• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

FoxSpirit

ChronicleX said:
That was not Day9. That was either Husky or HD (I think it was HD, was a pretty epic match).

Oh yeah, you're right, was HD... man, really need to get a clear head agaiun after all that worldcup and random celebrations :lol

scoobs

haha just found a little easter egg/shout-out to Valve I guess?? In the league achievements one of the very last ones is called "Meet the Spy" (reference to team fortress 2 videos).. the achievement involves killing 5 changelings in a single match. ><

IceMarker

scoobs said:
haha just found a little easter egg/shout-out to Valve I guess?? In the league achievements one of the very last ones is called "Meet the Spy" (reference to team fortress 2 videos).. the achievement involves killing 5 changelings in a single match. ><
:lol

Blizzard and Valve need to really collaborate on something.

scoobs said:
What's better, you actually get it for having 5 changelings die.

Johann

Brings me back to the Summer of 1998. I've even played with one of my childhood friends again.

watervengeance said:
A game that'll be released Soon TM, which actually means never in Valve time.

Too much bad blood between Vivendi and Valve for it to happen.

MrMister said:
:lol

Blizzard and Valve need to really collaborate on something.

my God, take it back...blizzard time and valve "soon" would meld together following a collaboration announcement causing a rip in the space-time continuum.

Add in 3DRealms for some character development support and I believe the Earth would just stop spinning by mere mention of the idea.

zoukka

"Would you kindly" achievement is also a videogame reference.

Which brings me to yesterdays 3v3 and 4v4 games where I massed infestors only. This game is the most funniest shit ever. Of course these games are nothing serious, but I literally killed like 50 hydralisk's with 5-8 infestors. Burrowed near them -> fungal growth -> hydras advance -> fungal growth hydras advance -> fungal growth hydras advance -> fungal growth...

They tried to back out when the Hydra's had like 10 hp, but all for nothing :b My teammates played more standard (better), but this was the most fun I've had with this game. In another game I pinned a concentrated ball of 30-ish mutas with one fungal growth... sooo cold.

And Ultras are scary now on ZVZ.

celebi23

well fuck, kinda a bit screwed with my setup. So, I finally decided to start playing the beta again (been busy with summer classes), started my first placement match & immediately tried moving around the map (I'm 99% positive that I used WASD + a mouse before the beta went on hiatus) & I couldn't move. I checked the hotkey preferences & there's no way to change any of them. It's kinda hard to use the arrow keys & a mouse at the same time (on my MacBook Pro & using the Magic Mouse). I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I can't figure out how to change the hotkeys. Anyone having this issue?

IceMarker

scoobs said:
Also, just found another shout out to Valve in the achievements.

Professionals have Standards: Use 20 sniper rounds in a single league match.

TF2's Sniper says that in the Meet The Sniper video. :lol

celebi23 said:
well fuck, kinda a bit screwed with my setup. So, I finally decided to start playing the beta again (been busy with summer classes), started my first placement match & immediately tried moving around the map (I'm 99% positive that I used WASD + a mouse before the beta went on hiatus) & I couldn't move. I checked the hotkey preferences & there's no way to change any of them. It's kinda hard to use the arrow keys & a mouse at the same time (on my MacBook Pro & using the Magic Mouse). I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I can't figure out how to change the hotkeys. Anyone having this issue?
WASD has never been to move. To move shortish distances you should be moving your mouse to the edge of the screen, or be holding middle click and dragging (Change the sensitivity of both options to suit you), and be clicking the minimap for longer distances.

Meier

Played a few games yesterday.. good news is I can run it on max settings. So-so news is that the game is essentially the exact same game as the original. Bad news is I was rusty as hell and got smoked to high heaven. :lol

I appreciate that they didn't mess with the formula too much as it was a winning one, but if people felt like Crackdown 2 wasn't enough of a sequel, they'll shit a brick at this. It's the same damn game minus the sexy medics.

Meier said:
Played a few games yesterday.. good news is I can run it on max settings. So-so news is that the game is essentially the exact same game as the original. Bad news is I was rusty as hell and got smoked to high heaven. :lol

I appreciate that they didn't mess with the formula too much as it was a winning one, but if people felt like Crackdown 2 wasn't enough of a sequel, they'll shit a brick at this. It's the same damn game minus the sexy medics.
That's what everyone says at first, myself included. Give it time and SCII will shine like the modern-day masterpiece that it is. Protip: one week from now, go back to the original and you'll see what I mean.

Meier said:

Not really :lol

Meier

The Lamonster said:
That's what everyone says at first, myself included. Give it time and SCII will shine like the modern-day masterpiece that it is.
Yeah, that's obviously a very high level viewpoint.. I am sure once you get into the intricacies it will have a more unique feel, but at face value, it really does appear quite samey. This could be seen as a good thing -- I don't really care all that much myself, but the fact that the units, buildings, etc. are all the same with some minor tweaks was fairly shocking to me as I haven't really followed much of the development.

zoukka

Meier said:
Yeah, that's obviously a very high level viewpoint.. I am sure once you get into the intricacies it will have a more unique feel, but at face value, it really does appear quite samey. This could be seen as a good thing -- I don't really care all that much myself, but the fact that the units, buildings, etc. are all the same with some minor tweaks was fairly shocking to me as I haven't really followed much of the development.

I'm not in "high-level" and after playing beta I went back to Brood War, and they are nothing alike. Everything looks the same from a glance, but not a single unit behaves like it used to and the 3D engine makes it completely different to control.

Sure marines fire gauss rifles, zerglings stab you and the tanks siege-up, but that's just the aesthetics of it all. Give it some time.

joelseph

As a protross player I have hardly any issues with Zerg currently. Mirror matches can go either way. It is the damn Terran that are crushing me. Any other Protoss players out there have any tips?

Yaweee

Meier said:

If you think it is the same as the original, that's probably one of the big reasons why you got smoked.

Only about half the units are the same, and I think it is actually a bit under that? The only returning units are:

All 3 workers

Marines
Tanks
Battlecruisers
Ghosts

Zerglings
Hydralists
Mutalisks
Ultralisks
Overlords (though functionally quite different)

Zealots
Carriers
High Templars
Dark Templars
(Archons)
Observers

But almost every single unit or building that does return has some kind of absolute vital new mechanic or ability.

There's nothing "high-level" about the analysis. You pretend it is Starcraft 1, and you will get completely fucking owned endlessly, even at the noob level.

Cheeto

joelseph said:
As a protross player I have hardly any issues with Zerg currently. Mirror matches can go either way. It is the damn Terran that are crushing me. Any other Protoss players out there have any tips?
Check out Day9's daily about WhiteRa's PvT play... pretty good explanation and execution to think about. Mainly focuses on how WhiteRa will do things like build a stargate just to build a single void ray, forcing the terran to assume you're massing them and they'll react by pushing out more marines or turrets which can give you an advantage in the counter to their counter.

V_Arnold

joelseph said:

Well, what exactly are they crushing you with?
Because there are a lot of different shenningans one will encounter against a terran.

Basic rules: get vision, catch Siege tanks unsieged, try to harass, do not let to be contaminated.

Some patches ago, it was quite popular to do an all-in reaper rush, against which you can defend with the fastest possible 10gate->gas->cyber core-> chrono boosted stalker build.

Robotics Bay kinda rocks against many terran builds, so you might aswell try and make sure to use a lot in games. You will need it for the observer anyway, so it wont hurt.

Won

Meier said:

It's the low level viewpoint where the differences really come into play. Broodwar is like unplayable compared to this.

thefil

I'm feeling pretty comfortable in Bronze league now. I'm playing random, as I didn't want my preference from SC1 to influence which race "feels right" in SC2, but it looks like I'm still gravitating towards Protoss. When I play Protoss I win more than I lose, when I get Terran I'm about even, and my Zerg... my Zerg is so bad. I think I've won one game as Zerg by mass speedlings, otherwise loss loss loss.

joelseph

Cheeto said:
Check out Day9's daily about WhiteRa's PvT play... pretty good explanation and execution to think about. Mainly focuses on how WhiteRa will do things like build a stargate just to build a single void ray, forcing the terran to assume you're massing them and they'll react by pushing out more marines or turrets which can give you an advantage in the counter to their counter.

I have been trying this type of tactic. I have been turtling into beacon and waiting for them to counter then dumping back into blink stalkers.

I do need to work on my vision against tanks.

I just can't seem to come up with anything for a MM ball with medvac and mech support.

V_Arnold

Meier said:

I liked playing terran.
First beta experiences with them:
-OMG, you can lever the supply. Damn, perfect change for wallins.
-OMG, Mules / Additional Supply besides scanning? Hm...
-Wut, Marauders? Whao, Medic is a new unit?
-Oh hi Tanks, I see you but wha...Thors? Where are dem Vultures?

It is like if you just glance at the "game" without checking out what are the new units, the new abilities exisiting units got, it MIGHT feel like "SC 1.1 HD". But it is not. It is on a totally different level. Unit AI, control interface, new stuff, more layered map, Xel Naga Watchtowers, Walkers.... and the TOTALLY revamped ground/air/mixup game of all races. It is nothing like original SC.

joelseph said:
I have been trying this type of tactic. I have been turtling into beacon and waiting for them to counter then dumping back into blink stalkers.

I do need to work on my vision against tanks.

I just can't seem to come up with anything for a MM ball with medvac and mech support.

I've done a good job luring the tanks/MMM ball with my main force and flanking 2-3 Void Rays to take out the tanks from behind while throwing up some force fields to keep the MMM ball from getting too close to my Colossi. Granted, this is in silver league.

Meier

zoukka said:
I'm not in "high-level"
Looking at it from a high-level aka the 30,000 foot view rather than getting to know it better. A first glance if you will. Not high-level as in a pro gamers or something.

Is the beta open to anyone or do you have to do something to get it?

Wanna see if it'll run ok on my system.

BTW, totally unrelated (kinda) but how much value do people think this would be worth? (it's a Blizzard art brochure/catalogue with 6 HQ prints on shiney card with folder and WoW catalogue)

29qnndx.jpg

zoukka

Meier said:
Looking at it from a high-level aka the 30,000 foot view rather than getting to know it better. A first glance if you will. Not high-level as in a pro gamers or something.

I didn't understand anything you said.

joelseph said:

Fast Void Ray on 2v2 maps / Scrap Station and Cheese on shorter maps. If you do not like cheesing then go stalkers with blink instead.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ChronicleX said:
Fast Void Ray on 2v2 maps / Scrap Station and Cheese on shorter maps. If you do not like cheesing then go stalkers with blink instead.
i agree with void rays as well. id get them everytime in tvp unless you know they're massing rines from the get go

AdamMPSP

So, I just pre-ordered Starcraft 2 yesterday from amazon. Does anyone know if there's still a way to get into the beta, so that I can get started before the game comes out?

Kinyou

HELL YEAH!

Just beat a toss player who first tried to proxy me and started to turtle in with his cannons to mass up Void Rays.

The best part though was when he even prematurely gg'ed. After that I really wanted to beat him, which I thx to my little marines and siege tanks did. :D

9j22oh.jpg

FoxSpirit

Could someone with a ATI 5xxx or a decent NVidia card post some good quality screenshots with max setting and some SuperSampling AA? Would be awesome :D

watervengeance said:
For what purpose? To strengthen your main army or harassing the mineral line?
Harass with your first Void Ray and it'll usually force them to make more Marines and Turrets than they want to, which will cut into their main army. You can pump Zealots out of 2-3 Gates and get Charge which will wreck the Marines. The Voids will basically force them to change their strategy -- and most lower level players will overreact.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Meier said:

There's definitely a lot of elements that were directly ripped from Brood War, but there's a lot of differences too. In reality, only about half the tech tree and unit composition is ripped from Brood War. Things like auto-mine, MBS, larger control groups, improved pathing, also give macro and micro a different pacing. Sure, they didn't change the overall formula, but they certainly tweaked it enough to make it a different game.

And we haven't even touched on the single player, which is basically a quantum leap forward difference from Brood War.

So does anyone's vespene geysers look strange or is it just me and my brother? They have like a purplish cloudy look to the them. It'svery strange. Are they supposed to be like that? I find it odd that they looks the same on both my brother's and machine and my own. Both running windows (different versions) with nVidia graphics cards. (260GTX and 8800GT)

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Kinyou said:
HELL YEAH!

Just beat a toss player who first tried to proxy me and started to turtle in with his cannons to mass up Void Rays.

The best part though was when he even prematurely gg'ed. After that I really wanted to beat him, which I thx to my little marines and siege tanks did. :D

Nothing pisses me off than premature GG, but nothing feels better than beating the SOB who does it :lol

NIN90

Confused101 said:
So does anyone's vespene geysers look strange or is it just me and my brother? They have like a purplish cloudy look to the them. It'svery strange. Are they supposed to be like that? I find it odd that they looks the same on both my brother's and machine and my own. Both running windows (different versions) with nVidia graphics cards. (260GTX and 8800GT)

I had the same thing on one particular map yesterday. HD4850 here.

Doc Holliday said:
Nothing pisses me off than premature GG, but nothing feels better than beating the SOB who does it :lol

most people who premature GG aren't good enough to actually follow through and take the win. The thing about a true premature GG is that you're saying it when the opponent can actually still win. It's amazing both that someone would do that to make it more challenging to win (everyone's pissed when someone premature GGs) and that so, soooooo many people do it.

The Argument said:
that sc2 is too similar to sc1

There are some obvious carryovers from sc1 (would any sequel have completely different units?) but I really should go resurrect my wayyyyyyyyy old post in this thread where I took the units and buildings and such and compared them based on whether the general way the unit worked was different or not. i.e.: lings are the same, spawning pools are the same, but roaches are obviously different and terran add-ons are completely different.

I believe it works out that more than half of the units and buildings are completely different, even moreso if you look at how overlords can spawn creep and such and the bonus damage is radically altered. At least in multiplayer, and not to mention the removal of many many classic units from multiplayer, and single player is going to be simply nuts with all the new units not accessible in multi.

Don't be surprised when you see stuff like officially sanctioned/designed megalisks and crazylisks with a side of insanelisks.

eznark

Banned
Oh man, it suggests playing in 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4's after the initial matches? Fuck I feel sorry for the people who get paired up with me.

Pimpbaa

I haven't been following this beta much other than people taking about the game poorly using todays CPUs. Does that mean it runs like ass on lower end C2Ds?

Pimpbaa said:
I haven't been following this beta much other than people taking about the game poorly using todays CPUs. Does that mean it runs like ass on lower end C2Ds?
I've heard the chatter about this, but my personal experience is that SCII runs great. Even better than I thought it would.

However, it runs like absolute shit on Macs.

Top Bottom