• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

FoxSpirit

Akim said:
Does anyone know if the Collector's Edition is actually limited?

Yes it is, a lot of places have already closed the preorders. Then maybe a few odd ones from people who cancel and some places hardly anybody visits.

zoukka

ZealousD said:
But gets creamed by zealots and sentries.

No shit. It still is relatively cheap and safe way to prepare for Void Rays that everyone seems to be getting for harassing purposes. Why not for phoenixes too.

Lately I've been doing so much better against the 4gate. It seems that you have just barely enough time to get your expo up and then you have to be really fast to make enough hydras to repel the push. Oh and btw hydras destroy the gateway units. If they start to mass zealots in response, you just add a row of roaches to your hydra ball and you're set.

Scouting the first colossi is critical though. You need either more roaches or infestors to counter them. I've tried corrupters too, but they aren't fast enough to minimize the damage colossi are able to do against hydras. And usually the protoss has so many stalkers that the corrupters get shot down instantly.

Fungal is also not that great against the protoss due to the shields :(

scoobs

playing zerg again and finding some success. I'll tell you whats really hard.. getting 4 hours of sleep and trying to play this game. I have the absolute worst APM right now lol I'm so tired and sloppy I lose every game due to stupidity.

colinp

Banned
I just got an e-mail inviting me to the final weekend test, unfortunately when I try to download it says "File not found" for both win and mac. Woops!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
colinp said:
I just got an e-mail inviting me to the final weekend test, unfortunately when I try to download it says "File not found" for both win and mac. Woops!
uh, that might be spam. careful.

colinp

Banned
Rez said:
uh, that might be spam. careful.

Well, I signed into battle.net via typing in battle.net into my browser. Unless the spam website somehow managed to copy all the games that I already have tied to my battle.net account I don't think it's spam.

Do you guys think its worth it to upgrade to an 8800gt from a 7900gt for this game? I'm worried I'll be heavily bottlenecked from my shitty 3500+ AMD CPU and 2 gigs of ram. Its just a temp solution but if it gets me medium settings I will do it. Hopefully I'll be buying a new pc in 6 months.

Lion Heart said:
Do you guys think its worth it to upgrade to an 8800gt from a 7900gt for this game? I'm worried I'll be heavily bottlenecked from my shitty 3500+ AMD CPU and 2 gigs of ram. Its just a temp solution but if it gets me medium settings I will do it. Hopefully I'll be buying a new pc in 6 months.

is the 3500+ a dual core? Dual cores are probably a good way to go in recent games. Although, 3.5 ghz equivalent would probably be fast enough, and an 8800 gt is not a bad card so I'd say go for it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lion Heart said:

Depends on how much the 8800GT card is. You can get a new 1 gig 4850 brand new on Newegg for 100 bucks so that 8800GT better be on the cheap low.

Vaporak

Lion Heart said:

It'll probably play fine on lower settings/resolution, won't know of course till you try it out. I personally think it'd be a waste to get a new video card if you're just going to be upgrading again 6 months later.

Vaporak said:
It'll probably play fine on lower settings/resolution, won't know of course till you try it out. I personally think it'd be a waste to get a new video card if you're just going to be upgrading again 6 months later.

Man, I haven't played in such a long time. I won, but felt like I could've won more elegantly. You guys ever feel that way?

Chris R

Lion Heart said:
No. The 8800GT is almost 3 years old now. Either pick a newer card to upgrade to (like that snazzy GTX 460) that you can easily live with for the next year plus or don't upgrade at all until you upgrade your entire PC.

Vaporak

watervengeance said:
Man, I haven't played in such a long time. I won, but felt like I could've won more elegantly. You guys ever feel that way?

I almost always feel like I could play more elegantly. :lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Lion Heart said:
8800GT? Naw man. Unless you can get it super cheap, just get a 460 GTX for about 200 dollars or wait for the new round of cards in future.
About to dump my 8800 for one.

LowParry

I think I've got the hang of Zerg. 2v2's is rough but getting better at it. Expanding early quick at the yellow mineral area's seems to help pump out the units I need quick. Those Voids though.

watervengeance said:
Feels so good to intercept a fully loaded Dropship and destroy their army that way. I even got an achievement for it. :lol

Funny, just played a TvT on desert oasis where the opponent loaded his entire army, including two thors, onto 6 dropships. 6. I intercepted each one before he could unload a single unit - with three well placed turrets and a handful of marines. The dude left the game after that.

If you break it down, i probably used 600 mineral worth of units/structures to counter an army that was probably worth well over 2000 in minerals and maybe 1500 in gas. scans showed he had a lot of marauders he must have loaded onto those ships, plus the thors and medivacs were 1000 gas alone.

FINALLY. Just got an email with my beta key!

Edit: I swear to god they are just trying to convince me to buy the game. :lol :lol

How is this going to run on my x1600 macbook pro with 2.33 core2? Running windows 7.

Teknoman

Metalic Sand said:
Weird i just got a beta key today.... I though the beta ended awhile back.

Same here, thought it was just junk spam, decided to check it...and it was an actual code.

Entered it at battle.net and that was that.

Cels

It's weird that some people are getting beta keys now (including couple GAFers posting above) when the beta ends on the 19th!

Won

Cels said:
It's weird that some people are getting beta keys now (including couple GAFers posting above) when the beta ends on the 19th!

Stress test weekend.

Blizzard also likes to troll their customers.

If anyone needs a beta key, just be the first to quote me and I'll PM you the code. I got a code, but I know my computer can't handle the game.
Edit: Taken and sent

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Easystride said:
If anyone needs a beta key, just be the first to quote me and I'll PM you the code. I got a code, but I know my computer can't handle the game.

edit: Thanks alot man!

RedSwirl

So we know the final system requirements and I'm trying to get a new laptop soon. This won't be a gaming laptop - primarily work, but I still want it to run a couple games like this and Team Fortress comfortably.

People suggested a while ago that I should get something with either a GTX 260M or a Mobility Radeon 5870. How do you guys think those will do for StarCraft II?

fatty

So I'm starting to watch the Day[9] Dailies and I haven't had the chance to watch too many of them, but was checking out "White-ra Part 3: PvZ Getting Creative with 2 Gate Opening" and noticed a lot of little things that he was mentioning that I had no idea about. Things like being able to rally a Gateway to a unit. And in my play I was also building my Gateway wall at the top of my ramp which now seems to be looked down upon if you can instead do it at the larger choke of your expansion if it is possible (I've always been worried about zerglings breaking through to get to my minerals).

What I'm trying to get at is, since there are so many Day[9] Dailies to choose from, could you guys recommend the best ones to start from that you've found most helpful, in particular Protoss because that is my main race but really all of the races since I like to play them all?

I struggle with basic things like when I select a group of Zealots and hit 'A' and select a unit (in a group of units) to attack, I'd expect all of my zealots to just start attacking everything along the way but what I find is that they just run around the whole group trying to get to the guy I clicked on and in the process get shredded. So now I just try to click on an individual area (and not unit) and go that way but I know there has to be a better way of doing it.

So trying to find Dailies to start with that would help me with basic things that many here might take for granted would be very helpful and much appreciated. Of course preference is Protoss but I'd like to know these things for the other races as well. Thanks!!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
RedSwirl said:
So we know the final system requirements and I'm trying to get a new laptop soon. This won't be a gaming laptop - primarily work, but I still want it to run a couple games like this and Team Fortress comfortably.

People suggested a while ago that I should get something with either a GTX 260M or a Mobility Radeon 5870. How do you guys think those will do for StarCraft II?
CPU should be much more important for both games. A 260 or Ati equal should be fine.

4) Prospective laptop buyers please fill this out and ask their forum as well.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/wha...ould-i-buy-form-must-read-before-posting.html

Ice Monkey said:
is the 3500+ a dual core? Dual cores are probably a good way to go in recent games. Although, 3.5 ghz equivalent would probably be fast enough, and an 8800 gt is not a bad card so I'd say go for it.

rhfb said:
No. The 8800GT is almost 3 years old now. Either pick a newer card to upgrade to (like that snazzy GTX 460) that you can easily live with for the next year plus or don't upgrade at all until you upgrade your entire PC.

Thanks for the help guys. The reason I suggested 8800gt is because my 3500+ (single core) would bottleneck higher end cars so I would see diminishing returns, I just wanted the cheapest card that gets me the best performance.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
TheHeretic said:
So is Zerg significantly harder to play than other races? Seems a lot if people in the beta think so.
Without being able to wall off like the other races you have to be more situationally aware of what your opponent is up to.

F#A#Oo

Banned
TheHeretic said:
So is Zerg significantly harder to play than other races? Seems a lot if people in the beta think so.

It is definately the case...Zerg has been butchers by Blizzard...and of the 3 at this minute it is the race that has been left behind.

Terran is by far the strongest race...and mech is ridiculously over-powered.

ZvP is alright match up...Zerg just need to defend the 2/4 gate early pushes at the minute.

For sure Zerg has this feeling of being weak and there is this sense of feeling limited like it is missing one or two units...and overall Blizzard have not done much to try and improve Zerg infact they always seem to go backwards with changes...

I stand by what I have said in the past...Blizzard has not improved a single Zerg unit to date, not even 1 unit...the other 2 races have had their balance changes and I do feel they have been good changes overall but they have really dropped the ball with zerg.

I think people are far too harsh on Zerg balance here. They are a really strong race, they just require "the fancy stuff" as we call it. Basically things feel more streamlined as a zerg player when it comes to build, but you're going to want to concentrate on all that fancy gear to make you a powerful player. Burrow, burrow-move, Fungal growth, contaminate, and more.

The sooner you start playing Zerg as an ever-expanding parasite and attacking like a true swarm, the sooner you start winning :)

zoukka

Zerg is the hardest race to master for sure. You need to macro more efficiently, make a bit more units than your opponents and the pressure is usually on the zergs homeground. Even the zerg caster is the most hazardous of them all. Fungal growth is not a viable spell in direct encounters and the neural parasite requires good micro to work. Ghosts, Ravens and Templars can just roll with your ball-of-whatever and launch EMP, Storm and PDD at the enemy lines.

Things like wall-in, insta detection-spell, tanks and thors make Terran probably the easiest race to start off.

Broodlords are the only moment I feel that as a Zerg, I have something really powerful and safe on my hands. With any ground composition you still need to have several hot-groups, routes and vision for to be able to advance. The terran and protoss balls are free to advance on zerg grounds with the support of colossi and tanks/thors. It then depends how well the zerg can burrow/pincer and spread his units to counter the push.

A zerg ball < any other ball without intense micro.

But I still don't think zerg is underpowered. It's just a race that requires most babysitting on the players part.

F#A#Oo

Banned
JasoNsider said:
I think people are far too harsh on Zerg balance here. They are a really strong race, they just require "the fancy stuff" as we call it. Basically things feel more streamlined as a zerg player when it comes to build, but you're going to want to concentrate on all that fancy gear to make you a powerful player. Burrow, burrow-move, Fungal growth, contaminate, and more.

The sooner you start playing Zerg as an ever-expanding parasite and attacking like a true swarm, the sooner you start winning :)

I can think of 2 Zerg players who recently followed everything you said and still lost e.g. Dimaga and Sheth...they out expo'd their opponents AND they attacked like a swarm...and though it might look like they have the edge throughout and are in comfortable controlling positions...quality units have shown themselves to be better then mass numbers in the end and what looks like a comfortable win turns into a depressingly awkward and sometimes embarrassing loss...even IdrA has lost plenty of matches in this manner most notably to WhiteRa...

speaking of zerg...

here is some Idra rage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyUdeIh9ic8 :lol

I tried playing zerg again when phase 2 started back up but I just can't get the hang of them. I was hoping to make them my main, but I just have a lot more success with Terran.

Maybe I will give them another go, they are just so fun and I like the idea of them...probably just requires a lot more practice.

Top Bottom