• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Helmholtz

Damn, been watching some videos and the game looks really good.
Still waiting for acceptance.. hopefully I'll get in before spring break.

Milabrega

I've updated the list with all of the new early morning adds. Be sure to get your Battle.net to me via PM or posted in this thread so I can add ya to the list and get in on some NeoGaf games or if both your NeoGaf name and Battle.net name isn't on there. Add me Milabrega.Mila

Pheonix is probably the only unit in the game I feel is completely useless. I have yet to see a single toss player actually build one and use it against me (I'm a toss player)

There's just no point in building a PHeonix when you can just as easily build a damn carrier or void ray, both of which server much better purposes.

Managed to finish last night at #6 in our 2v2 league division! It's only copper league, but it's still super awesome to have climbed up that entire thing over the course of a week or so. What a good game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
flarkminator said:
Pheonix is probably the only unit in the game I feel is completely useless.

Corrupters are also pretty bad. Too damn slow.

Milabrega

Quick tech Pheonix is decent in PvZ if the Zerg is a Roach abuser, which most are. Grav the Queen and take it out, it'll reduce his roach output and he'll likely have no AA at the moment for some more harass. You'll have to be good with Sentry's shield to repel those early Roach attacks though. Yeah corruptors are a bit shallow at the moment, not a fan of Helions either, but they sure are priced right. Still haven't tried a Helion rush or drop yet though.

ZealousD said:
Corrupters are also pretty bad. Too damn slow.

That's the air to air zerg? They have +massive which makes them aces for taking down carriers. Hide them in a swarm of muti's and most of the time they wouldn't even notice how badly their carriers are going down.

Milabrega said:
Quick tech Pheonix is decent in PvZ if the Zerg is a Roach abuser, which most are. Grav the Queen and take it out, it'll reduce his roach output and he'll likely have no AA at the moment for some more harass. You'll have to be good with Sentry's shield to repel those early Roach attacks though. Yeah corruptors are a bit shallow at the moment, not a fan of Helions either, but they sure are priced right. Still haven't tried a Helion rush or drop yet though.

But an early roach player I can just as easily tech to immortals just as fast, and those rape the shit out of roaches. And meanwhile now I can defend while I build carriers.

flarkminator said:
Pheonix is probably the only unit in the game I feel is completely useless. I have yet to see a single toss player actually build one and use it against me (I'm a toss player)

There's just no point in building a PHeonix when you can just as easily build a damn carrier or void ray, both of which server much better purposes.
I don't use them all that often, but if you need to quickly counter air, they're cheaper and faster to build than Void Rays or Carriers, and a whole ton more efficient at anti-air than Void Rays are.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The Lamonster said:
dude. I can't believe a guy named Zealous is still not in. I feel for ya :/

Yeah man, my screen name was directly inspired by the Zealot. It's killing me. =(

Milabrega

Anyone around for 2v2's? Been playing 1v1's with traveler, add us: Milabrega.Mila and Gray.Grayfour

Yeah ZealousD and the rest of the SC1 regulars hope you guys get in soon, real soon.

Artanisix

WOW! Even with my pathetic computer specs, the game runs very comfortably at lowest settings (30 fps - completely playable). Impressive.

Does anyone know how to capture screen shots while the game is running? Ive tried snipping and print screen and both dont seem to work.

Deadly

Artanisix said:
Wait what the hell?! I just got into beta.... but my GPU specs are below the requirements!

OPERATING SYSTEM:WINDOWS 2.5.1.2600 (SP 3)
CPU TYPE: INTEL(R) PENTIUM(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHZ
CPU SPEED (GHZ):2.42
SYSTEM MEMORY (GB):1.249
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL:NVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5500 (MICROSOFT CORPORATION)GRAPHICS
DLLDESKTOP RESOLUTION:1024X768

Well uh... see you guys in beta I guess!
Wow, I almost wish I had my previous computer, these are the exact same specs :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Milabrega said:
I've updated the list with all of the new early morning adds. Be sure to get your Battle.net to me via PM or posted in this thread so I can add ya to the list and get in on some NeoGaf games or if both your NeoGaf name and Battle.net name isn't on there. Add me Milabrega.Mila
you got in? :eek:

Toonami 99 said:
Does anyone know how to capture screen shots while the game is running? Ive tried snipping and print screen and both dont seem to work.
try FRAPS

Bisonian

Toonami 99 said:

Print Screen works, it just sticks the file in (Win7 here) \Documents\StarCraft II Beta\Screenshots and not in the Program Files directory.

e: Also, Bisonian.bisonian if you want to add me to the big scary list. Zerg, 1v1 Bronze (trying to win up into Silver), looking to settle into some 2v2's as well.

zoukka

This is stupid. Once I moved from fast expand to single base with zergs, I haven't lost a match. Roach rush wins everything. (evaluation matches naturally :b)

Damn, this is aggravating... my computer crashes so hardcore when I play. I've only gotten through two games unscathed and lost both miserably. I want to practice up, watch some replays, etc... but I'm no where near figuring out what the issue is.

Would it be against any rules or are there any limitations to installing the beta on a friends laptop who didn't get int the beta? I figure I'd at least be able to play a few games when I go over to his house

2Crisis said:
The list in the OP is so big now. This thread is depressing :(
Speaking of which, I was in the March 4th Wave... which I thought was Wave 2 not Wave 3 (not that it's that big a deal)

Minsc

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
I wonder if/when they'll make it open beta.

They should take paid pre-orders on the game full price for $60, and give a beta key with it. I'd pay 100% forward on my pre-order from Blizzard to get a free beta key w/ it.

Milabrega

There are now 100 people** on Gaf with beta keys. Only 6 of us on this afternoon though, Traveler and I doing 1v1's and 2v2randoms, Mint, entropia, safetyfirst and PD.

**Counting the two people who got two keys, and the three people currently banned.

Zzoram

Minsc said:
They should take paid pre-orders on the game full price for $60, and give a beta key with it. I'd pay 100% forward on my pre-order from Blizzard to get a free beta key w/ it.

Even if they only offer beta keys to non-refundable $100 collector's edition (coming with USB authenticator) pre-orders, fully paid, offered only through the Blizzard store, I'd do it.

Caesar III said:
WTF? Did I do something wrong?
The Beta is listed @ My Blizzard games in Battlenet and I can download the Client just fine. But the Forums and the game are saying I don't have a copy of SC II attached to my Account?
I don't get it working :( HAAALP

Trasher

Milabrega said:
There are now 100 people** on Gaf with beta keys. Only 6 of us on this afternoon though, Traveler and I doing 1v1's and 2v2randoms, Mint, entropia, safetyfirst and PD.

**Counting the two people who got two keys, and the three people currently banned.
That really is sad. I would be playing nonstop. :lol
which others would probably say is sad lol

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
OPERATING SYSTEM: WINDOWS 2.6.1.7600 ()
CPU TYPE: AMD ATHLON(TM) 64 X2 DUAL CORE PROCESSOR 4600
CPU SPEED (GHZ): 2.42
SYSTEM MEMORY (GB): 1.874
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL: NVIDIA GEFORCE 6150 LE
GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER: NVD3DUM.DLL
DESKTOP RESOLUTION: 1280X1024

I still hope I get in
emot-ohdear.png

zoukka said:
This is stupid. Once I moved from fast expand to single base with zergs, I haven't lost a match. Roach rush wins everything. (evaluation matches naturally :b)

It's really easy to scout/counter in TvZ and gives the Terran a large timing push window while you lurch to hydras that anyone with more than 10 games under their belt will exploit.

Blizzard

Banned
Bah, guess I finally need to submit my specs to Blizzard finally. :lol

Before I do that though, does anyone know if it's locked to a certain install? I was going to submit my system specs from the Vista partition, but I'm planning on installing Windows 7 soon on a secondary partition and I might prefer to play it from there if I get in.

Top Bottom