• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

coopolon

Gribbix said:
Here's an interesting excerpt regarding the campaign mode's upgrade/research system:

I know this is going to be really weird, but I am looking forward to the campaign WAY more than multiplayer.

I'm not too prideful to ask for a random key.

So yeah...I would love an extra key if someone is feeling generous.

...perhaps someone who loves SOTN and digs my sweet avatar? I know that has dick to do with SC2 but whatever...

TheExodu5

Banned
To be clear: I never asked for a key here, so if you want a shot at one, you're better off not asking! (seriously guys)

Anyways, just played a quick AI match since I need to head out in a few minutes.

Here are a few quick settings changes that will increase performance by a fairly decent amount (~50% or so improved performance) with little impact on visual quality:

Terrain detail -> Medium
Shaders -> High

You can get another 10% performance increase if you turn off 3D portraits, but you do lose those sexy portraits.

TheExodu5

Banned
One thing is slightly bothering btw: even playing an AI match on Battle.net, there's noticeable input delay in issuing an order and those orders being carried out.

To be clear: I never asked for a key here, so if you want a shot at one, you're better off not asking! (seriously guys)

The beta key begging has really ramped up over the past couple of pages. Beta keys are really scarce right now, so the chance that a bunch of people have extras sitting around is small.

But I'm sure there are people out there with spare keys, and I like to think that Exodus was blessed with a beta key because of his worthwhile contributions to this thread. Posting "can someone send me a beta key please??? SAD FACE *RANDOM VIOLIN CHORDS*" isn't a worthwhile contribution.

Thanks for the contest Caspel. I sent you two emails because I didn't catch that you would give gaffers double entries. Sorry if I messed it up or something....

I'm not sure if I should get my hopes up or not....I'm recalling the days of the Uncharted 2 beta and the many hours I spent scouring twitter for contests only to come up empty-handed in the end.

Edit: I have my hype avatar ready though, just in case...

nessmarine.png

Metiphis

I work at a local orphanage and the children here have no real hope or future to look forward to. All of the potential parents that visit here want a child gifted in the field of RTS. We've run out of Korean babies and the only hope these other children have... is in your hands.

You hold the KEY to their happiness. The KEY to the children's future. Donate today and we will send you a packet containing photos of your sponsored child being crushed by David Kim in online gameplay.

Sponsored by the Council For Shameless Lies and Begging.

coopolon said:
I know this is going to be really weird, but I am looking forward to the
campaign WAY more than multiplayer.

It's not weird. RTS is my favorite gaming genre. The only ones I have not played are SupCom and Dawn of War (and of course, there's the DoW genre debate). I consider the Total War games to be more like Civ than Command and Conquer/WarCraft.

But I say all of that to say that I play RTS games for their "stories" first. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have been such a fan of RTS games had it not been for the videos in the first C&C. Wow, Westwood was just...phenomenal at trailblazing.

I was actually disappointed that I would have to play WoW to see how the TFT saga ended. I'm not going to play WoW. I did rejoice that I saw a WoW book which "recapitulates" the story-related events in WoW. Don't know if they're canon or not.

But yeah, if Blizzard says they can deliver $50 worth of story with the three games, I'll see. Multiplayer SC for me was too...fast. RA3 has been my best multiplayer game. It has the small number of units kind of micro (without WCIII hero units) that I like.

Generally, I think an RTS is a terrible way to deliver a story, and it's why I found reading the wikipedia for SC1 more interesting than playing the campaign. But the things Blizzard is doing for the campaign mode in SC2 have really blown me away. I'm very excited for that, too.

scoobs

I hate being a beggar so I'm stopping my pleading for a key now, guess I'll try my luck with next wave of invites. At least I can watch youtube videos :)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Key begging stops. I'm not even going to suggest a key request thread, since the things are going for $300 still. Just be patient.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ice Monkey said:
holy shit! REAPER BUFFS?! what the hell have i been playing that reapers are buffed?!?!?!

I think the idea is that they're trying to prevent small packs of reapers from taking down buildings in a single volley. A building that they took down in one volley before will now take two. This isn't like WoW where it's DPS against a raid boss. It's more like how warriors talk about how important BURST damage is to PVP. This is a nerf to reaper rushes while still keeping their damage significant in the late game.

Good starcraft classic games I played with whoever had joined, gg's around. You know, on topic, I really really love the gameplay starcraft provides, I just hope starcraft 2 is just as precise and fluent.

BTW i narrowly escaped an epic nuke that would've wiped out my entire fleet of carriers/corsairs/templar by seconds, I don't think any other game will ever get me quite as excited/freaking paranoid as starcraft and their NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED :lol

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
EviLore said:
Key begging stops. I'm not even going to suggest a key request thread, since the things are going for $300 still. Just be patient.
I think you scared off all conversation, either that or that's all anyone was coming here to do :lol
On a more serious note, the begging was becoming overwhelming. If you're hoping for your mystery GAF savior to come along and bless you with a key, try being an informative and helpful poster in this thread.

traveler

Not Wario
Gribbix said:
The latest BlizzCast episode is up (ep. 13).

It looks like the beta test period will be shorter than they originally planned. It's currently looking like it'll only last for 3 months. Chris Sigaty (production director) says that they are targeting a release for the first half of this year. Also given that the beta is shorter than expected, it looks like the galaxy map editor might not even make it into the beta as originally planned.

Here's an interesting excerpt regarding the campaign mode's upgrade/research system:

If it really comes out in 3 months, I can forgive the lack of editor. Otherwise, I'll be pretty disappointed, as that is the main thing I was hoping to mess around with in beta.

scoobs

Seems like stalkers and mothersips are more or less a waste of time for protoss. Every video i've seen they get smoked.

Spruchy

Blizzard I usually hate fanboys but I am your fanboy forever yet you always forsake me since Diablo II beta.

Why must you challenge my faith??!?!?

Blizzard mentioning a shorter beta phase definitely has me pumped for a possible late spring/early summer release, but I just :lol every time I think of them actually releasing two titles in one year... just doesn't seem possible for that company.

scoobs said:
Seems like stalkers and mothersips are more or less a waste of time for protoss. Every video i've seen they get smoked.

stalkers have an extremely important place: roach/reaper killing early game, and they are very good for surprise attacks and avoiding chokes with blink. They are also much cheaper than other units, its more like a pro staple than anything else.

motherships are godly, are you kidding? not only do they absorb a billion damage from alternatively hitting a squad of carriers or void rays UNTIL a scan or detector is used, but their black hole will completely decapitate a group of forces for 20 seconds or whatever it is, by which time they could be way too small a force to take on the carriers etc, and can also accordingly be used to disable detectors!

Not only that but now it freaking functions as a mobile nydus canal for toss since you can insta transport ground units into a base. its a badass arbiter now.

On another note, I tried the infected terrans and they suck hard. last 20 seconds and have a gun that shoots for 5 dmg, although admittedly it shoots relatively fast. they also move extremely slow, have no armor and have 50hp. What gives, blizzard?

scoobs said:

I've yet to see a good strategy involving the stalkers either unfortunately, as I had high hopes for the 'goon replacements.

EDIT:

Ice Monkey said:
stalkers have an extremely important place: roach/reaper killing early game, and they are very good for surprise attacks and avoiding chokes with blink. They are also much cheaper than other units, its more like a pro staple than anything else.

Hm, I hadn't tried using them like that yet. Perhaps I'll try using them as a supplement/counter more than anything else.

BlueScrote said:
I've yet to see a good strategy involving the stalkers either unfortunately, as I had high hopes for the 'goon replacements.

you dont really base a whole strategy on them, instead more with pro harass, as a comparison how often do you see people use reapers other than for base harass?

dont forget they are cheaper than other units too and can hit ground and air and the ever important blink.

Ice Monkey said:
On another note, I tried the infected terrans and they suck hard. last 20 seconds and have a gun that shoots for 5 dmg, although admittedly it shoots relatively fast. they also move extremely slow, have no armor and have 50hp. What gives, blizzard?
Aren't they more of a novelty unit? I'm sure there's going to be an awesome zerg mission in the campaign for they'll be put to good use, but as far a real versatility in a multiplayer game, probably not so much.

Smash88

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

For the record I only asked because I don't have a chance by normal means (cd-keys are in use), otherwise I wouldn't of asked and waited or entered a contest.

LowParry

The Lamonster said:
Okay I have not won a game yet. Terran tips for a nub, plz.

...or point me in the direction of a really good Terran replay.

Ya know, the smart ass response would be "let me play your account and I'll send you a replay file" bu instead, you really should look into Terran play replays. See how the maps are, where buildings are built the first 10 minutes. Look over the tree skills and decide on an early attack, or tech attack. Many many things you can do. :D

Zzoram

TheExodu5 said:
One thing is slightly bothering btw: even playing an AI match on Battle.net, there's noticeable input delay in issuing an order and those orders being carried out.

Competitive Starcraft's worst fear.

Orangepeel said:
Aren't they more of a novelty unit? I'm sure there's going to be an awesome zerg mission in the campaign for they'll be put to good use, but as far a real versatility in a multiplayer game, probably not so much.

actually now that i think about it, its probably a huge buff, because before i guess they just had a siphon life attack or whatever. i think the biggest buff though is controlling ANY unit for 10 seconds, like carriers and such which is much more helpful than just biological.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
watervengeance said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VubdAHs5kPo

Awesome Cheesy Terran strategy. :lol

a couple of the maps have high yield on high ground blocked off - terran would start off with enemy confused, and be able to catch up and pass even with the move. yikes.

it's something i never thought of with the blocked off passages. definitely would turn the terran player into the favorite

Zzoram

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah...it's going to be a huge issue if don't give any way to host a low latency match over LAN for competitive play.

I wonder if the lack of any extremely difficult micro in the game is a result of them knowing that the lag is too much for such micro to work anyways.

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah...it's going to be a huge issue if don't give any way to host a low latency match over LAN for competitive play.
I highly doubt it will be something Blizzard plans to overlook for the final product.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
I wonder if the lack of any extremely difficult micro in the game is a result of them knowing that the lag is too much for such micro to work anyways.
I think any mirror match up is pretty micro heavy. PvP from what I've seen especially.

I heard some people notice the input delay, some don't, and some say lower settings make it more responsive.

civilstrife said:
Since when does anyone plan to overlook anything?
Yeah, I knew someone would say something about that. You know what the hell I mean. It's not something that they will overlook. They don't plan on overlooking anything.

Zzoram said:

I think it's pretty early to say that there's any kind of lack of micro in SC2 when most people don't even know how to handle all the units in the game yet.

TheExodu5

Banned
FromTheFuture said:
I highly doubt it will be something Blizzard plans to overlook for the final product.

They're with Activision now. I wouldn't put it past them to sacrifice competitive allure to try to prevent piracy through Hamachi and private servers. =\

(not saying that's the case...I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised)

celebi23

Kinda bizarre that the first patch is out & there is still no Mac client :lol Anyone know of any other legit Beta Key giveaways? Trying to cover my bases a bit :lol

celebi23 said:
Kinda bizarre that the first patch is out & there is still no Mac client :lol Anyone know of any other legit Beta Key giveaways? Trying to cover my bases a bit :lol
Hopefully it will be out soon, I just wish I could register both my Mac and my PC to the my Battle.Net account.

KuroNeeko

TheExodu5 said:
They're with Activision now.

And this is the big stinker.

At the beginning of the merger, they pretty much assured everyone that the two devs would continue to act independently of each other.

With the loss of LAN matches in MW2 (and the ensuing kaka storm that it generated) I'm sure that SC players are a bit concerned over how it's going to play out.

To be honest, I can't see them supporting LAN matches for tournaments without allowing everyone to host LAN matches because they'd basically be admitting that Battle.net is not capable of providing high level play (which would be a reality if input lag remains.) Unless they have a way of normalizing that delay so that everyone suffers it to the same degree...then it'd just be a matter of having to get used to it.

To be honest, we're living in the age of input delays and lag. It'll probably come down to how they choose to mask / minimize the delay they have now. No guarantees that SC2 is going to be the next competitive online sport - at least not until they do something about this.

Top Bottom