• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Gribbix

Man said:
With the (final) A.I in SC2 they don't have map hacks either. A.I is given 0 cheats. The A.I will actively scout after you and do all the proper routines earning their victories.
Yep, with the exception of the Insane difficulty level, the AI needs to scout your location. On Insane, the AI already knows your location without the need to send scouts.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
The AI never cheats with resources, at least not in Blizzard RTS skirmish games. They just have map hack.

If you find the AI in a Blizzard RTS is richer than you, it's because it was more efficient with worker production and utilization.

Yea, which means the AI will never be as challenging as the Skirmish AI in DoW. Even without cheating, the Skirmish AI uses tactics, something most AIs in RTS never do. Skirmish AI will actually fortify bunkers, use tunnels to move around the map, dance troops right out of your units attack range, it will use units how they are intended, and even build towers right in to it's attacking. Skirmish AI was absolutely amazing.

JWong said:
I'm still not in... but do they have Big Game Hunters map goin? :lol
Nope. But there is a 2v2 map which shares a starting location with a teammate that you could play 1v1 if you wanted too.

2 full mineral spots there along with 2 full gas areas. Then the natural is on the same platform for each spot with 1 choke point.

Zzoram

Minsc said:
Yea, which means the AI will never be as challenging as the Skirmish AI in DoW. Even without cheating, the Skirmish AI uses tactics, something most AIs in RTS never do. Skirmish AI will actually fortify bunkers, use tunnels to move around the map, dance troops right out of your units attack range, it will use units how they are intended, and even build towers right in to it's attacking. Skirmish AI was absolutely amazing.

The Starcraft 2 AI is supposed to be adaptive. It will retreat when obviously outnumbered and change it's unit composition based on what it sees of yours. We don't know exactly how the SC2 AI will work, since only the Very Easy mode is in the beta, but I expect it will be superior to past implementations in Blizzard games.

Milabrega

I've updated the list to now include Beta Names. If its incorrect or not there let me know either by posting in this thread, the online forum thread or PM. I have to go back a few pages still to get everyone.

Scrow, Think its possible to get this site listed under Streams in the OP: http://www.teamliquid.net/beta/ pretty much the best place to go in order to find live current streams of beta, most of them are at the tops of their platinum divisions, which is either good or bad depending on how you view it. Response is usually the channel you want to watch, but it does fill up.

JWong

Banned
Zzoram said:
The Starcraft 2 AI is supposed to be adaptive. It will retreat when obviously outnumbered and change it's unit composition based on what it sees of yours. We don't know exactly how the SC2 AI will work, since only the Very Easy mode is in the beta, but I expect it will be superior to past implementations in Blizzard games.
Download Korean brains into the game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
raphier said:
Wow, tha sounded like a threat. :lol It's not like I have the biggest chance to get the key, dude relax.
:lol
I really mean congrats.
Fragamemnon said:
You guys sure love your 2v2. :lol

Still having a hard time working in the Raven into my play outside of the whole 'mobile detector' aspect. The hunter-seeker missiles just feel like a gimmick and the only ability I usually wind up using is point defense drone.
Yeah put PDD is awesome. I mean it lasers hydralisk spikes in mid-air turning them into charred ash.

Plus it is fantastic for keeping your Raven alive and giving your army a better position (or ability to gain a better position without taking damage.

Turrets are semi useful, I could see them being used more for walling (say your tank line if lings are coming) or even worker / expo harass since they last so long and do decent DPS.
:D

RPGCrazied

OMG!!

omg-1.jpg

I should mention that it seems that there was no email this wave. It just appeared in my account. Make sure you guys check on the website to see if you got in.

Hazaro said:
:lol
Turrets are semi useful, I could see them being used more for walling (say your tank line if lings are coming) or even worker / expo harass since they last so long and do decent DPS.
:D

I have used them for this, but more often than not if I get enough vikings out I'll fly them in behind worker lines and land them. A clump of eight or so of them will depopulate an entire expansion in seconds.

The auto-turret is nice because it's cheap on energy. The PDD is awesome, especially against Protoss, since they often go stalkers for AA and it also shuts up plasma cannons when you push on an expansion.

RPGCrazied

infinityBCRT said:
I should mention that it seems that there was no email this wave. It just appeared in my account. Make sure you guys check on the website to see if you got in.

I didn't get an email either.. wow

kiryogi

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
Does it just appear as soon as you log onto battle.net?

RPGCrazied

should appear by the other games you registered, if you were picked.. you'll see a SCII box

I just got accepted like 15mins ago!!

RPGCrazied

maybe yesterday? I didnt check my bnet account then.. and I didn't get an email either about it

today I checked, and under my games I saw a SCII box.

calder

I guess I couldn't be invited since I have EVERY BLIZZ GAME POSSIBLE taking up the whole row on my Bnet account screen so there was no room to add the SC2 beta. :|

*weeps*

RPGCrazied

surpirsed I got picked tho, my comp is piss poor..

maybe I can run it at 1024x768 :p oh well, lets it'll make me go upgrade faster.

RPGCrazied

Pentium D 3.40gighz
9400gt(yes I know sucks)
2gigs of ram.

be gentle guys! hey, least I can tell you how it runs on a crappy computer. lol

mint

Banned
So how is the gaf community in SC2 compared to HoN's? Do we have gaf scrims? (Even though we can only do 2v2s sounds like fun still!) I can't play until 9pm central time though :(

mint said:
So how is the gaf community in SC2 compared to HoN's? Do we have gaf scrims? (Even though we can only do 2v2s sounds like fun still!) I can't play until 9pm central time though :(
Your time schedule works great for me ;)

Trasher

mint said:
Grrrr, you have a head start on me now. I'll get in eventually though I hope, so prepare for more mint vs Trasher battles even if they aren't in HoN anymore! :)

mint

Banned
Trasher said:
Grrrr, you have a head start on me now. I'll get in eventually though I hope, so prepare for more mint vs Trasher battles even if they aren't in HoN anymore! :)
Bring it :p
@Turtle: I think I'm slowly getting adjusted with the game. What counters siege tanks tho? :(

The Very Easy AI is a complete joke :lol. I was playing slowly and badly, but it only had 1 Zealot when I sent in like 6 Marines. It also made only 12 Probes while I made 24 SCVs.

aznpxdd

We did have some GAF scrims a week back, but it wasn't very fun.

You can ask the people who were involved why. :D

I didn't get into platinum for no reason!

calder

Is it sad that I've logged into bnet probably 3 or 4 times since I got home just to see if the SC2 beta magically appeared? Or is it more sad that I watch AT LEAST an hour of beta streams a night?:lol

aznpxdd said:
We did have some GAF scrims a week back, but it wasn't very fun.

You can ask the people who were involved why. :D

I didn't get into platinum for no reason!

i believe the reason is YOURE ASIAN :p:p:p:p

tomasdk said:
Heard that a new wave of invites started, nothing here but my friend got in. Sad thing is that he's not as much interested in the game as I am. Oh well, it's supposed to be random right?
Anyway, congrats to all who got in now, the rest of us can go back to waiting.

uh, its not random, Theres specific specs they look for for each wave. I have a feeling if you have a popular card like 8800GT you wont get in early waves

Milabrega said:
I've updated the list to now include Beta Names. If its incorrect or not there let me know either by posting in this thread, the online forum thread or PM. I have to go back a few pages still to get everyone.

Scrow, Think its possible to get this site listed under Streams in the OP: http://www.teamliquid.net/beta/ pretty much the best place to go in order to find live current streams of beta, most of them are at the tops of their platinum divisions, which is either good or bad depending on how you view it. Response is usually the channel you want to watch, but it does fill up.
Oh sweet Mila, you got in! Guess you didn't log in earlier today?

PS: accept my invite :D

fatty

Milabrega said:

Oh crap, you got in?! Lucky bum. Congrats!

Top Bottom