• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

mbmonk

Caspel said:
I'm sorry :-(. I just cranked out another 30 messages to people. Here's a deal I'll give people here on GAF since I love the board so much -- if you state your GAF name in the e-mail, I'll give you a 2nd entry in the contest. So two is better than one, right? :).

SWEEEEET!

Enosh

Caspel said:
I'm sorry :-(. I just cranked out another 30 messages to people. Here's a deal I'll give people here on GAF since I love the board so much -- if you state your GAF name in the e-mail, I'll give you a 2nd entry in the contest. So two is better than one, right? :).
could have told this before :D

should I resend the mail and put your quote in the mail?^^

TheExodu5

Banned
Caspel said:

You're the person we're emailing? :eek:

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Enosh said:
could have told this before :D

should I resend the mail and put your quote in the mail?^^

well of course. Also, heads up, if anyone on here is named Stephen E., you answered the last question wrong. Feel free to try again.

Edit:
yes, I am the one reading all the e-mails. Right now I am watching Season 1 of Fringe with the g/f after work, sending out PMs and reading answers people send over =)

TheExodu5

Banned
Caspel said:
well of course. Also, heads up, if anyone on here is named Stephen E., you answered the last question wrong. Feel free to try again.

Edit:
yes, I am the one reading all the e-mails. Right now I am watching Season 1 of Fringe with the g/f after work, sending out PMs and reading answers people send over =)

Good times. :)

Fringe gets pretty good, as silly as the science is. Keep on watching.

Just sent in my entry!

Caspel said:

!!!

I sent mine just before reading that lol, I guess I'll try to resend it as well, hope you don't think I'm double dipping :)

mbmonk

Just sent in my entry from my HOT..MALE account. Might want to check the junk folder. I wouldn't blame any spam filter for sending all hotmail messages to the junk folder instantly. :lol

Thanks again.

Apath

I'm so awesome that I won't take away from other people's chances to win and will just hold out for a Blizzard-given beta key.

TheExodu5

Banned
Won't say who, but someone here just PM'ed me a beta key, out of the blue.

That person is now my favorite GAF user, and I am now so friggin' happy! :lol

Oh god, I realized that I only quoted your post in the second email I sent, but still forgot my username here lol oops. I'll just send you a pm with my email if you happen to stumble on it, sorry!

Shambles

Zzoram said:
Ugh I guess I won't be getting that key. What happened to the good old days of just randomly drawing names?

Bleh, one of those "sign up with twitter/youtube/facebook" contests. I make it a point to avoid those cesspools of humanity. Anyways congratulations to those of who grab them and thank you again Caspel for the contest.

TheExodu5 said:

Nice!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheExodu5 said:
Won't say who, but someone here just PM'ed me a beta key.

TheExodu5
Beg and panhandle your ass off to win!

TheExodu5 said:

That's good times! I'll probably see ya in retail "le sigh" lol

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
TheExodu5 said:

Congrats! I plan on playing the beta tomorrow after a busy week. I have it downloaded on the work computer and ready to go, just haven't had any spare time =(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Caspel said:
Congrats! I plan on playing the beta tomorrow after a busy week. I have it downloaded on the work computer and ready to go, just haven't had any spare time =(
Good luck on the contest!
If you could check my PM I'd appreciate it. Also feel free to video response something to one of my videos.

Btw I'm playing some sc1 right now and damn my wrist is starting to hurt, I'd forgotten how much strain pc gaming can be ><

PS thanks caspel for the reply heh

mbmonk

TheExodu5 said:

As Berni Mac would say.... YOU PUNK SUMAMAMABITCH&#65279;!!

Congrats :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Orangepeel said:
Btw I'm playing some sc1 right now and damn my wrist is starting to hurt, I'd forgotten how much strain pc gaming can be ><

PS thanks caspel for the reply heh
You up for some games? PM me west/east/iccup info

Mudkips

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

I'm sorry, but the correct response was "Yes, yes! All over my tits and face!".
And to whoever sent you that random key. Gimmegimmegimme!

Door2Dawn

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

Fuck! Where the hell is my beta key giving angle?

Ferrio

Banned
Scrow said:
please, can some kind soul out there send me a beta key? :D

imbellis.jpg

key.jpg

Gribbix

The latest BlizzCast episode is up (ep. 13).

It looks like the beta test period will be shorter than they originally planned. It's currently looking like it'll only last for 3 months. Chris Sigaty (production director) says that they are targeting a release for the first half of this year. Also given that the beta is shorter than expected, it looks like the galaxy map editor might not even make it into the beta as originally planned.
Rob Simpson: The new Galaxy Map Editor won't be available initially in beta, but what can people expect when they finally get their hands on it and when would you guys like that to be?

Chris Sigaty: So the editor is something that we're talking a lot about. We would like to potentially release it in what we're calling our major content patch update that's planned for pretty late in the beta to be honest with you. The question really is, will it be far enough along and in a spot where we can allow people to look at it and publish and will we have enough time to react to that? So it's something we're looking at closely. We've discussed it, but I can't say that it will or will not happen at this point, I don't know. It's a goal, but on the periphery of whether it will happen or not, that's probably my best answer to that. What we hope to get from having the editor out there early is get some people started on some cool ideas for maps so that when the game launches they can have some cool stuff up very quickly on the service basically, so that other players can download it and have some other options out there. We feel like we're going to hit a lot of the cases that players would have not only with just their multiplayer maps but we will have some cool mod maps that we're going to do on our own, but they're largely just glimpses at things rather than entire answers. The earlier we can get the community started, the better, it's just the time window is shorter than we have talked about.

You haven't asked this question yet, but I'll answer it ahead of time. We were targeting three to five months for the beta, we're really at a three month period of time for the beta at this point. We are still targeting the first half of this year, so with that in mind, it really shortens the window of time with our major content patch coming out pretty close to the end whether it's even worth it putting out the map editor at that point.

Here's an interesting excerpt regarding the campaign mode's upgrade/research system:
Rob Simpson: The single player campaign, which isn't available to beta testers, has seen some changes like the research point system and some new UI features. Can you talk about how that has been shaping up and are there any other noteworthy updates for the Wings of Liberty campaign?

Dustin Browder: Well it's been going really well. We've put a lot of work into the research system as you mentioned specifically to really give the player some additional choices. Previously, the version we've shown players was Raynor's raiders could go out and acquire things like protoss artifacts or strange zerg organisms and bring them back to the Hyperion, dissect them or take them apart and try to get some additional technology out of these strange alien devices or creatures. It was really much more like a shop, you'd get points and you'd spend points on a type of technology you wanted. There was no connection, you could get zerg creatures but buy something that felt like a protoss technology and we weren't very happy with that. So we went back to the drawing board on that one and we came up with a system that feels a little bit more like research. You still go out and you get points for acquiring these things but there's a zerg tree and there's a protoss tree, right. If you get zerg creatures or protoss artifacts you get technologies that seem to relate to those races. Then when you get to certain levels in the tree you have to make a hard decision. Do I want technology A or technology B and once you choose, you're done, you're never going back to that other technology. So it really feels like a much harder choice, a more challenging choice and it doesn't feel like another type of tech purchase which is what we had elsewhere in the game. It's a lot better research system, it's still a simplified research system compared to what you might find in a big empire building game, but that's not what we are, right, we're still a real time strategy game. Where you want to get these things and take them down to the battlefield and burn up some zerglings and that's what you want. It's definitely a vast improvement over what we've shown previously.

Milabrega

Everyone still waiting for their beta key angels to decent from heaven can join us playing starcraft 1. There's a thread we're using to organize in the online section or you can just hop on UsEast, Channel : Gaf, if no one is there shoot me a whisper MilabregaSC1 and i'll let ya know how much time is left in the current game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Gribbix said:
The latest BlizzCast episode is up (ep. 13).

It looks like the beta test period will be shorter than they originally planned. It's currently looking like it'll only last for 3 months. Chris Sigaty (production director) says that they are targeting a release for the first half of this year. Also given that the beta is shorter than expected, it looks like the galaxy map editor might not even make it into the beta as originally planned.

Here's an interesting excerpt regarding the campaign mode's upgrade/research system:

That campaign mode is going to be so great, here's to hoping a release in another 2-3 months too!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
True?

StarCraft II Beta - Patch 1 (version 0.3.0.14093)
English | Español | Deutsch | Français | Italiano | &#1056;&#1091;&#1089;&#1089;&#1082;&#1080;&#1081; | Polski | &#54620;&#44397;&#50612; | &#32321;&#39636;&#20013;&#25991;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

StarCraft II Beta - Patch 1 (version 0.3.0.14093)

BALANCE CHANGES

TERRAN
Viking
The armor value for this unit in Fighter Mode has decreased from 1 to 0.
The damage done by this unit in Fighter Mode has changed from 6 (+8 armored) to 10 (+4 armored).
Reaper
The damage done from D-8 Charges has decreased from 40 to 30.
The delay between attacks for D-8 Charges has decreased from 2.5 to 1.8.
Orbital Command
The build time for this upgrade has decreased from 50 to 35.
PROTOSS
Observer
Gravitic Boosters: The cost of this research has decreased from 150 minerals and 150 vespene gas to 100 minerals and 100 vespene gas.
High Templar
Phase Shift: This ability has been removed from the game.
New ability: Feedback - Drains all energy from the target unit and causes damage equal to the amount of energy drained.
Colossus
The building pathing radius for this unit has decreased from .75 to .5625.
Mothership
Vortex: The energy cost of this ability has increased from 75 to 100.
Vortex: The target radius of this ability has decreased from 3.0 to 2.5.
Temporal Rift: This ability has been removed from the game.
Wormhole Transit: This ability has been removed from the game.
New ability: Mass Recall - Teleports all of the player's units in the target area to the Mothership.
Nexus
Chrono Boost can no longer target allies.
Gateway
The build time of this building has increased from 50 to 65.
ZERG
Infestor
Fungal Growth: The damage done by this ability has decreased from 48 to 36.
Fungal Growth: This ability now prevents affected units from burrowing.
Neural Parasite: Functionality changed - The Infestor now channels this spell, which lasts 10 seconds or until the Infestor is destroyed. You can now target all units with this ability.
Terran Infestation: The ability’s energy cost has reduced from 50 to 25 and Infested Terrans now spawn 1 at a time.

BUG FIXES

Addressed an issue causing people to receive an “Internal Battle.net Error” message with their game client.
Muting your microphone will no longer cause your microphone to be turned off in the operating system once the program has exited.
Please note that the voice chat functionality has only partially been implemented. There are many known issues with voice chat that we expect to address in a future patch.
The “Medium” graphical settings were reconfigured to work better on appropriate machines. The video settings “auto-detect” functionality has been reset as a result.
Added a frame rate limiter to the game menus to prevent some graphics cards from running at higher frame rates than necessary.

Signed up for the contest, here's to hoping my luck will change.

Also, I had no idea they were bringing in new units. I was sad when I saw goliaths were taken out (thought the Thor replaced them) but now that they're apparently coming back I'm pretty ecstatic.

Wedge7

Freakinchair said:
Signed up for the contest, here's to hoping my luck will change.

Also, I had no idea they were bringing in new units. I was sad when I saw goliaths were taken out (thought the Thor replaced them) but now that they're apparently coming back I'm pretty ecstatic.

The hell are you talking about?

Top Bottom