• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

F#A#Oo

Banned
zoukka said:
Euros can't apparently.

Grrrrrrrr!

I feel like a teenager again...

Europe still discriminated in this day and age...I can understand if it's by Japanese companies but an American company...boh!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
F#A#Oo said:
Grrrrrrrr!

I feel like a teenager again...

Europe still discriminated in this day and age...I can understand if it's by Japanese companies but an American company...boh!

It's kinda funny, since the EU servers got the patch first. lol

But you're not missing too much. It's not like you can play against anybody right now.

Wedge7

Been playing pretty smoothly for the past few hours

Mind you, I didnt even try laddering or anything

Just played some customs with some RL buddies

We couldn't get games to load when we were in a party, so I would just create a random custom game, and then manually invite them in each time. It worked nicely, and there was pretty much no lag whatsoever. So it was fun in that respect.

Sumidor

Damn this game! Why won't you let me play you?! :( I keep trying to create a game or finding a match, but it just sits there.. teasing me.

Son of Godzilla said:
Completed my practice games. I'm not sure they help *at all*. Being walled in basically plays completely different from real games.
Just play as Terran and wall yourself in with a couple of depots and a barracks? :p

nilbog21

Banned
WOO beta back up ! :)

Valenti, Alumnus, coolio, etc etc add me ~ Jtardiou at gmail dot com
im in france atm tho, hope it doesnt lag :p

edit: where do you see your friend code btw?

V_Arnold

Damn, I still have no internet in my home. Damn you, evil ISP.
But anyways, it is just a few week to survive, and then THIS BRONZE/SILVER BEAST WILL DESTROY THE UNIVERSE!

Zealot buildtime increased from 33 to 38 and cooldown increased from 23 to 28.
Reaper buildtime increased from 40 to 45.
Psi storm cooldown decreased from 2.5 seconds to 2 seconds.

Units get trapped by Force Fields considerably easier it seems (confirm?)

BUG: Changelings appear red to opponents after morphing to "blend in" with enemy.

Neural Parasite lasts about 12-ish in-game seconds.

Roaches can no longer move under Force Fields while burrowed!!!!

The 2 Roach Warren upgrades, Glial Reconstitution and Tunneling Claws have had their hotkeys swapped. it's now T and G, respectively. argh

Infested Terrans lasts 30 seconds (up from 20).

Infested Terran spell can now be cast while Infestor is Burrowed.

Stalkers can no longer blink up cliffs blocked by rocks without vision, nor are they able to blink across unpassable terrain (i.e. can no longer blink to islands)

Replays speeds are now Normal-Fast-Faster-x2-x4-x8 (before I think it was Slower, Slow, Normal, Fast, Faster, Faster x3, Faster x6. correct?)

Cybernetics Core now has a research animation.

Larvae no longer count as a Unit (doesn't show up in the Unit display tab while watching replays or Observing)

Overlords (and i'm assuming the other race's dropships) now move to pickup units. Meaning, if you have some unit/s selected then Right-Click an Overlord, both the units and the overlord will meet up to Load, rather than just the unit/s moving, just like SC1.

Critters now roam the maps.

Attack Cooldown values listed in tooltips, when mousing over weapons.

Overlord Generate Creep sound effect seems much quieter

Some unlisted patch balance updates apparently.

Stalkers not being able to blink to islands is very stupid.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
watervengeance said:
Some unlisted patch balance updates apparently.

Stalkers not being able to blink to islands is very stupid.
I recall 1 post clarifying that they infact could blink to islands (LT islands), but not scrap station anymore) so maybe blink range got reduced by 1 or 0.5

Could be wrong, or perhaps you just need sight since higher terrain is not line of sight.

valeo

spazzfish said:
Damn:( looks like i have to spam about with tf2 for a bit longer then.

Haha - that is exactly what I have been doing since the sc2 beta went down :lol

btw 'critters now roam the maps' - return of the PANDA BEAR?!

If them undocumented changes are true then WTF, Protoss nerfed again and Terran practically left alone? 5 extra seconds on a reaper is sod all. WTH......

5 seconds to build zealots is the difference between a zerg runby and blocking it on alot of maps. 15-25% buildtime increases on the mainstay of the Protoss army is not cool at all. The second the EU beta goes live, I am learning to play Zerg.

ChronicleX said:
If them undocumented changes are true then WTF, Protoss nerfed again and Terran practically left alone? 5 extra seconds on a reaper is sod all. WTH......

5 seconds to build zealots is the difference between a zerg runby and blocking it on alot of maps. 15-25% buildtime increases on the mainstay of the Protoss army is not cool at all. The second the EU beta goes live, I am learning to play Zerg.

only seems to be balancing early game rushes, plus:

Reaper buildtime increased from 40 to 45.

Like I said, 5 seconds on a reaper is sod all as they are not the mainstays of a Terran army and not a major problem unless terrans cheeses with them, and 5 seconds is sod all in that regard. It effects their early harass very slightly.

The Zealot nerf if true on the other hand will really hurt Protoss all game long both offensively and defensively. If gateway units are too good compared to the rest of the protoss arsenal then blizzard should at least fix the rest of the arsenal before nerfing gateway units further.

I am a sole believer of Protoss being an unfinished Race in SCII and too balanced around Gateway units. Because of this in high levels they can be too good as they do not need to tech so hard in the midgame and many claim them to be too strong. The reality is this is the only reliable gamestyle Protoss has, everything else is highly situational and can render itself worthless. I am all for nerfs to the gateway units of Protoss, provided blizzard compenstate by making their alternatives as viable as the other races options. Yes Archons / Cariers / Morthership - I am looking at you.

zoukka

WhiteRa has this build where his early warpgate push is supported by Void Rays. Very deadly and doesn't rely solely on the gateway units.

EDIT: Jebus that Zealot nerf is massive.

Cheeto

zoukka said:
WhiteRa has this build where his early warpgate push is supported by Void Rays. Very deadly and doesn't rely solely on the gateway units.
Yep, and not to mention terran bio-balls will completely decimate a protoss that goes heavy warpgate.

Did they nerf zealot warp-in time too? Or just building from gateway?

Also
Cybernetics Core now has a research animation.
It's about time

How the fuck are they still playing around with Zealots? It's one of the staples of the franchise..Starcraft 2 is going be a messy, unbalanced game on release date if this holds up.

Thank God there's custom maps to fall back on in the mean time (technically not right at this moment).

Bisonian

ChronicleX said:
The Zealot nerf if true on the other hand will really hurt Protoss all game long both offensively and defensively. If gateway units are too good compared to the rest of the protoss arsenal then blizzard should at least fix the rest of the arsenal before nerfing gateway units further.

All game? You don't use warpgates?

Won

They really need to be smarter about the way they change early units and buildings......

Or create better maps without super short rushing distances.....

Yaweee

Won said:
They really need to be smarter about the way they change early units and buildings......

Or create better maps without super short rushing distances.....
The problem with both Zealots and Reapers is that they get proxied, so rush distance really doesn't matter much at all. If anything will slow them down, it is build time for the units themselves.

Bisonian

F#A#Oo said:
Can someone tell me what this rally point change is?

Before patch: Units would attack any units it saw on the way to the rally point if you didn't give them any actions. Attack-Move functionality.

After patch: Units just ignore enemy units and go straight to the rally point, even if they see enemy units, or are being attacked.

Won

Yaweee said:
The problem with both Zealots and Reapers is that they get proxied, so rush distance really doesn't matter much at all. If anything will slow them down, it is build time for the units themselves.

Yes and no. Travel time to the proxy positions still plays a role. That's at least what I noticed with the dozens of proxies from Toss players on all kind of maps.
I'm not surprised by the Zealot change at all, considering how often I saw proxy Gateways, but at this point Blizzard should just hard code a "15 min no rush!" rule into the game.

Cru Jones

Bisonian said:
All game? You don't use warpgates?

Doesn't it say in those same notes that their cool down has been changed from 23-28? I would assume that means the cool down on when you can warp in another zealot. Meaning that they got nerfed 5 seconds for warping in as well.

Bisonian

Cru Jones said:
Doesn't it say in those same notes that their cool down has been changed from 23-28? I would assume that means the cool down on when you can warp in another zealot. Meaning that they got nerfed 5 seconds for warping in as well.

Warpgate cooldown is 10 seconds, and uniform across all gateway units. It's the building's cooldown, not the unit's. This won't change that.

e: This information is totally incorrect, but I left it here for people to ridicule. Tough nerf for the toss.

Cru Jones

Bisonian said:
Warpgate cooldown is 10 seconds, and uniform across all gateway units. It's the building's cooldown, not the unit's. This won't change that.

I haven't played in a while, but I am pretty sure this isn't right

Edit: I looked it up, and Bisonian is incorrect. These were the cool downs prior to the patch for each warpgate unit.

Zealots - 23 seconds
Stalker - 32 seconds
High Temp - 45 seconds
Dark Temp - 45 seconds
Sentry - 32 seconds

So according to the above notes, it will now take 28 seconds instead of 23 seconds to warp another unit after a zealot was built.

Bisonian

Cru Jones said:
I haven't played in a while, but I am pretty sure this isn't right

"The Warp Gate also allows any unit to be produced in 5 seconds! This means those reinforcements will be coming in fast. However, a cool-down period must be waited out before new units can be produced that is equal to the units normal build time minus 10 seconds. "

You are 100% correct, I'll go edit my posts. That is in fact a pretty big protoss nerf.

Biff

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but can someone share their thoughts on why T should be nerfed?

There must be specifics you are thinking of?

I'm not even close to the top of the Silver division, so yeah, I'm not going to pretend like I know too much.. But I would like to learn more! In the Diamond/Plat replays I've seen, I haven't seen any blatantly obvious overpowered Terran strats.

Zealots were crazy strong as an early-game force, especially against a low-level player like me. But a 5 second delay is ridiculous, even I know that :lol

F#A#Oo

Banned
Bisonian said:
Before patch: Units would attack any units it saw on the way to the rally point if you didn't give them any actions. Attack-Move functionality.

After patch: Units just ignore enemy units and go straight to the rally point, even if they see enemy units, or are being attacked.

Thanks!

valeo

Ahh finally got into a game

I'm so horrible - I let about 2000 mins build up. I swear I wasn't this bad before. :lol

Top Bottom