• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
JWong said:
This AI is hella smart.

It countered my mass BC quite effectively. I didn't think the AI would throw down perfectly placed Psi Storms.

I haven’t beaten AI 6.1 yet, it really brings the thunder. I just can’t build forces fast enough to counter the AI. I may have reached the limits of my macro game with AI 6.1 and gotten to a point where I just can’t beat it. I could beat AI 5.5 very consistently, but not this.

Yup, once SC2 releases I am destined for the copper league. :D

zoukka

TurtleSnatcher said:
Ive learned that just watching maybe 3-4 roaches and burowing those near death can change the whole playing field.. its crazy.

Yeah I always go with burrowroaches. But I don't know if that's all that great in all matches. I would've prob won with more roaches and no burrow.

Terran seems to be the hardest opponent for me. Protoss is surprisingly easy to speedling to death and mirror matches are pretty equal. I still need to learn to use banelings effectively.

Sh1ner

Mengy said:
I haven’t beaten AI 6.1 yet, it really brings the thunder. I just can’t build forces fast enough to counter the AI. I may have reached the limits of my macro game with AI 6.1 and gotten to a point where I just can’t beat it. I could beat AI 5.5 very consistently, but not this.

I assume I pld against 6.0? I have beaten it quite effectively with MMM at first holding most of the map then a mix of units and finished the AI off with air. Thats 6.0 easy with 0.7 harvest rate. I don't think I could beat 6.0 std especially when the first wave was 20 zealots vs my ramp hold off as terran.

zoukka said:
Yeah I always go with burrowroaches. But I don't know if that's all that great in all matches. I would've prob won with more roaches and no burrow.

Terran seems to be the hardest opponent for me. Protoss is surprisingly easy to speedling to death and mirror matches are pretty equal. I still need to learn to use banelings effectively.

The regen is so good though.. I mean 5 secs underground is like full health almost.. it helps because most of the time those guys are macroing and just throwing all their units everywhere.. I just burrow the ones getting focused on by a few of the guys and they then have to switch focus onto something else.. It can make such a huge difference. specially in marauder fights where they just literally eat through roaches.

Reposting for new page cuz im like that and all..

God I hate YouTube.

Anyways I apologize for it not being widescreen yet I saved the videos off to be widescreen. I will fix the 3rd video tonight. Not sure why its so much smaller.. I think Windows Movie Maker took the smaller sized movie and made it even smaller by converting it 2x.. wtf?

Here is the match that mint and I had last week with my lame voice commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KikWsr5Vw - Pt 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoHJ_nRfI_U - Pt 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewij4Ty2Fm4 - Pt 3 (Sorry.. Ill fix this one a bit tonight)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mengy said:

Are you going with the cheating version? Standard version is easy. Build, wait for their rush, counter-attack. They're dead.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i tried doing a FFA with CPUS, and the only difficulty available is "Very Easy"?

I'm disappoint. :(

Corum

Mengy said:

I've had no problem beating 6.1 and it doesn't feel much different to 5.5 so perhaps, like ZealousD said, you might have downloaded the wrong AI.

Trasher

TurtleSnatcher said:
The regen is so good though.. I mean 5 secs underground is like full health almost.. it helps because most of the time those guys are macroing and just throwing all their units everywhere.. I just burrow the ones getting focused on by a few of the guys and they then have to switch focus onto something else.. It can make such a huge difference. specially in marauder fights where they just literally eat through roaches.

Reposting for new page cuz im like that and all..
Awwww you spoil the game in your description! :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
ZealousD said:
Are you going with the cheating version? Standard version is easy. Build, wait for their rush, counter-attack. They're dead.

It says non-cheating when it loads up. And I’ve tried several strategies: if I rush them, they have a superior force and slaughter me. If I meet them out in the open, they always slaughter me. If I D up and wait for them to come to me, I always get massacred. Tonight I am going to try a combination of D’ing up and using harass tactics like reapers or dropships or void rays or mutas to take his economy out, and hope I can get a superior force advantage. It just seems to me like I simply can’t macro as efficiently or effectively as this 6.1 AI.

It surprised me to hear you guys say it is easy to beat tho, maybe I’m just that terribad, LOL.

Trasher

TurtleSnatcher said:
Guess I did.. :p

But its a nice match ! :)
Wow. That blue guy was a moron. I dunno how he expected to win massing marines and marauders that late in a game with no expansions. :lol

Trasher said:
Wow. That blue guy was a moron. I dunno how he expected to win massing marines and marauders that late in a game with no expansions. :lol
I'm thinking they thought taking out 1 guy was going to ensure them victory so they could go ez. Red was pretty decent at least and rebuilt his workers well.. I'm shocked I just held off all their ground units with the limited ground units I had.. though I was mixing very well.

I'm definitely going to try the baneling strategy. I have no problem with protoss in the beginning of games, but terran M&M attacks can cause me some trouble. Many times I'll beat the first wave, then get swamped a minute later by a second wave.

Noriym

Neo Member
I was pretty impressed with AI6.1 Cheating. I went Terran MMM and the AI went Immortals, Zealots, and disturbingly good microing Templars that pretty much single-handedly owned me with their Psi-storm. I mean the Psi Storm blast were perfectly placed! Was the first time I've lost to any AI while really trying. :lol

The AI is certainly beatable with other tactics. However this is the best yet, and soon they will implement counters for other tactics.

I'd really like to see the AI do things like backdoor Reaper, Banshee, or stalker rushes.

Still great for prep'in my game before battlenet!:D

ZealousD

Mengy said:
It says non-cheating when it loads up. And I’ve tried several strategies: if I rush them, they have a superior force and slaughter me. If I meet them out in the open, they always slaughter me. If I D up and wait for them to come to me, I always get massacred. Tonight I am going to try a combination of D’ing up and using harass tactics like reapers or dropships or void rays or mutas to take his economy out, and hope I can get a superior force advantage. It just seems to me like I simply can’t macro as efficiently or effectively as this 6.1 AI.

It surprised me to hear you guys say it is easy to beat tho, maybe I’m just that terribad, LOL.

What's your economy looking like in these games? Do you find yourself constantly waiting for minerals to pour in?

I just beat the AI real quick earlier. Just went for a double gateway with some zealots and stalkers. AI hit me with MM. Counter-attacked and they dead. Nothing special.

Insaniac

well the beta has started crashing on me now, even though Ive changed no settings on my computer.

I start it up, and the screen goes black tries to load for 5-10 seconds then it fails.

Anyone have this problem? How to fix?

also can I uninstall/reinstall the beta or do I need to redownload the whole thing?

Insaniac said:
well the beta has started crashing on me now, even though Ive changed no settings on my computer.

I start it up, and the screen goes black tries to load for 5-10 seconds then it fails.

also can I uninstall/reinstall the beta or do I need to redownload the whole thing?
Have you tried Blizzard tech support?

http://blizzard.com/support/

Trasher

TurtleSnatcher said:
I'm thinking they thought taking out 1 guy was going to ensure them victory so they could go ez. Red was pretty decent at least and rebuilt his workers well.. I'm shocked I just held off all their ground units with the limited ground units I had.. though I was mixing very well.
Yeah most likely right.

Unit variety definitely seems to win over anything that is massed. I like that. :)

Oh and btw, void rays are wayyyyy OP. You killed that nexus in like 4 seconds. No joke. :lol

zoukka

Haha my first glitch. I had 2 overlords spawning, and when they reached 99% they stopped for like a few minutes. I guess I should report... I saved the replay.

Insaniac said:

what drivers are you using? there was an issue with some nvidia drivers

Mengy said:

No, I think it is that you are average (much like myself) and the people who think its easy are very very good.

ZealousD

infinityBCRT said:
No, I think it is that you are average (much like myself) and the people who think its easy are very very good.

Good lord no, I am not good. If I was in the real beta I'd probably be Silver at best. When I beat the AI I had like a thousand minerals laying around. If I was "very very good" I could have easily macroed those resources away. My APM is only around 40.

Edit: BTW, is anybody else getting "valid thread" errors?

ACE 1991

Just got off the phone with a blizzard rep, who confirmed that my account had an authenticator added to it from a Chinese IP :lol

Downloading the beta now, can't fucking wait :D

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
ACE 1991 said:
Just got off the phone with a blizzard rep, who confirmed that my account had an authenticator added to it from a Chinese IP :lol

Downloading the beta now, can't fucking wait :D
I'm glad you got it all worked out man. Enjoy the beta whilst we all dream of being in your position :D

garath

Having never played Starcraft I, I didn't expect much from my first few games. Predictably, even in the Practice league I got owned. First game I was absolutely crushed. I got attacked by air units after 15 minutes and didn't have a single troop that could hit them :lol

Second game I at least kept up with economy but I spent so much time trying to figure out the tech trees and what to build next that I really didn't build much in the way of units. I got wrecked when he finally hit me.

I need to pour over the tech trees, unit descriptions and hotkey list before I'm going to be anything of a player.

It's fun, just tough getting owned so so hard.

Zzoram

Bisnic said:
So i tried doing a FFA with CPUS, and the only difficulty available is "Very Easy"?

I'm disappoint. :(

For the beta, they want people to play against other people. They know how the AI will play so it isn't much use for balance testing. They only allow Very Easy to give the worst of the worst noobs something to practice against.

Zzoram

garath said:
Having never played Starcraft I, I didn't expect much from my first few games. Predictably, even in the Practice league I got owned. First game I was absolutely crushed. I got attacked by air units after 15 minutes and didn't have a single troop that could hit them :lol

Second game I at least kept up with economy but I spent so much time trying to figure out the tech trees and what to build next that I really didn't build much in the way of units. I got wrecked when he finally hit me.

I need to pour over the tech trees, unit descriptions and hotkey list before I'm going to be anything of a player.

It's fun, just tough getting owned so so hard.

You'll learn with time. Consider playing a match or two of 1v1 against the Very Easy AI if you want to just read tooltip descriptions and see the tech tree before you play against people.

DemiMatt

Hello thar gaf!

Wanna get a massive game session on tonight? Rotating 2v2 with observers?!

Who wants to face my Planetary Defense + Raven Rush?!

DemiMatt said:
Hello thar gaf!

I'm down if my buddy doesn't wanna play WarCraft III with me tonight...

nilbog21 said:
how come noone is crying about betas anymore? Does everyone finally have a key except me ? ;[
They probably don't want to shit up an otherwise informative thread :)

Good luck to you though, the more the merrier!

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
nilbog21 said:
how come noone is crying about betas anymore? Does everyone finally have a key except me ? ;[
I truly wish that was the case. Hopefully everyone realizes that crying over the same thing repeatedly gets old pretty quick and has moderated themselves. I think there's officially 100+ beta participants on gaf now that we know of, but there has got to be SOOO many people who've yet to get in. None of my online friends have been lucky enough to get in.

kiryogi

Banned
nilbog21 said:

Folks are probably playing the cracked version in the mean time. On that note. AI 6.1.1 is out.

Milabrega

DemiMatt said:
Hello thar gaf!

I'm certainly down for that, maybe even a Gaf tourney?

I started the day 11th ranked in silver (down from 7th from players over night), went 0-4, then 6-0, then lost my final game. I always go random, got protoss 8 times, terran 3. Lost to a canon rush opening match, roach rush twice, a well done reaper harass that pulled my units away where i got tank/marauder dropped and roaches again that final loss. Was as low as 40, finished back at 11th.

Tough facing well micro'd roaches as terran with MMM's, is there another build that's a better counter? I tried tech'n to Banshees and/or Ravens for the burrow while pumping out two rax MM's but it just takes too long for the air units to come out.

I still need a lot of Neogaf Beta account names for those of you with keys.

Yep I'm up for some round robin play tonight. That was fun the last time we did it. I may need to obs more then play as I'm taking some work home with me ;)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
nilbog21 said:
at this point, most of the people crying have dehydrated and resorted to fetal rocking in the corner.

Milabrega

I'm on now going to do 1v1 ladder, add me at Milabrega.Mila and send me a message even if I'm in game if you wanna get the gaf lobby going. Aznpxdd doesn't wanna give away his platinum league secrets.

ACE 1991

One question: It appears that I'm getting terrible input lag when all settings are set to medium. Anyone know what a possible cause/setting could be? I've tried enabling "reduce input lag" which didn't help.

Top Bottom