• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

calder

Today, I realized that I took July 26th through August 2nd off as my random week of summer holidays. And by a happy coincidence SC2 comes out July 27th.

ROCK.

msv

Mudkips said:
The thing that's wrong with "glhf" is the idea that if you don't reciprocate, you're an asshole.
(The same goes for "gg").

It's a pointless, insincere pleasantry that I choose to not participate in.
Wut. You're overthinking things. Might be an ass that says it. Might a decent guy saying it. I don't care either way. I'm not saying anyone should say it, but I am saying people should be a bitch about it if anyone does say it.

HOLY FUCK europe is up? HOLY SHIT!!!

So a few months ago I made a few SC2 maps, two of which in particular I spent a really long time working on. When I downloaded Beta phase 2 yesterday, I was having sound issues. As a last resort I decided to just uninstall and reinstall the beta. What I didn't realize is that by taking this action I would apparently wipe my custom maps folder from existence, which obviously as a result has left me without my creations. I managed to find an older version of "Lotus Prime" by luck I had laying around in my documents folder, but "Chaos Sanctum," "Tempest," "Super Blood Bath" etc. are all gone forever it seems.

The only thing I can think of is that those of you who tested the maps with me must have downloaded them in order to play them, so the files themselves are still around unless you too have deleted them or the new patch somehow erased them or something (which I doubt). I'd ask if those of you who tested the maps with me could check and see if you have them, but then again I think any effort to do so would be a waste of time because I made sure to publish the maps as "locked" which will prevent me or anyone from opening the file in the editor to modify and save...so I think I'm screwed here. If anyone has any ideas at all (not keeping my hopes up) or would at the very least see if they have the locked file, I'd really appreciate it.

And yeah, I'm a complete idiot for not backing those files up and for it not occurring to me that uninstalling SC2 would wipe my maps. Fuck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mudkips said:
But for random matchups, I simply don't see the point in following the standard script.
It is insincere. You are not wishing the person good luck. You are competing against them, hoping they lose.

Speak for yourself.

I'd much rather have a long epic matchup where I lose over an easy win against an opponent who is a complete novice.

Is it just me or do the graphics seem different to anyone else? Not better or worse just... different....

Also in my second game I got my first whiner :lol "Wah wah Mass Void ray is nooooooo0o90o0ob"- serves the retard right for going mass marurder + medivac without marines :lol

eosos

Banned
I know it's been said before but I HATE the way custom games are managed. It's just so bad! A friend and I are in the process of creating a map right now and it's turning out to be a great one! The thing is, how will anyone ever play it?? God I just hate the custom game list so much!!! FUCK YOU LINE DEFENSE and all of your shittyness!!!!!

eosos said:
I know it's been said before but I HATE the way custom games are managed. It's just so bad! A friend and I are in the process of creating a map right now and it's turning out to be a great one! The thing is, how will anyone ever play it?? God I just hate the custom game list so much!!! FUCK YOU LINE DEFENSE and all of your shittyness!!!!!
Just make a private channel for people to default to and create games from... oh

markatisu

Captain N said:
I just got my 13 inch macbook pro. any chance this game will run on it?

The game runs on my old ass Macbook reg (the one with the uber shitty X3100 graphics), you have to have most of the settings to low. The game was even like you should not be able to play it but yet here I am losing on a regular basis :lol

So yes it should run on yours, you will just have to tweak to settings to what you find acceptable

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Still looking for an EU/AU gaffer who's willing to do the EU/AU online thread.

I don't understand the division stuff at all. The points you get determine your ranking in division and then something else determines when you rank up/down? And it's real-time so you can win but not get enough points to stay current and actually lose ranking? Cuz I know that has happened to me.

MisterAnderson said:
And yeah, I'm a complete idiot for not backing those files up and for it not occurring to me that uninstalling SC2 would wipe my maps. Fuck.

backing up is for pussies. especially when you can use a cookie crisp wand to make them pop into the air back from oblivion!

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else's SC2 freezing in Win7 x64? I have it happen every once and a while, usually only in 2v2 or above matches.

We just recently discovered that the most recent beta patch for Mac does not include precompiled shaders. This would explain the 5-10 sec lag you are reporting, as the game is generating the shaders while you're playing.

We'll make sure to include the precompiled shaders when we update the beta again. This was merely an oversight.
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?sid=5000&topicId=25969036990&postId=259665209975

I guess this explains the horrid performance on Macs... but what I don't understand is, what's wrong with Source games then, and why only Nvidia cards?

scoobs

Pai Pai Master said:
Yep, I got pretty sucky while beta was gone. :lol This is sad.
I know. And when I lose I'm like... laughing at myself because of how awful my opponent is and i have no way to beat him. Its just awful. I am so bad right now I can't even explain it lol.

Ashhong

WOW talk about bad sportsmanship. 2v2, we raped this team and so they decided to start building nexuses everywhere. this dude build like at least 10 nexus. finally he thought he would be clever and actually typed out "FrozenMango has left the game" hoping we would quit. :lol

fuck you. took like 20 minutes longer than it should have.

zoukka

1000 wins to get the last avatars :lol

I want my Queen of Blades :|

Ashhong said:
WOW talk about bad sportsmanship. 2v2, we raped this team and so they decided to start building nexuses everywhere. this dude build like at least 10 nexus. finally he thought he would be clever and actually typed out "FrozenMango has left the game" hoping we would quit. :lol

What's worse... I've seen this behaviour in custom games.

Ashhong said:

Only thing I see wrong with this behavior is if you're dying to get higher on the ladder, and in that scenario I can fully understand the resentment.

However, being one of the few and the proud who really do play sc2 casually (at least for now) I love games like this. It's so satisfying to just slowly hunt them down as they waste their time and spend so much effort trying to get me to quit or something.

It's really immature and for that alone it can be infuriating too, but I really feed off their frustration! It becomes a game in and of itself: how to most efficiently and quickly scan the map for all remaining buildings.

CcrooK said:
How many 3v3 maps are there suppose to be in retail? I'm getting tired of killing teams with cannon rushes.

needs more information, you left out the part that connects what maps there are with the apparent obvious cannon rush because of such maps that's causing you boredom.

Regardless, there should be a lot of maps judging by previous craft games. I am anxiously awaiting their (hopefully well designed) max player game like divide and conquer for warcraft 3.

Xamdou said:
So with the character codes, 111 means the first one to register the name since all cc are three digits?
Not sure if it works that way, they might just give you a random combination of numbers that isn't used yet for this username. Also, it would probably give you 001 if you were the first one.

I'm currently in the process of logging into the EU server. It's kinda screwed up, it took me about 10 minutes alone to even be able to enter my password/authenticator and now I seem to be stuck, I just clicked Accept on the last EULA thing and now it won't go on. Oh joy.

TheHeretic said:
So whats the most popular race in the beta?

Terran by far in phase 1. Protoss / Zerg are fairy even in numbers overall as lowbies all used Terran or Protoss and as you went up the number or Zergs increased while Protoss went down
and the protoss that did appear at this point only ever cheezed

Xamdou said:
So with the character codes, 111 means the first one to register the name since all cc are three digits?

Its randomly generated, unless I am the 440'th ChronicleX in EU within 10 minutes of the servers coming back online :lol

Chris R

ZvZ is pretty damn boring at my level (Gold) I out zergling them with superior macro, and with the bonus units and slightly better micro the games don't last long. They try to go roaches or spam spine crawlers, but by then my speedlings are just too much. Just wish I could play Random with no mirror matchups :(

It just occured to me, 40 games and I think I've faced a single other random. I don't know how people can bother to choose races.

I hope the random portraits are just placeholder and get changed to Xel'Naga stuff once the game is released. The hodgepodge of races they get right now aren't cool.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Son of Godzilla said:
It just occured to me, 40 games and I think I've faced a single other random. I don't know how people can bother to choose races.

I hope the random portraits are just placeholder and get changed to Xel'Naga stuff once the game is released. The hodgepodge of races they get right now aren't cool.
Some people just want to get good with a single race and can't be bothered to suck with all three ;-)

And I can say that, I was a random player in phase 1.

Zzoram

Son of Godzilla said:

Picking a race means you can get a lot better because you only have to practice 3 matchups instead of 7.

Top Bottom