• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

zoukka

rhfb said:
ZvZ is pretty damn boring at my level (Gold) I out zergling them with superior macro, and with the bonus units and slightly better micro the games don't last long. They try to go roaches or spam spine crawlers, but by then my speedlings are just too much. Just wish I could play Random with no mirror matchups :(

Why go mass zergling if it's boring?

zoukka

rhfb said:
Because I'd prefer to win :p I'm just not at a high enough level yet where my poor early zerg game gets destroyed forcing me to improve :(

Well you're in no position to complain if you are just out for easy wins. I've tried going roach against zerg. Blocking ramps with hold-roaches and trying to just macro my way to victory. It's hard and frustrating, but will eventually pay off.

Won said:
I personally just can't stand Zerg mirrors, so avoid everything that makes me play Zerg.

Its a pain as it just boils down to a mass baneling fest, but if you 1 base roach most people just suicide into you.

Victrix

*beard*
Is anyone else weirded out by the fact that this game is actually, finally, really coming out?

I mean, seems obvious right? But good lord. Few weeks from now, and Starcraft 2 will finally be on shelves. It's surreal.

Almost like DNF coming out... :lol

Xamdou said:
So with the character codes, 111 means the first one to register the name since all cc are three digits?
It's just a random number not based on who created the name first. My nickname is fairly unique (VietBitter) and my code is in the hundreds.

Man

Okay... so this is a bit messy now.

So you have Real ID on top:

name.lastname

Then you can have ingame id's that are:

name + number

Am I understanding this correctly?

Man said:
Okay... so this is a bit messy now.

So you have Real ID on top:

name.lastname

Then you can have ingame id's that are:

name + number

Am I understanding this correctly?
No, they got rid of name.lastname

It's character name followed by a character code and its seperate. RealID needs their email, which shows more things about the player like their real name and exactly where they are, in game, in menu, etc etc.

F#A#Oo

Banned
MrAffluenza 309

Anyone know how these codes are given out?

Blizzard seem to be wanting to do some real weird things...almost like they want to cause hoopla's amongst gamers...

zoukka

Yeah everyone plays Terran. And I'm rusty as fuck.

And nobody fast expands. Just like it was in the beginning of the beta :lol

zoukka said:
Me: fast expand. Macro.
Opponent: timing push.
Me: fail.

I gotta learn to play it safe. Or to mass spine crawlers.
Spine crawlers are pretty essential unless they're teching, you should always try to scout to find out.

Victrix said:
Is anyone else weirded out by the fact that this game is actually, finally, really coming out?

I mean, seems obvious right? But good lord. Few weeks from now, and Starcraft 2 will finally be on shelves. It's surreal.

Almost like DNF coming out... :lol
I had that feeling up until the beta started, that wowness isn't really there for me anymore. Once chat channels come back and I reunite with all my old Starcraft friends, it's gonna be pretty exciting.

jasonng

You can get a lot of practice with your macro if you play coop vs ai. The computers are completely predictable but they macro very well if you don't harass them. It certainly helped me get back into the swing of things. Well, almost.

Xamdou

So when you add someone to your friends list, when you go to their profile do you see their first and last names? I thought Blizzard changed their minds about it.

Xamdou said:
So when you add someone to your friends list, when you go to their profile do you see their first and last names? I thought Blizzard changed their minds about it.
Only if you add them as RealID through their email, using Character name and code only displays their nickname.

Zzoram

Xamdou said:

IF you add a friend by their email (Real ID), you see their first and last name. You can also see each other's Real ID friends' real names, so if you have a Real ID friend who indescriminately adds Real ID friends, tons of strangers can see you full name.

Someone that's not me should put together an end of beta tournament.

Also, OptimoPeach 633. Was mid-to-high diamond last patch, but I suck ass now

BishopLamont said:
Spine crawlers are pretty essential unless they're teching, you should always try to scout to find out.

I had that feeling up until the beta started, that wowness isn't really there for me anymore. Once chat channels come back and I reunite with all my old Starcraft friends, it's gonna be pretty exciting.

i bet chat channels will make it back in the form of group facebook chats requiring you to be "fan of GAFchat" for channel #GAFchat. Their reasoning will be to keep people from making channels named #tubgirl or #goatse.

OptimoPeach said:
Someone that's not me should put together an end of beta tournament.

Also, OptimoPeach 633. Was mid-to-high diamond last patch, but I suck ass now
We need chat channels at the very least.

Ice Monkey said:
i bet chat channels will make it back in the form of group facebook chats requiring you to be "fan of GAFchat" for channel #GAFchat. Their reasoning will be to keep people from making channels named #tubgirl or #goatse.
I don't see why they would do that. Private channels aren't advertised anywhere.

BishopLamont said:
We need chat channels at the very least.

I don't see why they would do that. Private channels aren't advertised anywhere.

oh i know, i was just taking a jab at their real ID shenanigans.

That game we played the other day was brutal...I was having the most ridiculous brainfarts as I rocked two expos to your 10 or so and kept throwing away mutas and lings to like small groups of marines. So terrifyingly sad on my part, I was playing like very easy AI!

longdi

Banned
anyone faced a bug with windows 7 64bit where you finish a match, and you let the game idle, a few minutes later you get a blue screen of inactivity. i must hard reset my pc and Windows boot with a "windows did not shut down properly" safety screen at bios.
?

longdi said:
anyone faced a bug with windows 7 64bit where you finish a match, and you let the game idle, a few minutes later you get a blue screen of inactivity. i must hard reset my pc and Windows boot with a "windows did not shut down properly" safety screen at bios.
?

well i dont have the issue but ill note windows always says that if you dont manually select shutdown or restart. I've never had an issue after power buttoning my computer unlike the advice of most people, however, but maybe I'm the exception not the rule?

Xamdou

Definitely need chat channels, they had it in battle.net 1.0 and now they don't have it.

Do we have a list of sc2 beta gaf users? So we can add everybody on gaf.

Edit: Deleted published maps on BNET are now greyed out, no more map not found errors!

robochimp said:
You could hope that they may send out more invites to people with battle net accounts for stress testing
I doubt they're gonna send out anymore invites at this point. Release is imminent and they rather force you to preorder to get in on the action.

Ice Monkey said:
what about amazon and gamestop preorders?
What about them? All preorders will give you a beta key.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
There's something i don't understand.

If i try to make a match with only CPUs. Let's say 3vs3 with all AIs set at medium.

The AIs that are my allies are always getting themselves destroyed so easily by the other team, yet they are set at the same difficulty.. wtf? It's like i've put the AIs on my team on Easy, even though they are Medium.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
BishopLamont said:
Edit: Deleted published maps on BNET are now greyed out, no more map not found errors!

I doubt they're gonna send out anymore invites at this point. Release is imminent and they rather force you to preorder to get in on the action.

What about them? All preorders will give you a beta key.

Wait.. So, I go preorder right now through Amazon I'll get a beta code?

n3ss said:
Wait.. So, I go preorder right now through Amazon I'll get a beta code?
You have to wait for them to email you, the time could vary from 1 hour up until release date. If you're gonna buy the game you might aswell preorder it asap.

Bisnic said:
There's something i don't understand.

If i try to make a match with only CPUs. Let's say 3vs3 with all AIs set at medium.

The AIs that are my allies are always getting themselves destroyed so easily by the other team, yet they are set at the same difficulty.. wtf? It's like i've put the AIs on my team on Easy, even though they are Medium.
Step your game up. :p

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
whats the counter to tanks and vikings as terran besides mirroring it? i heard in several hd commentaries that tvt is the most varied mirror match so there must be a counter, right?

Top Bottom