• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
fk1ici.jpg

:'[

kiryogi

Banned
D: and here I just picked up a new copy of of SC to replace my missing key (And to reg a new battle.net account) D: Boo blizzard, you need more stress than 10k!

2Crisis

nilbog21 said:
"Dustin Browder: I think we want to maintain about 10,000. It’s sort of our goal, and we’ve just about hit that at this point. I can see we’re at 9,000-something right now, and 10,000 is the goal."

1zzjgk9.jpg

So you're saying there's a chance.

hold out hope fellow non key recievers!

clav

Zerg might as well be called as "Roach race."

Here's a rundown how people play as zerg right now:

1. Build lots of roaches.
2. Is the game still going? Build hydras/mutas + roaches.

I haven't met a good player who does something different.

=======================

Thors are the most useless Terran unit ever. According to my friend who works at Blizzard, basically the Thor inclusion in SC2 went like this:

Someone in the art department decides to draw a giant robot.

Samwise Didier goes over to Chris Metzen and says, "Put this shit in the game. It's so giant and badass."

That's according to him, so take it as you will.

It's so slow and barely has the firing capability of what goliaths used to be. If you build thors, you are basically dead unless you're messing around. You might as well save that money and build battlecruisers instead.

=======================

I feel a lot of games on SC2 seem to stay at tier 1 hence why we see this marine marauder build + medivac or roach rush. This tier is so good enough to stay in that it doesn't really make people upgrade to a higher tier.

Perhaps blizzard needs to make these maps bigger?

Paz

That article makes me fear for Starcraft 2 quite a lot, using broad results to implement game balance is never the answer for a tactical game like this and it's not something they have done much in the past.

Much better to balance the game around the top skilled players results and let the strategies and tactics trickle down to the masses, just look at Warcraft 3 where Night Elf dominated the low/mid tier players for the longest time until more inventive strategies for the other races started appearing - All without a significant balance patch.

nilbog21 said:
"Dustin Browder: I think we want to maintain about 10,000. It’s sort of our goal, and we’ve just about hit that at this point. I can see we’re at 9,000-something right now, and 10,000 is the goal."

b6akbp.jpg

pretty much...*sigh*

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Paz said:
just look at Warcraft 3 where Night Elf dominated the low/mid tier players for the longest time until more inventive strategies for the other races started appearing - All without a significant balance patch.

Warcraft 3 isn't exactly the kind game you want to take your balancing tips from.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I think the assumptions that everyone knows what there is available is silly right now.
Give things time and work on them until you learn how to beat them, scout them, and incoorperate them into your strategy and game plans.
If any of that is not possible (and is the concensus of many players losing or winning, or say PvZ is like a 7-3 win rate then drastic action can be called on.

At least from the interview it seemed like that was the case.
I mean the harshest buff we have seen was the 2 gate proxy nerf (for gateway build time) and mothership. Should they have extended the building time by that much? Is it a fault of the maps? The players?

If things continue and people get locked into builds
See: SC II Beta podcast http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=114862

Thors are great at killing interceptors, deal 45x2 damage to ground, can be mass repaired, and 3 can snipe and building in 5 seconds. Have 3 medivacs lying around? Why not drop 3 Thors at a Nexus and kill it in in 5 seconds then pull out?

In addition their skill stuns so you can make ultras or collosi (unless it does not work vs massive) irrelevant for 1 Thor.

Just some of my thoughts. Too late to be thinking about this kind of stuff.

Elixtar

claviertekky said:

Keep in mind the beta's only been out for 2 weeks. The meta game is already evolving. There is a trend now moving away from roaches toward zergling+baneling early game into hydra+banelings mid game into uldras+hydra end game.

Here's an absolutely fantastic four part ZvP released by SCLegacy yesterday:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

It's such an exciting game with so much carnage and back-and-forth between the hydra baneling army vs the zealot HT army in the mid game. And there's not a single roach to be seen.

nilbog21 said:

b6akbp.jpg
if they are going to add another 1,000 concurrent users, thats probably going to end up being 10,000 more users total.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
4jqof8.jpg

Lord Phol

Korea powers kicked in and I won my first two 1v1 PvT matches :D.
Then I met a zerg player and my dreams were crushed as I watched an army of roaches eat me alive :(. Any strategies against early zerg rushes? tried to zealot rush him first but his army was bigger.
After seeing that video further up I'm guessing Immortals?
Can you get them up fast enought to counter roaches?

Freki said:
simcity your ramp + sentries for splitting the army
Ah, gotta learn to locate my buildings better :x. Always seem to forget about sentries, they do cost quite alot of vespene gas though.

Freki

Lord Phol said:
Korea powers kicked in and I won my first two 1v1 PvT matches :D.
Then I met a zerg player and my dreams were crushed as I watched an army of roaches eat me alive :(. Any strategies against early zerg rushes? tried to zealot rush him first but his army was bigger.

simcity your ramp + sentries for splitting the army

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Elixtar said:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

It's such an exciting game with so much carnage and back-and-forth between the hydra baneling army vs the zealot HT army in the mid game. And there's not a single roach to be seen.
wow, epic game. ending was anti-climatic, but everything leading up to it was awesome.

Minsc

Gold Member
Scrow said:
wow, epic game. ending was anti-climatic, but everything leading up to it was awesome.

That psi storm just shreds those zerg groups in to pieces, very quick and powerful way to take down units. Is there FF with it?

aznpxdd

Elixtar said:
Keep in mind the beta's only been out for 2 weeks. The meta game is already evolving. There is a trend now moving away from roaches toward zergling+baneling early game into hydra+banelings mid game into uldras+hydra end game.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Yep...that's the HT I remember! People seriously need to use them more against MMM. It would rip them to shreds. Feedback would be strong as hell against medivacs too.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
aznpxdd said:
Yep...that's the HT I remember! People seriously need to use them more against MMM. It would rip them to shreds. Feedback would be strong as hell against medivacs too.
yeah, at 80 total damage one storm will kill marines outright. a second storm will kill the marauders.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
nilbog21 said:

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Gribbix said:
VG247 has an interesting interview with Dustin Browder regarding what kind of stats they're seeing with the beta right now.
Fantastic interview, thanks! Just the info I was hungry for.

You’ve got a release date in the first half of this year, right? So you’ve got quite a lot of leeway, I guess. You’ve got four months to actually ship. You’re completely confident on actually hitting that release date, right?

Dustin Browder: I don’t know [lots of laughing]. I’d really love to say yes, I got to tell you, brother. You never know what’s going to happen. You never know when something’s going to jump up and bite you that you didn’t expect. Yeah sure, today it’s looking great, but who knows tomorrow? Certainly I’d be super-excited for that to be the case. I can’t tell you how enthusiastic the team is at this point of getting this game out of the door, not only to get the game into the hands of our fans, but also so we can go home. But at this point we really want to get it out in the worst possible way, and any delays are going to meet with our righteous fury. But there’s no way to know for sure, dude, what’s going to happen at this point.

Apath

That ZvP match was the most epic one I've seen yet. That late game battle that went on for like 4 minutes was crazy. Pretty much sealed the game at that point as blue lost too many units to try and take out an expansion that didn't contribute to red's economy in any way.

KnightM7

Banned
So are there alot of people using ghosts online? the EMP ability with no research required and only 75 energy seems to be huge gain for terran. And if statistically terrans are losing more I think it might be players opting to go with brute force.. which doesnt work so much at least against protoss.

hobart

Crota is hard to listen to. I love watching quality games... especially shoutcasted ones... but sometimes Crota just drives me up a wall. Nothing against the guy... I'm sure he's a sweetheart... just can't take some of his terms and his tone and cadence.

2Crisis

KnightM7 said:
So are there alot of people using ghosts online? the EMP ability with no research required and only 75 energy seems to be huge gain for terran. And if statistically terrans are losing more I think it might be players opting to go with brute force.. which doesnt work so much at least against protoss.

I've seen some high level players using ghosts all the time vs protoss. CowGoMoo usually will include a handful of ghosts in any attacking force. Makes colossi pretty much a non-factor.

One thing about these high play replays that bothers me is that alot of the time, especially in this one, the zerg could have won if he had attacked and been more aggressive. Alot of the time the protoss player had very little units to work with and the zerg player still had his whole army intact after a large fight, just kind of sitting there and waiting for the protoss to come back. Almost every replay has one player at a huge advantage in the game, only to lose in the late game because he wasnt aggressive early on.

KnightM7 said:

I get a ghost out at about 25-28 food or so in every PvT. I use it to slaughter the Immortal push most Protoss players do and then expand+ get medivacs/vikings while they cower in their base.

If they don't kill anything and don't run away I just go ahead and bowl them right over, of course. EMP is basically to PvT in SC2 to what Psi Storm is to PvZ in BW: an ability you can't win the game without as Terran, and something that Protoss has be aware of and deal with.

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
Cant tonight - But are you up for some tomorrow possibly?

Ill make a mandate with you <3

Let's do it!!

I need to play with a partner that can take care of himself while I try out new strats. :D

Are you on West coast or East coast?

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
Elixtar said:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

The noble Crota! He's currently the best shoutcaster for StarCraft 2 hands down (Day 9 and HDStarCraft are excellent as well). He uploads like 5-6 games a day whereas most folks are doing 1-2.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlizShouter

Kinyou

nilbog21 said:
"Dustin Browder: I think we want to maintain about 10,000. It&#8217;s sort of our goal, and we&#8217;ve just about hit that at this point. I can see we&#8217;re at 9,000-something right now, and 10,000 is the goal."

2ryhugj.gif

claviertekky said:

Saw a very nice replay where the Zerg was bunker rushed early and the Terran player's second wave had 4-6 Thors. He owned the Terran with an army of Infestors and Broodlords...amazing replay.

TurtleSnatcher said:
But i live no where near the Mississippi

how close do you need to be to jokingly call it mississippi river coast? I live 4 hours from the beach but i still refer to myself as living on the east coast :p

Ice Monkey said:
how close do you need to be to jokingly call it mississippi river coast? I live 4 hours from the beach but i still refer to myself as living on the east coast :p
haha exactly. It was just a joke, good sir.

However, I live in St. Louis so I really could accurately say Mississippi River coast :lol

clav

Elixtar said:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

CharlieDigital said:
Saw a very nice replay where the Zerg was bunker rushed early and the Terran player's second wave had 4-6 Thors. He owned the Terran with an army of Infestors and Broodlords...amazing replay.

Although I see what you're saying, in practice, a lot of people on Battle.net still use roaches.

Are you even in the beta?

My friend and I echo the same sentiments about the roaching race.

54-46! said:
Every.. fucking.. time.. mass carriers! :lol what is the best anti air for terran?
Vikings and Thors.. Terran is a bit weak in that dept (Not as bad as toss though).. But you should also use a ghost and EMP that stuff and maybe ravens with seekers.

CharlieDigital said:

Care to share?

54-46! said:
Every.. fucking.. time.. mass carriers! :lol what is the best anti air for terran?

I've had success fighting off small carriers with viking spam, but in reality you really need to push the Protoss and kill some expansions to cut off his income once you comsat the fleet beacon and stargates.

edit: Thors are absolutely terrible for AA unless you are just trying to fend off one or two units. Vikings are your goliaths, build them or go with a big marine ball.

54-46! said:

as was kinda already said, once it gets to the point where you're fighting 150-200 food of carriers you'd better have that many food of vikings or battlecruisers or else you're toast. Again just to emphasize, your secret weapon at that point is emp in order to win that matchup.

really if you go the whole game not realizing till the end that he has been massing carriers then the guy pulled it off successfully, you could have done the same with battelcruisers if you'd have known.

gets me everytime too!

anyone have any idea how mathematically good the point defense drones are? like how many separate attacks can be taken down per second with one drone.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ice Monkey said:
anyone have any idea how mathematically good the point defense drones are? like how many separate attacks can be taken down per second with one drone.
Pretty sure as many shots as it has energy (20).

I've seen two fire off 40 times in maybe 1.5 seconds in the face of a stalker army.

Completely nullifies attacks, keep in mind it can also be used as a deterrent since it lasts so long (180 seconds). The range is rather large also (Maybe like 8 or 9?)

claviertekky said:
Although I see what you're saying, in practice, a lot of people on Battle.net still use roaches.

Are you even in the beta?

My friend and I echo the same sentiments about the roaching race.

Not in the beta...haven't played any console/PC games in a loooong time but looking forward to SC2. Brings back fond memories of my dorm days.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Care to share?

KHB (Z) vs TeamEG (T) on Steppes of War (Infestors + Broodlord)

Replay highlights what I guess would be a fairly non-standard Zerg army and tight unit control. Great battles.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6Ljkyd7io
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqh55Dwqo4Q
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SgsJr_J6q8

Top Bottom