• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

I'm loving 2v2 right now. I'm playing with with my buddy Nick (who used to be on the Idle Thumbs podcast with me) and we're working our way up our ladder division. It's only the copper ladder, but we've won three of our last four games since completing our placement matches and we're up to 31st place I believe. The way the ladder tracks specific pairs of people adds a lot. It really provides a great incentive to develop a good feel for another player's strategy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Chris Remo said:
I'm loving 2v2 right now. I'm playing with with my buddy Nick (who used to be on the Idle Thumbs podcast with me) and we're working our way up our ladder division. It's only the copper ladder, but we've won three of our last four games since completing our placement matches and we're up to 31st place I believe. The way the ladder tracks specific pairs of people adds a lot. It really provides a great incentive to develop a good feel for another player's strategy.
Now say if you started playing 2v2 with a different friend... What happens to your rankings?

TheExodu5

Banned
Hazaro said:
Right... so do you get a new ranking for each partner you play with?

Yep. There might be a random team placement/ranking as well though (when you play 2v2 without choosing a partner beforehand).

TheExodu5 said:
Yep. There might be a random team placement/ranking as well though (when you play 2v2 without choosing a partner beforehand).
Definitely the most likely scenario, as it's how they handled it in WC3. Worked fine there, except for poor matchmaking, but I have no doubt they'll make it top notch this time around; they've been talking about how great their new system is all the time.

Someone recently posted a .zip file of a bunch of Terran replays by a guy who is extremely good...I've been watching them and they really are top-notch.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, you should re-post it for the current page because it's so awesome.

chris-013 said:
Terran replay pack

One of the best Terran player and he is working at Blizzard as a QA.
edit: found it!

The way warcraft 3 did it was there were ladders for arranged team (2v2/3v3/4v4) and separate ladders for random team (2v2/3v3/4v4) So I'm sure starcraft will likely follow the same regime.

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
ahoyhoy said:
2v2 is the best way to play the game, period. Executing perfectly orchestrated attacks is a lot more fun with a partner, and mixing races gives you access to greater strategy combinations.

THIS.

2v2 may not have been spectacular in Brood War, but it looks to be one of the most competitive matchups in StarCraft 2.

It was the best game mode in WarCraft III by far, and judging by recent VOD's, SC2 AT is gonna be a beast. The WC3 community's obsession with 1v1 play is puzzling especially considering how blatantly unbalanced (and stale) solo has been for years. If anything, 2v2 is considerably more competitive. 1v1 is more about regurgitation and cookie cutting than strategy or metagame. The team modes in WC3 have always been dismissed by neckbeards as "scrub modes", but I think they have the potential for more high skill and evolution than the current 1v1 scene can ever hope for.

Hopefully StarCraft 2's competitive scene will not make the same mistake.

Yaweee

JonAmikar said:
THIS.

2v2 may not have been spectacular in Brood War, but it looks to be one of the most competitive matchups in StarCraft 2.

It was the best game mode in WarCraft III by far, and judging by recent VOD's, SC2 AT is gonna be a beast. The WC3 community's obsession with 1v1 play is puzzling especially considering how blatantly unbalanced (and stale) solo has been for years. If anything, 2v2 is considerably more competitive. 1v1 is more about regurgitation and cookie cutting than strategy or metagame. The team modes in WC3 have always been dismissed by neckbeards as "scrub modes", but I think they have the potential for more high skill and evolution than the current 1v1 scene can ever hope for.

Hopefully StarCraft 2's competitive scene will not make the same mistake.

Though I don't think that Team games "have the potential for more high skill" than 1v1 in either game, I do agree that Warcraft 3 was a much better game than Starcraft for both team games and Free For Alls.

Zzoram said:
A big concern of the Battle.net2 match making system is map balance. Korean pro maps were always designed to ensure no/minimal positional imbalance, so you aren't punished for getting a bad starting position. Blizzard on the other hand had positional imbalances in basically all their maps. You would get definite advantages for starting in certain spots, such as closer vespene gas geyser at your natural (some naturals in The Hunters didn't even have gas, and for others it was prohibitively far away), minerals closer to you, or minerals facing the edge of the map to make it harder to drop behind them.

This is my biggest concern going forward. Blizzards maps honestly are just not that great. Desert Oasis, for example, has a natural expansion with two huge open entrances far, far away from the actual mineral line and your starting position ramp. So Zerg can just dump creep everywhere and be able to defend both, but protoss/terran have no real way of effectively defending both sides (and things get worse with nydus worms).

Blistering Sands, another 2-player map, has wide back entrances to the main base with like 2000 HP armored. That's like, barely more than a command center. Similar back entrances on Korean maps (temples on HBR or Medusa, for example) would take splash damage units and would take much, much longer to bring down, giving you time to move your army to chase off the attacker-and even then the ramp wouldn't go right into your main, only into a back natural or what not.

Oh, and the Blizzard maps are really, really small in comparison with Korean maps, so the punishment for losing a fight midmap or at the other guy's base is huge since you will get counterattacked immediately and not have any defense even if you macro perfectly while attacking. This leads to both sides building up armies and not much engaging until one side clearly thinks it has an advantage.

This beta would be 1000% better if there were SC2 versions of maps like Destination, Othello, Fighting Spirit, etc., huge 128x128 maps with third bases that were more easy to secure that didn't feel like such cagematches as the Blizzard maps do. Being stuck on Blizzard's map for official ladder play would totally blow for this reason and I'm worried that at release we'll be forced to play on these (worse) maps instead of Korean style big macro maps that play such a huge role in defining modern BW and would go a long way in making SC2 feel and play more like BW and less like WC3.

TheExodu5

Banned
As a Zerg player, I still don't find Protoss to be of any real threat...roaches are just so damned good against their early game. I guess if they actually manages to pull off an immortal rush I might be in trouble.

aznpxdd

TheExodu5 said:
As a Zerg player, I still don't find Protoss to be of any real threat...roaches are just so damned good against their early game. I guess if they actually manages to pull off an immortal rush I might be in trouble.

Yep, roach + micro shits on early toss units.

Other than being able to take more damage with their shields, Immortals aren't exactly great against roaches are they? I only see them having huge attack bonuses on armored units.

TheExodu5

Banned
aznpxdd said:
Yep, roach + micro shits on early toss units.

Other than being able to take more damage with their shields, Immortals aren't exactly great against roaches are they? I only see them having huge attack bonuses on armored units.

Roaches are armored units.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
some probably stupid questions:
are they planning an open beta?
will it be for mac?

and also, where's a good place to watch vids of some beta matches?

Ashhong said:
howii

anybody else that doesnt mind a noob feel free to add me
You need to give the extra identifier too

I'm cajolejuice.gafbore, feel free to add me. I am at the bottom of the GAF ladder, I feel.

Jabronie

Neo Member
pedr0theli0n said:
some probably stupid questions:
are they planning an open beta?
will it be for mac?

and also, where's a good place to watch vids of some beta matches?
mac? As a Blizzard game I'd say most definitely.

Other than youtube? While I hopelessly wait for a beta key I froth at the mouth watching live streams. A good collection of them can be found at http://www.teamliquid.net/sc2/

Ashhong

CajoleJuice said:
You need to give the extra identifier too

I'm cajolejuice.gafbore, feel free to add me. I am at the bottom of the GAF ladder, I feel.

hm, ill have to figure out what that is lol

Mindlog

With some of the 1a type micro concerns...

I'd like to see a mod where players can 1 vs 1 in a 2v2 setting.
For extra fun the economies are not shared.

There would be less than a dozen people that could play it well, but it would be mind blowing.

it would work well with Surface 3.0

Here is my comeback in what was a 2v1 after my partner got taken out really early.

I added lame commentary cuz you know I'm cool and thats the cool kids club way to do it these days.

Thankfully you can't hear me during fights and my lame voice.. so apologies for anyone that actually cares..

I resource harass a lot which ends up winning me the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvhwSIPd6Lo - pt 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjyLqq3BDPw - pt 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYIIOXUvEPU - pt 3

I have a 2 hour video that I cut down to about 40 minutes with lots of sweet sweet SC2 sandbox loving that I am currently uploading to youtube right now. Figured I'd mention it since my zergling rush video was so damn popular, something like 180,000 views so far.

Here's a dumb list I put together explaining quickly what I did throughout the video as I tried to figure out how best to cut it up into pieces as per youtube idiocy :-D

0-6:35 destroy close protoss opponent
infestor a probe
build protoss base
defend with some zerglings

6:35-13:40 take forever using infestor to build a command center with an scv
start building terran base
gather excess units for slaughter

14:10-23:45 nuke every excess unit still on screen
build massive zergling army to destroy ffa opponents
mess with the close zergling burrowing
test out ghost sniping queues
build mothership
end with a vortex/nuke combo of the zergling army!

23:50-24:37 vortex and nuke closeup

24:37-31:00 nuke some more zerglings
255 zergling pathing fun up and down ramps
patrols
PSIONIC STORM on zergling army

31:00-end nydus worm in zergling army
255 cracklings nydus conga line
vortex/mothership in nydus path
exit cracklings from nydus
huge baneling creation
burrowed baneling explosion
255 banelings moving
baneling conga line
baneling zig zag queue points from nydus conga line
6 nuke baneling explosion

TurtleSnatcher said:
Anyone wanna do some 2v2s?

maybe but im uploading to youtube so i fear my connection will be hilariously bad

i just watched your videos, that was quite hilarious how they just kept on losing battle after battle. The toss guy could have raped you with one observer! lololol

fanboi

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Here is my comeback in what was a 2v1 after my partner got taken out really early.

I added lame commentary cuz you know I'm cool and thats the cool kids club way to do it these days.

Thankfully you can't hear me during fights and my lame voice.. so apologies for anyone that actually cares..

Have seen pt1... interesting.

Your friend is also new? Since he didn't block the entrance with barracks/supplydepos.
Pt2 coming up!

fanboi said:
Have seen pt1... interesting.

Your friend is also new? Since he didn't block the entrance with barracks/supplydepos.
Pt2 coming up!
Yea hes not big into walling in.. He never did it in WC2 either.. :lol He will now!

I just had a great FFA where I sat back and came in for the kill at the end. Let me tell you.. Brood Lords were used in mass to break through a massive turtler! :) And lotsa nydus worms. I may upload that as well.

Chris Remo said:
Won another few games today and we landed at 20th place after a high of 15th place.

God I just want to play it all the time!

Chris Remo said:
Won another few games today and we landed at 20th place after a high of 15th place.

God I just want to play it all the time!

thats what I don't get about sc2 ladder, you just won a few games and went down from 15th to 20th? I've heard a couple others who've gone down after winning. Doesnt make sense.

Zzoram

Ice Monkey said:
thats what I don't get about sc2 ladder, you just won a few games and went down from 15th to 20th? I've heard a couple others who've gone down after winning. Doesnt make sense.

It does if everyone else around you was winning more points and passing you.

Ice Monkey said:
We won several games in a row then sadly lost two in a row. We still won more than we lost, so on balance, we ended up higher than we were yesterday.

That said, we also lost ranks from yesterday during the 20 hours or so we weren't playing, because other people were moving up around us.

And while it hasn't happened to us, it's completely feasible you could lose ranks even after winning, particularly in a very competitive division, because other people near your rank are winning faster than you are. It's all in real-time.

Arzehn

TurtleSnatcher said:

Good job. :D but is there anything you can spend those minerals on? I noticed you had a ton but you weren't making anything cause you had no gas... :p

Also in the future you should turn the sound down on the game I couldn't hear you speak during the battles.

What league are you in?

P.S: Burrow movement is nuts. <_<

Top Bottom