• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

well, im giving up... it seems Im stuck in the matchmaking queue, cant even try to find a game.. tells me I "can't join the queue cause i'm already in the queue".

Sucks that the beta is borked, but I guess this is the point of the beta... so this crap doesn't happen on release.

Apath

MrCompletely said:
Battle.net saves your campaign progress in their cloud so you can play through the campaign on multiple PCs .
Awesome. I always seem to reformat right before I finish a game and end up having to play it over... in some cases 6 times *cough Half-Life 2 cough*

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Somehow managed to sneak in a game against the Medium AI. PvP.

He wasn't that much harder than Very Easy. I did a very sloppy 4 gate push. His first timing attacking only had about 3 units when I had about 8. Then when I pushed out, with about 10-12 units, he only had about 3-5. He actually didn't have anything Tier 2 when I ended up killing him.

There's also sorts of different little interface improvements in-game. Info boxes are slightly different. Chrono Boost had a new icon. Idle Warp Gate had a new icon. A couple sounds are different. Judicator Aldaris sounded a bit different, like they added a new filter onto his voice. Little more echo but not as loud. Also, it might have been my imagination or just a change in settings, because it seemed like my framerate was higher than usual, even though it didn't seem like I lost anything visually.

What raised my eyebrows the most was a new dialog box that popped up whenever the AI said "gg". It said "Your opponent has offered to surrender", with options to accept the surrender or not. I'm not entirely sure why that's there, but it's there.

So overall, they did add in some extra polish to the game while the beta was down. This patch is definitely as significant, if not more so, then Patch 9.

ZealousD

valenti said:
600k..man..s2 games would love to see that number on their servers

I have to believe that's counting other games. I didn't think the beta ever got over 50k during Phase 1.

I think it's weird they still haven't added an option for 1366 resolutions, have to freaking manually edit the variables file after a major patch

Xamdou

I was able to play a comp stomp game to test out my MSI E7405 gaming laptop, and I have to say SC2 looks absolutely amazing with all settings on ultra, vsync on, everything maxed out! :D

Ashhong

shagg_187 said:
Give us a simple fucking ID and let us pick our own numbers (or *gasp* letters and number :lol )

who the fuck cares? just give the number with your ID and be done with it. its not like it shows the number after your name when you play a game

Ashhong said:
who the fuck cares? just give the number with your ID and be done with it. its not like it shows the number after your name when you play a game

Yes but this is them going to the territory of that of Wii where if I had to give someone an ID, I would have to either have faced him or know him in other online community to give him the name and the number. No one walks around remembering the number and if a friend or friend of a friend asks if I play Starcraft 2 and if he can have my ID, I rather give him one simple ID instead of saying "oh, you can have my email address instead" or "add me on facebook and then add me through that ID". When someone asks for your Gamertag, you don't need to give away email addresses or other stuff that you might not be comfortable sharing with others, similar to that of RealID where alot of people are not comfortable with giving away their name to someone random for an online game.

I mean TheGreatOne is called TheGreatOne, not Michael M. Callahan or whatever his name is.

It's a fucking hit and a miss, and people will get used to this miss when you can simplify everything with a simple ID. I'll just stick with my Steam ID and add people from there.

LowParry

Eh, well after 3 fantastic DoWII games, I think I'll call it a night. But FFS, I'm getting me one of those Razer keyboards so that I can see my keys in the dark. :lol

ZealousD

Deadly said:
What's the number you guys are posting after your login? Is it what's differentiating same usernames?

Yes, it's your character code.

LowParry

shagg_187 said:
Monitor brightness too low?

When I'm surfing the web, I get plenty of light. Sporting a 24' widescreen monitor. It's just when I play games that are somewhat dark, I can't see my keyboard as much. If it's a FPS game, it's all muscle reaction of what I need to press but for a RTS game, I gotta look down a few times here and there and I can't see my keyboard. My desk has one of them slide out support boards or whatever so my keyboard may comes into being half tucked away when I play.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
CcrooK said:
When I'm surfing the web, I get plenty of light. Sporting a 24' widescreen monitor. It's just when I play games that are somewhat dark, I can't see my keyboard as much. If it's a FPS game, it's all muscle reaction of what I need to press but for a RTS game, I gotta look down a few times here and there and I can't see my keyboard. My desk has one of them slide out support boards or whatever so my keyboard may comes into being half tucked away when I play.

Keyboard with backlight time!

LowParry

VOOK said:
Keyboard with backlight time!

Yep. Probably gonna go get me one of those Razer Lycosa keyboards. They don't look too heavily complicated and the blue back light sounds good to me.

Ashhong

shagg_187 said:
Yes but this is them going to the territory of that of Wii where if I had to give someone an ID, I would have to either have faced him or know him in other online community to give him the name and the number. No one walks around remembering the number and if a friend or friend of a friend asks if I play Starcraft 2 and if he can have my ID, I rather give him one simple ID instead of saying "oh, you can have my email address instead" or "add me on facebook and then add me through that ID". When someone asks for your Gamertag, you don't need to give away email addresses or other stuff that you might not be comfortable sharing with others, similar to that of RealID where alot of people are not comfortable with giving away their name to someone random for an online game.

I mean TheGreatOne is called TheGreatOne, not Michael M. Callahan or whatever his name is.

It's a fucking hit and a miss, and people will get used to this miss when you can simplify everything with a simple ID. I'll just stick with my Steam ID and add people from there.

Not even close to Wii codes. I dont think they took out the ability to add someone that you just played with by right clicking on their name in the match stats. It's like 3 numbers long! Really not that hard to remember. And if this will allow me or anybody to have a name that could potentially be taken by someone else, then I'm all for it. It's the same as having identifiers. I hated identifiers though because I didn't have anything to put for it so just made it GAF. At least this is some arbitrary number thats assigned by Bliz and easy to remember.

Hey, do you play starcraft 2? Yea man, my name is Ashhong, add me, my number is 482. Done...

Ashhong said:
Not even close to Wii codes. I dont think they took out the ability to add someone that you just played with by right clicking on their name in the match stats. It's like 3 numbers long! Really not that hard to remember. And if this will allow me or anybody to have a name that could potentially be taken by someone else, then I'm all for it. It's the same as having identifiers. I hated identifiers though because I didn't have anything to put for it so just made it GAF. At least this is some arbitrary number thats assigned by Bliz and easy to remember.

Hey, do you play starcraft 2? Yea man, my name is Ashhong, add me, my number is 482. Done...

And it won't be long until everyone starts mimicking the pros by taking their name. Whatever, you like this broken god forsaken system and I don't. A system is broken when you are forced to get used to it.

Yeah, I can't join a single game cause it says "already in queue" and when I start a different setting i.e. 2v2 or 3v3 that I have yet to pick, it keep on searching with no result or message even after canceling.

Fresh install?

Chris R

Gah, shit is still broken. Can't create a custom game, and when I try to join any placement game I get infinite search time :(

ZealousD

Son of Godzilla said:
Is this open or still closed?

Still closed.

Don't feel too bad though. It's closing on the 19th. That's only 11 days.

NeoUltima

NeoUltima , 300

Will these codes change when the game launches(I like my number!)? Will they be universal across Bnet? (I assume not since that's what Realid is for)

WTF is wrong with GAF?

Posts keep on appearing and disappearing, frontpage doesn't get updated when someone posts, you can't login through the login screen and can only login through the top-right bar, etc etc.

Seems like everything is dying on my end :/

ZealousD said:
Still closed.

Don't feel too bad though. It's closing on the 19th. That's only 11 days.
Meh, wanted to get some friends into it. 19th is when the beta ends and the stress test begins!

Also, most excruciating download ever.

Top Bottom