• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

is xsplit still free?

i suppose it is... Didn't they say like 2 years ago they wanted to charge like 40$ every year or something

Free until it comes out of beta. Right now they keep pushing people to buy a license, which is $40 for 2 years or something along those lines.

If you want to use the Game Source feature you need to pay.

So I just got this delivered from Team EG

P5vgIl.jpg

Pirabear

Banned
Kind of feel bad about barely touching this game even though I've had it since near-launch, but now I have the urge to play again. Any advice on how a newbie should start? I know there's Liquipedia and other sites that give good strategies, but reading pages regarding uinit placement and micro-ing is a lot to soak in. What should I read/do first before jumping into the more intermediate/advanced stuff?

jasonng

Kind of feel bad about barely touching this game even though I've had it since near-launch, but now I have the urge to play again. Any advice on how a newbie should start? I know there's Liquipedia and other sites that give good strategies, but reading pages regarding uinit placement and micro-ing is a lot to soak in. What should I read/do first before jumping into the more intermediate/advanced stuff?
Depends on how familiar you are with RTS. You can always jump in campaign for kicks but if you want to ladder then just hit find match. If you learned one or two builds on Team Liquid then use it until you perfect it. We'll be in the Neogaf Chat channel helping you with questions that arises.

FoxSpirit

Man, Stephano dismantled monchi. No luck for my local hero (Eizo Cup).
edit: And Monchi takes 3rd place against Nerchio after an epic misclick in game 1. You don't blink on top of banelings :p
Now, awesome final, Polt vs Stephano.
And Stephano takes it 3-2, with some really nice games
gg, good night :)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
What settings do you use? trying to find the optimal ones for streaming. I know it depends on connection, but nothing helps like a good starting point.

Ummm normally...
Default Preset
Quality 10
Max Bitrate 1200
Buffer 2000
I run it out as 960x600 resolution (16:10)

Lately I had to lower all those numbers as Uverse is horrible for me atm.

Striek

Hey guys, I was wondering what are some good resources to help improve your macro and multitasking?

Playing the game is the best resource and the only foolproof method, seriously. When I first started playing I couldn't macro off of one-base even when it was the only thing occupying my attention. Once you get the fundamentals of any situation down you start doing the things you already know faster and looking to do new things to fill the gap.

For instance, at first you might send out a scout and then go back to your base and barely pay attention to it. Eventually you get quick enough that you can rally it around your opponents base while you return to macro. Then you get fast enough to actively harass the opponent and have nearly 100% of your attention occupied on your scout and barely need to take any time to flick back to your base and build something or put your workers in gas.

Same as in battles, at first I would a-move my army and then go back to my base to macro and rarely even see the first part of the battle, much less attempt positioning or micro, then I would watch the battle without microing OR macroing. Then you get fast enough to macro during the battle (at first you might not even watch it), then you learn to micro after the battle starts and macro, then eventually you spend 95% of your time watching your army and actively microing because you can macro during the other 5%.

Its just a matter of reptition and pushing yourself. First work on getting the production facilities down, and when that becomes second nature figure out what you could be doing with the spare time. This game I will queue a ling to scout for pylons on my half of the map, or I will actively manevour my observer around the opponents base, or I will load two medivacs and send them to two different places AND remember to be paying attention when they get there. There are a shit ton of small tasks like this that all add up in the end. Its just practice.

I still feel like I am nowhere near my multitasking limit, and its still easy to get overwhelmed by an opponents harass and not remember to keep up my macro, but I can see the progress from point to point.

Top Bottom