• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Zzoram

Copper League is going to be a great place for noobs after the game has been out for about 1 month and everyone better has filtered up the leagues.

rock elf

Neo Member
Right now there are fewer than 2200 people on battle.net. A week ago that number would have been around the 3000 mark. It's a sign that those of us who have keys have finally stopped playing long enough to take showers and empty all the worryingly yellow bottles from around our desks. So, it stands to reason that Blizzard will want to bump those numbers up again.

Trasher

rock elf said:
Right now there are fewer than 2200 people on battle.net. A week ago that number would have been around the 3000 mark. It's a sign that those of us who have keys have finally stopped playing long enough to take showers and empty all the worryingly yellow bottles from around our desks. So, it stands to reason that Blizzard will want to bump those numbers up again.
If only Blizzard knew how consistent I could be for them. That number could be at 2201! :(

Mudkips

Banned
So I got a chance to play in teh betaz a bit.
For those of you clamoring to get in on the action - it's just StarCraft 3D.

It's great, sure, but it's not really anything fundamentally new.

If you're into all the new Bnet social / competitive features and such, the bulk of that is still locked away / unfinished. If you're into the story, none of that in the beta obviously. If you want them delicious custom maps/game modes/campaigns, that's gonna have to wait too.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mudkips said:

Which would still make it the best game of all time.

KuroNeeko

infinityBCRT said:
Thats different-- I'm talking about people who still have a fighting chance but give up anyway... and if you are in that situation it shouldn't take 10 minutes to finish you off.

This is what I was talking about. If you're entire army has been hard-countered and you have no expansions and the enemy has just wiped out your main force -- then conceding is fine. No problem with that.

It's when people lose a single fight and then just quit without saying anything because their initial tactic didn't work or they didn't get the win like they wanted. Watching people play they're like rush, rush, rush - fail, quit, rant "What a noob!"

If you lose, it's probably because you played worse than the other player or blindpicked the wrong unit. Thing is with strategy games, there's always the element of human error. You can still turn it around. I agree with InfinityBCRT, if you have a fighting chance then you should go for it. If you just want to farm points then you're really limiting your game.

Also, if you're going to play a human opponent then at least try to respect the other person playing. If you lose, at least give up the "gg" instead of rage quitting. If your team mate sucks, don't do what some other guy did yesterday and rage "Well, I'd like to say GG but my teammate really sucked." Chances are, everyone knew that without you having to say it. Instead of helping that guy out, strengthening his game, and fostering a potential rival (who could probably bring something to your own game) you just pissed in his face in front of everyone because your ego couldn't handle the loss.

Think about it, if you were playing this game at a LAN party with some dude sitting next to you, would you just get up and walk away in the middle of a match? Do you ignore the "gl hf?" Do you publicly scoff at the other dude's race choice or playstyle? When you sit down, you give your all (if you're playing to win.) When playing Magic: The Gathering in tournaments, I ALWAYS gave the GG at the end regardless of who took the match. Just good manners as a human being. I hate how the internet enables people to act like dickwads just because they can get away with it.

If you're going to lose - at least lose with some style or dignity. If you've gotta a fighting chance, then go for it. That's all I'm saying. Of course, it's your dime and you can play the game the way you want to. I'm just of the opinion that if everyone adds a little positive something to the community - then you have the potential for something great.

I do agree with you guys though that you don't necessarily need to make your opponent hunt down every last supply depot
(unless you're playing with friends in a FFA and trying to harass the crap out of them.

KuroNeeko

Mudkips said:
So I got a chance to play in teh betaz a bit.

It's great, sure, but it's not really anything fundamentally new.

If you're into all the new Bnet social / competitive features and such, the bulk of that is still locked away / unfinished. If you're into the story, none of that in the beta obviously. If you want them delicious custom maps/game modes/campaigns, that's gonna have to wait too.

La, la, laaaaa. I can't hear you!

Baby stepping to the computer, baby stepping to the computer. Turning on the computer. Baby stepping to my email account...

Zzoram said:
Copper League is going to be a great place for noobs after the game has been out for about 1 month and everyone better has filtered up the leagues.

I definitely think so too. I also think that it is in large part the only place where low-skill/lesser experienced players will find a reliably even game due to SC2's guaranteed huge popularity. By that, I mean that the game is going to be purchased by a very wide arrangement of players, whereas most RTS games sell to people who like and are experienced in RTS games.

Sloegr

Fragamemnon said:
I definitely think so too. I also think that it is in large part the only place where low-skill/lesser experienced players will find a reliably even game due to SC2's guaranteed huge popularity. By that, I mean that the game is going to be purchased by a very wide arrangement of players, whereas most RTS games sell to people who like and are experienced in RTS games.

That's what I'm hoping. I'm not new to Starcraft, but I am a super low APM player with very little hope of improving that portion of my game. The copper league might be my home 'forever,' but that'll be fine given the amount of players that will be out there to compete against.

ElJuice said:
That's what I'm hoping. I'm not new to Starcraft, but I am a super low APM player with very little hope of improving that portion of my game. The copper league might be my home 'forever,' but that'll be fine given the amount of players that will be out there to compete against.

One thing to keep in mind is that, if you play enough and play regularly, you'll find that a lot of the things that you had to consciously remember to do during the game will start to become something more like mental/physical reflex.

For example, you'll hear a round of marines or medivacs finishing. At first, you'll probably have to force yourself to remember to hit the appropriate hotkey and tab through the buildings to start more production. Over time, that audio stimulus will automatically register with your brain as "keep macroing!" and you'll almost instinctively hit the keys for more units.

That's how APM gets higher BTW-that your hands and your brain are conditioned to immediately react to a given set of visual/audio stimuli at a certain point during the game.

Sloegr

Fragamemnon said:
One thing to keep in mind is that, if you play enough and play regularly, you'll find that a lot of the things that you had to consciously remember to do during the game will start to become something more like mental/physical reflex.

For example, you'll hear a round of marines or medivacs finishing. At first, you'll probably have to force yourself to remember to hit the appropriate hotkey and tab through the buildings to start more production. Over time, that audio stimulus will automatically register with your brain as "keep macroing!" and you'll almost instinctively hit the keys for more units.

That's how APM gets higher BTW-that your hands and your brain are conditioned to immediately react to a given set of visual/audio stimuli at a certain point during the game.

Good tips. My APM deficiency is due to a disability, so it's more of a problem of not being able to get my fingers to the hotkeys fast enough. Still, you're right, and we can all improve our APM to some extent. My ceiling is just much lower than it is for most others. Hopefully some of the changes in SC2 will help out, like being able to remap hotkeys and select multiple buildings.

Fragamemnon said:

i did not know you could "tab through" your buildings

fatty

Trasher said:
Incoming wave tomorrow. Putting money on it. Scratch that. Putting a KEY on it. :)

ZealousD said:
I'll take that bet!

I'll put down my imaginary key!

Trasher said:

It's on! Winner gets:
istockphoto_5779573-two-keys.jpg

WOW my new strat appears to be unstoppable with demi as my partner

I just got done attacking with a group of 20 zerglings that died relatively fast to a pack of marines, demi came in from the other side with stalkers and lots and whittled down the marine pack, and I come back no joke, about 30 seconds later with another 15 lings, this time with crack and +1.

instant GGs then followed!

Wedge7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dqYxpxegrk - Hilarious match, SC1 though, Day9 at his best

Since you all mentioned day9, I had to throw up the link to this classic Starcraft 1 match that he commentated on. Chill vs Combat-EX, the amount of drama involved was incredible. I originally thought Day9 was taking some sort of serious drugs, but then later realized that he's just batshit crazy. A classic moment in TL history, and basically something that solidified Day9's legendary status with me.

He also commentated more recently on some MLG SC2 show matches, Artosis vs Louder, but they were god awful. Alot more subdued, but thats to be expected, since they were going for a more 'professional feel'. The games were pretty terrible, but if your gonna watch any games, watch game 4, if just to see how god awful the observer was in that game.

Day9 - "Oh wow, check out this incredible proxy pylon, this shit is ingenious!"
Other Scrub commentator - "Your right, this is pretty damn exciting.."

Cut to Camera man, who is focused on the other zergs natural, clicking on absolutely nothing. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSkevYhCD88 - Game1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-zJOLOGqWQ&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=222391E9E52F4406 - Game4 (pretty hilarious in a awful way)

Zzoram

CajoleJuice said:
Holy crap, I ended up in Bronze after going 5-5 in my 10 1v1 placement matches. I am going to get destroyed.

If you lose enough (not sure what the trigger point is) you can be demoted to Copper.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Day9 was very good today. Would have liked him to touch on how auto turrets and point defense drones are AWESOME though.

Sloegr

vultureparade said:
After listening to his two Starcraft 2 beta podcasts, I became a big fan of Day[9]. He's good-natured and has a huge amount of enthusiasm for the game. He also knows what the hell he is talking about.

Day9 is good stuff. The first Starcraft game I ever watched was casted by his brother, too.
Anybody know if they have done any casts together? I know Tasteless and Day9 were casting TSL, but not together.

autobzooty said:
i did not know you could "tab through" your buildings

Noob guide to SC2 Terran macro (and if you look at MooCowGo's hotkeys, also for the not so noob):

1) Put ALL of your buildings on the same hotkey. 5 is good, it's in the middle and won't muss with your unit hotkeys.
2) To macro, hit 5 and tab through each building, building whatever unit you want, until everything has a white dot under it.
3) Repeat when you hear shit build.
4) if minerals get above 800, expand or build more unit production buildings.

edit: and make no mistake, if you are good about macroing, defend against the one-base play and cheese you'll see 2/3 of the time at lower levels, and safely expand and get over 100 food worth of units, you're almost guaranteed to win at lower ELO levels (1100-1300).

Right now the beta feels like D+ on iccup during non-Korean hours and every map is Heartbreak Ridge level of cheese potential. WTB macro maps.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fragamemnon said:
Noob guide to SC2 Terran macro (and if you look at MooCowGo's hotkeys, also for the not so noob):

1) Put ALL of your buildings on the same hotkey. 5 is good, it's in the middle and won't muss with your unit hotkeys.
2) To macro, hit 5 and tab through each building, building whatever unit you want, until everything has a white dot under it.
3) Repeat when you hear shit build.
4) if minerals get above 800, expand or build more unit production buildings.

edit: and make no mistake, if you are good about macroing, defend against the one-base play and cheese you'll see 2/3 of the time at lower levels, and safely expand and get over 100 food worth of units, you're almost guaranteed to win at lower ELO levels (1100-1300).

Right now the beta feels like D+ on iccup during non-Korean hours and every map is Heartbreak Ridge level of cheese potential. WTB macro maps.
What about CC's and mules?

Hazaro said:
What about CC's and mules?

It's totally awesome actually-you can put multple CCs on the same hotkey and only have one button for scan/mules. I will also, if I need SCVs at a new base, just set the rally point for the control group to the mineral patch I want to have automined at the new base.

It's really nice. All comsats in particular on one hotkey is fabulous.

My last game tonight had me doing that CowGoMoo PvT bio+medivac+ghost+viking terran push. Kept my minerals under 600 alll game except at the end. :rock

Ashhong

:lol the fact that you said "non korean hours" just cracked me up

so i should be playing based on when they are asleep, got it.

Ashhong said:
:lol the fact that you said "non korean hours" just cracked me up

so i should be playing based on when they are asleep, got it.

The US/EU beta won't have Koreans in it at all. For the most part, people in the US beta seem to be D+/C- iccup players with a lot of B's level at the top and plenty of D grade players too.

My comparison to the "non Korean hours" was sort of hinting that the average US/EU player with a middle of the road ELO/ranking will generally not get blown out too much. As opposed to iccup during Korean hours, where D+ and even D are MUCH harder than, say, off hours.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i asked this a couple of pages back, but i guess people missed it....

can anyone suggest a good site to get replays (the actual files you run in the SC2 beta client, NOT videos) that've been played recently by GOOD players?

If you have multiple buildings selected, can you do actions for all of them simultaneously? How does that work? Like if I select three barracks and click "build marine," is that gonna build three marines? or will it build only one at whichever barracks has the shortest queue?

similarly, if I have 2 command centers selected and I want to do a scan or call down mules, will both CCs do that when I press the button, or just one?

i think that my macro is my biggest barrier for getting good at SC...

autobzooty said:
If you have multiple buildings selected, can you do actions for all of them simultaneously? How does that work? Like if I select three barracks and click "build marine," is that gonna build three marines? or will it build only one at whichever barracks has the shortest queue?

Here's how it works-if you have multiple buildings of the same type with the same attachments (tech lab, reactor), then if you hotkey them and, say, build marines (if they are barracks w/ reactors) then it will put the marine build into the shortest queue possible.

Heterogeneous selection will allow you to tab between homogeneous groups in the selection with the tab key. So if you have a tech lab barracks and two reactor barracks, and all three barracks selected, you will tab between the tech lab barracks and a selection of BOTH of the reactor'd barracks.

similarly, if I have 2 command centers selected and I want to do a scan or call down mules, will both CCs do that when I press the button, or just one?

Just the one with the largest amount of energy, I think.

i think that my macro is my biggest barrier for getting good at SC...

I'm still at a point where my SC1 macro is better than my SC2 macro, but it's just a matter of time before MBS will easily trump that. Also, Blizzard's shit cage match maps usually mean that the game doesn't really go into more than two bases.

Day[9] is one of the best people to watch for an introduction to high level starcraft play because he breaks it down so well, and he's a funny guy to boot. I find it a lot more interesting than random commentary too, because he really analyzes each game instead of just describing whats going on.

www.livestream.com/striderdoom

His SC 1 stuff is very, very good and I'm going to start watching his SC2 stuff today.

Top Bottom