• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

fanboi

Banned
what I feel is strange is that very few seems to have detectors early in the game... which feels strange since a lot of the units are invisible...

Anomarad said:
Good job. :D but is there anything you can spend those minerals on? I noticed you had a ton but you weren't making anything cause you had no gas... :p

Also in the future you should turn the sound down on the game I couldn't hear you speak during the battles.

What league are you in?

P.S: Burrow movement is nuts. <_<
I know that about the sound.. I even noted it in my description on all the videos.

Ive been mainly doing custom games with a few friends but have just started playing some ladder.. still in placement matches though.

I honestly guess I could have made like Lings or something? I just get distracted when I attack that I just always build up some sort of stock pile. unfortunately giving control to your partner does not allow them to spend money :(

KuroNeeko

TurtleSnatcher said:
Here is my comeback in what was a 2v1 after my partner got taken out really early.

Thanks for the replay. It was a lot of fun, especially since I've always been a Zerg player.

Just some thoughts I had while watching...

1) Stop apologizing for having your graphic settings on less than Ultra and having some dropped frames. We're lucky you took the time out to post it regardless of quality. Plus, the quality was fine as is.

2) I've never uploaded anything to YouTube before - but could you have compressed the three files into two? I see some people trying to keep their clips under 10 minutes and so but looks like you might have been able to do it here. Not sure though.

3) Don't feel like you have to fast-forward to the "good parts". Granted you only did it once in the beginning but I didn't feel like you had to.

4) Stop worry about how your voice sounds. It's fine, dood!

Man, the TurtleSnatcher in the SC2 thread is a whole different animal than the one in the SF thread.

Seriously though, thanks for the upload and nice win. Looking forward to watching more of your replays!

Hah I'm like that.

Ill upload a FFA one I had tonight tomorrow.

I couldnt compress it into 2 because total video length was about 24 minutes so it would have to be 3.

In the FFA one I will fast forward a lot.. I totally turtle and build nothing and bank on the fact no one would attack me.. which worked.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Chris Remo said:
Won another few games today and we landed at 20th place after a high of 15th place.

God I just want to play it all the time!

So we can expect a lot of talk about your SC2 experience on the next idle thumbs? That would be great :D

The game scares me as much as SC1 did. I'm not a "fast" player, i'm the idiot who sits back and just builds up resources only to get his ass kicked and i wonder why. When i watch the pros play it's like, oh yea that's not too bad, i can sort of see what he is doing. When i try and repeat it i just sit there frozen unable to do anything :lol

Got into a silver bracket today, and won my first match in it...only to lose my next four or five lol. Way more rushing goes on, and if you're too distracted you can get owned by air units pretty quickly.

Any zerg tips? I basically go roaches (burrowing into people's expansions usually works as well) early and move to hydras as soon as I can.

TheExodu5

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Got into a silver bracket today, and won my first match in it...only to lose my next four or five lol. Way more rushing goes on, and if you're too distracted you can get owned by air units pretty quickly.

Any zerg tips? I basically go roaches (burrowing into people's expansions usually works as well) early and move to hydras as soon as I can.

Not that I can give many tips as I'm not even placed yet, but I think you'll either be doing Roaches -> Hydras (if they go air) or Roach -> Hydras otherwise. Hydras can fill out the back rows of your army for extra DPS once you get more ranged upgrades, but I don't think they're worth it over Roaches mid-game for ground combat. Roaches are cheaper and more survivable, even though they deal a bit less damage. In any case, your bread n' butter the entire game will be Roaches regardless of your opponents tactics (well, unless they go full Zealots or something). Finish off the turtlers with a few Broodlords (3-4 should be enough to take out their base as long as they don't have significant air-to-air).

edit: also, early pressure is key. Keep them pumping out ground where you have the advantage with Roaches. Your only threat is Siege Tanks (Immortals can be taken out with Zerglings pretty easily).

Also, a lot of Zerg players seem to rely only on Roach spam. You've surely got tons of spare minerals to spare (as gas will be in short supply). Pump out all the Zerglings you can with those spare minerals. They're not great on their own, but they fill an army out very nicely. Don't neglect your melee upgrades...makes a world of difference to Zergling damage.

Minsc

Gold Member
evlcookie said:
Yea that's impressive stuff. Just amazing.

Well, going by the results of the Dawn of War Skirmish AI mod, you'll find the community to do a vastly better job at coding AI than the game developers, so I'm not surprised at all that it is improving, nor would I be surprised if upon the game's release the custom AI >>>>>>>>>>> game's AI. That was the case in Dawn of War, and it was so glaringly obvious so, that I now seriously doubt any game developer, even Blizzard, could code better AI than the gaming community.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Huahua, Lumi (Starcraft Method) got demoted to Gold League and will apparently be cheesing the fuck out of people until he gets back to Platinum. This should be entertaining.

fanboi

Banned
EviLore said:
Huahua, Lumi (Starcraft Method) got demoted to Gold League and will apparently be cheesing the fuck out of people until he gets back to Platinum. This should be entertaining.

How did he get demoted? To bad? To "inactive"?

Shaoren said:
Anyone knows good Terran builds ? or other strategies like that ?

Which matchup?

Against Protoss I've been going: fast ghost, stim, and marauder and marines, getting an early expansion w/ bunkers.

If they go one base play and try to bust your natural expansion, repair spam your turrets, EMP all their stuff with ghosts, and then chase them down with stimmed M&M. If they meet your expansion with one of their own, tech to medivacs, scout with factory, if they go colossus wait for vikings to snipe them, if they go high templar move out ASAP with 2 ghosts for EMP.

Other fun builds include a proxy two-port banshee after showing marauders (they go immortals and get wrecked), and will go mech on certain maps with abusable cliffs and easy splitting of the map ( Scrap Station, which, like the classic BW map Destination in TvZ, has these features). Either way the entire matchup is very dependent on getting off the clutch EMP, which has a too-large radius currently and trashes Protoss.

Against Zerg, I still like the +1/stim marine/marauder timing push that I've been using since I started playing beta. You get three barracks, one with tech lab for stim research, one with a reactor, and one more, and you pump from those bases and hit the zerg literally right when when +1 weapons and stim finishes. Usually it hits them before Lair gets going so they don't have hydras, and if they go mutas it's a total loss for them since +1 marines wreck mutas.

Against pure roach, just make sure to focus fire when you engage. Against ling/baneling, put your marauders up front so the banelings hit them and not the marines.

If they do go fast hatchery on a 2-player map, cut SCVs, put a bunker up with your scouting SCV right outside the range of sight-the hatchery does not have much sight range and you can usually get it up without them even knowing, after which case it's easy to get three marines in and leave some SCVs behind to repair. Losing an expansion hatchery that way is not the end of the world like it was in BW but you'll be so far ahead in economy due to the lost drone+minerals+dead lings used to try to save the hatchery that you can just do your build and throttle him with the same timing push.

Against Terran, again it's medic+marauder+marine with siege tank support (3-4 is a good number). A lot of people like to open reapers in TvT, if you just build a quick pair of marauders they stop the early reaper harass cold and put you way ahead in gas/units, making it easily possible to do an FE and get a good push together faster. Always push with tanks along Xel'Naga watchtowers for the visual range and abuse high ground as much as possible since the mechanic is such that tanks fired on from high ground can't fire back at all.

Be paranoid for 2-port banshee rushes w/ scan-turrets and vikings are great at stopping this-and if they turtle in their base just contain with tanks (denying any expansion) and expand again. You can either end it with good macro/Thors and a floating barracks for sight near their base or go into BCs, which only have other BCs as a counter in TvT (Thors do NOT counter BCs like goliaths+turrets did in BW, don't make that mistake).

I have the build orders I use by supply (10 supply,12 rax, 13 refinery, etc.) on my computer at home and can post later if you want.

rock elf

Neo Member
fanboi said:
what I feel is strange is that very few seems to have detectors early in the game... which feels strange since a lot of the units are invisible...
Zerg players in particular seem to be forgetting this far too often, and they're ripe for the picking.

oh and some top balance changes I'd like to see:

- reduction on EMP radius . It's so huge right now and is very difficult for Protoss to counter. Making it smaller would still make it very useful-I'd like it such that two EMPs a bit farther apart would have the same effect as one EMP in the center of those two points now.

- bring roach damage down from 16 to 12.

- remove the snare on marauders. This unit kicks enough ass already and is getting play in all matches due to its great effect against a lot of units and buildings along with its high HP and sharing of stim/upgrades with the Terran bio mineral sink, marines.

- Rework the Nydus Network completely. Getting all of the advantages of a BW doom drop without any real risk is ridiculous. It's actually really annoying to counter (sensor towers+vikings) and makes DT drop paranoia from BW seem tame in comparison.

- Warp gates allow warp ins not to the energy field, but to an area around any nexus OR to a field generated by a warp prism. Free infinite proxy gates anywhere really is as retarded as it sounds.

- Reduce the immortal +damage bonus against armored to +12 or +15 tops. The +30 it has right now results in completely degenerate unit that acts as a hard counter to any armor. It should be good against armor, not three shot a tank while taking no damage. FFS, this isn't Age of Empires. It also has a side effect of doing siege-tank like damage to buildings at a much higher rate of fire-again, it's completely degenerate.

fanboi said:
But Zergs have overlords (I hope they still detect?)...

Not without an overlord morphing to an Overseer (Lair tech). You can get spore crawler up before lair for detection if you have an evo chamber.

syoaran

Fragamemnon said:
oh and some top balance changes I'd like to see:

- remove the snare on marauders. This unit kicks enough ass already and is getting play in all matches due to its great effect against a lot of units and buildings along with its high HP and sharing of stim/upgrades with the Terran bio mineral sink, marines.

Problem is though that the Terran have got no natural defense aganist zealots then in the ground catagory. Maybe Stim's should be nerfed a little though for Maruders - that I can understand a little.

syoaran said:
Problem is though that the Terran have got no natural defense aganist zealots then in the ground catagory. Maybe Stim's should be nerfed a little though for Maruders - that I can understand a little.

It can always be an upgrade off of the tech lab for a small cost/research time, I suppose. Doubt anyone would get it then, that's the tradeoff.

The thing is that when you go bio as Terran, you create insane amounts of marines provided that you have decent macro due to the (kinda lame) MULE call down mechanic. You will always be able to outgather minerals versus a Protoss opponent. If the Protoss doesn't keep up with your attack upgrades , then the stim damage from the resulting marine clump literally evaporates them.

I don't think it would hurt too much in practice and it would help Protoss disengage after getting EMP'd in a fight a good bit better while still leaving the battle still decisively in Terran's favor.

Now that I think of it, just reducing the snare duration would also probably work.

Trasher

Is it true now that after the last patch that Terran are the most powerful now and that the Protoss got mega nerfed (aka mothership sucks now)?

Trasher said:
Is it true now that after the last patch that Terran are the most powerful now and that the Protoss got mega nerfed (aka mothership sucks now)?

Zerg > Protoss = Terran right now IMO.

Mothership isn't nearly the beast that it was but to be fair it was wild imba the way it used to be.

Has there been a third wave of beta invites yet? Looks like almost everyone has a key, siiigh.

bnet concurrent users/games being played has been steady for the last week .I don't think there has been any new wave recently.

syoaran

Trasher said:

Terrans are being aimed more about being mobile and setting up fast - new patch decreased the build time of structures. Still feels pretty balanced. I think they might be regretting putting the Mothership in, its like a hero unit in WC3 and they were a pain in the ass to balance right.

Terrans gather rate in the entry level of the game is pretty insane, but it feels like the game is balanced for that. All upgrades cost quite a bit of gas. So in 1v1 it feels pretty balanced, in 2v2 - two Terran players can very easily rush the enemy with a mass amount of marines - maybe even too much at the start of the game.

Zzoram

They really need to invite more people. My friend said it's down to 1990 people online and it now takes a full minute to find a game instead of 15 seconds. It's probably because he's Silver league and all the people who play constantly are in Gold/Platinum. The player base at the bottom is not very active and not very big.

Zzoram said:
They really need to invite more people. My friend said it's down to 1990 people online and it now takes a full minute to find a game instead of 15 seconds.

Was 3k at peak US PST times last night when I was logged in. It does dip under 2000 in the early morning hours.

Zzoram

Fragamemnon said:
Was 3k at peak US PST times last night when I was logged in. It does dip under 2000 in the early morning hours.

The strange thing is he was saying that it was peaking at 3000ish after the first wave of invites, but since wave 2, he hasn't noticed any change in the number of players online, only that the lows seem to have gotten lower.

Are those WoW Blizzcon 08 people simply not checking their emails or do they just not care?

Zzoram said:
The strange thing is he was saying that it was peaking at 3000ish after the first wave of invites, but since wave 2, he hasn't noticed any change in the number of players online, only that the lows seem to have gotten lower.

Are those WoW Blizzcon 08 people simply not checking their emails or do they just not care?

Probably back to playing WoW. :lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
syoaran said:
Terrans are being aimed more about being mobile and setting up fast - new patch decreased the build time of structures. Still feels pretty balanced. I think they might be regretting putting the Mothership in, its like a hero unit in WC3 and they were a pain in the ass to balance right.

Terrans gather rate in the entry level of the game is pretty insane, but it feels like the game is balanced for that. All upgrades cost quite a bit of gas. So in 1v1 it feels pretty balanced, in 2v2 - two Terran players can very easily rush the enemy with a mass amount of marines - maybe even too much at the start of the game.
orc bm is still OP

Calantus

Zzoram said:

Most probably went to Blizzcon for WoW, and probably never played Starcraft before, so it was just a little bonus. They got on and sucked at it and went back to WoW. That's what it seems anyway.

Calantus

syoaran said:

They could get rid of the mothership entirely if they wanted to, it's beta.

Zzoram

Calantus said:
They could get rid of the mothership entirely if they wanted to, it's beta.

As it stands, the mothership is just a buffed Arbiter. It's got all the same abilities now:

recall (more powerful now that units can clump together tighter)
cloaking units under it (the large mothership model itself can cover units beyond just cloaking them)
stasis (better animation, possibly wider radius)

The only difference is that the Mothership is large, has different animations, has more hitpoints, and possibly costs more.

FLEABttn

Banned
Zzoram said:

Neither, they haven't gotten invited. I know of more than one person who went to Blizzcon 08 and got a code and isn't in the SC2 beta.

Sh1ner

How do you guys know when beta invites have gone out? Or do you just hope someone will post in here if they get one?

Zzoram

FLEABttn said:
Neither, they haven't gotten invited. I know of more than one person who went to Blizzcon 08 and got a code and isn't in the SC2 beta.

Blizzard claimed wave 1 and wave 2 were primarily Blizzcon 08 people. If they still haven't gotten them all, they must be inviting in really small chunks.

Yaweee

syoaran said:

Don't Hellions mess zealots up bad? Firebats countered zealots easily in SC1.

Zzoram

Yaweee said:

Firebats+marines+medics vs zealots+dragoons in large numbers never really worked out somehow, even though it theoretically should have. Vultures with the spider mine upgrade were the real counter to zealots. Spidermines are gone and vultures and firebats got merged into a unit that still feels inferior because the spider mines were the true weapon.

aznpxdd

Huh? M&M in the first game easily rape zealots with some micro.

Once you upgrade vulture's speed, you don't even need spider mines to fight zealots. They literally can't touch you if you got some decent micro.

frag, have you looked at how insanely long it takes to exit units from a nydus?

If you're playing and dont notice the overseer scouting for nydus, dont notice the nydus itself in the 10 seconds it takes to spawn and cant FF the nydus after its built then I think the deal is that you screwed up, and it makes sense.

It feels OP at times, but you really have more than enough time to kill it. Look at my last new video on youtube to see exactly how long it takes to cycle through units from a nydus. On that note, all my new videos are now up:

THE ZERGHATTAN PROJECT!

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG0xICqwUzI
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjeOFkT-ngo
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VyVpaOrcwg
part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBVagLBuAk
part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6kHtSBZ8k
part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PieT5ibgKt0

As expected my HP 2510p laptop runs the game like shit & I dont want to waste cash on a new computer just yet. Is there any config changes I can make other than running the game on low?

Anybody know at what stage in the beta process Blizzard announced the release date for WarCraft III? I wonder when they will announce StarCraft 2's release date...

syoaran

Yaweee said:

En-mass, yeah - and if the Zealots dont have charge - if they do hellions are screwed. But against Protoss, Hellions are a terrible unit choice in my experience so far when you have Marauders - or going for fast tech, Banshee's.

As for taking out the Mothership - listening to the new Blizzcast I was wondering if they were referring to that. Protoss need a good end game unit, but its possible that the motherships just too hard to balance as multiplayer stands. Saying that, I've not had first hand experiance of the trouble with dealing with that unit - 4x cruisers took it out easily if I threw enough vikings to absorb the cruiser fire it almost always cloaks - marines come in to take out the cruisers backed up by a few Thor's in the end game.

rock elf

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the divisions within a league are ordered? This screenshot of the platinum league from a week ago suggests that there's no implied ordering in the division numbers. I mean, David Kim was in division 4.

In other news, I finally finished my placement matches with a 1-9 record. It's quite embarrassing. Naturally, I've been placed in the copper league.

Trasher said:
Has it been said yet when they will start implementing games larger than 2v2?

nope but It will almost certainly coincide with them adding 10k+ more players to the beta which is long overdue.

Top Bottom