• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Won

ChefRamsay said:
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but can someone share their thoughts on why T should be nerfed?

There must be specifics you are thinking of?

I'm not even close to the top of the Silver division, so yeah, I'm not going to pretend like I know too much.. But I would like to learn more! In the Diamond/Plat replays I've seen, I haven't seen any blatantly obvious overpowered Terran strats.

Zealots were crazy strong as an early-game force, especially against a low-level player like me. But a 5 second delay is ridiculous, even I know that :lol

Because they have guns!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
school me, it's the only way I'll learn

Rez.games

Oh wait, region locking. Huh.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rez said:
school me, it's the only way I'll learn

Rez.games

Oh wait, region locking. Huh.
Australia aye?

Sarye

I'm really sad about the protoss nerf. I've been struggling with protoss pre-patch even with a heavy warpgate army and this just makes it so much worse =(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How did they nerf toss?

Yaweee

Yoshichan said:
How did they nerf toss?

Zealot build time, paired with a Reaper build time nerf.

Basically, two of the races had their super-fast-rushes nerfed. We'll see where this leaves zergling rushes.

Yoshichan

Yaweee said:
Zealot build time, paired with a Reaper build time nerf.

Basically, two of the races had their super-fast-rushes nerfed. We'll see where this leaves zergling rushes.
Ok... not too bad, I guess. As long as I can get one zealot to stand in the way next to gateway and pylon for rushes.

Sarye

Yoshichan said:
How did they nerf toss?

5 second longer warp time of zealots

edit: beaten

fake edit: it's just annoying because I find that early zealot pressure helps with the survivability of toss.

Yaweee

Yoshichan said:
Ok... not too bad, I guess. As long as I can get one zealot to stand in the way next to gateway and pylon for rushes.

Yeah, I'm a bit pensive about what those extra five seconds are going to do to 6 pooling. I suspect it will be much easier to slip a first wave in past a choke.

Maybe we'll see more early scouting, and perhaps FULL wall offs by Protoss? (more so than the double Gateways being built beyond the natural expansions in some maps)

Sarye

Yaweee said:
Yeah, I'm a bit pensive about what those extra five seconds are going to do to 6 pooling. I suspect it will be much easier to slip a first wave in past a choke.

Maybe we'll see more early scouting, and perhaps FULL wall offs by Protoss? (more so than the double Gateways being built beyond the natural expansions in some maps)

I've actually seen full wall offs already on maps with destructible rocks so this may be more viable if toss scouts an early rush. Maybe warp in a building and canceling it once you have a unit to block? I don't know.

FoxSpirit

6 pooling is such a joke. 6 Lings vs 1 Zeal+drones=dead. Sure a few drones will die but economy wise you'll be far ahead. In case of emergency (Steppes), change Gate to 13 or 12 if you feel it's too heavy on your timing. Those 5 seconds are a bit nasty though but you gotta boost your first Zeal anyway. And don't get your one Zeal surrounded.

Try it.

ChefRamsay said:
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but can someone share their thoughts on why T should be nerfed?

There must be specifics you are thinking of?

I'm not even close to the top of the Silver division, so yeah, I'm not going to pretend like I know too much.. But I would like to learn more! In the Diamond/Plat replays I've seen, I haven't seen any blatantly obvious overpowered Terran strats.

Zealots were crazy strong as an early-game force, especially against a low-level player like me. But a 5 second delay is ridiculous, even I know that :lol

Flexability of their tech and units. They have the best units (something that should be a protoss feature) and the most flex. Terran does not have to dedicate itself to a single tech route, it can freely switch between producing any tech it wants apart from ghost/battlecruiser. Also EMP is overpowered vs protoss armies as it requires no research (unlike psi storm) with a larger AoE and is lower on the tech tree among other things. Throw in that it is impossible to punish a terran that does not get detection due to Scan having a massive aoe and laster forever, the ability to instantly recover ECO should it be destroyed by mass mules and you have one overpowered race compared to the other 2. Apart from EMP vs protoss their units are fine, its just everything else they can do.

They are not unstoppable but in the hands of Koreans they will be on release. In our hands their superior strength is not that noticeable.
Plus Blizzard will not want to mess with Terran stats too much atm since it will mess with the SP campaign.

Yaweee said:

That is my main worry. It already is pretty tight timing wise.

ChronicleX said:
Plus Blizzard will not want to mess with Terran stats too much atm since it will mess with the SP campaign.

Blizzard already said campaign and mp unit stats are not tied together for Terrans. MP balancing has nothing to do with campaign.

MrCompletely said:
Blizzard already said campaign and mp unit stats are not tied together for Terrans. MP balancing has nothing to do with campaign.

If they change it too much then what people learn from the SP will not transfer over to MP. IE If you learn in SP that a Maruder beats a Roach but then at some point the MP changes to Roachs beat Maruder's then it will cause people to be confused, something blizzard will want to avoid.

Yaweee

ChronicleX said:
If they change it too much then what people learn from the SP will not transfer over to MP. IE If you learn in SP that a Maruder beats a Roach but then at some point the MP changes to Roachs beat Maruder's then it will cause people to be confused, something blizzard will want to avoid.

Nope. Not a concern for Blizzard at all, and they've said as much. There's shittons of units and upgrades in SP that aren't in multiplayer, so any semblance of balance or parity between the two is fundamentally impossible.

Sykra

ChronicleX said:

Campaign is not intended to make people get used to balance, thats what AI scenarions and practice leagues are for.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Yaweee said:
Nope. Not a concern for Blizzard at all, and they've said as much. There's shittons of units and upgrades in SP that aren't in multiplayer, so any semblance of balance or parity between the two is fundamentally impossible.

Indeed. So long as the units behave and fufill essentially the same roles there shouldn't be any issue. First time players can finish the campaign to learn the basics of the game layout, play a handful of vs. AI matches to get a feel for how the multiplayer is different, and then get into their placement matches, where, even if they fuck up initially, their skills will improve and help them advance.

scoobs

Is it just me or do the graphics look a bit better? Looks less aliased or smoother or something idk.. i could just be crazy. Played a quick 1v1 vs hard AI and smoked it... I really love infestors now more than ever

XHPrime

scoobs said:
Is it just me or do the graphics look a bit better? Looks less aliased or smoother or something idk.. i could just be crazy. Played a quick 1v1 vs hard AI and smoked it... I really love infestors now more than ever

I thought the same thing but I think in my case it was being used to replays on youtube for a month so I forgot how good it looks in game.

Tacitus_

ChronicleX said:
They are not unstoppable but in the hands of Koreans they will be on release. In our hands their superior strength is not that noticeable.

Strange, Koreans seemed to be using Zerg (and winning) at the expense of Terrans during the beta.

Calantus

just finished a game with medium AI, it's definitely better than very easy but still not hard. I'm rusty too, so it shouldn't even be hard for bronze players, gonna go up to hard next.

Tacitus_ said:
Strange, Koreans seemed to be using Zerg (and winning) at the expense of Terrans during the beta.

Its a known fact Zerg is the Koreans fav race from SCI and Terran is their least favourite. Give it time, they wont switch straight away.

K.Sabot

So this is weird and frustrating. My account got hacked, but it can't have been a keylogger because my steam and other paid services are perfectly fine. Should I just reclaim my account and try again, or go the psycho route and completely wipe my computer just to make sure?

LowParry

Well, I managed to get into a game with two new people playing on my team. Carriers galore on my team. And we won.........somehow. :lol

ultron87

CcrooK said:
Well, I managed to get into a game with two new people playing on my team. Carriers galore on my team. And we won.........somehow. :lol

Have new invites actually been sent out to increase numbers? Or are they just leaving it at the current number since anybody that wanted in really should've been able to manage to get a code.

K.Sabot said:
So this is weird and frustrating. My account got hacked, but it can't have been a keylogger because my steam and other paid services are perfectly fine. Should I just reclaim my account and try again, or go the psycho route and completely wipe my computer just to make sure?

Malewarebyes / SuperAntiSpyware. If you want to go the smart psyco route and are on windows 7 you could install a copy of windows 7 to a flash drive, then run that to scan your current installation without removing it.

IMO if its not a keylogger you most likely were dumb enough to try to login to your account on a fake bnet site and it was stolen that way.

FoxSpirit

ChronicleX said:
Its a known fact Zerg is the Koreans fav race from SCI and Terran is their least favourite. Give it time, they wont switch straight away.

Well, according to TLO the Zerg are actually slightly favoured ZvT. But then again it's TLO and he plays crazy macro in that matchup :D

LowParry

ultron87 said:
Have new invites actually been sent out to increase numbers? Or are they just leaving it at the current number since anybody that wanted in really should've been able to manage to get a code.

Probably the same people who've played before. Guess the two I played with hardly played at all. Their micromanagement sucked. And if were attacked early on, we'd of died easily since they didn't do any defense.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
286qyd2.jpg

that feels so right.

Yaweee

ChronicleX said:
Malewarebyes / SuperAntiSpyware. If you want to go the smart psyco route and are on windows 7 you could install a copy of windows 7 to a flash drive, then run that to scan your current installation without removing it.

IMO if its not a keylogger you most likely were dumb enough to try to login to your account on a fake bnet site and it was stolen that way.

Or the same email and password were used for a different site. I think that is what gets most people-- default passwords for accounts at various places.

Mihku

Still no news when we Europeans can join in on the fun? Was hoping for some SC2 action this evening, but battle.net servers still down here, and can't find any update about it on the official beta forum.

Top Bottom