• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

DemiMatt

mint said:
No one's online ;(

currently at work and id imagine the east coast people are either in class or finishing up work.

Ill be home ~ 7? 730 tonight west coast depending if I go to the gym or not

So I registered at battle.net, I added SC one to my account, then I added my pc info to it, and finally I chcked on the StarCraft section of the beta. So did I do everything right? any thing else I have to do to get into the beta besides wait for the e-mail?

Helmholtz

fifasnipe2224 said:
So I registered at battle.net, I added SC one to my account, then I added my pc info to it, and finally I chcked on the StarCraft section of the beta. So did I do everything right? any thing else I have to do to get into the beta besides wait for the e-mail?
Once you've uploaded your system specs and have checked off the betas you're interested in you're done.

aznpxdd

I just kinda feel 2v2 in the beta right now really lacks variety. I mean shit, if I'm Terran in a 2v2, what other choice do I have but to go MMM? Right now, all the maps are way too similar (other than Twilight Fortress) and really too small to try any strategy but rush, rush, rush.

ACE 1991

ACE 1991 said:
One question: It appears that I'm getting terrible input lag when all settings are set to medium. Anyone know what a possible cause/setting could be? I've tried enabling "reduce input lag" which didn't help.

Any ideas?

i dunno if you feel the same way as me azn but I'm having a hard time playing right now because I don't like rushing with the same tactics in order to win. They seem to think you don't want to play because you don't want to be analyzed or whatever, and I don't really care if that's the case, it's a perfectly justifiable reason IMHO, but when you mentioned how you don't like feeling trapped into rushrushrush mode it reminded me of how I am struggling to enjoy playing because I am forced to try as hard as I can to improve my game as much as humanly possible towards uber-pro play and stuff.

It's like how when I played some sc1 matches with some of you guys, I remember I got zergling rushed within like 2 minutes. It was a fair way to kill me off but I had no fun and then I had to wait the next half hour or more in order to improve my game.

In the same vein, I want some 4v4 in sc2 beta REALLY BAD because at the VERY least if I get rushed like that, I still can do something to help my team by saving at least a drone. 2v2 is almost as bad as ffa because if you get bumrushed the game is basically over.

I feel like I didn't really get much of a point across but whatevs :lol

ACE 1991 said:
Any ideas?

well, set EVERYTHING to the lowest value, see how it runs. Then increase shaders to medium and see how it runs (look at a replay!). if you cant handle even that, then you need to run shaders on low, but at that point you can try increasing everything but shaders if you'd like and that may run well too. I never try aa/af until I find a good setting for everything else. 3d models make your fps drop. Even 2d models make it drop. It's always a good idea to see how it runs in 1024x768 and go from there.

There's really nothing we can tell you about it unless we have the same system. This game is both dependent on cpu AND gpu in the strangest ways so the only way to find out is by trying everything. If your cpu isnt strong enough, the game will actually chug right when you start moving units because of the exceptional pathfinding. Watching replays is the best way to see how the game runs without pathfinding being a factor.

Shaders make no sense in this game, IMHO. I can have everything on high but shaders, then i switch to high shaders and it chugs or i lose half my framerate no matter what system I'm using. Thankfully I like how it looks in low so thats a very good option for me.

That's all I got. Hope it helps!

aznpxdd

Ice Monkey said:
i dunno if you feel the same way as me azn but I'm having a hard time playing right now because I don't like rushing with the same tactics in order to win. They seem to think you don't want to play because you don't want to be analyzed or whatever, and I don't really care if that's the case, it's a perfectly justifiable reason IMHO, but when you mentioned how you don't like feeling trapped into rushrushrush mode it reminded me of how I am struggling to enjoy playing because I am forced to try as hard as I can to improve my game as much as humanly possible towards uber-pro play and stuff.

Yep, I feel exactly the same way.

Not to sound like I have a big ego, but I think I'm a pretty good player with Terran in team games. But, having to do the exact same thing over and over just to have a chance at winning is wearing thin for me. I've thought about going other strategies, but honestly, they are nowhere as effective as MMM.

I think they need to bring lurkers back. That'll force Terran players to bring tanks and raven into the mix.

aznpxdd said:

Not to sound like I have a big ego, but I think I'm a pretty good player with Terran in team games. But, having to do the exact same thing over and over just to have a chance at winning is wearing thin for me. I've thought about going other strategies, but honestly, they are nowhere as effective as MMM.
As Zerg Ive swapped strats..

I went 9-1 in placement and i did some Zerglings with Banelings.. Some just straight to hydra.. Some roach rushes..

A few i got mutas and even one I went and got infestors.. :D

aznpxdd said:

I think they need to bring lurkers back. That'll force Terran players to bring tanks and raven into the mix.

mmm is effective, but well-used banelings completely destroy it! I'm unsure about how protoss counters it but I bet if you just spend all your extra minerals on zealots and get charge you could do well. I find it amazing how effective mmm is considering there are definite counters that nobody seems to be good at using

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ice Monkey said:
mmm is effective, but well-used banelings completely destroy it! I'm unsure about how protoss counters it but I bet if you just spend all your extra minerals on zealots and get charge you could do well. I find it amazing how effective mmm is considering there are definite counters that nobody seems to be good at using
Colossus with support literally melt MMM.
Zealots (even with charge) get slowed and owned by any terran range ball as the MM can target all the zealots at once and the zealots can only hit a small percentage of the terrans.

Here is an extreme example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0txZBDDSA4

YYZ

Is anyone playing the beta with Windows XP SP2? I'm afraid that I won't get one when I could have because I don't have SP3. I would upgrade to SP3 or Windows 7 if I could, otherwise I wouldn't ask.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
YYZ said:
Is anyone playing the beta with Windows XP SP2? I'm afraid that I won't get one when I could have because I don't have SP3. I would upgrade to SP3 or Windows 7 if I could, otherwise I wouldn't ask.
Rockin SP2. No invite.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i tried AI 6.1, i lost to it ZvZ to a zergling rush but won TvP. unit aggro is still wonky as they'll prioritse whatevers attacking them or their closet allies, so you can reaper harass while a bunker mows them down.

ACE 1991

Ice Monkey said:
well, set EVERYTHING to the lowest value, see how it runs. Then increase shaders to medium and see how it runs (look at a replay!). if you cant handle even that, then you need to run shaders on low, but at that point you can try increasing everything but shaders if you'd like and that may run well too. I never try aa/af until I find a good setting for everything else. 3d models make your fps drop. Even 2d models make it drop. It's always a good idea to see how it runs in 1024x768 and go from there.

There's really nothing we can tell you about it unless we have the same system. This game is both dependent on cpu AND gpu in the strangest ways so the only way to find out is by trying everything. If your cpu isnt strong enough, the game will actually chug right when you start moving units because of the exceptional pathfinding. Watching replays is the best way to see how the game runs without pathfinding being a factor.

Shaders make no sense in this game, IMHO. I can have everything on high but shaders, then i switch to high shaders and it chugs or i lose half my framerate no matter what system I'm using. Thankfully I like how it looks in low so thats a very good option for me.

That's all I got. Hope it helps!

All right, thanks a lot. I'll tinker around with the settings.

calder

Huzzah, won my first 1v1 match! :lol I got creamed my first 3, and the very first loss which I don't count (game went nuts graphically and froze as soon as it loaded and I had to quit out, luckily dialing down the shaders seemed to fix it up).

This one was against a guy who only had played a few times himself, and I still nearly lost. If he hadn't wasted a bunch of time killing my expo with his 30 zeals and stalkers I was toast, only a seige tank and a handful of marines guarding my choke point. Luckily I had my small force of banshee's near his main and when I destroyed his nexus he panicked and ran his troops back to his base, giving me time to make some more banshees and a few vikings. Such a titanic battle of noobery all around, it was like two drunk homeless guys slapping at each other under a bridge.

Bisonian

Well, I officially feel guilty about playing ZvP in 1v1's now. I really have no idea how you would handle early game as protoss with any sort of success. The options for holding off the roach rush are so limited and require throwing away a lot more resources then the zerg spends while also allowing him to get complete map control. Provided you do make it tough to get into your base, then you have immortals to counter the roach which are utterly useless when the mutalisks get there. Seems like an extremely tough matchup.

I love this game to death, and it's everything I want it to be... but let's just say I'm very interested to see the balance changes in the next patch. I suspect my beloved zerg will be taking a beating, regardless of the issues between them and MMM.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
My friend got into the beta and let me try it out on his laptop at school today.

Son of a bitch it is so good. Cannot wait to be able to play it for more then 15 mins. So many amazing changes.

Milabrega

Bisonian said:
Well, I officially feel guilty about playing ZvP in 1v1's now. I really have no idea how you would handle early game as protoss with any sort of success. T

I played maybe 20 games this evening, random gave me protoss 15 times, the pains of PvZ and even PvT was felt. The only chance vs zergs is to seal your gate with canons + gateways and hold off as long as possible to Immortals/Colosssi/Warp Rays depending on the situation once you can build tier 2 units.

With the zealot gimp last patch, early Protoss units simply require a disproportional amount of gas for early units than Zerg and Terran. Terran provide for the greatest variety in play right now. MMM is stock sure, but the development path allows for easy flexibility for other strategies based on scouting. Reaper Harass, Hellions rush or drop, quick Banshees or vikings to counter colossi or muta/warp rays are all viable while continuing to pursue the MMM path.

I think next patch, we'll see Marauders range, cost, or develop time changed and/or the slow on its attack reduced/removed. I think we'll also see gas expenditures for roach's and maybe even burrow tech go up. Perhaps even making the Roach Warden itself cost some gas.

So.. I decided to embark on my Platinum stuff tonight..

Lost my 1st one to a Terran.. I was harassing Minerals and I kept him contained but he managed to get a ghost out and nuke my main base but I got my mineral guys off.. He was trying a few times but somehow I just forgot to get a damn Overseer over that area again.. ugh.

Then he came in with Marines and Medivacs which countered my lings and Mutas unfortunately and I couldn't do much.. I was getting banelings too =[ oh well.

The second game.. I totally rocked. It was against a Protoss on Lost Temple.. I scouted his base early with an Overlord and saw he 1 gateway'd and got a Cybernetics core.. So I assumed he was teching to Immortals. I then kept with Lings.. and went to Lair fast.. got speed upgrade on lings.. and was gonna build hydras.. but I sent a good group of 20-30 lings at him.. he was coming for me with zealots and sentrys (wat?) and caught him as hew as running to me.. He tried running away but I surrounded him and raped him.

1-1 in Platinum! Maybe I'm not that shitty afterall.. I'm 10-2 in ladder play.

Bisonian said:
Well, I officially feel guilty about playing ZvP in 1v1's now. I really have no idea how you would handle early game as protoss with any sort of success. The options for holding off the roach rush are so limited and require throwing away a lot more resources then the zerg spends while also allowing him to get complete map control. Provided you do make it tough to get into your base, then you have immortals to counter the roach which are utterly useless when the mutalisks get there. Seems like an extremely tough matchup.

I love this game to death, and it's everything I want it to be... but let's just say I'm very interested to see the balance changes in the next patch. I suspect my beloved zerg will be taking a beating, regardless of the issues between them and MMM.

Zerg roaches will take a beating.. But I have a complete diff approach to Toss if I see them going immortals which is 90% of the time.

aznpxdd

Hazaro said:
Colossus with support literally melt MMM.
Zealots (even with charge) get slowed and owned by any terran range ball as the MM can target all the zealots at once and the zealots can only hit a small percentage of the terrans.

Here is an extreme example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0txZBDDSA4

You're not gonna survive the initial and mid rushes teching to Colossus in a 2v2. Also colossus are easy as hell to counter with MMM since you can pump out Vikings fast.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TurtleSnatcher said:
I then kept with Lings.. and went to Lair fast.. got speed upgrade on lings.. and was gonna build hydras.. but I sent a good group of 20-30 lings at him.. he was coming for me with zealots and sentrys (wat?) and caught him as hew as running to me.. He tried running away but I surrounded him and raped him.
Sentries rock! Favorite unit in SCII. Adorable little things.

Plus force field is amazing.

aznpxdd said:
You're not gonna survive the initial and mid rushes teching to Colossus in a 2v2. Also colossus are easy as hell to counter with MMM since you can pump out Vikings fast.

This x 5000

Vikings is what ruins it. Such an easy air unit for them to get to counter. Just make 4 or 5 and u can focus fire em down while the rest of ur army is busy with M&M's

Hazaro said:
Sentries rock! Favorite unit in SCII. Adorable little things.

Plus force field is amazing.

They are good. But not "Lets build 5 of them and only have 5 zealots with them" good. Likewise I had no ranged units too :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I knew the counter, now two of you are being mean :[

Yeah I wouldn't make 5 lots and 5 sentries. That is 500 gas early game geez.

I think he was expecting roaches.. Also another thing I did was he kept sending probes into my base to scout..

Id leave 2 zlings out.. and my queen.. and hide my big group of zlings off to the side. He never saw them and figured I had no army.. oh man was he wrong ;p

Bisonian

Milabrega said:
I think next patch, we'll see Marauders range, cost, or develop time changed and/or the slow on its attack reduced/removed. I think we'll also see gas expenditures for roach's and maybe even burrow tech go up. Perhaps even making the Roach Warden itself cost some gas.

I agree that something needs to be done to MMM, and it'll probably be the marauder getting targeted.

I have an idea sort of off the beaten path for fixing the zerg/roach situation, and it would take some testing to see how feasible it would be. Switch the tech position of the roach warren and the hydralisk den. This would almost assuredly require toning down the damage of the hydralisk (perhaps a tier 2 research would give it back?). However, it would stick the roach at what I think is a fairer position in the tech tree, open up early game options for the zerg instead of "mass roaches", and maybe more importantly help with a huge glaring flaw in the zerg tree: give you a chance against air rushes.

The zerg should have a Tier-1 anti-air option... something, anything. No, the queen doesn't count. I understand the mentality that as zerg you should be constantly pushing the opponents base and not allow for early air, but with choke points up to every base it's just not always possible. It seems grossly unfair that you get a guaranteed loss simply because you didn't jump tech, especially since I've always equated the zerg with tier-1 unit swarms anyway.

Maybe I'm way off though on that idea - I'm still coming to grips with the game in these early stages of the beta.

clav

Someone after going 5-0 in placement matches, and then a win-lost trade for the last five, making my record 7-3, I was placed in gold 1v1.

I went through a five round losing streak against people who were legitimately good or used cheesy tactics like roach rush or marauder rush. Then, I finally ended with a win.

I'm now near the bottom of the gold league. I'll be downgraded to silver status if I don't keep winning, right?

Record is 8-8 for 1v1 overall.
1-5 in gold play.

========

One of the placement wins, someone tried to void ray rush me. I had absolutely no units and wasn't expect it.

However, I already expanded to many parts of the map, so I just warped in a bunch of stalkers and ran over his base.

Man, that felt good.

=========

Bisonian said:
I agree that something needs to be done to MMM, and it'll probably be the marauder getting targeted.

I have an idea sort of off the beaten path for fixing the zerg/roach situation, and it would take some testing to see how feasible it would be. Switch the tech position of the roach warren and the hydralisk den. This would almost assuredly require toning down the damage of the hydralisk (perhaps a tier 2 research would give it back?). However, it would stick the roach at what I think is a fairer position in the tech tree, open up early game options for the zerg instead of "mass roaches", and maybe more importantly help with a huge glaring flaw in the zerg tree: give you a chance against air rushes.

The zerg should have a Tier-1 anti-air option... something, anything. No, the queen doesn't count. I understand the mentality that as zerg you should be constantly pushing the opponents base and not allow for early air, but with choke points up to every base it's just not always possible. It seems grossly unfair that you get a guaranteed loss simply because you didn't jump tech, especially since I've always equated the zerg with tier-1 unit swarms anyway.

Maybe I'm way off though on that idea - I'm still coming to grips with the game in these early stages of the beta.

I say for zerg, roaches and hydralisks need to be switched in terms of tiers.

Roaches are way too overpowered in the hands of an excellent micro player, and the zerg has no anti-air in the beginning if they're void ray rushed.

The roach is like almost a better version of a lurker once they're upgraded as they can move around. They also heal like 100 HP a second and cost only 75 mins/ 1 food as opposed to hydras (150 mins/ 2 food). It's so cheap.

Yes, I usually have detection, but in games with 2v2s, my allies don't. Hence a lot of games I've played in 2v2s are with bad allies.

As a protoss player, I usually try to work my way up to immortals as they are good counters against terran tanks and roaches.

However, what the heck is good against marauders? Upgraded zeal legs with sentry shields?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Bisonian said:

I think the consensus is that they overnerfed the Protoss. Give zealots about 5 shield back, maybe add 5 seconds onto Chrono Boost. See what happens then.

They can deal with your roach->muta scenario by giving Phoenixes a buff.

claviertekky said:
Someone after going 5-0 in placement matches, and then a win-lost trade for the last five, making my record 7-3, I was placed in gold 1v1.

I went through a five round losing streak against people who were legitimately good or used cheesy tactics like roach rush or marauder rush. Then, I finally ended with a win.

I'm now near the bottom of the gold league. I'll be downgraded to silver status if I don't keep winning, right?

Record is 8-8 for 1v1 overall.
1-5 in gold play.

========

One of the placement wins, someone tried to void ray rush me. I had absolutely no units and wasn't expect it.

However, I already expanded to many parts of the map, so I just warped in a bunch of stalkers and ran over his base.

Man, that felt good.

=========

I say for zerg, roaches and hydralisks need to be switched in terms of tiers.

Roaches are way too overpowered in the hands of an excellent micro player, and the zerg has no anti-air in the beginning if they're void ray rushed.

The roach is like almost a better version of a lurker once they're upgraded as they can move around. They also heal like 100 HP a second and cost only 75 mins/ 1 food as opposed to hydras (150 mins/ 2 food). It's so cheap.

Yes, I usually have detection, but in games with 2v2s, my allies don't. Hence a lot of games I've played in 2v2s are with bad allies.

As a protoss player, I usually try to work my way up to immortals as they are good counters against terran tanks and roaches.

However, what the heck is good against marauders? Upgraded zeal legs with sentry shields?

Yea - I dont even know whats good vs Mauraders as zerg.. They rape roaches.. they seem to rape Hydras when u pair 10 Maurs vs 10 Hydras..

Zlings i guess would work but half the fucking time they have medivacs with them so its impossible to kill them.

I came so close in so many games tonight in Platinum only to lose to some BS like that.. MMM's are waay to OP.. god damnit Blizz patch this shit :p

Ive been trying to veer myself off the need for roaches as I know they will get the nerf bat. So far Zlings and Banelings work well.. Hydras just don't seem as hot as they use to be and get raped by MMM. Banelings btw don't work to well vs Mauraders.. i think it takes 3-4 to kill one or some shit. :(

I'm now 2-4 in Platinum. I had 3 straight losses which were close and somehow poorly managed on my end.. Im kinda mad at myself =[ Not to mention dumb luck of people just randomly finding my base.

My 2nd win came agst a guy who was Toss on that map where you are just a little space away from them but have to make a big U to get to them. I decided to 5 pool. Cheesy i know but I decided why not. I was able to harass and take out a pylon that powered 2 gateways.. but he had some zealots out and was able to repair and my lack of paying attention to my town kind of sucked. I did harass him for about 5-10 mins though with just zlings while slowly making a few resource guys. By the time I was done with my harassing and he got some cannons and about 6 zeals up.. I thought I was fucked. But I made 4 spine cralwers since I had so much money with just 5 drones lol.. then i went to work on rebuilding.

I quickly went Lair.. Got some roaches and hydras and pressed him and contained him. He then wiped that army out with Zeals/Stalks/Immortals (lots of immortals). I countered with Roaches/Hydras and lots of Speed Lings. Holy shit @ Speed Lings RAPING immortals. I literally micro'd and trapped about 4 of them on his retreat back to his base.

I then make a big push in and destroy half his town where he then goes

"You play this alot?"
I reply: "No not really"
"Bull shit you have insane micro"
I reply "Thanks!"

He then calls me a nerd :lol

What baffles me is that it was Platinum so he must have been Platinum too.. :\

Destroyed some folks with Milabrega in 2v2s earlier. Saved the replay of him playing zerg, copied some of his build tactics, and promptly pulled off a string of victories lol

I'm definitely loving the game. I'll also mirror the observation that protoss are totally fucked by roaches early. I got rushed early in a 2v2 by two protoss earlier today; I almost laughed as they came up the ramp, then quickly destroyed their zealots with the roaches I had, despite being outnumbered. My ally didn't even have to bail me out

That being said, once they get immortals things certainly change :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So shift-clicking is now my favorite thing in the world. Here's what you can do with it.

1.) Playing Terran? Tell your SCV to build a structure, then shift+right click on your minerals. After he's done, he'll go straight back to work. Also, if you find yourself with some excess minerals, using shift is a great way to build multiple supply depots in a row.

2.) Need to send a scout, but your macro isn't quite good enough to handle your base while controlling your worker? Shift+Right Click on your opponent's base several times, enough to make a full pass, then shift + right click once more to send it back to your base. Then, you only need to remind yourself to check what the worker is seeing and you don't even need to control it unless you decide to harass with it. Do this later in the game if you're hunting for expansions!

3.) Shift-Click Rally points! This way, you can periodically send your troops to a darker corner inside your base in case an Overlord or proxy Pylon is hiding out.

Im uploading the replay of me totally cheesing some guy and really annoying him early on. I failed horribly at it and somehow manage to not die early.

Also - People who rely on roach rushes are gonna get fucked if they keep resorting to that.. Better conform guys.. the nerf is gonna happen (probably this week). Also whenever I do roach rush.. it feels like the Toss has a immortal out by then and chokes their ramp with sentrys and zeals :(

mint said:
Has anyone tried siege + vikings vs MMs?
Seige would probably do good but vikings are terrible on the ground if fighting those guys.

MM's would rip through them.

Seige and hellions maybe? I dunno TvT is lame :p

Anyways..
Got my new replay up. I spare you all the pain of not listening to my crappy voice and I left this commentary free.. But its me 5 pooling and really harassing a Toss.. I didnt do so well with it but harassing was fun. His message at the end was hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcpbyPus1w - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwgBSTP9SQA - Part 2

BTW - I have been using this tactic alot.. Building an extractor then another drone.. then cancelling the extractor for 1 supply extra. Works well early on to pump another drone early with a marginal penalty.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
fifasnipe2224 said:
you may not get an email. check your battle.net profile regularly.

Durante

ZealousD said:
So shift-clicking is now my favorite thing in the world. Here's what you can do with it.

1.) Playing Terran? Tell your SCV to build a structure, then shift+right click on your minerals. After he's done, he'll go straight back to work. Also, if you find yourself with some excess minerals, using shift is a great way to build multiple supply depots in a row.

2.) Need to send a scout, but your macro isn't quite good enough to handle your base while controlling your worker? Shift+Right Click on your opponent's base several times, enough to make a full pass, then shift + right click once more to send it back to your base. Then, you only need to remind yourself to check what the worker is seeing and you don't even need to control it unless you decide to harass with it. Do this later in the game if you're hunting for expansions!

3.) Shift-Click Rally points! This way, you can periodically send your troops to a darker corner inside your base in case an Overlord or proxy Pylon is hiding out.
So, have you played any RTS since Starcraft 1?
(Not that I disagree, but command queuing is not really a recent innovation ;))

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea - I dont even know whats good vs Mauraders as zerg.. They rape roaches.. they seem to rape Hydras when u pair 10 Maurs vs 10 Hydras..

I then make a big push in and destroy half his town where he then goes

"You play this alot?"
I reply: "No not really"
"Bull shit you have insane micro"
I reply "Thanks!"

He then calls me a nerd :lol

What baffles me is that it was Platinum so he must have been Platinum too.. :\
Infestors fungal growth is fantastic for those MM clumps. It roots then AND does damage.
Hydras outrange marines by 1 with upgrade (right?) and the marines can't shoot your hydra line. Only mards left and hydra DPS >>>> Mards.

Add roaches and lings to soak damage.

You can play people as far down as 2 rankings above or below you. Did the pre-game say you were favored? You can also be placed in a placement match against David Kim on your first try so don't get too down. The fact he is plat will register in your placement consideration.

*Replay of you in that game would be nice too

mint

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Seige would probably do good but vikings are terrible on the ground if fighting those guys.

MM's would rip through them.

Seige and hellions maybe? I dunno TvT is lame :p

Anyways..
Got my new replay up. I spare you all the pain of not listening to my crappy voice and I left this commentary free.. But its me 5 pooling and really harassing a Toss.. I didnt do so well with it but harassing was fun. His message at the end was hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcpbyPus1w - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwgBSTP9SQA - Part 2

BTW - I have been using this tactic alot.. Building an extractor then another drone.. then cancelling the extractor for 1 supply extra. Works well early on to pump another drone early with a marginal penalty.
Well main reason for the vikings is if they put out some air unit which the siege cant handle.

mint

Banned
aznpxdd said:
A 1400+ Platinum player used immortals to kill the marauders. Back the immortals with high templars.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
just a few small things i "figured out" while playing the new 6.1.1 AI just now.

station colossus on cliffs that create a choke point and don't have ramp access. tell them to "hold" and let them wreak havoc on anything that walks by. not only does it serve to scout the area, but they're safe from anything that can only melee attack as there is no way for them to get up there (without getting "dropped").

5txk6p.jpg

of course, by the time you get colossus your enemy has plenty of ways to counter them with ranged or aerial units and you may only serve to let your expensive units die and leech resources, but i thought it was an interesting tactic. :lol I only have two shown in the picture, which aren't going to do much, but mass them (6-8?) on a cliff like that and tell them to hold, and they could easily wipe out an army passing through there. melee units will be worthless in a fight like that.

the other idea i had was if you want to quickly set-up a photo canon somewhere in the middle of the map where it can be an annoyance for the enemy (maybe on similar cliffs pictured above) and getting it up as quickly as possible if vital, you can just set your warp prism to project a power field and build the cannon immediately without having to wait for the pylon to build first (still build the pylon as a backup afterwards). i guess it's fairly obvious, but it was a light bulb moment i had while playing and thought i was pretty smart :p

edit: i love figuring out little things like this, even if they've already been thought of and are obvious to others. :D

mint said:
Anyone online?

Rank 18 now..woot :D
Dang.

Gonna need to review a couple of replays from last night to see what you were doing :D

mint said:

By the way, why the hell is HD selecting his SCVs like 5 times every second? Just for fun? Or is he actually doing something?

edit: I also am wondering why he didn't go straight for the spawning pool instead of messing around. Think he could have ended that game even faster. He ended up winning but was odd to me.

mint

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
Dang.
By the way, why the hell is HD selecting his SCVs like 5 times every second? Just for fun? Or is he actually doing something?
Starcraft pros tend to do that to keep their momentum levels high from the very start of the game. And it increases your APM.

Top Bottom