• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

mint

Banned
For mmm I think colossi and ultras own em hard. That was my problem. But then again, my problem is using the mmm early enough.

Freki

The thing which upsets me most is that I have every single Blizzard game registered and still didn't get an invite.
But some people who only own WoW and probably have no real interest in SC2 got in.
*sad Panda*

Insaniac

was gonna sc2 last night with some GAFers but I got a bad case of the pukies. better now and looking to some 2v2 craziness tonight! insaniac.insaniac

YYZ

Did I have to sign up for something in order to be in the pool of potential recipients of a key? I'm afraid I have zero chance now and should stop caring.

fatty

I had a dream last night that I got into the beta. I kid you not, in my dream I logged onto my Battle.net account and there it was waiting for me, ready to download. I even doubted myself in the dream, and logged on Battle.net on a different computer just to make sure it was real. I then took a screenshot of me downloading the beta to rub in my friends face who downloaded the cracked version. I was king of the world.

Then I woke up and here I am. Just checked Battle.net again and yep, no beta.

FoxSpirit

fatty said:
I had a dream last night that I got into the beta. I kid you not, in my dream I logged onto my Battle.net account and there it was waiting for me, ready to download. I even doubted myself in the dream, and logged on Battle.net on a different computer just to make sure it was real. I then took a screenshot of me downloading the beta to rub in my friends face who downloaded the cracked version. I was king of the world.

charliebrown.gif

Tworak

fatty said:

:lol

I know the feeling, man!

Corum

YYZ said:
Did I have to sign up for something in order to be in the pool of potential recipients of a key? I'm afraid I have zero chance now and should stop caring.

From reading this thread, the later you sign up the more likely you'll be accepted in the next wave of invites.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
fatty said:

gotta be honest here..... as sad as it is, i had the same dream.

Sh1ner

In my desperation I was got the beta with the AI addon 6.0 to practice before the beta key/game comes out:

Anyway the AI is kicking my ass, its easy 6.0 version:

1st match was TvT, I got wrecked and rage quit. I couldnt expand because of a constant assault of siege+Thors+a fleet of vikings+ marauders.

2nd match TvT
From the beginning I held my choke point hoping to move out with siege tanks with MMM support. The AI managed had its mix of units down that I would have enough time to rebuild for the next wave only to loose near everything on my choke. As I expanded so did the toll on my side get worse. Even though the AI ignores my expansions and walks directly to my main base unless they are in LOS. I was holding off against a massive army that got obliterated and then the thors came. I saved my ass with stimmed marines since I had lost everything in that same wave. In the end I won by forcing the AI to exhaust all its minerals while stopping it grabbing the last 2 expansions. I was also out of minerals and had only 2 ghosts, 7 marines, and a shitload of SUVs. I used my SUVs as fodder to draw in the massive army and after they lost all their units to the NUKES, I won with 3 marines :| Ghost had 56 kills. Poor SUV's your sacrifice will be remembered.

3rd Match, it was over before I started. I had lost at the first rush of zerglings

4th Match was TvZ, this time I held my choke easier but I won be banshee/viking sniping all the expansions, except the AI did an Observer drop in the back of my base. It would have won if it didn't just use 1 Observer.

I look forward to the final product is all I can say!

YYZ

Do you guys have the newest cache files? I just want to fucking watch replays, but I think I need the newest cache files which I can't find.

Zaptruder

Banned
Technosteve said:
you had me at tasteless. Where is he going to release...

No idea. I'd keep tabs on his twitter channel though... @callmetasteless

actually... maybe there's no commentary, just replays... that's no fun.

Corum

BrknGuitar said:
AI 6.0 is out? I haven't seen it anywhere. How long ago did they release it? Getting sick of beating 5.5 AI.

Yesterday I believe. It's not a huge improvement over 5.5. though.

Sh1ner

I think it came out in the las 2 days, its hard, I'm using the easy one. I dunno what the rules are but I think the site has already been mentioned / linked to.

Sh1ner

Your odds are the same as everyone else, I checked on the blizz site, time does not affect your standing, neither does how many games you have, how often you play etc. Everyone is equal in the eyes of the beta.

Its why some are abit miffed and why I think I have a chance too :D

edit: anyone else using the AI 6.0 and getting slow downs during the bigger battles? When your in mp playing a real opponent is the slowdown just as bad?

Milabrega

We had a nice lobby running NeoGaf games last night. Between 6-8 people doing 2v2's with the others spectating and rotating in and out between games. One Battle.Net UI fix I'd like to see is the ability to make a game like that while in a party. I had to drop out to host and invite everyone individually after each round, kind of got tedious.

DemiMatt's Turret drop was the most hilarious move I've seen since that Planetary fortress rush video.

Protoss definitely feel handicapped in the early game in the low rung apm crowd. Roach Rush and Marine/Marauder/Medivac are simply too effective. The protoss player struggles to defend and can't even consider attacking, unless there's a mismatch in skill level. Mid game however Protoss do great, Colossi are incredible vs those two builds.

Desert Oasis is a horrible map, I knew I wouldn't like it from watching the streams. Actually playing on it highlights just how miserable it really is. Wide surface area bases, far off expansions, multiple assault paths.

Hellion's purpose really seem redundant. Their most effective ability, worker harass, is done quicker and more effective by reapers. Quick Tech'n to them leaves you vulnerable to Roach Rush and MMM's. Given the current strength of those two you'd be foolish to go Hellion harass. At least with a Reaper Harass plan, you can flex back to MMM rather easily should your attack inflict less than ideal damage.

traveler

Not Wario
I've seen CowGoMoo do some crazy micro with the hellions, but, yeah, never found a particular use myself. I wonder if Blizzard considers them "working as intended" right now as I don't see a single change made to them over the 3 patches. I guess they simply might not have gotten around to them yet.

YYZ

So anyone get in with Windows XP SP2?

And is anyone CURRENTLY playing replays without a key? I need a little help. I don't care about playing the game, just replays.

aznpxdd

Milabrega said:
We had a nice lobby running NeoGaf games last night. Between 6-8 people doing 2v2's with the others spectating and rotating in and out between games. One Battle.Net UI fix I'd like to see is the ability to make a game like that while in a party. I had to drop out to host and invite everyone individually after each round, kind of got tedious.

DemiMatt's Turret drop was the most hilarious move I've seen since that Planetary fortress rush video.

Protoss definitely feel handicapped in the early game in the low rung apm crowd. Roach Rush and Marine/Marauder/Medivac are simply too effective. The protoss player struggles to defend and can't even consider attacking, unless there's a mismatch in skill level. Mid game however Protoss do great, Colossi are incredible vs those two builds.

Desert Oasis is a horrible map, I knew I wouldn't like it from watching the streams. Actually playing on it highlights just how miserable it really is. Wide surface area bases, far off expansions, multiple assault paths.

Hellion's purpose really seem redundant. Their most effective ability, worker harass, is done quicker and more effective by reapers. Quick Tech'n to them leaves you vulnerable to Roach Rush and MMM's. Given the current strength of those two you'd be foolish to go Hellion harass. At least with a Reaper Harass plan, you can flex back to MMM rather easily should your attack inflict less than ideal damage.

Pretty sure that was me (deltron)? :p

Milabrega said:

Yeah thanks for the invite last night. I have been playing a couple games a day as I've been pretty busy, but I appreciate playing against crazy peeps like you. I hadn't even tried the zerg or protoss until today, so excuse my n00bishness (even though I've played Starcraft for like 10 years). Anyway, hope to be able to practice soon!

Agree with your hellion write-up too.

ACE 1991

Alright guys, something's fishy here. I received my beta invite in the mail, telling me to go to battle.net and download the game. As soon as I tried to log in, I was told that an authenticator code needed to be typed in... I've never activated a blizzard authenticator on my account before. Am I just stupid and missing something, or has my account been compromised?

nilbog21

Banned
Corum said:
Yesterday I believe. It's not a huge improvement over 5.5. though.

i enjoy the 6.0 "cheat" ai that mines twice as fast. only way to get decent competition vs the comps :/ the regular ai bloowws

arotator

Neo Member
So I am in fact able to play. I definitely need to brush up on my SC skills, however. I've been playing too much Company of Heroes.

Since the question has come up a number of times, I did sign up for the beta, if not on the first day, within that first week.

Also, I have a 4 year old laptop (Core 2 duo, ATI X1600) so the performance isn't the greatest. I'll be building a desktop over the summer for SC2, no time now with grad school though.

Feel free to add me to the list. And my nick is arotator, same as here.

zoukka

I want in some GAF games sometime D: zoukka.fin

I hate 2v2 with randoms... haven't had a decent match yet. It's always overkill for one side or the other.

And my friend added me in the game and I didn't see anything, no invites, nothing. Is the adding system that crappy?

aznpxdd

Yeah I don't think it tells the other player you've added them. I've added a bunch of people on GAF, but I don't think half of them know I exist. :lol

ACE 1991

ACE 1991 said:
Alright guys, something's fishy here. I received my beta invite in the mail, telling me to go to battle.net and download the game. As soon as I tried to log in, I was told that an authenticator code needed to be typed in... I've never activated a blizzard authenticator on my account before. Am I just stupid and missing something, or has my account been compromised?

Anyone?

mint said:
For mmm I think colossi and ultras own em hard. That was my problem. But then again, my problem is using the mmm early enough.
Of course they do.

Unfortunately you don't need any type of upgrade for vikings and they already have starports up since they are making medivacs and Collosus are considered ground AND AIR so its fucking retarded on how to counter that.

zoukka

aznpxdd said:
Yeah I don't think it tells the other player you've added them. I've added a bunch of people on GAF, but I don't think half of them know I exist. :lol

Well let's keep adding our nicks in these messages while posting to help us out. I have 1 friend in my list :lol

zoukka.fin

Corum

ACE 1991 said:

I had the same problem but I have no idea how it happened, I'd like to think I'm generally savvy enough not to let myself be compromised but anyway just send an email to Blizzard proving that you are the owner of the account. They sorted mine out within a day.

I advise you to get the authenticator just as an additional safety measure. It's free for the iTouch and iPhone.

ACE 1991

Corum said:
I had the same problem but I have no idea how it happened, I'd like to think I'm generally savvy enough not to let myself be compromised but anyway just send an email to Blizzard proving that you are the owner of the account. They sorted mine out within a day.

I advise you to get the authenticator just as an additional safety measure. It's free for the iTouch and iPhone.

Yup, I sent them an email. Thanks

Milabrega

I've tried to add you zoukka about to get on but it says unable to find are you in EU beta. try adding me, I'm Milabrega.Mila and yeah there's no notification if you add someone, just gotta send someone a message to let them know whether them in game or no, they also have to add the .___ part of the name which doesn't show up in game chat. Aznpxdd I know you and your partner did the turret drop that one game, but Demimatt did it first and it was hilarious. I learned the hard way Colossi are also considered air by running right into some turrets.

The List is a good place to look and add people from NeoGaf, though most people haven't listed their battle.net names.

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
Of course they do.

Unfortunately you don't need any type of upgrade for vikings and they already have starports up since they are making medivacs and Collosus are considered ground AND AIR so its fucking retarded on how to counter that.

Hm, but by the time you can get collosus, I think you can tech to high templars instead. I'm honestly shocked to see the lack of HT's in SC2. They were pretty much the hard counter to zerg (everything) and terran infantry in the first.

edit: hm, forgot they have feedback as well. Feedback can pretty much cripple the medivacs and damage them too.

Milabrega

Finally finished my 1v1 qualifiers, Silver league 27th. Lost my final qualifier match by getting wormed thrice over. Stopped it once, repelled it the second time, but I was too taxed and spread out the third time it happened.

kiryogi

Banned
I'm gonna agree on Protoss being overnerfed. They seriously have a horrible early game. I've been toying with the 6.0 AI and with it being as aggressive as it is. I'm always on the defensive most of the time.

Corum

Anyone know how many drone/scvs/probes you require to efficiently gather vespene gas from a extractor/refinery/assimilator? At the moment I assign 3.

Corum said:
Anyone know how many drone/scvs/probes you require to efficiently gather vespene gas from a extractor/refinery/assimilator? At the moment I assign 3.
It depends on how far away your command center/nexus/hatchery is from the gas. Only one worker can be in the gas facility at a time, so to efficiently mine, just make sure that there's never more than one worker waiting outside at a time. Usually that means 2 or 3 workers.

Sh1ner

Corum said:

In the HDStarcraft/Husky vids they assigns 2 each, thats the same for minerals for 1 crystal thingy. Anymore the SUVs end up queuing unless the nexus/whatever is further away then usual.

edit: beaten by autobzooty, how does one delete his own post?

Top Bottom