• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Whatever happened between Tasteless and Huk was probably just a one off, and not really part of the greater discussion.

Players are frustrated with bad tournament organization that makes them wait around a lot when they would rather be playing, eating, or going to the washroom. They only really interact with casters so they vent their frustration by being rude to the casters. Casters don't have control over the situation either because they are told by production people to stand by, stall for time between games, then to play commercials. Casters don't feel it's fair that players vent on them for problems associated with tournament organization that they have no control over. Huk's bit about "sometimes we invite a caster into the game and they don't join" makes it sound like casters are purposely not starting games, when a little bit of thinking makes it obvious that's not the case. If the casters aren't joining a game, it's because production people told them not to start a game yet, not because they're trying to piss off players. Casters would rather start the game too, since stalling for time clearly makes them uncomfortable compared to casting a game.

Instead of making this out to be players vs casters, they are all missing the point and that is that it's tournament organization that is the problem. If tournaments smoothed out their schedules and stopped having people sit around waiting for unknown periods of time, everyone would be happier. For example, as Idra proposed, why don't they hand out those wireless buzzers to players and only buzz them when things are set up, commercials have been run, and production is ready for them to play? What about a 1 hour break in the middle of events for food and washroom breaks, for EVERYONE, and have the time filled with previously recorded video interviews?

Instead of players bitching out casters, they should be telling their managers to pressure the tournament organizers for change.

Pollux

So, I'm pretty damn terrible at this game (Got the game a week ago though and never played the first one). What's the best way to get better? is there any place that explains some basic strategies? or is the best option to just watch youtube videos?

(._.)

Banned
So was the drama between chris and nick big or just some small attitude between them? just hoping they don't hate each other now like grack/artosis ~.~

So, I'm pretty damn terrible at this game (Got the game a week ago though and never played the first one). What's the best way to get better? is there any place that explains some basic strategies? or is the best option to just watch youtube videos?
http://www.teamliquid.net/

go here. it is pretty much where everybody who plays SC regularly goes for news, strats, discussion, links, etc...

use this thread too for help. there are some decent players here who will help you.
also look up videos by Day9 and HD on youtube.

ultron87

What race are you trying to learn?

My standard all race advice is to start by playing some VS CPU games to get used to the basic mechanics and controls.

The "practice league" online matches are a waste of your time, because they are played at a different game speed and put rocks on ramps that change the timing of everything.

Be sure to build tons of workers. Queue stuff up as little as possible.

Pollux

So was the drama between chris and nick big or just some small attitude between them? just hoping they don't hate each other now like grack/artosis ~.~

http://www.teamliquid.net/

go here. it is pretty much where everybody who plays SC regularly goes for news, strats, discussion, links, etc...

use this thread too for help. there are some decent players here who will help you.
also look up videos by Day9 and HD on youtube.

Cool, will do. thanks.

What race are you trying to learn?

My standard all race advice is to start by playing some VS CPU games to get used to the basic mechanics and controls.

The "practice league" online matches are a waste of your time, because they are played at a different game speed and put rocks on ramps that change the timing of everything.

Be sure to build tons of workers. Queue stuff up as little as possible.

Yea I've just been playing the vs CPU a lot getting used to what units do what and what units are good against what etc. Haven't really picked a race yet, at the moment just cycling through all of them trying to figure out which one feels right. if that makes any sense.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm new to the game as well and these guys on GAF have helped me out big. Any time I have a question, I ask here and always get it answered. These guys have helped me in game as well. As far as resources outside of GAF, it's Day9. Has hundreds of videos, good speaker and entertainer. Great resource.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You need a practice partner that will show you the ropes and answer all your questions.
Once you get a general understanding of all the mechanics of the game you can learn unit counters, builds, general game plans, and timings.
Then you can work on your macro.
Then your micro when you have APM to spare or understand that using your 1 tech unit very well is more important at that time than the other aspects.

http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/Hot_Bid/CecilSunkure/How_To_Improve_Efficiently_a.pdf

tl;dr
Practice partner
1 build per matchup

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i'd say the first step to truly improvig would be deciding your race, so take your time and get a feel for the three now while it doesn't matter. the worst thing you want is to have to relearn the game because you think you picked the wrong race.

when you do decide:

picked terran:
talk to Devil, xenien, keikaku.
practice with keikaku

picked protoss:
talk to holden, striek, corran
practice with corran, pankaks

picked zerg:
talk to jason, fanboi, knives, me.
practice with jason, phoenixdark, ultrabum

Holden

I'm new to the game as well and these guys on GAF have helped me out big. Any time I have a question, I ask here and always get it answered. These guys have helped me in game as well. As far as resources outside of GAF, it's Day9. Has hundreds of videos, good speaker and entertainer. Great resource.

sc2gaf is the best gaf!

Btw, when is the next tournament? DAMMIT MISTER MR

Spl1nter

i'd say the first step to truly improvig would be deciding your race, so take your time and get a feel for the three now while it doesn't matter. the worst thing you want is to have to relearn the game because you think you picked the wrong race.

when you do decide:

picked terran:
practice with keikaku

picked protoss:
talk to holden, striek, corran
practice with corran, pankaks

picked zerg:
talk to jason, fanboi, knives, me.
practice with jason, phoenixdark, ultrabum

ouch that hurt. cant believe you didnt list me.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
sc2gaf is the best gaf!

Btw, when is the next tournament? DAMMIT MISTER MR
december was supposed to be the invitational based on the previous tourneys results, you wouldn't have qualified. :p

edit: the end of year invitational based on results would have been:
pandaman
moemoland
paz
slavik
chanstaa
jason
striek
wedge7

nilbog21

Banned

the best way to learn is not to copy shit you don't understand. just play a lot of games, and let your brain figure out how the game works

Pollux

the best way to learn is not to copy shit you don't understand. just play a lot of games, and let your brain figure out how the game works

Well the reason I was watching videos wasn't to really copy shit but to figure out how these people got so many damn resources so fast. I think I've figured that out now.

I know around 10 min. ago I said I hadn't really picked a race, but I'm really leaning towards Terran.

My main question is when first starting a match (and i'm just playing against the computer whose kicking my ass on medium) what should I build first?

So far I've been getting a ton of SVC units who mine the crap out of the minerals, then I build two bunkers (one with a tech thing for marauders and the other with a reactor to focus on churning out marines), then a factory with a reactor making hellions.

At that point I still haven't left the area where my base is and then the computer shows up with 5-6 marauders and kicks my ass. I fight him off and have to rebuild everything, and then he shows up again with more marauders and some other stuff and kicks my ass again.

My second question is, once I've built up some ground units should I then just send them out to find the enemy and harass him while I continue to build up the rest of my forces? (am I to assume that the first wave of marauders, marines, and a medic are expendable since they're around to just harass the enemy?

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense....

jasonng

... and ugly.

lOAXv.png

Gaf Night returns after a restful break from American/real Thanksgiving! Pretty curious if we have new players in the mix after the Black Friday sale. Regardless, let's just have fun and qq. You know, the usual. Anyone who's new and wants to join on the festivities, please download Mumble and join the NeoGaf server. Also come talk to us at the NeoGaf chat channel. I'm currently still on my windows side so my mic won't be working but I'm still ready to rub off the rustiness.

It's also important to note that the anniversary of Gaf Night is TWO WEEKS away. Not sure if we should plan anything special for the occasion, I'm just proud we've lasted this long.

And fuck Skyrim, seriously.
The Weekly NeoGAF Starcraft II Nights
-Wednesdays starting @ 6pm PDT (9pm EST)
-Game types:
<1v1>
<1v1 obs>
<1v1 coaching>
<2v2>
<3v3>
<4v4>
<FFA>
<Team Monobattles>
<Custom Maps>
<Nuclear Arcade>
<Phantom Mode>
<Marrow's Micro Tournament>

Streams
-Corran's Stream: http://www.justin.tv/corran666
-Hazard's Stream: http://www.justin.tv/vggaming
-Vaultrin's Stream: http://www.justin.tv/vaultrin21

Mumble Info Dump
Main server: IP = chi.eoreality.net and port = 64739
Backup server: IP = 67.23.187.114 and port = 20198
Download Here: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

december was supposed to be the invitational based on the previous tourneys results, you wouldn't have qualified. :p

edit: the end of year invitational based on results would have been:
pandaman
moemoland
paz
slavik
chanstaa
jason
striek
wedge7

Damn, well i might have to try and get another tournament going then. It's been quite a while since the last one and it's looking like it will be a while till the next one (for those who didn't qualify).

Pollux

So I finally figured out what the hell "macro" means. This is probably a really dumb question, and I'm playing on a Mac, but how do I hotkey things?

So I finally figured out what the hell "macro" means. This is probably a really dumb question, and I'm playing on a Mac, but how do I hotkey things?

Select the units/buildings you want to group and then press control plus the number you want to group them too. If you want to add units to the group select the group with the number then hold shift and grab the units you want to add and remake the group.

If you double click the groups number you will automatically be taken to where the group is standing (it's a quick way to keep tabs on your army).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Damn, well i might have to try and get another tournament going then. It's been quite a while since the last one and it's looking like it will be a while till the next one (for those who didn't qualify).

if it makes you feel better, the december one doesnt seem to be happening anyway.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Six pools and various zerg all-ins 5 games in a row, yep, time to stop laddering for today.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GAF NIGHT! YAYYYYYY!

Keikaku

when you do decide:

picked terran:
practice with keikaku

Thanks for the confidence. I do still practice with Terran but I'm actually laddering with Protoss right now. So I can help with Protoss a bit too :p

you're probably the only person who watched the last finals. xD
I watched the finals. I almost killed myself after the first match.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thanks for the confidence. I do still practice with Terran but I'm actually laddering with Protoss right now. So I can help with Protoss a bit too :p

I watched the finals. I almost killed myself after the first match.

Wow, betrayed by my own master. I'm so hurt. I guess I'm gonna have to train and beat you with my Terran against your Protoss.

:p

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I think the issue though for me is the early game and being able to pressure the zerg without losing my army. I have been trying some different things but a lot of the time i either miss control or don't do enough damage. A lot of the time when i harass well i let my macro slip and stockpile minerals early in the game.
you really need to start playing with her0 style warpgate zealot timings.

essentially, it goes like:

ffe+gate+2gas+cyber
first 100 gas on +1 weaps
chrono warpgates while dribbling out sentries, stick with 2 gas
3 more gates as soon as minerals become available - sneak a pylon near their 3rd.
throw up robo, grab gases.
warp in as many zeals as you can afford (6-8) as soon as warp finishes, rally to their third, aim for the hatch. use hold position once your zeals start wailing on it (a good zerg will attempt to bait them away with drones).
add tc+couple more gates.

from here on out, you're one step ahead. abuse it. if i didn't snipe the hatch i like going dts to finish the job, or pumping immos and setting myself up for a big immo/blink stalker/templar comp if they overmake roaches to counter my zealot pressure. even if they make some big 2 base play that lands before you warp in timing, with 4gates+robo you're more than capable of handling it. i've even seen hero skip the robo/tc/extra gates and just closing out the game with double stargate void.

executed correctly (attack the third around 8 blizzard minutes) it's an awkward as hell timing for zerg and derails what sometimes seems unstoppable without going all in.

you really need to start playing with her0 style warpgate zealot timings.

essentially, it goes like:

ffe+gate+2gas+cyber
first 100 gas on +1 weaps
chrono warpgates while dribbling out sentries, stick with 2 gas
3 more gates as soon as minerals become available - sneak a pylon near their 3rd.
throw up robo, grab gases.
warp in as many zeals as you can afford as soon as warp finished (6-8), rally to their third, aim for the hatch. use hold position once your zeals start wailing on it.
add tc+couple more gates.

from here on out, you're one step ahead. abuse it. if i didn't snipe the hatch i like going dts to finish the job, or pumping immos and setting myself up for a big immo/blink stalker/templar comp if they overmake roaches to counter my zealot pressure. even if they make some big 2 base play that lands before you warp in timing, with 4gates+robo you're more than capable of handling it. i've even seen hero skip the robo/tc/extra gates and just closing out the game with double stargate void.

executed correctly (attack around 8 minutes) it's an awkward as hell timing for zerg and derails what sometimes seems unstoppable without going all in.

I will definitely try this out, that sounds exactly like what i've been trying to do. Also it's good to see another protoss player around here.

Keikaku

Wow, betrayed by my own master. I'm so hurt. I guess I'm gonna have to train and beat you with my Terran against your Protoss.

:p
See Corran's gif for my reaction.

Yeah, I'm not that good with Protoss yet, but I know enough to teach a newbie :p Hey, I'm beating Platinum level players so I'm playing at least to the same level as I was with Terran. Still not as good as I was with Zerg, but that's easy mode.

trolololololololol

WedgeX

Banned
... and ugly.

lOAXv.png

Gaf Night returns after a restful break from American/real Thanksgiving! Pretty curious if we have new players in the mix after the Black Friday sale. Regardless, let's just have fun and qq. You know, the usual. Anyone who's new and wants to join on the festivities, please download Mumble and join the NeoGaf server. Also come talk to us at the NeoGaf chat channel. I'm currently still on my windows side so my mic won't be working but I'm still ready to rub off the rustiness.

It's also important to note that the anniversary of Gaf Night is TWO WEEKS away. Not sure if we should plan anything special for the occasion, I'm just proud we've lasted this long.

And fuck Skyrim, seriously.

<3

I'm sad I don't get to play on GAFnight :( I could really use the practice.

Why not?!

Pollux

So when I'm in the first 10-15 minutes of a match, as terran, do I want to build three barracks, one for double marine, and then two for marauders?

and is the basic premise build as much shit as possible and then every so often send a portion of your stuff to harass the crap out of the other guy?

jasonng

that was exactly what i was looking for. thanks a lot. trying it on the computer when I get to a good stopping point on my studying.
Keep in mind that the youtube video is pretty dated. The jist is pretty much the same but know that there are variations of the 3 rax build. For example, you don't have to immediately plant an addon to a rax as soon as the rax finish. In fact, I'm not a fan of it but to each his own. Definitely use this build order to help work out your mechanics. The practice you should be getting out of this is being able to constantly produce scvs and attack units without having to queue so many.

Just be aware that building addons means more time spent not making attack units. Play around with what feels comfortable to you. You can definitely surpass 50 supply at the 7 minute mark.

zlatko

Banned
zmoney you could also ask Tashi on here what he's been doing to learn the game. I believe he's still in Bronze.

There is a lot to learn, and I mean A LOT. There's enough here to cover several college courses worth of in depth studying lol. :p

Some things that got me to Gold league from Bronze when I was playing:

1) I switched to Grid layout for my keys. (This helped me play other races with ease and made it so I never had to look down at my keyboard or use my mouse to click what I wanted to build/create)

2) Do the tutorial, then try to complete the campaign on normal, and follow that up by getting a Gold rank or whatever on all of the trials in the game. Each trial covers various things throughout the game to get better at.

3) Start to play games against the A.I at various difficulties to see different things I can improve on. Am I getting supply blocked a lot? Am I always making workers? Am I scouting? What is my opponent trying to do? Don't be afraid to try out the other races. Terran may seem the easiest at first, but you'd be surprised how much simpler the macro portion could be for you as a Protoss or Zerg. Find one that fits your style. :)

4) Learn one general safe build for the race you play, that let's you expand and take bases.

5) Watch a LOT of online videos. Day9 dailies, replays of top level players, and youtube tutorials for builds.

6) Save replays, and share with GAF. Play with GAF. Always ask questions.

7) And maybe the most important---PLAY PLAY PLAY. You need to invest serious hours to start seeing improvement. If you get frustrated, take a break, come back to it. The game is a blast, and the best times with it are as you start seeing your improvements and are going up through the ladder. It's a long road, but it will be filled with a lot of fun when you see a game where you are on fire and everything you do is so good to stop your opponent.

No game is as rewarding as SC2's multiplayer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom