follow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQZVu5Z2YXo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnK0Kdae6Oc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVxFbGlO-dw

mcrae

ZealousD said:
Gonna be working on some of the Official Thread stuff during the downtime myself. Still slowly but surely banging it out, gonna be a really nice and big OT when it's done.

After seeing Husky record some of his super-newb walkthrough videos, decided to give it a go myself. His was super-super-basic and he jumped around a lot, so I thought I might be able to do it a bit better.

Uploaded my Terran walkthrough to YouTube. I've already got my Zerg and Protoss walkthroughs done too, but I wanna hear your guys' thoughts on what I have. Am I terrible? Is my voice annoying? Am I easy to follow?

hey dude, any chance whatsoever of getting 720p?

for example when you say "you can see it is saying you must build a refinery first" well actually i cant see that, cause its only 480p lol.

mcrae said:
hey dude, any chance whatsoever of getting 720p?

for example when you say "you can see it is saying you must build a refinery first" well actually i cant see that, cause its only 480p lol.
Yeah I haven't watched yet (YT blocked @ work), but with this game, HD is a must.

And I applaud your tutorials idea.

Wedge7

ZealousD said:

The videos were pretty good, I watched them because I was bored. The quality at 480p was fine, you can see everything that you need to see, HD would be nice, but its still more than adaquete.

One complaint is that it may just be my audio, but your actual game audio was perhaps too loud. Near the middle and especially the end, you started to mumble more and you started speaking lower, and many times, in the middle of one of your explanations, the game audio would drown out your voice. Like, you'd be saying, "Now I'm going to build a *O(#$, which is great for detection", but the game audio would say "Need more supply depots" at that exact moment, and you couldn't hear what you just said.

Also, perhaps have more of a concise idea what your going to talk about. At the beginning, you seemed to be more precise in what you wanted to discuss/show, but near the end, you sorta seemed to just grab random ideas as you say them. Ala, Oh Yea, Yamato Cannon upgrade, lets get that as well. Would be easier to follow if you broke things up in sections or something. You seemed to spend alot of time on the earlier units/structures, but seemed to lose steam near the end.

Since you were going to do Protoss/Zerg ones in the future, the biggest thing may also be to just create an excess of pylons/overlords, so you dont constantly have the 'downtime' where your wanting to create/showcase units but your getting supply blocked and theirs those awkward moments where your just waiting for supply.

Its cool that your doing these vids, obviously geared towards the complete newbie, but streamlining things would probably make it more enjoyable and easier to follow for viewers.

EDIT - reading that again, it sounded a little harsh, and I didn't mean for that at all. Its awesome that your making these, just trying to give some comments that I had while watching the vids. Dont wanna sound like I'm being too critical or anything. PS - that ending line sorta made me cringe lol, I always groan when Husky does that

ZealousD

Wedge7 said:
The videos were pretty good, I watched them because I was bored. The quality at 480p was fine, you can see everything that you need to see, HD would be nice, but its still more than adaquete.

Yeah I haven't dealt with Fraps too much on my laptop yet, but I have a feeling that HD video would slow down my framerate quite a bit. I already can't play SC2 on max settings.

One complaint is that it may just be my audio, but your actual game audio was perhaps too loud. Near the middle and especially the end, you started to mumble more and you started speaking lower, and many times, in the middle of one of your explanations, the game audio would drown out your voice. Like, you'd be saying, "Now I'm going to build a *O(#$, which is great for detection", but the game audio would say "Need more supply depots" at that exact moment, and you couldn't hear what you just said.

Yeah, sorry about that. I tried to get a good balance between game audio and my voice (it was worse before, trust me) but maybe I could have focused more on the commentary.

Also, perhaps have more of a concise idea what your going to talk about. At the beginning, you seemed to be more precise in what you wanted to discuss/show, but near the end, you sorta seemed to just grab random ideas as you say them. Ala, Oh Yea, Yamato Cannon upgrade, lets get that as well. Would be easier to follow if you broke things up in sections or something. You seemed to spend alot of time on the earlier units/structures, but seemed to lose steam near the end.

Whenever I touched upon upgrades for units, I tried to focus on the more important upgrades. That's why I talked about siege mode and the yamoto cannon, but not the hellion igniter upgrade or reaper speed. Those upgrades are key to understanding those units, but some other upgrades aren't so important.

I do see your point about the pacing losing steam at the end. Part of that is probably the fact that I was doing this totally off the top of my head and also that I didn't want to go too in-depth and make an hour long video for each race. Each video is around 20-30 minutes each already, which is already significantly long I think.

Since you were going to do Protoss/Zerg ones in the future, the biggest thing may also be to just create an excess of pylons/overlords, so you dont constantly have the 'downtime' where your wanting to create/showcase units but your getting supply blocked and theirs those awkward moments where your just waiting for supply.

I'm actually already done with them, I just wanted to see what you guys thought of what I had so far in case I was embarassing myself. And it really doesn't get much better on my supply blocks or building waits. =X

Its cool that your doing these vids, obviously geared towards the complete newbie, but streamlining things would probably make it more enjoyable and easier to follow for viewers.

EDIT - reading that again, it sounded a little harsh, and I didn't mean for that at all. Its awesome that your making these, just trying to give some comments that I had while watching the vids. Dont wanna sound like I'm being too critical or anything. PS - that ending line sorta made me cringe lol, I always groan when Husky does that

Yeah dude, feel free to criticize. As long as it's constructive, I don't really get offended.

Gribbix

It looks like SC2's advertising campaign is starting up:
STARCRAFT II AD TO DEBUT DURING NBA FINALS
On Thursday, June 10, a new StarCraft II TV spot featuring never-before-seen cinematic footage will air during the second quarter of game four of the NBA Finals between the Celtics and Lakers. The thirty-second spot features voice-overs from two iconic characters in StarCraft II, and is cut from the pre-rendered cinematic sequences found throughout the game. Check it out during the ABC broadcast beginning this Thursday at 9 p.m. Eastern or 6 p.m. Pacific time.

Did you guys see this Gamasutra Dustin Browder interview from June 4?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5827/starcraft_ii_building_on_the_beta.php

The challenge modes try explicitly to create situations that will mimic things people would need to know online. How did you approach designing those?

DB: Both as a tutorial, and as a game. We will say, "Look. You need to learn how to use our hotkeys. Here's out hotkey challenge. We've disabled the [on-screen] UI for this challenge. You need to learn some hotkeys if you're gonna beat this." Then you can beat it at higher and higher levels of difficulty. You can say, " I've learned enough. I'm moving on," or you can say, "I want to get the highest level because there's an achievement for that. I'm going to learn a lot of hotkeys in order to do this."

It's actually pretty fun mission. You just go nuts, kill as much stuff as you can, hitting hotkeys. It's just you destroying a whole map full of stuff with hotkeys as fast as you can, but it's challenging to keep up. There's a lot of adrenaline.

Cheeto

MrMister said:
Awesome, looking forward to it.

Sounds like a great mission, I almost never use hotkeys and need to learn them badly without having my ass handed to me whilst learning them.
It's not that hard to start... just start with the easy ones like Supply and Vespene

Terran
Supply -> B-S
Vespene -> B-R

Zerg
Supply -> [Hatch hotkey]-S-V
Vespene -> B-E

Protoss
Supply -> B-E
Vespene -> B-A

Now once you've started your build orders using those keys instead of clicking the buttons, it's very easy to expand on it and learn the rest of the common buildings and spells. It doesn't take long once you get in the habit of using your left hand instead of relying on clicking...

Jokey665

Cheeto said:
It's not that hard to start... just start with the easy ones like Supply and Vespene

Terran
Supply -> B-S
Vespene -> B-R

Zerg
Supply -> [Hatch hotkey]-S-V
Vespene -> B-E

Protoss
Supply -> B-E
Vespene -> B-A

Now once you've started your build orders using those keys instead of clicking the buttons, it's very easy to expand on it and learn the rest of the common buildings and spells. It doesn't take long once you get in the habit of using your left hand instead of relying on clicking...

I have exactly one hotkey problem with using an offrace: I cannot build probes to save my life. I play Terran, and its just ingrained to hit S for workers. I can do fine with Zerg because it's still S; I just have to remember to hit D afterwards, which is easy. But with Protoss, half the time I'll be mashing S 5-10 times until I realize I'm a dumbass and then try to hit P and realize I'm more of a dumbass before finally hitting E and the other half of the time I skip S and go straight to P. Damn you, Broodwar! haha

Zzoram

watervengeance said:
They saturated it with too much action that you don't even know what you just watched. I really hate the "flashing action sequences" effect they put in these comercials.

It's hard to do much with 30 seconds, especially since a few of those seconds are dedicated to showing the name of the game and what it's ESRB rating is.

ZealousD

Direct-Feed and in HD. Uploader is StarcraftLegacy, which is basically the biggest SC fan site that's devoted to more than just the MP. Their YouTube channel has several exclusive interviews. That means that link is probably permanent.

mcrae

watervengeance said:
They saturated it with too much action that you don't even know what you just watched. I really hate the "flashing action sequences" effect they put in these comercials.

nah, its only the first ad. i think it looks awesome, and shows how the cinematics are going to be ridiculously awesome.

kilongs

Pandaman said:
well, that wasn't nova. :\

yay new ghosts.

The consensus on the other thread is that the ghost is Kerrigan. Its a flashback sequence of when she is abandoned by Mengsk.

Edit: haha, beaten

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
DieH@rd said:
Its the flashback to Kerrigan's capture on Tarsonis.
ah.

well i dont know about you guys, but i left her behind a minefield, dozens of bunkers and turrets and a line of seige tanks, she should have been able to hold out for awhile. >_>

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Pandaman said:
ah.

well i dont know about you guys, but i left her behind a minefield, dozens of bunkers and turrets and a line of seige tanks, she should have been able to hold out for awhile. >_>
ya if im remembering correctly, at the end of the mission youre suppose to be overrun right?

i probably had like 200/200 supply siege tanks since that's how i played every game when i was 9.

Top Bottom