• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
F#A#Oo said:
Infestor? :lol

HP; Decreased
Fungal Growth damage; Decreased
Neural Parasite was made an upgrade and energy cost increased.

IIRC, they move faster underground now, Infested Terrans can now be spawned while burrowed, fungal growth is now an instant cast and so units can't dodge it, and Neural Parasite got a range increase.

Banelings do less damage to light then they use to...which goes back to what I said they buff and nerf...and if you cancel them you re-coup less.

Didn't banelings get the same splash damage change as everybody else? The whole center vs front of thing.

Overseer is the unit that Blizzard has used to give throw away casting spells because they have noi idea what purpose they have other then giving vision...:lol

Contaminate is NOT a throw away ability.

F#A#Oo

Banned
ZealousD said:
IIRC, they move faster underground now, Infested Terrans can now be spawned while burrowed, fungal growth is now an instant cast and so units can't dodge it, and Neural Parasite got a range increase.

Range was originally 9...nerfed to 7...moved back to 9.:D

No their burrowed move speed was decreased from 1.5 to 1.

Also I really can't think of a situation where I would ever think "Hmmm Infested Terran would be ideal in this situation"...

ZealousD said:
Didn't banelings get the same splash damage change as everybody else? The whole center vs front of thing.

Nope.

ZealousD said:
Contaminate is NOT a throw away ability.

It is...but I would love for you to explain why it isn't a throwaway ability...maybe I have missed something.

So I am having a very strange problem with my ATI Radeon 5870 and Starcraft 2 as well as Left 4 Dead 2. The game will all of a sudden freeze, except for my mouse cursor, for about 10 seconds. Then my monitor will go black and then blink back on after a few seconds and reconnect. And sometimes it restarts this. I just recently replaced my video card, so I'm not exactly sure what could be causing this. Any thoughts?

ZealousD

F#A#Oo said:
It is...but I would love for you to explain why it isn't a throwaway ability...maybe I have missed something.

Adding an extra 30 seconds onto an essential upgrade or unit seems like a pretty big deal to me.

Granted, it's not the kind of ability that will see a lot of use below the diamond level, but for those at the higher levels who can spend the APM on it, I could definitely see it being used more often. Delaying a timing push by 30 seconds might be all you need to survive.

scoobs

welp... bailing out on zerg. Protoss 4-gate is just so powerful there's really no reason to keep playing zerg for me. I just couldn't beat terran as zerg and with all the countless nerfs to pretty much every zerg unit, I'll just make the switch now and practice protoss.

F#A#Oo said:
Also I really can't think of a situation where I would ever think "Hmmm Infested Terran would be ideal in this situation"...

Vs Terran = Siege Tanks when burrowed (Like a Baneling cannon!)
Vs another Zerg's = Banelings (Again, Baneling Cannon!)
Vs Protoss = Useless

F#A#Oo said:

You can delay anything for 30 seconds from Void Rays to SCV's and even a Terran expo landing (they cannot land or move when contaminated).

fanboi

Banned
ChronicleX said:
Vs Terran = Siege Tanks when burrowed (Like a Baneling cannon!)
Vs another Zerg's = Banelings (Again, Baneling Cannon!)
Vs Protoss = Useless

If one actually wins vs a terran mech army with burrowed infestors using infested terrans...

I will never play this game again.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
TheKingsCrown said:
So I am having a very strange problem with my ATI Radeon 5870 and Starcraft 2 as well as Left 4 Dead 2. The game will all of a sudden freeze, except for my mouse cursor, for about 10 seconds. Then my monitor will go black and then blink back on after a few seconds and reconnect. And sometimes it restarts this. I just recently replaced my video card, so I'm not exactly sure what could be causing this. Any thoughts?
Your display drivers crashed. I had this same issue and it only got worse and worse. Are you overclocking? I solved the issue by uninstalling the ATI HDMI Audio driver, at least that's how I think I solved it. :)

fanboi said:

If one actually wins vs a terran mech army with burrowed infestors using infested terrans...

I will never play this game again.

Yeah scan counters it but thats because terran has gay ass GOOJF Card style instant stealth protection and its lame. Thats not a fault with Infested Terrans, its a fault with terran OC's being too good.

Lathentar said:
Your display drivers crashed. I had this same issue and it only got worse and worse. Are you overclocking? I solved the issue by uninstalling the ATI HDMI Audio driver, at least that's how I think I solved it. :)
Correction, I have a 5770 not a 5870. Why would a graphics card have an audio driver associated with it?

What happened with yours?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
TheKingsCrown said:
Correction, I have a 5770 not a 5870. Why would a graphics card have an audio driver associated with it?

What happened with yours?
I had the exact same crash. It would freeze up, go black screen for a couple seconds then come back. It started with the first SC2 beta. The card wasn't overheating and it slowly got worse and worse. It started happening when playing flash videos in Firefox with Hardware acceleration and even would crash the drivers when just tweaking 3D effects in Catalyst.

Here is the audio driver: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/pages/hdmi_xp.aspx?&lang=English
That automatically installed with a catalyst install, I had to go custom and turn it off.

EDIT: I spent all weekend trying to fix this as SC2 would crash completely before even getting into a game.

it seems some of the non number stuff has not been reverted according to the notes. This should mean IT's should still be useable while burrowed.

YAY! Zealots :lol

-COOLIO- said:
is there anyone who doesnt think their main race is underpowered?

I consider Protoss to be unfinished and too Gateway focused, too weak in 1 area and too strong in another. Only thing I "want" changed is Nexus giving off a power field to allow for more build styles as a Protoss (there is a pylon on the nexus roof damn it!).

Lathentar said:
I had the exact same crash. It would freeze up, go black screen for a couple seconds then come back. It started with the first SC2 beta. The card wasn't overheating and it slowly got worse and worse. It started happening when playing flash videos in Firefox with Hardware acceleration and even would crash the drivers when just tweaking 3D effects in Catalyst.

Here is the audio driver: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/pages/hdmi_xp.aspx?&lang=English
That automatically installed with a catalyst install, I had to go custom and turn it off.

EDIT: I spent all weekend trying to fix this as SC2 would crash completely before even getting into a game.

That's odd, it doesn't crash for me until I've been in the game for about 20 minutes.

Thanks for all your help btw. I'll take a look at this. I owe you one!

F#A#Oo

Banned
Anyone know how the match making works?

I'm constantly being matched up with people who are favoured (which is good for climbing up) but if one is top 10 in their respective division for example in bronze or silver will they be playing players from a division above?

F#A#Oo said:
Anyone know how the match making works?

I'm constantly being matched up with people who are favoured (which is good for climbing up) but if one is top 10 in their respective division for example in bronze or silver will they be playing players from a division above?
I don't know how it works but I have been winning every third to every other game, which is awesome. It's the best matchmaking system I've ever played.

ZealousD

By the way, I am still looking for somebody from EU or AUS that wouldn't mind hosting the EU/AUS online thread. I've already got a banner, all you need to do keep track of the IDs.

LowParry

zoukka said:
If someone thinks their Terrans are underpowered, I'll send a virtual kick to their nuts.

No ground unit stands against them damn tanks. But then you have those void reavers.

On the zerg, what's a good number of lairs to have?

Xamdou

CcrooK said:
No ground unit stands against them damn tanks. But then you have those void reavers.

Using queens to spawn extra eggs on each hive helps a lot.

Then protoss has chrono boost, which I use primarily. On 4v4 games I have only 1 stargate and 1 gateway constantly pumping units with chrono boost the entire game ;O

LowParry

Xamdou said:
Using queens to spawn extra eggs on each hive helps a lot.

Then protoss has chrono boost, which I use primarily. On 4v4 games I have only 1 stargate and 1 gateway constantly pumping units with chrono boost the entire game ;O

Hrm. So say having your expansion with say three lairs along with a queen would get numbers out quick. Alright. Damn. I've been doing Zerg wrong. Adjustment time!

CcrooK said:
No ground unit stands against them damn tanks.

Immortals. They are pretty much purposely designed to go up against tanks. Also, zealots with charge mixed in there can help immensely as they close the distance incredibly fast, allowing immortals (hopefully with guardian shield) to get in there and wreck the tanks.

ZealousD

CcrooK said:
Hrm. So say having your expansion with say three lairs along with a queen would get numbers out quick. Alright. Damn. I've been doing Zerg wrong. Adjustment time!

A queen? It's best to have one queen per hatchery when you can.

LowParry

ZealousD said:
A queen? It's best to have one queen per hatchery when you can.

Even if you have say a triangle form of lairs? You'd keep the queen in the middle to tend all three. Another of course on your main lair.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
ChronicleX said:
it seems some of the non number stuff has not been reverted according to the notes. This should mean IT's should still be useable while burrowed.

YAY! Zealots :lol

I consider Protoss to be unfinished and too Gateway focused, too weak in 1 area and too strong in another. Only thing I "want" changed is Nexus giving off a power field to allow for more build styles as a Protoss (there is a pylon on the nexus roof damn it!).

fuck yeah

zoukka

Void reavers :b Void Rays get owned by a tiny ball of stimmed marines.

Expansions? It always depends. When you have the clear excess of minerals, just throw a hatchery somewhere, you think is safe.

CcrooK said:
Even if you have say a triangle form of lairs? You'd keep the queen in the middle to tend all three. Another of course on your main lair.

You shouldn't have extra hatcheries in your base.

Well maybe in some crazy 4v4 macrofest, but usually when you want to make a new hatchery, just use it as an expo. By placing your army in between the bases, you can defend them if they are getting sniped.

And lately I've been getting a minimum of two queens per base. They really are dirt cheap considering how flexible they are.

ZealousD

CcrooK said:

Okay, first off. You don't build hatcheries in triangles. When you build a hatchery, you should be building an expansion. There's no way you're going to maintain 3 hatcheries off of a single base.

Second off, a Queen is basically the equivalent of a second hatchery. But she only costs 150 minerals, instead of 350.

So 2 Queens with 2 hatcheries on two bases is going to do you so much better than 3 hatcheries with a single queen on a single base.

ZealousD said:
Okay, first off. You don't build hatcheries in triangles. When you build a hatchery, you should be building an expansion. There's no way you're going to maintain 3 hatcheries off of a single base.

Second off, a Queen is basically the equivalent of a second hatchery. But she only costs 150 minerals, instead of 350.

So 2 Queens with 2 hatcheries on two bases is going to do you so much better than 3 hatcheries with a single queen on a single base.
Yup and this isn't even considering the fact that you can probably not keep up production constantly on three hatcheries with only one mining base. It's like building 10 Gateways on one base and trying to build units constantly.

Kinyou

zoukka said:
If someone thinks their Terrans are underpowered, I'll send a virtual kick to their nuts.

Those goddamn void-rays. If you don't scout them right away or have some marines left in your army you can pretty much gg.

Won

Akim said:
Does anyone know if the Collector's Edition is actually limited?

They won't reprint it, but there will be plenty available months after launch, if the WoW expansions are anything to go by.

Raiden

Banned
Won said:
They won't reprint it, but there will be plenty available months after launch, if the WoW expansions are anything to go by.

I remember original WoW CE's going for over 400 dollar though.

Effect

TheKingsCrown said:

I have an ATI X1950 GT and it has started doing this as well. The computer isn't overheating either. However what will happen is what you described above. The display driver would pretty much crash and then recover itself. I might have had this happen once or twice before if I had do many things open when trying to run again but since the beta started back up it's happen a LOT. The only thing that fixes it with other games is a cold boot and not touching anything SC2 related. WoW still runs fine as does Civ 4, Dawn of War 2, and a few others so I don't think it's my card.

Messing around with SC2 settings and defaulting everything to low seems to have helped some but I didn't have to do this before the break.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
CcrooK said:

If you inject on cooldown (as soon as you regen 25 energy/eggs pop), as you should be doing, one queen can only sustain 1 hatchery. This means you need keep queens and hatcheries in 1:1. High level players sometimes build an extra queen to help spread creep faster, defend ramps, emergency healing, and possibly helping anti-air in the event of banshee/void ray cheese.

Don't build multiple hatcheries in one base, just expand.

EDIT: So I was just playing against a toss on Kulas, he goes for 4 gate, I scout it, he ops to use it to try and expand rather than attack. I run some lings in to see what hes doing, scout he's pushing for colossus, I come in with mutas and he just leaves :lol

V_Arnold

Kinyou said:
Those goddamn void-rays. If you don't scout them right away or have some marines left in your army you can pretty much gg.

Well, if you ignorantly choose to just continue spamming marauders, yeah, gg then.

zoukka

V_Arnold said:
Well, if you ignorantly choose to just continue spamming marauders, yeah, gg then.

A single rax with reactor is great against protoss. Wards off Void Rays early game and deals with stalkers fairly well.

Apath

I am finally able to actually play an entire game without extreme lag thanks to my new PC :D Been rocking Terran and wrecking shit up with a 2-1 record. I'm pretty God-awful, but I'm still learning hot keys, build orders, and general micro play so it isn't too bad. My main strategy is Thors and Marines. Just make one barracks with a reactor and pump them out while walled in until the first Thor comes out. Then pending on enemy army composition I either throw down another barracks and reactor for more Marine spam, throw down a tech lab for some Marauder reinforcements, or put in a Starport for some Thorship drops on their base.

Sucks that I have work all day. Otherwise I'd be on SC2 for hours.

ZealousD

zoukka said:
A single rax with reactor is great against protoss. Wards off Void Rays early game and deals with stalkers fairly well.

But gets creamed by zealots and sentries.

Top Bottom