• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

celebi23

darkpaladinmfc said:
WASD has never been to move. To move shortish distances you should be moving your mouse to the edge of the screen, or be holding middle click and dragging (Change the sensitivity of both options to suit you), and be clicking the minimap for longer distances.

Huh, you're right. Guess I was playing too much Team Fortress 2 before playing StarCraft 2 :lol

Cru Jones

I have a Q9450 and HD5850 and it can run very slow... I am getting as low as 15fps sometimes with medium settings on a fresh windows install. I think what i need to do is increase graphics and decrease the physics, etc. to get a good bost

NIN90

Cru Jones said:
I have a Q9450 and HD5850 and it can run very slow... I am getting as low as 15fps sometimes with medium settings on a fresh windows install. I think what i need to do is increase graphics and decrease the physics, etc. to get a good bost

Wow, that doesn't sound right at all. I can play it pretty much maxed at 1080p with my measely HD4850.

The Lamonster said:
However, it runs like absolute shit on Macs.

ack, just read that as I load the beta onto my 13" MacBook (not-a-pro) to sneak a little SC2 in on my vacation. Might be better off loading it under Boot-camp (winXP sp2) ?

The computer has a 2ghz Core 2 Duo, 2gigs of RAM, Nvidia 9400m... how am doing?

scoobs

Is it just me or are there officially no more noobs playing this beta? I'm in bronze (used to be platinum in phase 1...) and i get matched up against diamond and platinum only... ever. 6 in a row today and lost em all, yet continue to get put up against them.

LowParry

Cru Jones said:

Or something's wrong with your computer. I'm running a Phenom II BE 3.0 quad with an HD5850 and have everything at max. Only time you'll see a stutter is when you get the big battles of 6 people going at each other.

Speaking of, I'm really loving the zerg. I can finally put to rest the Protoss. However! Doing a nuke run with Terran is pretty damn fun to. Random has been my choice of play lately.

Ashhong

Cru Jones said:

yea im running on E7400 and a 512mb 4870 and the recommended settings are pretty much all Ultra and it runs like it. sometimes i will however get a drop in FPS if its a big battle or something. was it always this bad? try turning on the vsync option in Graphics.

When this beta phase started, my game ran like shit until i did this. even the video behind the main menu was lagging.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
so as a i mentioned before i'm thinking about the tvt game, and for the mid-skill level it's still all about mass viking and tanks. ive been trying to think of an noob capable alternative and i think ive got one

how does this sound

SCOUTING CLOAKED GHOSTS

in place of vikings thats how i would give my tanks the edge while avoiding the cost of vikings. unless the opponent has insanely good vision and is always watching his tanks this shooould work. ill try it sooooon.

Zzoram

scoobs said:
Is it just me or are there officially no more noobs playing this beta? I'm in bronze (used to be platinum in phase 1...) and i get matched up against diamond and platinum only... ever. 6 in a row today and lost em all, yet continue to get put up against them.

Noobs probably started to play vs the AI instead. Oh well, their decision, even if they're missing out on the opportunity to actually learn from better players.

Zzoram

-COOLIO- said:
so as a i mentioned before i'm thinking about the tvt game, and for the mid-skill level it's still all about mass viking and tanks. ive been trying to think of an noob capable alternative and i think ive got one

how does this sound

SCOUTING CLOAKED GHOSTS

in place of vikings thats how i would give my tanks the edge while avoiding the cost of vikings. unless the opponent has insanely good vision and is always watching his tanks this shooould work. ill try it sooooon.

Terran could just scan and kill the ghosts. It's much better and cheaper to just use a floating barracks like everyone did in Broodwar.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
-COOLIO- said:

how does this sound

SCOUTING CLOAKED GHOSTS

But you could get 2 tanks for the cost of a cloaked ghost :[ (Nuke is a nice though)

It's could work as a non standard strat, but your ghost can die to 1 scan.
I'd rather build 3 barracks and float them. Vikings can't kill all of them that fast. :lol

-COOLIO- said:

how does this sound

SCOUTING CLOAKED GHOSTS

How would you get the ghosts inside their base to begin with?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Hazaro said:
But you could get 2 tanks for the cost of a cloaked ghost :[ (Nuke is a nice though)

It's could work as a non standard strat, but your ghost can die to 1 scan.
I'd rather build 3 barracks and float them. Vikings can't kill all of them that fast. :lol
that's a good point. maybe ill just be aggressive early on and win with tank numbers doing that but unless i can push his vikings back some how hes going to have as much vision as i do >:[

with a cloaked ghost i might be able to get one good surprise on him and hit his tanks hard... or probably not, back to the drawing board for me

watervengeance said:
How would you get the ghosts inside their base to begin with?

id just be using them for tank vision

holy shit, the amount of intense hatred on the interwebs towards SC2 is appalling. I really don't get why some people call it like "just like SC1" or that DOW2 or company of heroes FFS is better than starcraft 2. It's just unbelievable. As if the base building aspect of, in my opinion, true RTSes is somehow antiquated and a busted old piece of crap. I really think they must be just trolling the crap out of the internet tubes because they are butthurt from losing a few matches to koreans or something.

scoobs

Ice Monkey said:
holy shit, the amount of intense hatred on the interwebs towards SC2 is appalling. I really don't get why some people call it like "just like SC1" or that DOW2 or company of heroes FFS is better than starcraft 2. It's just unbelievable. As if the base building aspect of, in my opinion, true RTSes is somehow antiquated and a busted old piece of crap. I really think they must be just trolling the crap out of the internet tubes because they are butthurt from losing a few matches to koreans or something.
who are "they?" As far as i can tell everyone loves this game.

scoobs said:

random idiots in blogs and a forum I'd rather not mention that I stumbled across in a google search about the Warcraft 3 beta. I also thought everyone was hyped about Starcraft 2 till reading a few posts on that forum. I guess with their don't-support-the-developer habits it would make sense they have nothing to say but criticism about the games they don't buy :-/

Milabrega

scoobs said:

Yep, everyone just loves having region restrictions. Pretty sure the decision to remove name/password game joining and browsing by custom game titles are popular decisions as well. I personally like that I can learn the names of my friends' friends and exchange emails with them so I can have added features like broadcast and away messages. Community sure was thrilled to find out chat rooms and the Protoss/Zerg campaigns will be coming later on. I for one can't even believe they are going to add chat rooms, I mean do people really want them? I'm looking forward to the DLC maps though, can't understand all these haters and their baseless complaints.

Cels

Confused101 said:
So does anyone's vespene geysers look strange or is it just me and my brother? They have like a purplish cloudy look to the them. It'svery strange. Are they supposed to be like that? I find it odd that they looks the same on both my brother's and machine and my own. Both running windows (different versions) with nVidia graphics cards. (260GTX and 8800GT)

Known issue - http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?sid=5000&topicId=25026453157

Insaniac said:
medium AI is too easy, hard is too hard ... what to do :(

wat. even insane difficulty is mad easy. very hard is a joke.

I'm not trying to be rude, but i mean im not that great at the game and super rusty and very hard is a cakewalk. insane you just cannon or bunker rush and you win. (they have way too much of a monetary advantage to not use cheese)

try beating hard or very hard with a simple strategy: defend with some zealots until you get voids and then just mass voids. 1 expansion is all thats really necessary.

Yaweee said:
There's nothing "high-level" about the analysis. You pretend it is Starcraft 1, and you will get completely fucking owned endlessly, even at the noob level.

If you pretend Broodwar was Starcraft vanilla you would get completely fucking owned endlessly. Blizzard made Starcraft 2010. Is it a sequel? I unno.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Son of Godzilla said:
If you pretend Broodwar was Starcraft vanilla you would get completely fucking owned endlessly. Blizzard made Starcraft 2010. Is it a sequel? I unno.

If Starcraft 2 does not qualify as a sequel, than neither does 75% of other games that are called sequels.

You know, games like God of War II, Metroid Prime 2-3, Assassin's Creed II, Half-Life 2, Devil May Cry 3, Metal Gear Solids 2 - 4, Gears of War 2 and 3, Street Fighter IV, Sonics 2, 3, and Knuckles, Soul Caliburs II - IV, Halos 2 and 3, any Zelda game after OOT, etc etc etc etc etc. All of these games retain the absolute key assets of gameplay, story, characters, of their immediate predecessors. Some even have art assets that are ripped wholesale from those predecessors.

Starcraft 2 has a ridiculously upgraded Single Player, a completely different online service (for better or worse), numerous interface improvements that change the pacing and accessibility of the game, with numerous changes in unit composition, tech choices, and play styles.

If Starcraft 2 can not properly be called a sequel to the original, then you have to levy this exact same complaint against the vast majority of games that are called sequels.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Being random is so much fun :D, i dont understand how people can be tied to a race

zoukka

Damn, in phase one I was a solid Diamond player. And now I'm surely going to drop from plat to gold.

It's so hard to be a zerg. You need the expo much sooner than your opponent and that's when they usually strike.

No wonder I see so few zerg players online.

Mr Cola said:
Being random is so much fun :D, i dont understand how people can be tied to a race

I got utterly fed up with TvT so now I'm queueing as zerg. I can't fucking stand mechplay. At all. ataltlaltaltaltall. Fucking mechs.

ZealousD said:
If Starcraft 2 can not properly be called a sequel to the original, then you have to levy this exact same complaint against the vast majority of games that are called sequels.

I'm not one to argue pro-lazy cash in, but most sequels have an excuse for reusing design/assets in that they aren't spaced 12 years apart. There is a *lot* in SC2 that feels like it's included not because it was a good decision, but because anything else would feel too different from SC1.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Son of Godzilla said:
I got utterly fed up with TvT so now I'm queueing as zerg. I can't fucking stand mechplay. At all. ataltlaltaltaltall. Fucking mechs.
And you can stand zvz :lol ? Worst matchup ingame bar none, id take 100 viking v viking fights over whoever can get lings out first and if that fails banelings, the incessant fucking micro every game is terrible, at least its over quick.

Mr Cola said:
And you can stand zvz :lol ? Worst matchup ingame bar none, id take 100 viking v viking fights over whoever can get lings out first and if that fails banelings, the incessant fucking micro every game is terrible, at least its over quick.
I had a game on scrapstation come down to Hide the Hive featuring Infestors vs Broodlords. It wasn't fun.

But fuck yes, I like ZvZ. Mainly because pumping lings is the one goddamn thing I can do in this game with blind success.

spazzfish

When paired against an opponent that's 'Favoured', I'm assuming that must be a player from a higher division. Any way of knowing how much higher or would it generally be a player from just one league ahead?

Mr Cola

spazzfish said:
When paired against an opponent that's 'Favoured', I'm assuming that must be a player from a higher division. Any way of knowing how much higher or would it generally be a player from just one league ahead?
Check his profile post-game

Ashhong

Son of Godzilla said:
I'm not one to argue pro-lazy cash in, but most sequels have an excuse for reusing design/assets in that they aren't spaced 12 years apart. There is a *lot* in SC2 that feels like it's included not because it was a good decision, but because anything else would feel too different from SC1.

What exactly did they leave out? Changing the game mechanics and making it feel too different from SC1 would actually be a terrible decision. So in turn, them not including such a thing is indeed a good decision.

spazzfish said:
The game doesn't look at either player's league or division -- it looks at your invisible ELO points.

FoxSpirit

zoukka said:
I hate people like you :D

But really, pro ZvZ is mass Hydra/Roach macro fest. I just panicked yesterday but I could have easily gone for the Blings and won. Or Roaches. Well, more practice :)

And msv, we left because we have to work today. Or I should but felt so shitty I decided to take the day off. Don't like that but it was really bad :-(

FoxSpirit said:
But really, pro ZvZ is mass Hydra/Roach macro fest. I just panicked yesterday but I could have easily gone for the Blings and won. Or Roaches. Well, more practice :)

And msv, we left because we have to work today. Or I should but felt so shitty I decided to take the day off. Don't like that but it was really bad :-(
Not at all. At the beginning of the beta it was, but now its a Speedling/Bling into Muta/Corrupter.

Mr Cola

Also 4 gate all in maybe the hardest thing ive ever faced as zerg, i would love some peoples help on trying to beat it, currently if i scout the cyber and 2 gates i go into an expansion, sunk up and mass roach/lings and only once in the last 4 games have i come close to beating it (poor crawler placement let me down otherwise i would have got the pylon, no reinforcements and i had ov drop ready). Other than being slightly lucky what is the formula? Should i cut lings and focus on roach/hydra? Should i stick to 1 base?

FoxSpirit

darkpaladinmfc said:
Not at all. At the beginning of the beta it was, but now its a Speedling/Bling into Muta/Corrupter.

Really, Muta/Corrupter? How does that work out against Hydras?? Mass Fungal with Mutas taking off the remaining HP?

thefil

Either I'm getting better or the bronze division has got much worse. I went carriers and won, and then in another game my MMM failed so I just decided to switch to battlecruisers on a whim and won with that too.

Top Bottom