• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

LowParry

zoukka said:
Yah but the defeat is unbearable with the opponent dancing on your grave rite :b

I wonder if all races have dancing units... GET TO IT!

IF Zealots do moonwalks, I'll be forgiving...

commissar

OK 'played' a quick game with zerg v cpu. No one dances. Tried /spit on a few and nothing happened either.

Gonna check on protoss now.

edit: Nothing for protoss either at the moment. Might be something one day, as it is a beta :)

syoaran

TurtleSnatcher said:
Theres like 10-20 gaffers I think..

I have one. Ive only played a little though. Havent had much time in the past few days due to work.

If its so few of us, might be worth updating the front page with our names; get some 2v2's sorted or something similar?

zoukka

what the hell I listened to the main theme and it's Conan the Barbarian goes outer space :lol

twas great.

EDIT: I mean the old version obviously...

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Since I can no longer contain my starcraft fanboyism I've picked up starcraft+broodwar, however there's some wierd coloration issues. Doesn't anyone know a fix to this? I'm running Windows 7.

Raelson

oxrock said:
Since I can no longer contain my starcraft fanboyism I've picked up starcraft+broodwar, however there's some wierd coloration issues. Doesn't anyone know a fix to this? I'm running Windows 7.
Open the screen resolution window every time you play.
Weird fix but it works.

The game will probably freeze at random when you play too.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Raelson said:
Weird fix but it works.

Screen resolution window?

Kinyou

How likely is it to get into the Beta?

Are Blizzard Betas almost open to everyone or do you have to be really, really lucky to get in?

LowParry

oxrock said:

I've had that happen at times. I just restart the game then it works fine. Or after two attempts.

Kinyou said:
How likely is it to get into the Beta?

Are Blizzard Betas almost open to everyone or do you have to be really, really lucky to get in?
You have to be really lucky. They're not going to let everyone in, they said it in their quote about the MAC beta. The game is supposed to ship by July 2010, so the beta will be a few months unless they find major problems.

Kinyou

TheKingsCrown said:
You have to be really lucky. They're not going to let everyone in, they said it in their quote about the MAC beta. The game is supposed to ship by July 2010, so the beta will be a few months unless they find major problems.

Ah thanks.

I had not idea they were heading for a release this July, always thought it was going to be the end of this year. Well then it's not that bad to miss beta anyway.

coopolon

Raelson said:
Weird fix but it works.

My experience on Windows 7 64 bit: downloading from Battle.net the installer, the intro movie had weird colors, nothing else did so I didn't worry about it.

When I connected to Battle.net it downloaded a patch not included when you download the game from Battle.net, and that completely broke the colors. The resolution window trick did not work for me. What I had to was close explorer (alt+cntrl+delete...end process explorer.exe). This also means you can't get to anything, so I would put the Starcraft CD in so it autolaunched and brought up the window that had the option to Play starcraft, then I shut down explorer, and played STarcraft. After I was done I would log out and log back in to get explorer up and running again.

After playing a few LAN games last weekend, I uninstalled the game and went back to to the previous version from BAttle.net (the installer) so that I wouldn't have to worry about this playing single player.

Edit: We really should stop talking about SC1 in the SC2 Beta thread. There should be a RTTP Starcraft 1 thread or something.

Kagami

There's some kind of bug in Win 7's DrectDraw that causes problems with old games like Starcraft and Age Empires, including locking up the computer and forcing you to reboot. (Technically, it only locks the video and interface, so you might be able to recover with a remote login of some kind.)

Incompatibility is one thing, but locking the system up is something MS needs to fix.

Anyway, I've been running Starcraft inside VMware Workstation in XP.

Yaweee

Kinyou said:
Ah thanks.

I had not idea they were heading for a release this July, always thought it was going to be the end of this year. Well then it's not that bad to miss beta anyway.

Except for World of Warcraft, most Blizzard betas are only 3~4 months. Warcraft 3's beta started roughly this time of the year in 2002 and made a July 3rd release date, and that game wasn't even remotely close to the finished state that Starcraft 2 was in.

Minsc

Gold Member
Kagami said:
There's some kind of bug in Win 7's DrectDraw that causes problems with old games like Starcraft and Age Empires, including locking up the computer and forcing you to reboot. (Technically, it only locks the video and interface, so you might be able to recover with a remote login of some kind.)

Incompatibility is one thing, but locking the system up is something MS needs to fix.

Anyway, I've been running Starcraft inside VMware Workstation in XP.

Does Chaos Launcher's fix not work with BNET? It completely fixes the problem in all the cut-scenes, videos and menus, as well as the game (not to mention lets you run the game windowed and properly locks the mouse while windowed).

It is an annoying problem, I agree... you will also run in to it with C&C... generally opening the screen resolution thing fixes it for me, never had any lockups.

Raide

The Lamonster said:
Can someone please explain what this is? YouTube is blocked at work and I'm curious.

/dance for Units to start dancing. Its something that is randomly/always used in WoW for bored/leet people.

LowParry

The Lamonster said:
Can someone please explain what this is? YouTube is blocked at work and I'm curious.

It's a /dance emote with the Terran's. Marines doing the "peanut butter jelly time" dance. I mean, that is what it looks like!

Raelson said:
Weird fix but it works.

Holy shit. Thank you sir.

Raide said:
/dance for Units to start dancing. Its something that is randomly/always used in WoW for bored/leet people.
haha that is awesome. I love Blizzard.

hobart

Wanna know what my e-life is like now?

I can't get emails on my iPhone because of this game. Really. Every time my phone vibrates to alert me of a new message... I pray... I hope. Could this be when I get my key? Is it possible? Can my years upon years of waiting and anticipation be relieved after I view this message?

I can't take it.

I've tried silencing my phone. I've tried keeping the phone in another room. Can't do it. Friend in my WoW guild has a key... and he's rubbing it in my face. I'm thinking of visiting him. Laws may be broken. Perhaps a phone (the iPhone, of course) to his scalp will make him see things differently. No. Can't. How would I know if I got my beta key email then?

...could steal his...

See? This isn't healthy. Blizzard, you pricks, send me my key. I beg you. I'm tired of WoW and HoN. Please.

;)

hobart said:
Wanna know what my e-life is like now?

I can't get emails on my iPhone because of this game. Really. Every time my phone vibrates to alert me of a new message... I pray... I hope. Could this be when I get my key? Is it possible? Can my years upon years of waiting and anticipation be relieved after I view this message?

I can't take it.

I've tried silencing my phone. I've tried keeping the phone in another room. Can't do it. Friend in my WoW guild has a key... and he's rubbing it in my face. I'm thinking of visiting him. Laws may be broken. Perhaps a phone (the iPhone, of course) to his scalp will make him see things differently. No. Can't. How would I know if I got my beta key email then?

...could steal his...

See? This isn't healthy. Blizzard, you pricks, send me my key. I beg you. I'm tired of WoW and HoN. Please.

;)
Dude. You've made it this far. I was holding my breath for this game back in the summer of 2007. How foolish of me. I had no idea it wouldn't release until 2010. You can do it. Just know that the next wave of e-mails probably won't come until next week or the next. I really wouldn't expect anything this week.

Zzoram

-COOLIO- said:
is it possible to find an sc1 game that isnt bgh?

Everyone who plays real 1v1 and 2v2 games is on iCCup because Blizzard stopped supporting an official Battle.net Ladder ranking system for Starcraft years ago. That plus Battle.net is rife with hackers now and iCCup at least has some security measures to reduce the likelihood of playing against hackers.

epmode

CcrooK said:
I hate WoW.
I'm shocked by this news.
CcrooK said:
It's a /dance emote with the Terran's. Marines doing the "peanut butter jelly time" dance. I mean, that is what it looks like!
Hay, remember that time Blizzard had WoW characters singing in a band? Guitars, drums, stupid stuff? Right then I knew that WoW had irrevocably destroyed the Warcraft brand.

...Oh wait, that was TFT.

ThatGuy said:
But we have to write the SC2 ID's and which region EU/NA because the regions are separated.
Quoting this as well as I do have the beta. My Id is Bluescrote.blue and I'm in NA(if that matters).

epmode said:
Hay, remember that time Blizzard had WoW characters singing in a band? Guitars, drums, stupid stuff? Right then I knew that WoW had irrevocably destroyed the Warcraft brand.

...Oh wait, that was TFT.
Yeah I hate fun. Why doesn't Blizzard just leave out fun things? :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
Everyone who plays real 1v1 and 2v2 games is on iCCup because Blizzard stopped supporting an official Battle.net Ladder ranking system for Starcraft years ago. That plus Battle.net is rife with hackers now and iCCup at least has some security measures to reduce the likelihood of playing against hackers.
More explaining than I gave but yes.

Since you follow the scene a bit how good are you at SC anyway? :D

Belfast

I never understood the desire of some people for everything to be so fucking serious. I've always been drawn to Blizzard for their tongue-in-cheek, comic book-like approach to fantasy and sci-fi. And they can make things serious and classy when the time calls for it.

It's what makes their games patently unique.

If you want terrible, depressing, and super-"realistic" I can point you to any other number of games/books/movies/television shows out there.

oxrock said:

opening the screen res window doesnt work for me.

your options if you choose to accept them are to:

1. make a file called color.bat in the starcraft directory, which has this code in it:

@ECHO OFF
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe > NUL
StarCraft.exe
choice /N /T 2 /C 7 /D 7 > NUL
start /B explorer.exe

This code kills the traskbar during the game, which is the inherent problem. run color.bat every time you run the game.

2. run it windowed, download chaoslauncher. Problem? it uses 640x480 window, and using 2x mode is bigger vertically than my screen allows. There is a button to keep the mouse confined to the winodw though which is nice.

3. run mcbane's resolution hack to see more of the playing field. Works alright, but seems rather choppy at times. Inherently fixes the hack somehow. If the mcbane hack crashes during a game, you're still in the game but cant see anything anymore, so this isnt optimal.

TheExodu5

Banned
Personally I really love the Terran themes. They're like SC1 themes + Firefly + Awesome.

Ice Monkey said:
opening the screen res window doesnt work for me.

your options if you choose to accept them are to:

1. make a file called color.bat in the starcraft directory, which has this code in it:

@ECHO OFF
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe > NUL
StarCraft.exe
choice /N /T 2 /C 7 /D 7 > NUL
start /B explorer.exe

This code kills the traskbar during the game, which is the inherent problem. run color.bat every time you run the game.

2. run it windowed, download chaoslauncher. Problem? it uses 640x480 window, and using 2x mode is bigger vertically than my screen allows. There is a button to keep the mouse confined to the winodw though which is nice.

3. run mcbane's resolution hack to see more of the playing field. Works alright, but seems rather choppy at times. Inherently fixes the hack somehow. If the mcbane hack crashes during a game, you're still in the game but cant see anything anymore, so this isnt optimal.

I use a similar batch file, that I got from the ICCup forum.

cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 C:\"Games"\"Launcher"\"Launcher.exe"
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2
cd C:\Games\StarCraft\
rem cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 C:\"Games"\"StarCraft"\"StarCraft.exe"
rem Wait for the game to quit, press Enter to continue
pause
start explorer.exe
exit

It sets the cpu affinity to 1. Also, in game, you want to check "Enable CPU throttling", otherwise you'll be taxing even the fastest CPUs to 90% usage for no reason.

clip said:
Can we play against the AI yet?

Not yet, but they are close it seems.

everyone said:
Does anyone here play sc2 beta?

YES YES I DO but I never play it because I always try to play at night when all the koreans are out in droves, and I get my ass handed to me. I would desperately love to play against some of you guys!

One question, does anyone know why on the friends list thing it says your actual r/l name, and do other people see that when you friend them?

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Fugu said:
So... is there anyone in this thread with Starcraft 2? I would love someone to play with.
I'm in - TelosFour.telos

I'm in the Platinum League, but I'm slipping. I've dropped down to a rating of around 960. I've been going random, but I might stick with Terran soon. I'm weakest with Zerg.

What's the deal with the legality behind getting a cracked beta for replays and (eventually) AI matches? I'm interested in doing this, but I don't wanna get banned from battle.net and I don't wanna do it if it's illegal...

Top Bottom