• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Fragamemnon said:
You need to have the cache files:

http://www.sc2win.com/tag/cache/

(I had to to this even with an account when I put on the beta on a different machine after a couple of patches)
still not working :/

edit: nvm, fixed it. was saving the cache folder to the wrong location. needs to be saved to C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net

i was putting it in C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\StarCraft II Beta\Maps :/

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Fragamemnon said:
Still great for harassment, for sure.
heh, yeah. i just watched a TvP match and the DTs pretty much won the game for the Protoss. Terran knee jerk reactioned with turrets as quick as he could and then scanner sweep on orbital command, but it was too late. damage was done and he couldn't recover.

fanboi

Banned
Scrow said:
heh, yeah. i just watched a TvP match and the DTs pretty much won the game for the Protoss. Terran knee jerk reactioned with turrets as quick as he could and then scanner sweep on orbital command, but it was too late. damage was done and he couldn't recover.

URL!

But for the DT you need Pylon --> Gateway --> Forge?

Something more?

fanboi said:
URL!

But for the DT you need Pylon --> Gateway --> Forge?

Something more?
As in the tech required for DTs? They're at the end of the tech tree.

Gateway > Cybernetics Core > Twilight Counsil > Dark Shrine

fanboi

Banned
FromTheFuture said:
As in the tech required for DTs? They're at the end of the tech tree.

Gateway > Cybernetics Core > Twilight Counsil > Dark Shrine

ah! thank you.

eaons since I played.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I'm finding that pathfinding is a huge resource hog on my laptop. I can have everything on the lowest settings and still if I'm moving about a force of any real size my computer dips down dramatically. A 400 zergling force brought me down to single digit FPS. Any UMS map like Evolves would be basically unplayable.

Currently have an Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz. Is my CPU really that bad? I mean I've tweaked Crysis to run between Medium and High and yet Starcraft 2 is bringing my laptop to its knees.

ZealousD

zoukka said:
Well laptops have "laptop" components.

Yeah, I realize I've sacrificed some performance for having a laptop, but I paid about $1000 for this thing only a year ago, expecting it would play StarCraft 2 without a hitch. =/

Vista 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS, 512 VRAM
4 GB RAM
1280x800 Resolution

Zzoram

ZealousD said:
So I'm finding that pathfinding is a huge resource hog on my laptop. I can have everything on the lowest settings and still if I'm moving about a force of any real size my computer dips down dramatically. A 400 zergling force brought me down to single digit FPS. Any UMS map like Evolves would be basically unplayable.

Currently have an Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz. Is my CPU really that bad? I mean I've tweaked Crysis to run between Medium and High and yet Starcraft 2 is bringing my laptop to its knees.

Beta requirements might be a tad higher than final requirements, if that's any consolation.

FromTheFuture said:
nope. Tried to play some Element TD, ended up turning all the settings to Low and it was still chugging along with a shitty framerate. I mean, this was not a gaming laptop at all but its brand new and everything.

Apath

Try updating the drivers....? My macbook can play WC3 maxed out without a hitch, and it can't seem to run anything recent.

ZealousD

Kenak said:
Try updating the drivers....?

Already have. But like I said, it's pathfinding that's killing it. All those calculations are probably bogging down the CPU.

Zzoram said:
Beta requirements might be a tad higher than final requirements, if that's any consolation.

Well, I don't think Blizzard is going to improve their pathfinding algorithms in the beta phase.

The Lamonster said:
nope. Tried to play some Element TD, ended up turning all the settings to Low and it was still chugging along with a shitty framerate. I mean, this was not a gaming laptop at all but its brand new and everything.

Well my laptop isn't your laptop. I can play Crysis on Medium-High settings. My laptop isn't top of the line, but I was expecting it to run Starcraft 2 fairly well.

Fragamemnon said:
Here's how it works-if you have multiple buildings of the same type with the same attachments (tech lab, reactor), then if you hotkey them and, say, build marines (if they are barracks w/ reactors) then it will put the marine build into the shortest queue possible.

Heterogeneous selection will allow you to tab between homogeneous groups in the selection with the tab key. So if you have a tech lab barracks and two reactor barracks, and all three barracks selected, you will tab between the tech lab barracks and a selection of BOTH of the reactor'd barracks.

Just the one with the largest amount of energy, I think.

I'm still at a point where my SC1 macro is better than my SC2 macro, but it's just a matter of time before MBS will easily trump that. Also, Blizzard's shit cage match maps usually mean that the game doesn't really go into more than two bases.

ah thanks, this is very helpful.

so you usually put all your buildings on one single hotkey? i hadn't thought of doing that, but it does seem like it would keep your hotkeys less cluttered.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
nilbog21 said:
except the ai blows :/
i gues its ok if uve never played SC1 or something
Updated AI seems to have credibility.

I watched a game where the player meant to be toying with the Toss by early expanding to 4 bases with a marine/tank force and just sat around watching toss throw collsi and zealots and stalkers and immortals (which are not good vs 16 tanks) and laze around.

A short while later 8 carriers came out and killed everything. Keep in mind each interceptor does 6(6+upgrade) twice. So they have double the firepower compared to BW along with much better targeting. Player had to scramble and was running out of money and gas. Mass produced 20 vikings from 4 ports but eventually ran out of money and gas (500 mins and 40 gas left)

Came down to tanks taking out everything but a single assimilator and having 1 tank and money for 7 marines left to try to defend against 2 carriers.

Spread the marines and tanks out in 3 paths trying to kill and distract the carriers while scanning their position and counter moving the 4 marines and tank to kill the assimilator because each side had nothing left.

Pretty awesome.

*That said if you don't know what you really are doing the AI will probably beat you.

autobzooty said:
ah thanks, this is very helpful.

so you usually put all your buildings on one single hotkey? i hadn't thought of doing that, but it does seem like it would keep your hotkeys less cluttered.

I actually have some overlap-I generally have this as Terran:

5-ALL military production buildings
6-All Command Centers
7-All Starports

The starport one is handy because in two matchups after I get my critical mass of medivacs (4-5) I like to either go for an advanced air unit or Vikings.

Fragamemnon said:
I actually have some overlap-I generally have this as Terran:

5-ALL military production buildings
6-All Command Centers
7-All Starports

The starport one is handy because in two matchups after I get my critical mass of medivacs (4-5) I like to either go for an advanced air unit or Vikings.

Ah that makes good sense.

Is it possible to tab through heterogeneous groups of units as well? Like if I had a group of marines and marauders on the same hotkey, could I tab through them and give a command to JUST the marines or JUST the marauders? Ordinarily I'd put them on separate hotkeys, but if tabbing through is an option, it might be good to free up some hotkeys for other units.

Ashhong

FieryBalrog said:
Day[9] is one of the best people to watch for an introduction to high level starcraft play because he breaks it down so well, and he's a funny guy to boot. I find it a lot more interesting than random commentary too, because he really analyzes each game instead of just describing whats going on.

www.livestream.com/striderdoom

His SC 1 stuff is very, very good and I'm going to start watching his SC2 stuff today.

thanks for this. i am a complete SC noob when it comes to strategies and he just taught me 2gate zealot rush. decided to test it out on 1v1 placement matches and won 6 out of 9 for a bronze :lol problem is i dont know how to follow up if they put a stop to my initial rush

Zerg in particular put up the best fight. if they take out my initial rush they get some roaches in and im done.

autobzooty said:
Ah that makes good sense.

Is it possible to tab through heterogeneous groups of units as well? Like if I had a group of marines and marauders on the same hotkey, could I tab through them and give a command to JUST the marines or JUST the marauders? Ordinarily I'd put them on separate hotkeys, but if tabbing through is an option, it might be good to free up some hotkeys for other units.

Yeah you can tab through them in order to get to unit's special abilities. If you stim the control group it'll stim everything though, which is fine since that's generally what you would always want to happen. Note that move/patrol/hold position/attack orders all apply to the entire control group.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Fragamemnon said:
http://www.livestream.com/striderdoom

Day[9] live and bringing some more SC2 stuff today.
Hazaro said:
And to all wanting to see past history and links to everything, simply check out his TL thread. :D

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=104154
both added to top of OP. really good commentary.

Trasher said:
Once again...posting this from the OP. People should check that out once in a while...
yes... please read the OP. i do actually update when important or interesting stuff comes up ;)

Xirj

omgeee omgeee, just checked b.net and there is the option!!!! Downloading as I type.

There was no e-mail.

Must have come up after the patch.

Top Bottom