• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

DieH@rd said:
Blizzard is not releasing this game just for 2010 PC's, and that is one of the keys of their sucess. Just look at the minimum requirements :lol

Sure, but that is due to a mindset of making it highly scalable (both upwards and downwards), not due to a mindset of "let's make a game that only runs on old machines."

TheExodu5

Banned
DieH@rd said:
Blizzard is not releasing this game just for 2010 PC's, and that is one of the keys of their sucess. Just look at the minimum requirements :lol

And if it remains in its current state, they'll be forcing the competitive scene to adopt to low graphics settings.

Minsc

Gold Member
godhandiscen said:
They could be running feedback processes though. I specifically came to this thread after I found my performance to be dissapointing. Core i7 @ 3.7GHz + GTX295. It wasn't bad, definitely 30~40fps at the lowest when i would zoom in, but still really sad given I am used to a perfect 60fps.

There's hope for sure, we won't know until the final build is released, and even then, they could always patch it later. You have to run the game with only shaders on low (leave everything else max), just for kicks though, see how your framerate jumps through the roof! 200+ fps increase I bet!

Just disappointing now, as TheExodu5 said, for a game to be running at 40fps and leaving 50% of your GPU unused and about 75% of your CPU unused. Might even be more like 75% of your GPU unused if you have a faster GPU or SLI one. So the game's only drawing 1/4 of your system's power, for some weird reason!

And they point out that benchmark isn't even a worst-case scenario, that's just an average large battle. Figure probably 1/2 those framerates again if you carry out a ridiculous all-out attack with 100s of units and multiple players.

Shaoren

Neo Member
Blizzard's games are known not to be beautiful only technically, but above all artistically.

From what I have seen, the game has its own identity, not only some special effects, this is why it is easier to support older computers.

Guys, as wait is killing me could you recommend me any other strategy game that came out after CoH. I also played DoW 1 & 2, but I think I would like some basic base building (no C&C please) but it is by no means required.

LiK

I played a lil last night and I think my gfx card is a bit weak for it even on medium settings. Guess I'll go low for multi games against ppl.

btw, I think I gotta redo the hotkeys and def learn the new units. I'm a tad slower but I was able to rush the CPU with a few zealots and win. I guess my old tactics still work.

Fixed1979

godhandiscen said:
They could be running feedback processes though. I specifically came to this thread after I found my performance to be dissapointing. Core i7 @ 3.7GHz + GTX295. It wasn't bad, definitely 30~40fps at the lowest when i would zoom in, but still really sad given I am used to a perfect 60fps.

I have the same/similar build as you, I'm assuming that you're running everything maxed for these results? Just wondering how I'm going to perform.

I'm sure that there will be lots of optimization between now and the official release, sounds like they really need to tighten things up a bit.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
good news, I was able to extract one extra beta key out of Blizzard. I'll be sending all those who have PMed me about the keys details by the afternoon.

Freki

Caspel said:
good news, I was able to extract one extra beta key out of Blizzard. I'll be sending all those who have PMed me about the keys details by the afternoon.
woot - finally some good news :-D

Caspel said:
Just this little bit of hope has made the morning so much fresher. Thanks for the incoming info!

Minsc

Gold Member
Nice comparison of the different graphic features here.

The first A/B test is very drastic, Zerg take on a whole new slimy look w/ ultra shaders.

Freki

Minsc said:
Nice comparison of the different graphic features here.

The first A/B test is very drastic, Zerg take on a whole new slimy look w/ ultra shaders.
good to know i can put shadows on low without any significant impact.
and those shaders are impressive

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Door2Dawn said:
Just one key? sucks.

yup, just one key. Their PR doesn't want to send out beta keys to any of the media for giveaways but their marketing guys were able to give us one.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Caspel said:
yup, just one key. Their PR doesn't want to send out beta keys to any of the media for giveaways but their marketing guys were able to give us one.
Well thats cool then. Getting one key must of been miracle in itself.

LiveWire

Yea, I'm running on Ultra for all settings, smooth as butter. :D

3.4 Ghz C2D CPU
4GB RAM
ATI HD4890

Question about the maps in the beta, what are those yellow outlined relics that you interact with and assemble? What bonus, if any do you get for them? It seems like you need to keep a unit nearby all the time or else it doesn't work?

LiK

Caspel said:
They should be grateful you're offering one in the first place. Don't explain ;)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How to play Protoss
fmqm82.jpg

LiveWire

Hazaro said:
How to play Protoss

Yea what are those things? My opponent last night ran a shitload of them with Zealots and walkers and halved my Carriers/Void Ray/force pretty quickly. They looked like observers but I could've sworn I saw them attacking?

oh god that was hilarious

pro tip-don't hide tech right beside a xel'naga watchtower ;p

edit: wish more streams were Terrans. Foreigners always hated playing T compared to P or especially Z, but the SC2 Terran is (IMO) really awesome.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fragamemnon said:
oh god that was hilarious

pro tip-don't hide tech right beside a xel'naga watchtower ;p

edit: wish more streams were Terrans. Foreigners always hated playing T compared to P or especially Z, but the SC2 Terran is (IMO) really awesome.
As a Terran player in SC1 I'm really liking the looks of Protoss since the mech factor is played down in SCII (Hellion seem bad, no goliaths :[)

Fragamemnon said:
Anybody have any tips for Terran strategy? I am getting so owned.

Haven't won a game yet :|

I actually like Hellions quite a bit. They are good when a ZvT/PvT drags out (provided you aren't contained) due to their speed in getting to bases and huge damage against probes/drones, and an outright staple in TvT (the current banshee craze is a flash in the pan in that MU), or at least the way I play TvT.

I do miss goliaths though. I don't like the Thor at all, in PvT I'd rather just take down the colossus with Viking micro.

I usually go with hydras as early as possible for defense/nydus attacks, and start massing air. Granted I lost a shit ton of games last night lol, but I think this is a good strategy.

My end game still sucks though, and I need to expand more. Once I get those things down I'll be set.

DemiMatt

was playign 2v2 random last night, and I aws pinging my teammate to cover all the dark parts of ouir base in twilight fortress. Then he got Nidus Wormed. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I saw that alot last night. Its good though that they have litle health and can be downed easily. But once htye are up. fuuuuuuuuuu.

Does anyone know that if you load a nydus canal and kill the worm, the canal dies with the units in it?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Fixed1979 said:
I have the same/similar build as you, I'm assuming that you're running everything maxed for these results? Just wondering how I'm going to perform.

I'm sure that there will be lots of optimization between now and the official release, sounds like they really need to tighten things up a bit.
Yes, everything on ULTRA. Also, it was a replay. I haven't really played the game yet. I just did the hack to get replays running. I doubt I would notice the dips when I am focused.

LiveWire

Hazaro said:
As a Terran player in SC1 I'm really liking the looks of Protoss since the mech factor is played down in SCII (Hellion seem bad, no goliaths :[)

Same here. I played Terran exclusively in SC1, and now I'm all about the Protoss. Still hate the Zerg though. :lol

Fragamemnon said:
I actually like Hellions quite a bit. They are good when a ZvT/PvT drags out (provided you aren't contained) due to their speed in getting to bases and huge damage against probes/drones, and an outright staple in TvT (the current banshee craze is a flash in the pan in that MU), or at least the way I play TvT.

I do miss goliaths though. I don't like the Thor at all, in PvT I'd rather just take down the colossus with Viking micro.

im creaming my pants imagining how this game will play when someone comes out with custom melee that has lurkers/goliaths/etc all added in with all the new units....

Hazaro said:
Go MMM or M&M+M or 3M or M3 or M^3

Marines, Mards, Medivac against toss (before they have colossus)
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=112636

This is what I do, and it's easy to get out Vikings if they go colossus (just start as soon as you see the support bay) or two ghosts for EMP if you see a fast immortal build (this is common, it has a one gate opening and a really fast robo).

A good EMP against an early Immortal push can be GG double quick.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fragamemnon said:
This is what I do, and it's easy to get out Vikings if they go colossus (just start as soon as you see the support bay) or two ghosts for EMP if you see a fast immortal build (this is common, it has a one gate opening and a really fast robo).

A good EMP against an early Immortal push can be GG double quick.
Yeah a lot of gas needs to be invested but that is ok since you can pump marrines and medivacs.

I watch orb get owned by a ghost EMP on his ramp.

Zzoram

Caspel said:

PM sent. I accidentally titled it "eta key" because I was hitting backspace to change the title but somehow accidentally hit the Enter key at the same time.

Caspel said:

omg, i definitely PMed you a few days ago. I thought I was too late or something when I didn't hear from you! :eek:

Thanks for doing this man

Top Bottom