• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

traveler

Not Wario
I've been getting a lot better with the hotkeys for shortcuts like building, but I'm still having trouble with control groups, especially past 1-3. Reaching my pointer finger out to hit 4 and 5 just feels unnatural and it doesn't help that I never was taught numbers in typing, so I have a tendency to revert to hunting and pecking as soon as I try to press a number key. :lol

Door2Dawn

Banned
traveler said:
I've been getting a lot better with the hotkeys for shortcuts like building, but I'm still having trouble with control groups, especially past 1-3. Reaching my pointer finger out to hit 4 and 5 just feels unnatural and it doesn't help that I never was taught numbers in typing, so I have a tendency to revert to hunting and pecking as soon as I try to press a number key. :lol
Just be like the rest of us scrubs and click click click!

Getting better and better with Terran...still haven't won a game yet but I am getting closer and closer!

The game becomes more and more fun too. I can feel the addiction starting.

Hopefully there isn't a lot of time between the beta ending and final release!

Minsc

Gold Member
Freki said:
There is a working sandboxcrack now - vid seemed legit - supposed to be released in 1-2h - no ai though.
I think i practice bos ^^

edit: if this is inappropriate plz delete this post

Just FYI, you're much more likely simply to get banned if you post something against the ToS, than the mods editing your post and giving you another chance... there's probably exceptions, but if you aren't sure about something, you're better off simply not posting it.

I don't think discussion of the existence of a crack will get you banned, just don't post any links or tell people they/you are using it. And they/you shouldn't!

If anything hopefully whatever holes the hackers are using to get this working Blizzard will fix when it goes gold... c'mon Blizzard! :)

Sh1ner

Freki u can delete your own post under your username, its a good idea to do it even if the beta is not commerically available, the full game will be.

aznpxdd

Out of all the games I've played so far, there was only one game where I had to tech past MMM (rines, rauders, medivacs). All the other games its been cake...

Freki

Minsc said:
If anything hopefully whatever holes the hackers are using to get this working Blizzard will fix when it goes gold... c'mon Blizzard! :)

These holes are practicalley unimportant for the final version - i think best case scenario is gaming against ai and perhaps matches over hamachi - although i personally doubt that.
So a cracked version doesn't stand a chance against the official bnet when it comes to multiplayer in my opinion.

deathberry

Neo Member
Thanks Fragamemnon and mbmonk.

Starting with AI matches on the desert map, using Terrans. Once I have the initial build order down, I'll go 2v2; it's less harsh, and lasts more than 10 mins :p

I'm all up on Skittles and Mountain Dew, time to kick some ass!

aznpxdd said:
Yeah, playing a cracked version of any Blizzard game is just dumb.
I know! Get a job, losers!

deathberry said:
I'm all up on Skittles and Mountain Dew, time to kick some ass!
haha I'm at work and all kinds of jealous of you. We should play together sometime, my name is Lamonster.zone (US) but I probably won't be online for a couple days.

aznpxdd said:
Yeah, playing a cracked version of any Blizzard game is just dumb.
Yeah, but you're playing beta so...

I thought BNETD was neat when they wouldn't take me in the WAR3 beta.

or the D2 beta.

or the Starcraft beta.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sh1ner said:
I've emailed coolshop, but I dunno who I should really contact them or blizzard.

I await their reply, I also think its the last digit in the group thats missing. Since its alphanumeric, I could guess it but I would assume battlenet would have some kind of flag on attemping to enter a slightly different key 30 odd times. :|

Just test it out in the Diablo 2 installer first.

As a Terran, how many SCVs should I create before building a supply depot/barracks/vespene gas? And which of those should I build first and second?

traveler

Not Wario
The Lamonster said:
As a Terran, how many SCVs should I create before building a supply depot/barracks/vespene gas? And which of those should I build first and second?

Depends on your build order and I'm certainly not your best source of info on this, but I always go 9 SCV- SD, 11 SCV- Rax, 13/14 SCV- Ref. From there on out, it's really build dependant, as I might attempt to go more Rax and Refineries for an early Reaper rush, go ahead and start teching up to air for banshees, or medivacs for M&M. Keep in mind, though, I'm copper league myself, having never gotten any good at the original.

syoaran

The Lamonster said:

At the moment I'm using all SCV until 9/11 on minerals, the 10th builds a supply depo and the 11th builds first vesp gas, after supply depo is done you should have the minerals for barracks.

garath

So how does the ladder system work? I saw someone mention placement matches. I assume you are assigned a ladder after your "placement". Can you retry to move up later? A general overview of it would be nice. I'm very curious about the competitive aspect of it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Victrix said:
Playing Terran requires an addiction to mashing 'A' nonstop for 10-30 minutes
Protoss requires mashing 'E' for 60 minutes then :lol
garath said:
So how does the ladder system work? I saw someone mention placement matches. I assume you are assigned a ladder after your "placement". Can you retry to move up later? A general overview of it would be nice. I'm very curious about the competitive aspect of it.
You play 10 practice matches which puts you in a league (Gold,Silver,etc.) and a Division within that league (100 players).

However you can play people outside your division AND league. Say if you were a Gold and lost to a Silver player... Say bye bye to 17 points. On the other hand it will tell you who is favored, etc. More points for beating harder players. Also lose less to losing to harder players.

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqR6G4i03D8

DemiMatt

Trasher said:
http://www.justin.tv/evaxephon#r=1wDYI0k~

This dude is always on streaming like 24/7 I swear. Yet he never gets better. :lol

This guys is friggin terrible....and...
he sound korean...

GG's to all who played last night. Eggs and Beacon got better...friggin detectors! jk :p

Taught Gribbix how to play some. Ill be home ~ 7-8pm PST today, LMK if you want to play, mainly looking for 2v2 AT, I play toss. LMK demi.demi

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
The Lamonster said:
I go barracks at 9 scvs, SD at 11, and upgrade to orbital command as soon as the barracks pops. The SD should pop about the same time, so you can immediately pop marines. I build my vespene soon after that, regardless of strat.

The Lamonster said:
What does the A button do for Terran players?
Marines.

DemiMatt

BTW, when I registered for the beta it scanned my comp, I recently reformatted and am wondering if I made a new account and re-registered under a diff name with diff games, would my comp show up in their systems twice and be flagged or what? Anyone got any ideas? The other key would go to a gaffer.

aznpxdd

Yeah the new hotkeys really threw me off. I'm so used to some of the old hotkeys for SC1. Even probes aren't "P" anymore, wtf?

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
aznpxdd said:
Yeah the new hotkeys really threw me off. I'm so used to some of the old hotkeys for SC1. Even probes aren't "P" anymore, wtf?
They've moved most (all?) hotkeys to the left side of the keyboard. It through me off at first too, but now that I'm used to it, it's a clear improvement.

Zzoram

Telosfortelos said:
They've moved most (all?) hotkeys to the left side of the keyboard. It through me off at first too, but now that I'm used to it, it's a clear improvement.

It means you don't have to move your hand awkwardly to hit all the hotkeys.

garath

Hazaro said:
You play 10 practice matches which puts you in a league (Gold,Silver,etc.) and a Division within that league (100 players).

However you can play people outside your division AND league. Say if you were a Gold and lost to a Silver player... Say bye bye to 17 points. On the other hand it will tell you who is favored, etc. More points for beating harder players. Also lose less to losing to harder players.

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqR6G4i03D8

Thanks!

I can't watch the youtube at this moment, but one more question. Do you ever move up (or down) leagues? Or is a copper player forever stuck in copper lol.

Zzoram

garath said:
Thanks!

I can't watch the youtube at this moment, but one more question. Do you ever move up (or down) leagues? Or is a copper player forever stuck in copper lol.

If you keep winning games then you can move up a league. If you keep losing games, you can go down a league. Copper will remain the lowest, so after playing enough games, all the noobs should work their way down to Copper and stay there. That is how Blizzard will ensure a noob-friendly online environment, although it will take them quite a few beatings to get placed there.

If you want to guarantee placement in the Copper league, purposely lose all 10 placement matches.

garath

Zzoram said:
If you keep winning games then you can move up a league. If you keep losing games, you can go down a league. Copper will remain the lowest, so after playing enough games, all the noobs should work their way down to Copper and stay there. That is how Blizzard will ensure a noob-friendly online environment, although it will take them quite a few beatings to get placed there.

If you want to guarantee placement in the Copper league, purposely lose all 10 placement matches.

Sounds like they have a pretty good system in place. Thanks for the info.

deathberry said:
So after 20 or so matches in various 1v1 and 2v2 matches, I've won only one 1v1 match coz the player kept on disconnecting and eventually timed out. On the 2v2 side I also won just once coz my partner was insane. I maybe lucked out and got teamed up with one of the top level players.

Anyways, I haven't played SC before, and I'm starting by playing competitive multiplayer, so I was ready for the slaugherfest. Here's the thing though, the last time I played competitive RTS was Age of Empires II for 1v1 matches, or World in Conflict for 8v8 matches. Basically, I like to take things slow, build base + defense, then my army and then go to enemy.

I hate all this backstabbing and multiple base building. Fuck this shit with sending in probes and building in my backyard when Im too focused to tech up. In fact, by the time I start building my soldiers, the opposition just overwhelms me (albeit with a handful of units too).

I tried playing against AI and the only option was for Very Easy. It just didn't have the urgency or tension of live matches, so I didn't bother. Right now I'm learning as I go through live matches, but fuck me this shit is hard!

I tried Protoss coz they have the +50% build boost for all buildings, but I still cant use them (or even Terrans) effectively. Haven't tried Zerg coz their unit builds and tech tree is even more obscure than the Protoss, should probably stick with Terrans for the time being.

Is there someone decent who wants to play along and semi-mentor me? Or just a bunch of ultra-nubs like me who wanna play together?

reading this, it's like im schizo and you are writing this while im completely unaware. I felt the EXACT same way when I started the first day of beta, I raged really hard against having to get my ass handed to me over and over, and basically gave up and just played AI, and barely played any for a while after I got bored of the insanely easy AI.

See the thing was, I was still overwhelmingly interested in SC2 and basically read every intriguing post on the official SC2 beta forums and team liquid forums. Then, you know what I did? I played multiple games against the AI while trying to be very rush-centered and working on my build order.

So although I still trip up from time to time, my build order is basically SCVs/drones/probes NONSTOP until you at least get 2 guys per crystal. keep the rally set to the crystal, and when you move to gas, just take 3 guys from your crystals and set them to gas so as to not waste any time. After you get to 16 guys for a group of 8 crystals (it's always 8) yuo can even STILL keep creating them, and start thinking about expansions.

very important in the early game is to get supply depots etc out at the exact correct time to keep SCVs being produced. Every second counts in the beginning when you're trying to keep yourself well defended against rushes. One thing that works well for me as terran is a depot straight into a barracks, although I know thats a common build order. Make sure to get an orbital command asap and get mules out, but I personally like the insta-supply depot for when my pumps get stuck because of bad build orders.

I hated zerg at first, mainly because of how much they changed since SC1, but once you get used to nonstop using spawn larva you get a huge advantage against scrubby players. One thing I like to do as any race is to hotkey ALL hatch/cc/nexus to ctrl-0 and check their status that way. Especially with zerg, as I can rally all my hatches to 0 and then when I try to create units from larva, i can have ALL the larva selected without even looking at my base, like during an attack....i.e: good macro. Plus, what I usually then am able to tell is based on how many hatches I have, I can see how many larva are available, and if it's alot, guess what I need to go do to every hatch (sometimes 4 or more)? SPAWN LARVA BLAAAAAAR DO IT EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY.

Anyways, When you're very new to the competitive aspect like I was and like you described, I'd stick with matchmaking either random or with an arranged partner that you know can hold his own reasonably well. Here's what I'd start doing which doesn't take much intricate strategy whatsoever. You basically tell your teammate to take marines and marauders, or lots and stalks, or some roaches and lings, and then you, as terran with reapers or toss with stalkers maybe with blink (may be a high tech for blink) or some void rays, or zerg with mutas or something, its pretty much easiest with terran and their reapers. Anyways, what you do is wait for your teammate to attack like he's just doing a slow attack at their choke, trying to do what he can. Here's the thing though, what you're waiting for is the teammate to come help with his (likely) ground units, and then you rush in with your reapers and destroy his workers and CC, maybe even a few key buildings.

What I like most about that strategy is not that its the most effective strat in the world, but it doesnt take a LOT of effort in order to pull off and usually spells the end of the game against most teams because now you're much ahead. Make sure also in ANY situation that you dont just throw units away, this seems to be one of the most important things to do when you're trying to improve. If you have a lot of zealots and attack a zerg but he counters with roaches, just run away. Better to then come back with 6 stalkers plus the 8 zealots that you didnt throw away rather than just those 6 stalkers.

That's all I got for now but hopefully it helps.

coopolon

Telosfortelos said:

This is actually a really good idea. At first I was little upset considering I'm slowly playing through SC1 right and learning the hotkeys, but it's true, having hotkeys on the right side of they keyboard is not good.

Vitet

Hey, what are the common hotkeys in the zerg? I play the spanish beta and I think it's a bit messed up.

select Larva is "L" / seleccionar Larva o_O
Zergling "Z" / Zergling
roAch "A" / cucarachA
Drone "D" / zángano
queen "R" / Reina
Overlord "O" / superamO

Ice Monkey said:
dude. I am in the same position as deathberry so this post really helps. Thanks!

Vitet said:
Hey, what are the common hotkeys in the zerg? I play the spanish beta and I think it's a bit messed up.

select Larva is "L" / seleccionar Larva o_O
Zergling "Z" / Zergling
roAch "A" / cucarachA
Drone "D" / zángano
queen "R" / Reina
Overlord "O" / superamO
I'd like to see a list of Terran hotkeys as well. Plz and thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
deathberry said:
So after 20 or so matches in various 1v1 and 2v2 matches, I've won only one 1v1 match coz the player kept on disconnecting and eventually timed out. On the 2v2 side I also won just once coz my partner was insane. I maybe lucked out and got teamed up with one of the top level players.

Anyways, I haven't played SC before, and I'm starting by playing competitive multiplayer, so I was ready for the slaugherfest. Here's the thing though, the last time I played competitive RTS was Age of Empires II for 1v1 matches, or World in Conflict for 8v8 matches. Basically, I like to take things slow, build base + defense, then my army and then go to enemy.

Is there someone decent who wants to play along and semi-mentor me? Or just a bunch of ultra-nubs like me who wanna play together?
I suggest playing Zerg and playing defensively while going 1 or 2 hatch hydra / muta. (Roach timing is more of a rush)

Get your 2 gas early and try to gain the expansion just outside your base. If you re not comfortable with this you can tech on 1 base to hydra/muta (just build your second hatchery inside your ramp).

Just try to always spend your minerals. If you keep finding yourself with excess minerals (you'll want to save gas for mutalisks) go back in your replay and see where you could have spent them.

delirium

There's now a cracked version of the beta that lets to basically play around (sandbox). No AI yet. I'm not telling you where it is, but resourceful people won't have any trouble finding it.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
deathberry said:

I hate all this backstabbing and multiple base building. Fuck this shit with sending in probes and building in my backyard when Im too focused to tech up. In fact, by the time I start building my soldiers, the opposition just overwhelms me (albeit with a handful of units too).

I tried playing against AI and the only option was for Very Easy. It just didn't have the urgency or tension of live matches, so I didn't bother. Right now I'm learning as I go through live matches, but fuck me this shit is hard!

I tried Protoss coz they have the +50% build boost for all buildings, but I still cant use them (or even Terrans) effectively. Haven't tried Zerg coz their unit builds and tech tree is even more obscure than the Protoss, should probably stick with Terrans for the time being.

I'll actually recommend playing either terran or protoss first (I'd recommend terran, but base defense can be a little tricky, I suppose).

I think most people struggling at the copper bracket are largely having a hard time managing their economy. It can be quite the trick to balance building workers and buildings with making sure you have a suitably large force.

Here's my advice: build probes/scvs constantly. Don't queue a bunch (that wastes minerals), just make sure as soon as one goes out, you have another in production. Use your excess funds to build marines, zealots, or stalkers. When you get to the point where you're constantly building scvs/probes and marines, zealots, or stalkers and you still have excess minerals, build another building, either to allow you to build more marines/zealots/stalkers, or to build something one tier above.

The single most important thing as you learn to play online is to make sure you're constantly building those workers. I don't recommend zerg, because zerg players simply can't constantly build drones while also building units. The economy is a great deal trickier for a zerg player.

Edit: and watch replays. Lots of replays.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Telosfortelos said:
I'll actually recommend playing either terran or protoss first (I'd recommend terran, but base defense can be a little tricky, I suppose).The single most important thing as you learn to play online is to make sure you're constantly building those workers. I don't recommend zerg, because zerg players simply can't constantly build drones while also building units. The economy is a great deal trickier for a zerg player.

Edit: and watch replays. Lots of replays.
That's another approach. Protoss is a lot easier to manage since you won't end up using SCV's to build and you are managing less units.

I mentioned Zerg because he's bound to win a lot of games that way :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Mindlog said:
Is it just straight grid keys?

That would have been the best way to go imo.

It's not just straight grid, and that makes it confusing IMO. Some hotkeys correspond to the units names, some are seemingly arbitrary but are in reach on the left side of the keyboard, and others are just on other keys (I recall an M hotkey for something...). It doesn't make much sense...just gonna have to learn them.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Is there an easy way for a patrol hotkey? I hate moving my forces and going offscreen at my base and realize they just got owned without putting up a fight. P is too far away lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SteveO409 said:
Is there an easy way for a patrol hotkey? I hate moving my forces and going offscreen at my base and realize they just got owned without putting up a fight. P is too far away lol
Ctrl+Click is attack move.

or 'A'+click

If you use Patrol that will make them return to where you send the command from. Also if you rally units to a unit that engages in a fight they will also be set on 'attack move'.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Hazaro said:
Ctrl+Click is attack move.

or 'A'+click

If you use Patrol that will make them return to where you send the command from. Also if you rally units to a unit that engages in a fight they will also be set on 'attack move'.

you just made my starcraft experience 10 times better

Trasher

Someone made a thread for this, but I figured I would let those in here know since some of you are trying to buff up your Battle.net accounts haha.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~cabcat0700000%23%23c%23%231xb~~cabcat0712000%23%23a%23%23fn~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~nf396||4f6e2053616c65&list=y&nrp=15&sc=gameToySP&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&usc=abcat0700000

20 dollars for Warcraft and Diablo chests. Free shipping apparently too.

Zzoram

The Lamonster said:
Is it weird to you guys that I still play Burbenog TD almost every night with my buddy?

(WarCraft III mod)

Nope, I love Warcraft III TDs. I particularly like Burbenog but I can't host and it's only possible with 4 people. Mind if I join you guys some time? What server/time/timezone?

Zzoram

Trasher said:
Someone made a thread for this, but I figured I would let those in here know in case they don't see it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~cabcat0700000%23%23c%23%231xb~~cabcat0712000%23%23a%23%23fn~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~nf396||4f6e2053616c65&list=y&nrp=15&sc=gameToySP&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&usc=abcat0700000

20 dollars for Warcraft and Diablo chests.

So cheap. I paid CDN$75 for Diablo II and CDN$50 for Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.

Top Bottom