• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Against zerg I do a 3 rax (2 reactors, 1 tech lab) with an ebay off 1 refinery, moving out when +1 is done for a timing attack where you put on pressure and force zerg to build units instead of powering, but don't commit to a decisive battle unless you're pretty sure it can be one (sort of like a sunken bust in BW TvZ). I float my CC to my natural expansion during this push and start a factory during the push, all the while still pumping from the three rax and upgrading +1 armor.

Then go starport, float starport to a reactor and build another rax (faster medivacs) , and then you can start drops and getting vikings out to kill overlords.

It actually plays out a lot like BW TvZ except there is no obnoxious mutalisk harass (though with the ebay and lots of +1 marines you are ready for them!) and your medics come later but you also get great map control from your one starport. Oh, and no invincible unit defiler bullshit. :lol

Wedge7

autobzooty said:
omg, i definitely PMed you a few days ago. I thought I was too late or something when I didn't hear from you! :eek:

Thanks for doing this man

Heh, I thought the same. Well actually, I just thought that he wasn't able to get the keys.

LiveWire

:lol nice. Only thing that would make that video better would be a "NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED" and a camera pan to the real Terran base. :D

Wedge7

Insaniac said:
i'm assuming unit in the vortex are immune to damage? Thats a pretty slick combo

Exactly, just like Stasis in SC1, though with Stasis, you could clearly see the units that are all frozen, and they dont get 'sucked' up like with Vortex.

Wedge7

KnightM7 said:
Its so close I can taste it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvUZC-SxfCw

According to this twitter(which Im not sure is real or some cruel joke) it could be done by the end of the week, if not probably before the end of the month.
http://twitter.com/StarCrack2

2qv7gjs.gif

Minsc

Gold Member
KnightM7 said:
Its so close I can taste it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvUZC-SxfCw

According to this twitter(which Im not sure is real or some cruel joke) it could be done by the end of the week, if not probably before the end of the month.
http://twitter.com/StarCrack2

Is that a hack that will let you play without being in the beta or am I misunderstanding that? Probably pretty darn illegal if so.

Especially since you can run it indefinitely, and basically skip buying the game entirely... Blizzard won't be pleased.

Wedge7

Minsc said:
Is that a hack that will let you play without being in the beta or am I misunderstanding that? Probably pretty darn illegal if so.

Especially since you can run it indefinitely, and basically skip buying the game entirely... Blizzard won't be pleased.

Probably some form of playing against the AI. Not playing against humans or over the b.net servers.

Minsc said:

Yea, they are working on either cracking it to allow playing with just single player AI or perhaps emulating Battle.net. Either are obviously for those without beta keys.

kilongs

Minsc said:

There are bound to be many changes during and after the beta that they would miss out on if they decided to run a cracked beta client indefinitely instead of buying the game.

Yaweee

It's a bit different for Warcraft 3 because that had normal LAN functionality, but I think its beta was cracked for LAN play, single-player against comps, and private servers, if memory serves me correctly. I don't think anybody bothered with it after the game was released.

TheExodu5

Banned
Minsc said:

It's just the UI. They won't be able to do anything here without emulating the B.Net servers though I think...might be a while before this comes out.

I'm sure it breaks the EULA, but cracks have never really been the target of legal action before.

coopolon

Minsc said:

I agree with everything above, but in all honesty, the game will probably be cracked soon if not immediately after release, so a cracked beta won't matter much then.

Shaoren

Neo Member
As for any Blizzard games, there will be private servers. It is just a matter of time, it will certainly take more time because of Bnet 2.

DemiMatt said:
was playign 2v2 random last night, and I aws pinging my teammate to cover all the dark parts of ouir base in twilight fortress. Then he got Nidus Wormed. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I saw that alot last night. Its good though that they have litle health and can be downed easily. But once htye are up. fuuuuuuuuuu.

Does anyone know that if you load a nydus canal and kill the worm, the canal dies with the units in it?

The units do not die. They stay in the Nydus network and can be extracted either at the home network or any subsequent nydus worms.

Minsc

Gold Member
coopolon said:
I agree with everything above, but in all honesty, the game will probably be cracked soon if not immediately after release, so a cracked beta won't matter much then.

After all they've invested in to creating Battle.net, I was hoping it stay unhacked for a while... but they are bringing out the most popular games on the PC, so they have quite a challenge. All the hackers are going to be drawn to it, but I really hope Blizzard has some nice aces up their sleeve to keep it from being pirated, even for a few months.

I want them to have every last cent so they can keep on dishing out expansion packs! :D

raphier

Banned
I have a gut feeling that all console developers united to crack B.net, afterall they've been saying that PC is dead for a long time, so it makes sense. :lol

kilongs

Once SC2 is officially released, the first thing hackers/crackers are gonna do is remove the B.net verification thingy so that people can do lan parties.

you know, the menus look cute and all but i doubt anything except very easy cpu battles will be unlocked.

Im not trying to be a downer but if thats all it is then that youtube video is a waste of time.

ill eat my words if better cpu or campaign levels are unlocked though.

Ice Monkey said:
you know, the menus look cute and all but i doubt anything except very easy cpu battles will be unlocked.

Im not trying to be a downer but if thats all it is then that youtube video is a waste of time.

ill eat my words if better cpu or campaign levels are unlocked though.
I imagine at this point, people with out beta keys really don't care what part of the game they get to play as long as they get to play it.

FoxSpirit

Well, I followed the Starcrack devchat a bit, there's lots of swearing. Blizzard made a huge effort in obfuscating the code even in memory and stuff.
Also, blargh, single player. Fun as a novelty item but the only AI included in the game is the "very easy" one and said to be DUMB. AS. BRICKS.

In fact, that's almost even more teasing when people will realize that playing against it :lol

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
so I sent out a few PMs (probably 8-10) but it's taking a long time (30 seconds wait time) and I have to jet out of the office right now. There are 66 more left in the hopper, so it's a long process lol. But if the people I PMed want to share the info, they can, if not, then I will continue PMing people back once I get home from work.

coopolon

Minsc said:
After all they've invested in to creating Battle.net, I was hoping it stay unhacked for a while... but they are bringing out the most popular games on the PC, so they have quite a challenge. All the hackers are going to be drawn to it, but I really hope Blizzard has some nice aces up their sleeve to keep it from being pirated, even for a few months.

I want them to have every last cent so they can keep on dishing out expansion packs! :D

I hope so too. I think Blizzard's best tool against the pirates is going to be Battle.net, not in its DRM/whatever method, but in providing services. Hopefully people connected to Battle.net will have a significantly better experience then people not connected, whether it be mods, matchmaking, etc.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Caspel said:
so I sent out a few PMs (probably 8-10) but it's taking a long time (30 seconds wait time) and I have to jet out of the office right now. There are 66 more left in the hopper, so it's a long process lol. But if the people I PMed want to share the info, they can, if not, then I will continue PMing people back once I get home from work.
Please.

coopolon said:
I hope so too. I think Blizzard's best tool against the pirates is going to be Battle.net, not in its DRM/whatever method, but in providing services. Hopefully people connected to Battle.net will have a significantly better experience then people not connected, whether it be mods, matchmaking, etc.

the massive achievements they have set up is more than enough reason for me at least to buy it.

been waiting for this game forever, it will absolutely positively be one of the happiest 50/60 bucks I have spent on gaming in a loooooooooooooong time

clip

Caspel said:

How do I get in on this? :/

Fixed1979

Ice Monkey said:
the massive achievements they have set up is more than enough reason for me at least to buy it.

been waiting for this game forever, it will absolutely positively be one of the happiest 50/60 bucks I have spent on gaming in a loooooooooooooong time

I have a bad habit of buying CE for all my games regardless, but this is the one game I would love to see a really special CE for (regardless of costs).

DemiMatt

so is it common for people to be sharing their bnet beta accounts? I have gotten a couple of people asking for it (not that ill share) but are there any rammifications?

i think battle.net is down....if so, I really hope they update this damned game, its got a lot of cheap tactics that don't seem to have any counters. protoss endgame anyone?

either that or keep everything the same and give us new maps/more players blizzard! PLEASE!

edit: let me elaborate, in protoss endgame terran has to be either good at BC micro or ghost micro and pull off multiple emps and such. Just seems like a lot of micro necessary for a counter to mothership/carrier which just a-moves through your base like mad.

everyone knows how uber roaches are in the first 3 minutes, and reapers are way too cheap for easily taking out a main hatch and losing maybe half the reaps at most.

Then nydus definitely needs some work the worm spawns way too quickly when as it is nobody ever notices the worm until after many units are out anyways. also has anyone other than me tried nydus with banelings set to attack buildings straight into a main? JUICY

DemiMatt said:
so is it common for people to be sharing their bnet beta accounts? I have gotten a couple of people asking for it (not that ill share) but are there any rammifications?

i wouldnt do it, but its up to you I guess, not only is the account actually worth a good amount of cash right now but I know blizzard frowns upon it, outwardly with the fact that you can have posting problems on battle.net if you routinely are sharing it.

Caspel said:

Are you still handing them out caspel?

SloppehSlawlz

Neo Member
DemiMatt said:
Blizzard doesn't condone sharing accounts, but at the same time they won't do anything about it. I have been noticing alot of aaccount sharing on the teamliquid live streams, and they haven't seen any problems. Although the people sharing accounts are probably friends.

mbmonk

Caspel said:

Awesome :D

Any news on digital preorders? I assume it will be made available on Blizzards store. I guessing I shouldn't hold my breath for it to be offered on Steam?

I assume there hasn't been any news on a release date. I was looking back at the Warcraft 3 beta release time period and War3 beta started in late January/early Feb. and it got officially released on July 3rd. So if thing shake out on a similar time scale then it should be July-ish when SC2 gets a release. A ways off... But of course I am sure there were different circumstances and levels of progress with each game. But I am hoping early July :D

Zzoram

SloppehSlawlz said:
Blizzard doesn't condone sharing accounts, but at the same time they won't do anything about it. I have been noticing alot of aaccount sharing on the teamliquid live streams, and they haven't seen any problems. Although the people sharing accounts are probably friends.

In those cases, it's friends sharing accounts with roommates or local friends, and not using different computers but using the same one. I think that is fine. It's people sharing accounts with completely different computers living far apart that is sketchy.

Zzoram

Enosh said:
I don't know if it is the same thing he is sending per PM (didn't get one so far) but he posted that on twitter:

Ugh I guess I won't be getting that key. What happened to the good old days of just randomly drawing names?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
Ugh I guess I won't be getting that key. What happened to the good old days of just randomly drawing names?
If you want site views I'll just let you put in video responses :lol
I expect 5 minutes before the answers and contact are put online :[

mbmonk

Enosh said:
I don't know if it is the same thing he is sending per PM (didn't get one so far) but he posted that on twitter:

I don't know my pokemon's.

I just never thought that not knowing pokeman would ever come back to bite me in the ass. :lol Time to research.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Zzoram said:

I'm sorry :-(. I just cranked out another 30 messages to people. Here's a deal I'll give people here on GAF since I love the board so much -- if you state your GAF name in the e-mail, I'll give you a 2nd entry in the contest. So two is better than one, right? :).

Top Bottom