• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Scrow said:
i had exactly the same problem last night while watching a replay. though i think the artifacts were red for me.

btw, updated OP to warn people about the GPU overheat issues on nvidia cards.
I'm still using the drivers from back in August, 190.62, so I don't think that particular problem is effecting me. I'll run a temperature monitor next time though to make sure... it definitely seems like my card is overheating based on the artifacts but only with SC2 Beta.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Houston3000 said:
I'm still using the drivers from back in August, 190.62, so I don't think that particular problem is effecting me. I'll run a temperature monitor next time though to make sure... it definitely seems like my card is overheating based on the artifacts but only with SC2 Beta.
yeah, i'm still on 196.21. got an 8800GT.

just played this guy called danosphere... I was Terran and he was Toss, kicked his butt and then he started running around like a brat creating pylons with his drones... so annoying. Glad SC2 reveals building locations on maps when someone is near defeat so its easy to clean up.

infinityBCRT said:
just played this guy called danosphere... I was Terran and he was Toss, kicked his butt and then he started running around like a brat creating pylons with his drones... so annoying. Glad SC2 reveals building locations on maps when someone is near defeat so its easy to clean up.

duuuuuuude I love games like that. Lets me enjoy the win longer. Although my two previous sentences are null and void if i cared about my ladder rank at all :)

Ice Monkey said:
duuuuuuude I love games like that. Lets me enjoy the win longer. Although my two previous sentences are null and void if i cared about my ladder rank at all :)
I don't care about my rank but at that point the guy knows hes going to lose and is just annoying me for 10 minutes for the sake of annoying me. If he actually tried to build an economy again instead of building random pylons I wouldn't mind as much.

Sloegr

infinityBCRT said:

Pretty annoying, to be sure.

How does the game determine when someone is near defeat, exactly? Is it just when you lose your main?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ElJuice said:
Pretty annoying, to be sure.

How does the game determine when someone is near defeat, exactly? Is it just when you lose your main?
i think it's based on when you have no buildings left that can create workers (nexus, command center/orbital command/planetary fortress, hatchery/lair/hive)

i just watched a match where a zerg player lost his main fairly early in the game, but held his expansion, eventually took back his main and then went on to win the game.

Sloegr

Scrow said:
i think it's based on when you have no buildings left that can create workers (nexus, command center/orbital command/planetary fortress, hatchery/lair/hive)

i just watched a match where a zerg player lost his main fairly early in the game, but held his expansion, eventually took back his main and then went on to win the game.

OK, that's good then. I was worried about the type of situation you were describing, mostly.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ElJuice said:
OK, that's good then. I was worried about the type of situation you were describing, mostly.
this might already be implemented and i haven't seen it yet, but i hope that a player that has lost all their worker buildings, but still has workers to create a new main will "unreveal" them as soon as their new main is finished building. otherwise there's no chance of a come back if they simply remain revealed the entire time, even after setting up a new base.

Bleh.. I hate FFAs and one guy turtles then just gets mass carriers and wins that way =[

Im not even sure how to counter mass carriers with protoss unless I do the same.

Duki said:
don't let him get to mass carriers.

The problem is its a ffa.. and I'm being harassed by a guy at 12 and a guy at 6.. and im at 3 oclock.

The guy at 9 was turtled in non touched and got carriers while i was attempting to fend others off :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TurtleSnatcher said:
The problem is its a ffa.. and I'm being harassed by a guy at 12 and a guy at 6.. and im at 3 oclock.

The guy at 9 was turtled in non touched and got carriers while i was attempting to fend others off :(
Kill his base first.
Or make more carriers.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
TurtleSnatcher said:
Bleh.. I hate FFAs and one guy turtles then just gets mass carriers and wins that way =[

Im not even sure how to counter mass carriers with protoss unless I do the same.
mass void rays? well placed psi storms?

Scrow said:
mass void rays? well placed psi storms?

void rays have too low HP and will evaporate to interceptors. Psi storms are easily dodged and HT's easily picked off.

It's basically "more carriers" territory if a PvP goes late and goes that way, much like an out of control TvT turns into "more battlecruisers".

WTF? Did I do something wrong?

The Beta is listed @ My Blizzard games in Battlenet and I can download the Client just fine. But the Forums and the game are saying I don't have a copy of SC II attached to my Account?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Fragamemnon said:
void rays have too low HP and will evaporate to interceptors.
does the sentry's "bubble" also protect air units from ranged attacks, or only ground units? maybe use that to give the void rays a bit more longevity.

Fragamemnon said:
Psi storms are easily dodged
use it in tandem with the mother ship's vortex to suck them all to a single point. time the psi storm to hit just as they come out of vortex. similar to the vortex + nuke strategy mentioned a few pages back. should make it harder for them to dodge psi storms.

Fragamemnon said:
and HT's easily picked off.
keep enough around that they simply can't take them all out fast enough. any HTs that get low on health and energy you can merge to create Archons to help bolster your forces. 25 splash damage per archon should help take out mass carriers once they've being softened with a psi storm or two and their numbers thinned with void rays.

mannerbot

Vortex + Psi Storm, like Vortex + Nuke, is not an actual strategy but maybe a shenanigan at best. You know, something that you do to mess around with people you're way better than (just like David Kim's Banelings against inka -- he didn't win because of the banelings; he won because he was allowed to take full map for free against a two base Protoss). It's not like you can just get a Mothership after having been attacked by a group of Carriers having failed to scout it before. Nor is it anywhere near the best response. The best strategy against Carriers or any other expensive high-tier unit is simply not allowing your opponent to get to it. StarCraft's all about map control and econ, just think of the type of army you can get while your opponent's turtled up with no expos. Scouting obviously is important as well.

Protoss antiair is just unfortunately very weak in this game. The absence of Scouts especially hurts them against capital ships, since there is no +armor high damage antiair unit really. Void rays are terrible against anything that can shoot back; they're best used in pairs or trios to destroy buildings in one base all-in strategies and have very limited functionality outside of that. Archons are a terribly laughable suggestion, since they have such limited range and any amount of Carrier micro keeps Carriers out of harm's way from even units that have good range, let alone Archons.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Nothing wrong with 2v2.

Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way - But I've noticed a few people claiming 2v2 is pointless.. I play games to entertain myself and playing with a friend and creating a strategy for 2 different armies is something I find exciting.

I just really hate the mentality where people brush 2v2 or any form of team play off as being pointless..

Not saying that you are saying that but I've just read comments that seem to aim toward that from other users and it sounds almost snobby :\

2v2 is fun but StarCraft has always been about the 1v1. I (Robo.eyesmile) have a #1 Platinum League 2v2 team and the truth is that 2v2 is nowhere near as deep as 1v1. On top of that, most of the good players either don't play 2v2 or just do it to mess around.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
mannerbot said:
Protoss antiair is just unfortunately very weak in this game. The absence of Scouts especially hurts them against capital ships, since there is no +armor high damage antiair unit really.
i agree. i think we'll see lots of changes in that area before beta is over.

mannerbot said:
Archons are a terribly laughable suggestion, since they have such limited range and any amount of Carrier micro keeps Carriers out of harm's way from even units that have good range, let alone Archons.
i suggested the archons as an alternative to having nearly useless (cause of no energy) and dead HTs. if the archons are there anyway, may as well put them to use. also, i wasn't suggesting them as the ONLY counter to carriers. the idea was to use them in conjunction with other units.

mannerbot

Yeah, but mass Carriers isn't really a problem with balance or anything (though I guess the Mass Carriers = Instant Win meme might make you think otherwise). Allowing someone to get that type of army without disrupting them is the reason you lose, not the Carriers themselves. TurtleSnatcher's FFA only had that problem because everyone left that one guy all alone. In that same time he got mass Carriers, he could have had a 200/200 max army of whatever other unit and everyone else still would have gotten steamrolled.

Zaptruder

Banned
Scrow said:
i agree. i think we'll see lots of changes in that area before beta is over.

i suggested the archons as an alternative to having nearly useless (cause of no energy) and dead HTs. if the archons are there anyway, may as well put them to use. also, i wasn't suggesting them as the ONLY counter to carriers. the idea was to use them in conjunction with other units.

What happened to phoenixes? I thought they were supposed to be the replacements to scouts?

Do they still have the overload ability? I haven't seen it used once in any of the replays.

mannerbot

Phoenixes do +light, so on armored or normal units I think they do 5 x2 dmg. This low damage, high rate of fire attack is obviously horrible against armored units since such a large portion of the attack is negated by armor every time. I hadn't kept up with SC2 info at all until the beta came out, so I have no idea what the Overload ability did, but they have a Graviton Beam ability that's pretty good. It's a 50 energy channeled ability that lifts a ground unit into the air, rendering it helpless for 10 time units. The strength of that ability probably explains why Phoenixes are weak in general, since unlike Corsairs they don't do splash damage and as such are useless against large numbers of light air units such as Mutas.

Zaptruder

Banned
mannerbot said:
Phoenixes do +light, so on armored or normal units I think they do 5 x2 dmg. This low damage, high rate of fire attack is obviously horrible against armored units since such a large portion of the attack is negated by armor every time. I hadn't kept up with SC2 info at all until the beta came out, so I have no idea what the Overload ability did, but they have a Graviton Beam ability that's pretty good. It's a 50 energy channeled ability that lifts a ground unit into the air, rendering it helpless for 10 time units. The strength of that ability probably explains why Phoenixes are weak in general, since unlike Corsairs they don't do splash damage and as such are useless against large numbers of light air units such as Mutas.

Back when they showed starcraft 2 and introduced the phoenix, they showed off its overload ability; it caused them to root to the spot, pump out a pretty intense AOE attack, then shut down for about 10 seconds. A bunch of phoenixes using it could definetly wipe out a lot of mutas... and enough could probably wipe out a bunch of carriers/battle cruisers.

Which is why I guess they replaced it with the graviton beam ability.

mannerbot

Just realized that I wasn't too clear on my last post. You'd expect that since they do 9 x2 damage to light units, they'd be good against Mutas, but yeah not having splash damage sucks. Anyway, I looked up that Overload ability and I'm not too sure what the original designers were smoking when they thought that up. According to the wiki that popped up when I googled it, overload originally worked against both air and ground units. Having Phoenixes fly right in and do that in your mineral line doesn't sound cheesy or overpowered right? :lol

Raide

Holy Crap! Woke up this morning and checked my e-mail...Beta Invite!!! I had to check it a few times just to make sure it was not a scam but I have just finished downloading now.

Woot! :D :D

clip

This is getting ridiculous. I want to play so goddamned badly, I've played Starcraft on a regular basis for 12 fucking years, I need this!

Raide said:
Holy Crap! Woke up this morning and checked my e-mail...Beta Invite!!! I had to check it a few times just to make sure it was not a scam but I have just finished downloading now.

Woot! :D :D
They sent out the beta invite emails like a day late, you actually got in yesterday :lol

Man

I have a 195.81 Nvidia driver and a 260 card (+ quad 2.8ghz, 4gb ram, W7 64bit). Am I in the safe zone?
My fan sounds very loud but I've only been PS3 gaming for the last two months.

hobart

My patience will garner me with a beta key. The Mac gods will smile upon me and all my Mac brethren in the thread. Too bad I can't practice builds while I wait... I've watch enough replays and videos to make my eyes bleed.

I sense a Mac v. PC war coming! All you early Beta players need a proper ass-kick! (Haha)

Raide

infinityBCRT said:
They sent out the beta invite emails like a day late, you actually got in yesterday :lol

Noooo! I missed a whole day of getting zerged. :lol

I just had my first match and I sucked terribly. Within a few minutes someone had drop-shipped 20 Mauraders on my back door. :lol

If anyone fancies some games, just let me know. I need all the practice I can get. :D

aznpxdd

mannerbot said:
Just realized that I wasn't too clear on my last post. You'd expect that since they do 9 x2 damage to light units, they'd be good against Mutas, but yeah not having splash damage sucks. Anyway, I looked up that Overload ability and I'm not too sure what the original designers were smoking when they thought that up. According to the wiki that popped up when I googled it, overload originally worked against both air and ground units. Having Phoenixes fly right in and do that in your mineral line doesn't sound cheesy or overpowered right? :lol

Well...if they shut down for 10 seconds after using overload, I think its a fair ability. Whatever phoenixes you sent to kill the workers most likely aren't making it back.

mannerbot said:
2v2 is fun but StarCraft has always been about the 1v1. I (Robo.eyesmile) have a #1 Platinum League 2v2 team and the truth is that 2v2 is nowhere near as deep as 1v1. On top of that, most of the good players either don't play 2v2 or just do it to mess around.

That's just not true. At all.

Try getting in platinum 2v2 with random allies.

Shaoren

Neo Member
YYZ said:
Do you need games on your account to get an invite or can it be empty?
To opt-in, you need a game. However, if you choose trial WoW for 10 days, you can opt-in.
I do not know if it works, though, since I haven't got a key in any of my accounts.

Artanisix

Wait what the hell?! I just got into beta.... but my GPU specs are below the requirements!

OPERATING SYSTEM:WINDOWS 2.5.1.2600 (SP 3)
CPU TYPE: INTEL(R) PENTIUM(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHZ
CPU SPEED (GHZ):2.42
SYSTEM MEMORY (GB):1.249
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL:NVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5500 (MICROSOFT CORPORATION)GRAPHICS
DLLDESKTOP RESOLUTION:1024X768

Well uh... see you guys in beta I guess!

Insaniac

Raide said:
Noooo! I missed a whole day of getting zerged. :lol

I just had my first match and I sucked terribly. Within a few minutes someone had drop-shipped 20 Mauraders on my back door. :lol

If anyone fancies some games, just let me know. I need all the practice I can get. :D

insaniac.insaniac

im a noob right now

clip

Artanisix said:
Wait what the hell?! I just got into beta.... but my GPU specs are below the requirements!

OPERATING SYSTEM:WINDOWS 2.5.1.2600 (SP 3)
CPU TYPE: INTEL(R) PENTIUM(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHZ
CPU SPEED (GHZ):2.42
SYSTEM MEMORY (GB):1.249
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL:NVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5500 (MICROSOFT CORPORATION)GRAPHICS
DLLDESKTOP RESOLUTION:1024X768

Well uh... see you guys in beta I guess!

When you say "just got in", did you get the invite today or just not check for a few days?

Top Bottom