• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

clav

Ice Monkey said:
anyone have any idea how mathematically good the point defense drones are? like how many separate attacks can be taken down per second with one drone.
SCV > drone/probe

CharlieDigital said:
Not in the beta...haven't played any console/PC games in a loooong time but looking forward to SC2. Brings back fond memories of my dorm days.

KHB (Z) vs TeamEG (T) on Steppes of War (Infestors + Broodlord)

Replay highlights what I guess would be a fairly non-standard Zerg army and tight unit control. Great battles.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6Ljkyd7io
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqh55Dwqo4Q
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SgsJr_J6q8

You can watch as many videos as you want, but you won't understand SC2 in its current state until you've played it.

From your point of view, you would definitely say zerg players use other strats because you've seen these pro-level videos.

From my view, on battle.net every zerg player uses that strategy I posted earlier.

claviertekky said:
You can watch as many videos as you want, but you won't understand SC2 until you've played it.

??? Never said I did. I don't get where you're going with that train of thought.

Want a cookie for being in the beta?

clav

CharlieDigital said:
??? Never said I did. I don't get where you're going with that train of thought.

Want a cookie for being in the beta?
I'm just saying zerg players on battle.net use roaches, which is why I said zerg should be renamed to roach.

Get it?

clav

Ice Monkey said:
lols clavier i meant the point defense drone dropped by ravens. seems insane.
Oh. I have no idea.

I suppose if you use those heat seeking missiles though. Damn.

Cru Jones said:
No they shouldn't.

Just saying as of right now how zerg players are playing. It's a mild pun. That's all.

claviertekky said:
Zerg might as well be called as "Roach race."

Here's a rundown how people play as zerg right now:

1. Build lots of roaches.
2. Is the game still going? Build hydras/mutas + roaches.

I haven't met a good player who does something different.

=======================

Thors are the most useless Terran unit ever. According to my friend who works at Blizzard, basically the Thor inclusion in SC2 went like this:

Someone in the art department decides to draw a giant robot.

Samwise Didier goes over to Chris Metzen and says, "Put this shit in the game. It's so giant and badass."

That's according to him, so take it as you will.

It's so slow and barely has the firing capability of what goliaths used to be. If you build thors, you are basically dead unless you're messing around. You might as well save that money and build battlecruisers instead.

=======================

I feel a lot of games on SC2 seem to stay at tier 1 hence why we see this marine marauder build + medivac or roach rush. This tier is so good enough to stay in that it doesn't really make people upgrade to a higher tier.

Perhaps blizzard needs to make these maps bigger?

In my defense, I used the words "good player."

I meant people on battle.net at least games I lost to.

As for 2v2s, it seems most games (aside from that shared base map) they end on tier 1.

claviertekky said:
SCV > drone/probe

You can watch as many videos as you want, but you won't understand SC2 in its current state until you've played it.

From your point of view, you would definitely say zerg players use other strats because you've seen these pro-level videos.

From my view, on battle.net every zerg player uses that strategy I posted earlier.

Eh.. I usually dont go mass roaches like you said.. or even Roach/Hydra often.

Sometimes I just go lings/banelings then to hydras agst Terran since most of them freaking MM early on.

Even agst Toss I go Zerlings and Roaches as opposed to Hydras. Zlings are great for runing past zealots and swarming those immortals then having the roaches come in and take out zealots. If they go air then I will go hydras.. but still have lings and roaches since they will probably still pump Zeals and Immortals the whole time.

clav

TurtleSnatcher said:
Eh.. I usually dont go mass roaches like you said.. or even Roach/Hydra often.

Sometimes I just go lings/banelings then to hydras agst Terran since most of them freaking MM early on.

Even agst Toss I go Zerlings and Roaches as opposed to Hydras. Zlings are great for runing past zealots and swarming those immortals then having the roaches come in and take out zealots.
Yeah I notice Zerglings + Roaches are a good combo, but everyone has to build roaches in their zerg play. It's the roaches that eventually overwhelm me.

There isn't really a good counter aside from teching to a better unit/tier that can block it off (as Protoss), but by the time you tech it's usually hard to block off an attack especially with the mix.

I just wonder how much of a difference would the game be if the roaches and hydralisks switched tiers.

Cru Jones

claviertekky said:
Oh. I have no idea.

I suppose if you use those heat seeking missiles though. Damn.

Just saying as of right now how zerg players are playing. It's a mild pun. That's all.

I guess, but it is a rather large generalization to make especially when the game has been out for 2 weeks in a beta. Like any highly competitive game, they are usually easy to learn and hard to master.

Easy to learn = Roaches
Hard to Master = Whatever strategies the pros comes up with in 6 months that eventually trickle down to the lower ranks.

Nobody knows all of the intricacies of the game yet so to make that generalization is a little ridiculous.

clav

Cru Jones said:
I guess, but it is a rather large generalization to make especially when the game has been out for 2 weeks in a beta. Like any highly competitive game, they are usually easy to learn and hard to master.

Easy to learn = Roaches
Hard to Master = Whatever strategies the pros comes up with in 6 months that eventually trickle down to the lower ranks.

Nobody knows all of the intricacies of the game yet so to make that generalization is a little ridiculous.
I wonder what David Kim has to say about this. There's already been 2-3 patches regarding balance changes.

Anyway, I just really hope something is done about balance for MMM and roaches.

Yaweee

Can those in the beta regularly post how many concurrent users are online? It would be nice to know whether to expect another invite wave or not, and of what size.

Yaweee said:
Can those in the beta regularly post how many concurrent users are online? It would be nice to know whether to expect another invite wave or not, and of what size.
Every time I go on it's usually just over 9000.

darkpaladinmfc said:
Every time I go on it's usually just over 9000.
38210_k3clh4chsr_l.jpg

claviertekky said:
Yeah I notice Zerglings + Roaches are a good combo, but everyone has to build roaches in their zerg play. It's the roaches that eventually overwhelm me.

There isn't really a good counter aside from teching to a better unit/tier that can block it off (as Protoss), but by the time you tech it's usually hard to block off an attack especially with the mix.

I just wonder how much of a difference would the game be if the roaches and hydralisks switched tiers.
Probably nothing that drastic..

Most peoploe start pumping them out when they get to lair for burrow and speed upgrade.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yaweee said:

Going by the quote from the last page, the beta invites are just about over. We'll be lucky if we even see another 1,000 for the rest of the beta.

Yaweee

Minsc said:
Going by the quote from the last page, the beta invites are just about over. We'll be lucky if we even see another 1,000 for the rest of the beta.

But you'd think concurrency levels as a % of total invites would go down with time as people become less interested or fervent, perhaps justifying more invites to sustain the 10k concurrency goal? I don't know, perhaps this is just wishful thinking.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The Lamonster said:
What do those rows of steam pipes do on some of the maps? Something to do with visability?

Yeah, both them and tall grass will block visability.

nilbog21

Banned
Yaweee said:
But you'd think concurrency levels as a % of total invites would go down with time as people become less interested or fervent, perhaps justifying more invites to sustain the 10k concurrency goal? I don't know, perhaps this is just wishful thinking.

Bro the people who are not using their betas are either 1) selling them (because they are worth a lot since blizzard is keeping this very limited) or 2) giving them to friends/sharing it with ppl that WILL play it. WE ARE FUCKED MY FRIEND

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
whats up guys? my cousin is in the beta and he's been letting me use his account recently. It's been a lot of fun. I've been getting my ass kicked but I'm finally starting get some wins as Terran.
Also for those who don't know about it, youtube.com/user/hdstarcraft has some great commentaries, that are in 1080p. definitely check em out

nilbog21 said:
Bro the people who are not using their betas are either 1) selling them (because they are worth a lot since blizzard is keeping this very limited) or 2) giving them to friends/sharing it with ppl that WILL play it. WE ARE FUCKED MY FRIEND

Fucked indeed.

At least we know that the game is coming out this year sometime - its just that around 10,000 people are gonna be way ahead of us in the competitive scene. :lol

ZealousD

So.... the Viking. I was experimenting with them a bit. Is it just me, or does it seem like they're much better suited for A->A? On the ground it seems like they're not much better than MM. I don't think they're great for harassment either, seems like the Reaper is better for that. Their G->G form just seems more like something you do in an emergency or just to offer some extra support.

Milabrega

That's exactly what Vikings are for ZealousD. Fantastic AA, emergency ground units.

Any ZvP videos on Lost Temple or Scrap heap? I keep losing to the protoss 2 gate/4canon-> Immortal openers. Since it effectively nullifies Roaches being able to get into the base before Immortals come out. I've gone ZBanes and Muta, and tried Infestor, but nothing has worked out well. I'd like to See infestors Fungal Growth Damage increased to 40 to make them better vs MMM, and slightly better against protoss ground units. Though I know their primary purpose is to take Colossi/Medivacs/Thors/Immortals out of the equation for a few seconds.

a176

Banned
Milabrega said:
That's exactly what Vikings are for ZealousD. Fantastic AA, emergency ground units.

Any ZvP videos on Lost Temple or Scrap heap? I keep losing to the protoss 2 gate/4canon-> Immortal openers. Since it effectively nullifies Roaches being able to get into the base before Immortals come out. I've gone ZBanes and Muta, and tried Infestor, but nothing has worked out well. I'd like to See infestors Fungal Growth Damage increased to 40 to make them better vs MMM, and slightly better against protoss ground units. Though I know their primary purpose is to take Colossi/Medivacs/Thors/Immortals out of the equation for a few seconds.

zergling baneline hydra, you need to outproduce toss and delay expansion as much as possible.

ZealousD

Milabrega said:

So it's basically an uncloakable wraith that has to jump through a hoop to attack ground targets. =/

Given that its transformation ability is it's trademark, you'd think it'd be useful rather than a nuisance.

ZealousD said:
Their G->G form just seems more like something you do in an emergency or just to offer some extra support.

Or to fly to an expansion and depopulate a mineral line in seconds with five or six of them, which is a common harass/raid tactic in TvT and to a lesser extent TvP (since you build vikings to deal with colossus).

It's not a unit that will be the staple of your army unless you are in an endgame TvT agianst Battlecruisers.

Milabrega said:

Both those maps should allow for a quick early fast expansion, due to long walk distances on Scrap Heap and the protected enclosed natural on Lost Temple. Couldn't you go fast lair->spire->mass mutalisk? And I mean mass, and fast, think a build sorta like a BW ZvT two hatch muta build, where you're only getting enough lings/spine crawlers to keep you from dying early on.

aznpxdd

ZealousD said:
So it's basically an uncloakable wraith that has to jump through a hoop to attack ground targets. =/

Given that its transformation ability is it's trademark, you'd think it'd be useful rather than a nuisance.

I tend to think of Vikings as a more mobile form of Goliath.

huh. I was in a 4 player FFA and just two of us were left and I was "dropped" and when i clicked "exit" starcraft 2 just crashed and dropped me to the desktop :(

sucks because I had a chance to win

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fragamemnon said:
I keep trying to think of them this way, but keep coming back to "a Goliath that is more mobile, but not 50 gas more mobile". :(
I even like the unit too. But it's just not as cool.
Maybe if they made the missile trails blue it would help.

fatty

darkpaladinmfc said:
Well it was originally 'about 9000', but I changed it for accuracy ;).

It's like you were lobbing up the alley-oop for the dunk for the next guy, and then exactly on cue...

Good job! :lol

mint

Banned
claviertekky said:

immortals.

kiryogi

Banned
Scrow said:
immortals are a good counter, but they're a tier up from the roach aren't they?
Yeah, it's advanced. If you really wanted to do that it'd be like a straight teching straight up.

Pylon -> Gateway -> Core -> Robotics

KHB did that in a match against david kim and ended up winning. It leaves you wide as hell open though. (I think it was KHB or was it HD. I forget.

you know if they're almost at 10k and don't plan to add more, it's beyond me how this beta could last even three months. We're 7 days from one full month, and they're going to have two more months of the same games over and over? I'm also surprised that if 10,000 was going to be their cap that they haven't unlocked 3v3 and 4v4 yet, and since they haven't yet I can't see them just randomly adding it in the future.

I hate to be so hopeful but I'm already thinking that this could be good news for ALL of us and that they'll just cut the beta even shorter and release the full game in a month or so. It actually seems possible given Browder's comments lately.

QUICK TERRANS! WIN MOAR GAMES SO THEY SAY IT'S BALANCED!

Top Bottom