• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

clav

KnightM7 said:
To make the wait a little more bearable for non beta testers.. it seems the beta is close to being cracked to play single player against the AI. I dunno how close but Id guess a few more days.
Multiplayer made Starcraft outlast its generation, so although single player is interesting, cracking this only activates bots, which makes it pretty trivial.

The beauty of Starcraft is the manly combat of human-controlled players.

TheExodu5

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
Battle Reports are amazing. The commentary are very interesting and make this video worthwatching for me (a complete new comer in the Starcraft universe... the design got me...) but are they real ? Or are they stage and/or scripted ? Like wrestling match, you know...

Doubt they're scripted. Probably just a good handpicked game. The commentary is likely added in while watching the replay. They play out like any other professional Starcraft match so I would have no reason to believe they're scripted.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
soo ;

whats the cheapest ( general ) pc-build in order to play sc2 @ 1080p , 60ps high settings and reasonable AA/AF?

hey hey can someone do me a favor and look through that replay pack and pick me out some good ones to record?

I've got a KHB one that I'm uploading to youtube now thats 700MB 10000kbps 10 minute 1080p, and Im converting a 14minute one of david kim versus some guy who doesnt even know he's david kim.

I'm probably gonna do the one where khb beats david kim next then I'll take some requests

claviertekky said:
Multiplayer made Starcraft outlast its generation, so although single player is interesting, cracking this only activates bots, which makes it pretty trivial.

not only that but I doubt they're gonna get anything but very easy bots, which are laughably bad in the beta.

It would seem to make sense that blizzard didnt include any challenging AI in the beta simply to keep people from cracking the AI

Ice Monkey said:
hey hey can someone do me a favor and look through that replay pack and pick me out some good ones to record?

I've got a KHB one that I'm uploading to youtube now thats 700MB 10000kbps 10 minute 1080p, and Im converting a 14minute one of david kim versus some guy who doesnt even know he's david kim.

I'm probably gonna do the one where khb beats david kim next then I'll take some requests
I love you

a lot

TheExodu5

Banned
Corky said:
soo ;

whats the cheapest ( general ) pc-build in order to play sc2 @ 1080p , 60ps high settings and reasonable AA/AF?

Top of the line PC. While the game will run over 60fps most of the time, it will still drop in strenuous circumstances. That's speaking with no AA...haven't see how forcing AA affects performance yet.

If Starcraft 2 is the only game you're going to play, then I'd suggest a high performance dual-core CPU. If you plan on playing other games, then you'll want to get a quad-core and cooling and overclock it.

As I've shown earlier in the thread, the CPU appears to be the bottleneck at higher settings...not sure why (could be a bug so don't go building a rig just yet). Because my 3.0GHz quad-core is a bottleneck, and I can only run at 1680*1050, I can't tell how much GPU power you actually need to maintain 60fps in the game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TheExodu5 said:
Top of the line PC. While the game will run over 60fps most of the time, it will still drop in strenuous circumstances. That's speaking with no AA...haven't see how forcing AA affects performance yet.

If Starcraft 2 is the only game you're going to play, then I'd suggest a high performance dual-core CPU. If you plan on playing other games, then you'll want to get a quad-core and cooling and overclock it.

As I've shown earlier in the thread, the CPU appears to be the bottleneck at higher settings...not sure why (could be a bug so don't go building a rig just yet). Because my 3.0GHz quad-core is a bottleneck, and I can only run at 1680*1050, I can't tell how much GPU power you actually need to maintain 60fps in the game.

hmm not what I wanted to hear I guess :(

maybe I worded myself wrong, what I meant with 60fps is actually seen from a consolites eyes, that is if a game fluctuates between 40fps and 50 I personally call that 60 for some stupid reason, but what I really meant was a consistent fps and 1080p is overkill I can clearly settle for 1680*1050

Had no idea the game was such a systemhog

Had

Ice Monkey said:
im gonna record the dayvie loss match, but I don't know who to watch LOL

Maybe I'll pan around but I know I'm gonna miss things.

Provide commentary and make notes of terrible terrible damage

claviertekky said:

Oh well, I just want to play it so I'm grateful for this news.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ice Monkey said:

Im trying to see what I get too with FRAPS. High Settings with 1680x1050 resolution fucks with your recording speed :lol Ranged from 20-30FPS with drops lower from time to time.

clav

Corran Horn said:
Im trying to see what I get too with FRAPS. High Settings with 1680x1050 resolution fucks with your recording speed :lol Ranged from 20-30FPS with drops lower from time to time.
I bet a lot of you guys trying to record at a high resolution at that fps haven't ever tried editing HD video.

Processing HD video takes a long ass time, too especially doing conversions.

Just be grateful you can record. Your computer sucks if it's struggling to record at that resolution.

Corran Horn

Im not really doing any editing to the file besides compressing it. Just testing out stuff to see the ideal situations for my computer

clav

Corran Horn said:
Im not really doing any editing to the file besides compressing it. Just testing out stuff to see the ideal situations for my computer
My point was to record something in real-time like that requires a lot of processing power to produce frames.

tl;dr (or don't understand) Your computer sucks.

Anyone up for US West SC1 GAF noob matchup?

alright, successfully recorded the dayvie loss video with fraps, virtualdubbing and encoding to 10mbps 1080p h264 for youtube. only 30fps though because thats all my comp can handle atm.

it's an 11min video at faster, and I think I did a good job with the panning. When it's up lemme know what you guys think it's gonna take a while to upload because I already have 2GB of vids uploading and now this ones gonna have another 500mb at least. No commentary though even though I know I could do an alright job, I think i'd just bust out laughing if I tried to successfully say terrible terrible damage loudly about 5-10 times during the match. :)

Gattsu25 said:
Are there any "must see" videos for an old-time Zerg player?

i'm uploading one right now where david kim plays some really good muta harass, ling micro and finishes with banelings. Basically shows how much zerg dominates infantry now, although the guy he plays against only builds his nat after dayvie has like 4 exps.

It's basically really good zerg vs pretty bad turtling. Better than I can do though.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
i'm uploading one right now where david kim plays some really good muta harass, ling micro and finishes with banelings. Basically shows how much zerg dominates infantry now, although the guy he plays against only builds his nat after dayvie has like 4 exps.

It's basically really good zerg vs pretty bad turtling. Better than I can do though.
Awesome! Subscribing to your channel now :D

clav

Ice Monkey said:

Sounds like David was just messing around the whole time. He was totally in control of the direction of the match which it was already game over if the Zerg has that many expansions.

aznpxdd

Ice Monkey said:

Yeah TvZ is definitely different now with the removal of medics. Medivacs while still good, are expensive and tier 2.

Ashhong

claviertekky said:

who gives a fuck. i just want to play

clav

drkOne said:
:|
And why should he care?
He's asking help for the impossible.

He wants to record better fraps video when his computer is struggling to do so.

Ashhong said:
who gives a fuck. i just want to play

I'm fine with Starcraft with bots. Just happens that most people who just care about computer AI are the ones who cheated through campaign/skirmish and played it with the attitude lolololol massive army of bcs/carriers.

Corran Horn

claviertekky said:

I just want to find my ideal setting to record at constant 30fps, its basically there with a flew blips from time to time. FPS without recording is at 60fps unless high volume of action. Jeez and my computer doesnt suck. Video card is tad old now being 8800 but rest is all updated

claviertekky said:
Sounds like David was just messing around the whole time. He was totally in control of the direction of the match which it was already game over if the Zerg has that many expansions.

well i guess I wasnt clear, at a time when the terran player still hasnt gotten his nat, dayvie had his nat fully running and two more exps building. The terran player is completely contained in his turtle and dayvie basically shows how much he really is the king of micro. He completely contains with like 5 mutas and a handful of lings. The first part is already uploaded but the juicy bits are in the second part which isnt finished yet. Of course, youtube's HD versions take a few hours extra so right now its pretty bad standard youtube video but you can see whats going on.

clav

Corran Horn said:
I just want to find my ideal setting to record at constant 30fps, its basically there with a flew blips from time to time. FPS without recording is at 60fps unless high volume of action. Jeez and my computer doesnt suck. Video card is tad old now being 8800 but rest is all updated
What are your specs? I'm helping you. It did help you become more aware what's going on instead of just bitching.

Ice Monkey said:
well i guess I wasnt clear, at a time when the terran player still hasnt gotten his nat, dayvie had his nat fully running and two more exps building. The terran player is completely contained in his turtle and dayvie basically shows how much he really is the king of micro. He completely contains with like 5 mutas and a handful of lings. The first part is already uploaded but the juicy bits are in the second part which isnt finished yet. Of course, youtube's HD versions take a few hours extra so right now its pretty bad standard youtube video but you can see whats going on.

All right before I comment more, I'll see the video myself.

Did david do a 12 hatch? Let me find the video.

Anksta

Could we update the OP to include the various streams that are available? Or alternatively create a new thread for SC2 streaming goodness?

Not having the game :( but being able to watch it being played is great!

Door2Dawn

Banned
claviertekky said:

I'm fine with Starcraft with bots. Just happens that most people who just care about computer AI are the ones who cheated through campaign/skirmish and played it with the attitude lolololol massive army of bcs/carriers.
And whats wrong with that? If its how people want to play, then let them play it that way. Whats it matter to you?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
claviertekky said:
and? whats wrong with that?

Draft

aznpxdd said:
What do we need to play the replays? When I try to start the replays it tells me I'm missing local files or something?
The beta doesn't come with any maps. They are downloaded when you play games (or create them.) Really bizarre, but whatever. Just go make a custom game with whatever map the replay is on, then the replay should start up normally.

clav

Door2Dawn said:
And whats wrong with that? If its how people want to play, then let them play it that way. Whats it matter to you?
I just feel these people are too afraid to lose against other people. They have too much pride that they can't stand losing.

I suck at this game, but I'm not afraid to admit it and get beaten online most of the time.

I don't mean to offend anyone. Those are my thoughts, and I used to be one of those people who hated to play online, too.

Just finished watching part 1 of that david video. Sure, David has micro control, but the terran player isn't very good.

Zzoram

claviertekky said:
I just feel these people are too afraid to lose against other people. They have too much pride that they can't stand losing.

I suck at this game, but I'm not afraid to admit it and get beaten online most of the time.

Just finished watching part 1 of that david video. Sure, David has mciro control, but the terran player isn't very good.

David Kim's micro is not that impressive, if the Battle Reports are anything to judge him by.

clav

Yeah it seems in the battle reports he plays the rock-papers-scissors way.

He just knows what units to counter what and has enough which is an excellent strategy.

The terran dude in that youtube video bottles up, but doesn't tech.

You're supposed to be teching.

=========

Upon further thinking, I wonder why the player doesn't just attack the expansion first. What were those new units he was trying to use?

Zzoram said:
David Kim's micro is not that impressive, if the Battle Reports are anything to judge him by.
Yea, I mean he's better than me. But in one of the Battle Reports he had Tanks on a cliff that just targeted buildings rather than workers.

celebi23

So, I did some more digging into the installer's files & I found the logo from the login screen

SC2_WOL_Beta_Login_Logo.png

And a smaller StarCraft II: Wings Of Liberty logo
SC2_WOL_Logo.png

And another one without the subtitle
image79.png

If anyone wants to use one of these, that's fine. I just ask that you please rehost the image :D Scrow, the first logo might look great in the OP :D

Top Bottom