• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
oxrock said:
Take care with your key begging people, Evilore posted a warning a while back.
i'd be happy to update the OP with steps to cracking the SC2 beta so people can at least watch replays or play against the AI to tide them over till they get a key, but evilore never got back to me on what neogaf's stance was on that.

i personally see it as a victimless crime, but it's a grey area...

Scrow said:
i'd be happy to update the OP with steps to cracking the SC2 beta so people can at least watch replays or play against the AI to tide them over till they get a key, but evilore never got back to me on what neogaf's stance was on that.

i personally see it as a victimless crime, but it's a grey area...

would be nice to know for sure....

Blizzard

Banned
I think in general mods never reply when people ask questions like that, presumably in part because they don't want to be held legally responsible. That's just my guess though. :)

I finally submitted my system requirements. Should I receive any email notification about my signup, or nothing unless I'm actually selected? *edit* Thanks!

Helmholtz

Blizzard said:
I think in general mods never reply when people ask questions like that, presumably in part because they don't want to be held legally responsible. That's just my guess though. :)

I finally submitted my system requirements. Should I receive any email notification about my signup, or nothing unless I'm actually selected?
Nothing afaik until acceptance.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You guys remember a few pages back when I was complaining about the pathfinding bring my computer to its knees? I figured out what the problem was, and I feel like such an idiot.

My laptop's power settings were set to "Power Saver" instead of "High Performance". My CPU was being intentionally jacked down. Whoops! :lol

mint

Banned
Man..I really feel for ya to those who didn't get the beta yet. I didn't get it for 2 waves..but this game is addicting. Reminds me back to the aoe days.

Roach rushing has been pretty successful for me this weekend. Before I'd try it with a rather weak resource set up, so if the rush was unsuccessful I'd be temporarily fucked - long enough to get countered. Now I just keep massing roaches while teching to hydras.

Getting spanked is a key part of multiplayer RTS. Often I'll get owned for not protecting against a, or not countering b, etc; and keep getting owned until I take the lesson to heart. In my case: defending against air lol

never....played....starcraft?!?

This guy is clearly a changeling in disguise. GRAB THE FLAMETHROWERS AND BURN HIM TO THE GROUND.

/got a light?

calder

There are some damn cool people in this forum. :D Thanks again!

Just finished my first match, lost fairly badly but whatever it was a blast. Game looked damn good, even with most stuff on medium or high (8800GT with a Q6600 and only 3G ram). From watching live streams I had a fairly good idea about the map and a general sense of what I wanted to do, but naturally when actually controlling the game I fumbled around a bit and wasted a ton of time mousing over tooltips trying to figure out what the hot keys were. I did spank his first tank push pretty well, and destroyed his expo twice but he was just teching up to BC the whole time I was futzing around my base so the ending was foregone. ;)

mannerbot

aznpxdd said:
That's just not true. At all.

Try getting in platinum 2v2 with random allies.

Granted my 2v2 division has fewer points than some of the older ones, but most of the top teams in 2v2 are made up of players that were not big names in BW, nor are they highly rated in 1v1. What does playing random 2v2 have to do with anything? That just means that everyone in the game is likely to be clueless so teamwork turns into you actively telling your partner a build order etc. It's just pretty simple to play a completely safe/standard game and go to #1 in a few games, which is just not possible in 1v1 ladder.

Are all these people still getting invites from the 3rd wave? Seems odd for there to STILL be new people getting invites. You'd think all the invites in a wave would go out at once.

aznpxdd

mannerbot said:
Granted my 2v2 division has fewer points than some of the older ones, but most of the top teams in 2v2 are made up of players that were not big names in BW, nor are they highly rated in 1v1. What does playing random 2v2 have to do with anything? That just means that everyone in the game is likely to be clueless so teamwork turns into you actively telling your partner a build order etc. It's just pretty simple to play a completely safe/standard game and go to #1 in a few games, which is just not possible in 1v1 ladder.

Huh? Are we talking about professional gamers or something? I don't remember there ever being big names for 2v2 in BW.

If you play in platinum random 2v2's, most likely your teammate understand the game pretty decent too.

mannerbot

Fragamemnon said:
Pro tip for everyone-instead of being a one-trick pony and trying to win with one-base all in play every game (like 50% of the players out there), instead try to think about everything in terms of "what can I do to expand my economy and subsequent unit production as much as possible while ensuring I don't lose to stupid cheese and all in builds". Once you start reliably answering that question, you'll be better situating yourself to the developing SC2 metagame instead of eventually being left with practiced builds and trained reflexes which aren't as useful.

I dunno, metagame to me is more showing one build and doing another or timing that +1 upgrade just in time so that they can't stop it. :p I don't think that something as simple as expanding can be considered a step to developing the metagame, but it's true that at the core StarCraft is a game about economy and map control.

Most new players are content to sit in their bases and play SimCity, and maybe when they play against people of a similar skill level they'll get away with it and mistakenly believe that it's the correct way to play. To the contrary, if an opponent has no intention of ever venturing outside of their base, one should simply set up a containment outside of his opponent's base and either expand for free and get the economy going, or tech for free and get a tech advantage. The latter is ideal in cases where there is a hard counter to whatever you've scouted your opponent doing, but of course having more money makes that easier.

butts

My email notice came in 11 hours or so ago so it was pretty recent. Not sure when the 3rd wave started, I haven't been following too closely.

mannerbot

aznpxdd said:
Huh? Are we talking about professional gamers or something? I don't remember there ever being big names for 2v2 in BW.

If you play in platinum random 2v2's, most likely your teammate understand the game pretty decent too.

I don't necessarily mean progamers, but "known" or decently rated on ICCup, etc. Not for 2v2 because, like I said, it's never been the real focus of StarCraft. And no, most platinum players have a mediocre grasp of the game at best and most don't even seem to have viable build orders. Besides, 2v2 is all about teamwork so what does playing with a random teammate even prove?

aznpxdd

mannerbot said:
I don't necessarily mean progamers, but "known" or decently rated on ICCup, etc. Not for 2v2 because, like I said, it's never been the real focus of StarCraft. And no, most platinum players have a mediocre grasp of the game at best and most don't even seem to have viable build orders.

Its never been the focus in the professional leagues...if you take away 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4..SC would be boring as fuck.

mannerbot

That's an opinion and I'm sure plenty of people share that sentiment. I'm looking forward to playing 3v3 and 4v4 when the game comes out. :) At the same time, I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on much if the game was just 1v1 with obs.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
autobzooty said:
Are all these people still getting invites from the 3rd wave? Seems odd for there to STILL be new people getting invites. You'd think all the invites in a wave would go out at once.
i get the feeling that there aren't really any "waves" now. blizz are just rolling out invites incrementally, steadily increasing server load and their range of testing.

lol mila and demi and all you other jokers, i bet you never had a guy bail on some sc2 beta action to go play sc1 campaign. That's just how pimp I am

srsly though I just rage over and over at how blizzard wont let us do 3v3 or 4v4 still. I can't handle the pure white rage building up inside me when I'm sitting in a party lobby where 3 guys are observing because blizzard wont get its shit together and give us some damn 4v4 maps.

/serious
/no, seriously

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
well shit... i salvaged a bunker and the game crashed spectacularly.

just at the point it exploded the game froze, the sound emitted a high pitch buzz, and the entire computer locked up. had to restart.

never had SC1 crash my computer. blizzard's standards slipping? i think so. ;)

aznpxdd

Ice Monkey said:
lol mila and demi and all you other jokers, i bet you never had a guy bail on some sc2 beta action to go play sc1 campaign. That's just how pimp I am

srsly though I just rage over and over at how blizzard wont let us do 3v3 or 4v4 still. I can't handle the pure white rage building up inside me when I'm sitting in a party lobby where 3 guys are observing because blizzard wont get its shit together and give us some damn 4v4 maps.

/serious
/no, seriously

Yes, yes, we need 3v3 badly. 3v3 is where I can actually try some wacky builds and strat, can't do that in 2v2 or 1v1 really.

ggs SC2 Gaffers..

We had a room with like 8-10 people going there where we swapped out with people spectating and playing. that worked really well.

After tonight Ive come to this conclusion.

-Roaches are absolutely OP'd
-Marines/Mauraders/Medvacs are also OP (Specially with Stim)
-Not really much you can do vs reaper rush other then pray and move and then get distracted and lose.
-Protoss was over nerfed.. specially zealots
-Demi always goes MMM
-SafetyFirst always goes Immortals :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So, finally got a beta invite. :D

Question, is there any way to play 1vs1 against a CPU? I feel like i dont have time to learn all the buildings, units and upgrades when there is some human on the other side who is probably rushing it.

Did 1 match, human vs human. I won, but the match took 1 hour lol. But still would like some CPU matches to get a little more ready, if they do exist.

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
ggs SC2 Gaffers..

We had a room with like 8-10 people going there where we swapped out with people spectating and playing. that worked really well.

After tonight Ive come to this conclusion.

-Roaches are absolutely OP'd
-Marines/Mauraders/Medvacs are also OP (Specially with Stim)
-Not really much you can do vs reaper rush other then pray and move and then get distracted and lose.
-Protoss was over nerfed.. specially zealots
-Demi always goes MMM
-SafetyFirst always goes Immortals :lol

Wait, what's your sn in game? I was Deltron.

Toss needs storm to deal with Terran infantry, just like the first I think.

Wait nvm, your Colossus were doing a pretty good job. Until they got hunt down by my vikings. :D

PezRadar

aznpxdd said:
Wait, what's your sn in game? I was Deltron.

Toss needs storm to deal with Terran infantry, just like the first I think.

Wait nvm, your Colossus were doing a pretty good job. Until they got hunt down by my vikings. :D

Im possible to get storm so quickly though =[

And why must stalker suck so hard in this game =[

aznpxdd

Yeah stalker pretty much blow unless its a really small micro intensive skirmish. They get wiped by pretty much everything mid-late game.

mint

Banned
Before I got the beta I had no clue what I was watching when viewing SC replays but now I do. Its great to understand the concept now. I still need to learn building names for Zerg and Protoss tho

jlai

hadar said:
Woo, got in!
Anywhere I can read about the Protoss? General strats or so would be awesome.

Anyone? As someone that never really played much of SC1, I could use all the help I can find.

Top Bottom