• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
oh yeah, another thing i figured out in my game from before was how important a solid line of defence is on your ramp. i set the rally point of my gateways to the ramp and just let the zealots cluster there randomly so there were gaps to get up the ramp when the first wave of zerglings arrived. they were able to get a surround on my zealots and all my defence went down and the leftover 4 zerglings moved into my base. i was shitting myself and thought my economy was going to take a beating. it was just luck that i had zealots already producing in my gateways and quickly threw up a crono boost to pump them out quickly and finish off the remaining zerg.

so i just scraped through that encounter and learnt a valuable lesson.

before the next wave of zerglings arrived i setup a solid and impenetrable line of zealots on the ramp and told them to "hold". when the zerglings arrived, the difference between the first encounter and this one was like night and day. i think i only lost 1-2 zealots, rather than ALL of them like i had in the first encounter.

so don't leave gaps in your ramp defence to let zerglings slip through and get a surround. they will fuck you up.

Hazaro said:
Infestors fungal growth is fantastic for those MM clumps. It roots then AND does damage.
Hydras outrange marines by 1 with upgrade (right?) and the marines can't shoot your hydra line. Only mards left and hydra DPS >>>> Mards.

Add roaches and lings to soak damage.

You can play people as far down as 2 rankings above or below you. Did the pre-game say you were favored? You can also be placed in a placement match against David Kim on your first try so don't get too down. The fact he is plat will register in your placement consideration.

*Replay of you in that game would be nice too
I agree to fungal but Hazaro. You need to really play the game to see the imbal of stimmed marines and Maura with medivacs. Even hydras do Jack crap. You say Maura dps is lower but with those 3 they can sweep through your largest group of hydras. Fungal I need to incorporate more but usually they have a non Medivac rush at me before I can get there then when I do I am probably just getting my first few out.

Edit. Also telling people to make a mixture of limgs roaches hydras and infestors is easier said then done when they don't even have to micro and can hit stim and heal or just drop and harass as hydras don't have the same mobility as sc1

Mint: Vikings taking out medivac? Yea they can just stim up and bum rush your tanks if you only did tanks and flying Vikings. Vikings also die in .5secs to a group of stimmed marines.

zoukka

TurtleSnatcher said:
What baffles me is that it was Platinum so he must have been Platinum too.. :\

Nope. I've played against silver players and I'm gold. If you lose matches you then get to fight with lower rank players I think. Makes sense with your three lose streak?

And sorry if I don't remember the maps correct, but you "scouted early with an overlord" o_O?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Durante said:
So, have you played any RTS since Starcraft 1?
(Not that I disagree, but command queuing is not really a recent innovation ;))

Yeah, not many. I think Warcraft 3 was it. :lol

zoukka said:
Nope. I've played against silver players and I'm gold. If you lose matches you then get to fight with lower rank players I think. Makes sense with your three lose streak?

And sorry if I don't remember the maps correct, but you "scouted early with an overlord" o_O?

Yes to see if they are teching or not so I can change build on the fly.

Reposting my elite micro skills (not really)

:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcpbyPus1w - Pt 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwgBSTP9SQA - Pt 2

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
ZealousD said:
So shift-clicking is now my favorite thing in the world. Here's what you can do with it.

1.) Playing Terran? Tell your SCV to build a structure, then shift+right click on your minerals. After he's done, he'll go straight back to work. Also, if you find yourself with some excess minerals, using shift is a great way to build multiple supply depots in a row.
The second part of this statement I think is bad advice. The second you queue the command to make a second SD it consumes your resources while making you wait until the first building is complete to start working on the second. Better to just have another SCV build at the same time if it's needed immediately. It's a bad idea to just queue things up and forget about it.

DrCuddles

Neo Member
nilbog21 said:
people just now noticing they got in the beta. fml
Lot's of people didn't get emails, just got access via battle.net so they wouldn't have known until they checked their battle.net page.

DrCuddles said:
Lot's of people didn't get emails, just got access via battle.net so they wouldn't have known until they checked their battle.net page.
I checked my Battle.net account at the beginning of the third wave and got in, but didn't get the email until 2 days later.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
nilbog21 said:
people just now noticing they got in the beta. fml

Indeed. I've been religiously checking battle.net every like 6 hours or so to see if I've gotten in, no such luck.

I know Blizzard doesn't owe me shit, but come on now! I've been registered for the beta for over six months now. Let's get some lovin' here.

zoukka

TurtleSnatcher said:

Yeah I just wondered if overlords are a tad too slow for scouting, but I guess not if the map has you and your opponent close each other.

And as of today I'm really starting to cut back on my aggressive play. I tend to get Protos and Zergs harassed in the beginning, but it only gnaws at my macro and doesn't seem to work, not counting a few one-hit-ko wins. I just wouldn't want to end up using mass roaches in every game... people in Beta don't leave experiments much room.

Minsc

Gold Member
I wonder if people here plan on saving their favorite battles as replays, and put up for others... kinda like the above youtube, but it will be much cooler to just get the replay file which lets you ff/rw and zoom all over, and it's a ton less bandwidth too.

This whole replay sharing thing is pretty new for RTS games? I don't do a lot of multiplayer, but I can't recall how many other games have a replay mode like this (probably all of them, heh).

Maybe someone will even make a flash-based replay viewer that replaces the 3d models with simpler 2d representations so the client is a manageable size, while still remaining interactive with all the ff/rw and other features.

Dynoro

ahoyhoy said:
Indeed. I've been religiously checking battle.net every like 6 hours or so to see if I've gotten in, no such luck.

I know Blizzard doesn't owe me shit, but come on now! I've been registered for the beta for over six months now. Let's get some lovin' here.
I did similar and have wow/w3/tft/sc2/d2/d2lod all on my Blizz account and still no key (even did the TBC/WotLK betas too) guess you win some, you lose some

Trasher

Dynoro said:
I did similar and have wow/w3/tft/sc2/d2/d2lod all on my Blizz account and still no key (even did the TBC/WotLK betas too) guess you win some, you lose some
I have every game on my account too. I'm starting to wonder if it would have been a better idea to spread my games out into new accounts. :lol

zoukka

Heh scouting really matters. Played ranked with mirror zerg and saw him going to latepool. I harassed with lings (killed his queen) and had speedlings as soon as I could. Made a world of difference :eek:

Minsc

Gold Member
TurtleSnatcher said:
I took it all like a compliment till he said "Fuckin nerd." then I had to quip back with 'lolz lose more' :p

Watching the beginning of that match with you chasing around his whole line of resource gatherers with the zerglings was pretty awesome, as was the very end.

The nerd comment was pretty funny. Everyone in the beta is a "nerd," on that sole fact they're in a beta alone. He's just a sore loser nerd, which is worse than a good-micro one! :lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
TurtleSnatcher said:
heh, that's a really good example of what I was talking about earlier and blocking your ramp properly. sure he had his zealots there, but they weren't really blocking, they were standing in a blob too far back from the ramp and the zerglings could just run past them. sure the ramp was a little wide to block properly with limited zealots, but put a pylon and gateway there to narrow the gap.

he seemed pretty bad to me. what was with sending the one zealot to die by the spine crawlers for no reason? there were lots of other little mistakes as well.

deleted

Quick question:

Has every preorder from amazon.co.uk for this game been canceled? Just received a mail, that this item is no longer available. Looks to me like they wanna get rid of all the preorders to ramp up the price...

Interfectum

Minsc said:
Watching the beginning of that match with you chasing around his whole line of resource gatherers with the zerglings was pretty awesome, as was the very end.

Agreed... very slick moves there.

mint

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
You ditched me last night. On all night my ass.. we need to 2v2 to get to plat 2v2 jerk.
:( Sorry mate, I had to pick up my mom and then after that it just went downhill. She's having a hard time with cancer. I should've told you at least really sorry.

I think a nice match would be me and turtle vs aznpxdd and his partner :D

Can someone explain AI 6 or whatever? The only AI option I see is for very easy, so I'm guessing this new AI is something you have to download; is it legal?

Yaweee

PhoenixDark said:
Can someone explain AI 6 or whatever? The only AI option I see is for very easy, so I'm guessing this new AI is something you have to download; is it legal?

People are referring to an offline version of the beta (which is not sanctioned and people probably shouldn't talk about it in on GAF.)

mint

Banned
ok. my work schedule is tonight and tomorrow night..so we may not be able to play together till thurs night.

54-46!

Eh.. every player I've played so far has been turtleing, massed air units and then I lost :lol Not really good at SC at all.

Milabrega

Currently 6900~ people on beta in 880 games. Gaf's current 1v1 ladder of people from the list I am able to add looks like this, 2 Platinum, 1 Gold, 5 Silver, 6 Bronze and 4 copper. There are some people, (ChrisRemo, DemiMatt, Aznpxydd) that are only on the 2v2 ladders. Went 1-2 this afternoon in 1v1's, and 1-0 with mint in a 2v2.

I'm in the Silver league and all 3 of my opponents were Gold. All 3 were good games, one (on desert oasis my most hated map) went to a base race, unfortunately he was able to place pylons and gateways all around the map while using his remaining forces from letting me land and set up shop anywhere. He eventually got enough Sentrys and Stalkers out to take out my banshee's. I had cloak but he had observers. Still the highest ranked Random user in my division by 200 points so at least I have that.

I alphabetized the list by people with beta account names and those who haven't given it.

54-46! said:
Eh.. every player I've played so far has been turtleing, massed air units and then I lost :lol Not really good at SC at all.
Thats what happens to me against Toss, against Zerg they seem to favour Roaches.

Scrow said:
just a few small things i "figured out" while playing the new 6.1.1 AI just now.

station colossus on cliffs that create a choke point and don't have ramp access. tell them to "hold" and let them wreak havoc on anything that walks by. not only does it serve to scout the area, but they're safe from anything that can only melee attack as there is no way for them to get up there (without getting "dropped").

what you havent seen is how effective attacking mineral lines as colossi from an unreachable cliff is. Seen it more than a few times thats for sure.

Milabrega said:
Currently 6900~ people on beta in 880 games. Gaf's current 1v1 ladder of people from the list I am able to add looks like this, 2 Platinum, 1 Gold, 5 Silver, 6 Bronze and 4 copper. There are some people, (ChrisRemo, DemiMatt, Aznpxydd) that are only on the 2v2 ladders. Went 1-2 this afternoon in 1v1's, and 1-0 with mint in a 2v2.

I'm in the Silver league and all 3 of my opponents were Gold. All 3 were good games, one (on desert oasis my most hated map) went to a base race, unfortunately he was able to place pylons and gateways all around the map while using his remaining forces from letting me land and set up shop anywhere. He eventually got enough Sentrys and Stalkers out to take out my banshee's. I had cloak but he had observers. Still the highest ranked Random user in my division by 200 points so at least I have that.

I alphabetized the list by people with beta account names and those who haven't given it.

what about me? I'm only on the 2v2 ladders.... Now I feels left outz! :p

Milabrega said:

I'm in the Placement ladder!

radeonxt said:

lol I tried it on my OC'ed 1000he that had the atom clocked to 1.9ghz and a gma950 and got 20 fps average. Only real problem is that you certainly slow the game down for other people so it's bad manners I'd say to play multi on a netbook.

It'd be nice if at least singleplayer or skirmish they would have the classic 640x480 as an option when you have a crap computer that simply cant handle something like this at 1024x768.

I just have to mention yet again that insanely stupid hdstarcraft video. I dont care how good this guy is he just looks like an idiot altering his damned APM like he does there. Do all pros do this? It honestly scares me both how many insane amount of times he sits there making boxes and clicking 7 times when he wants his scv to go someehre.

Jesus. As if APM is a measure of skill aside from how you manage micro and macro at the same time.

Dreavus

Ice Monkey said:
I just have to mention yet again that insanely stupid hdstarcraft video. I dont care how good this guy is he just looks like an idiot altering his damned APM like he does there. Do all pros do this? It honestly scares me both how many insane amount of times he sits there making boxes and clicking 7 times when he wants his scv to go someehre.

Jesus. As if APM is a measure of skill aside from how you manage micro and macro at the same time.

Eh, I think it might be less about inflating APM and more about being bored waiting around for stuff in the early game. Even if he is doing it for the APM it probably wouldn't make a huge difference in the long run since it's only for the first few minutes.

APM is really just a broad indicator of how active you are as a player.

aznpxdd

Yeah, that's just retard. I never click randomly or more than necessary and I think my APM is averaging around 70. Not sure if that's high or not, I never really cared about that kinda stuff.

mint said:
:( Sorry mate, I had to pick up my mom and then after that it just went downhill. She's having a hard time with cancer. I should've told you at least really sorry.

I think a nice match would be me and turtle vs aznpxdd and his partner :D

I don't have a partner, that's why I'm in the 2v2 random ladder league.

And plus, didn't I kick both your asses already? :p

aznpxdd said:
Yeah, that's just retard. I never click randomly or more than necessary and I think my APM is averaging around 70. Not sure if that's high or not, I never really cared about that kinda stuff.

I don't have a partner, that's why I'm in the 2v2 random ladder league.

And plus, didn't I kick both your asses already? :p

Probably... dont you just MMM?

Cuz you know that requires skills :p

Milabrega said:

Wow can't believe I'm 1 of 2 from GAF in Platinum.

BTW - how can you pull up somones profile in ladder after you play them?

mint said:
Starcraft pros tend to do that to keep their momentum levels high from the very start of the game. And it increases your APM.

It would seem to me if they are just crazy clicking on their SCVs to bump their apm then they aren't pro whatsoever. They must be dying from how much less you need to click on SCVs in SC2 vs SC1, that's sad. I also don't see how this would keep up momentum, guess I'm not pro enough?

TurtleSnatcher said:
I agree to fungal but Hazaro. You need to really play the game to see the imbal of stimmed marines and Maura with medivacs. Even hydras do Jack crap. You say Maura dps is lower but with those 3 they can sweep through your largest group of hydras. Fungal I need to incorporate more but usually they have a non Medivac rush at me before I can get there then when I do I am probably just getting my first few out.

actually hydras are very good against MMM. Marauder's don't get their damage bonus etc. It makes even more sense if hydras have +1 range compared to marines. The problem as you might be alluding to is whether or not you realize they are going MMM and decide to really try hard to get hydras out. That makes the world of difference. If you let him build 4 or 5 RAX and you're still on 1 hatch + exp and queens, yeah you're gonna get rolled. So you build two extra hatches if minerals allow, and spend all your cash money on hydras and probably no roaches, only lings if you have extra minerals.

You haven't mentioned if you actually use an evo chamber at all, two armor upgrades will cut down marines 6 dmg per unit down by 2. Like I said, marauders dont get their dmg bonus and you shouldnt be retreating so their slow wont matter either. Plus there will be 3 marines per marauder so you barely have to worry about them anyway. hydras do 12 damage stock. I'm wondering if you might even be able to attack with hydras, let them use 4-5 seconds of their stim while you immediately burrow, then come up and have a huge advantage.

TurtleSnatcher said:

I imagine that what he meant was scouting with an overlord isn't early scouting. It takes a while to get across the map and by the time you see anything they can have two units or so that will easily destroy the OL. Can't tell you how many times I've been scouted by an overlord and was able to kill it, if the OL is far enough away that it cant be killed then it's not scouting anything! I personally scout with overlords because I'm still bad at scouting with drones and stuff, but suffice it to say, proper scouting is done with a drone.

oxrock said:
The second part of this statement I think is bad advice. The second you queue the command to make a second SD it consumes your resources while making you wait until the first building is complete to start working on the second. Better to just have another SCV build at the same time if it's needed immediately. It's a bad idea to just queue things up and forget about it.

That's true of the pros that using that 100 minerals is bad use of resources, but don't ignore the fact that for lower level players the amount of macro that is saved by queueing up really anything in this game is a life saver and actually IMPROVES your game considerably. It's only once you can handle having an imaginary timer in your head going off whenever something is finished and you call your hotkey and instantly produce a unit that the whole wasted resources tip has any use at all. If he tries to not queue things like depots so as not to waste resources then later is halted in all production because he forgot to continue building depots, then he's much worse off.

54-46! said:

The thing is, when you play people like that you need to both pick up on it at some point and do exactly what they do. If they're toss and you're not then you need to drop in units behind their turtle because if you allow them to mass carriers then you lose by default unless you have more than them. so mmm as terran asap because once you have enough m&m's they're never going to be able to counter if they are massing air units. nydus as zerg, and you can probably completely annihilate them as protoss if you just rush straight to a mothership, mass lots and stalks and go mass recall the crap out of them.

I oh so wish I played as many air unit massers as you do and additionally, that I would have picked up on it because usually the only reason i lose to them is because i dont know about it because I suck at scouting.

Top Bottom