• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Decided to start laddering. Played two games, both against Terran, won both. Kind of surprising since I haven't played tvt in forever and the % of terran players in plat/diamond. Second game the other Terran raged. Victory is so sweet.
What have you been doing build wise TvT?
You know how Zerg can only build either Drones or army units? Is that per Hatchery or does that apply across the board?

Like can a Zerg build Drones on one hatchery and Zerglings on another Hatchery at the same time?
Each larva can be made into whatever you want at any time. Not sure what you are thinking of.

Spl1nter

What have you been doing build wise TvT?

Making up builds. Both times was a reactor gas expand. I will probably end up doing something like that in the future as my standard tvt build. I think however I will delay starport based on scouting to get either more rax or faster ups or something. What made it even better was in the 2nd game when I said 'GL HF' he responded with 'oh i will have fun'. To bad I had to ruin that.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
What?

I'm pretty sure I was told it was one or the other.

Its a general rule. Zerg is usually making drones or army. But there are multiple larva on each hatchery and each larva can be made into something. So they could make 1 drone and 4 zerglings on one hatchery at once, but most people dont always do that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Its a general rule. Zerg is usually making drones or army. But there are multiple larva on each hatchery and each larva can be made into something. So they could make 1 drone and 4 zerglings on one hatchery at once, but most people dont always do that.
Ahh ok. Thanks bro

WedgeX

Banned
I am back past the point of not remembering what the crap to do against a given race.

Now its "^%()^*%)^*%)^*% I ought to have won that game."

Progress.

cdyhybrid

You know how Zerg can only build either Drones or army units? Is that per Hatchery or does that apply across the board?

Like can a Zerg build Drones on one hatchery and Zerglings on another Hatchery at the same time?

Yes. That saying is referring to the fact that all Zerg units spawn from larvae (which spawn from Hatcheries). So a single larva can turn into either a Drone or a unit. You can split your larvae between Drones and units, but I've never heard or seen anyone do that successfully for an extended period of time.

AmFreak

Ahh ok. Thanks bro

You should play a few games at least vs the comp with the other 2 races:

If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
If you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ahh ok. Thanks bro

Knowing the timings of your opponent's builds will help you a great deal as well.

Example: Against Zerg I usually expect mutas around the 9-10 minute mark and try to time my all-ins to hit right when the zerg player is saving up for a flock.

Jeff-DSA

Was checking the real-time analytics on my site and thought this was funny.

rpYtW.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Making up builds. Both times was a reactor gas expand. I will probably end up doing something like that in the future as my standard tvt build. I think however I will delay starport based on scouting to get either more rax or faster ups or something. What made it even better was in the 2nd game when I said 'GL HF' he responded with 'oh i will have fun'. To bad I had to ruin that.
I've been watching more BW and I want to mech TvP.

Vaporak

i've just completed the qualification matches and i'm now in the gold league (still donnow what the hell are those lol)

Looking for some friendly matches, i'm still in the phase trying to understand a lot of what happens on the field lol

Don't know if you know or not, but you should stop by the Neogaf SC2 chat channel to hangout and game. Probably not a good idea to put your email out there like that on the internet either.

Q8D3vil

I've been watching more BW and I want to mech TvP.
-tanks die easily to chargelots and blink stalkers.
-hellions are too weak.
-thors takes a long time to build.

the good thing is that blizzard will fix this in hots with battle hellions and the new thor replacement (which will have bonus damage against mechanical units ). so mech will be a really viable option in hots.

Q8D3vil

actually storms are really good against sieged tanks since they will take full damage.

you know that mech is shit against protoss when even goody start doing bio in tvp.

What can Warp Prisms do?
warpprism buff was actually the biggest counter to mech.
goody stopped using mech after the warp prism buff.

Tashi

It's the protoss transport unit. Carries 8 supply itself but can also provide power like a pylon when stationary. That means a protoss can warp in units as well as build buildings in the provided field.

So someone could fly a warp prism to the side of my base unannounced, make it stationary and then warp in units easily?

Not cool.

So someone could fly a warp prism to the side of my base unannounced, make it stationary and then warp in units easily?

Not cool.

I don't know that toss use prisms that often and if they do I find it's often not very effective.

Now if more toss start hot dropping colossi, you may seem some unhappy zerg/terran.

ultron87

Not cool.

Don't worry, they're just gateway units. They can't kill seventeen buildings per minute with their rapid fire building killing missiles while being healed by their transport.

Unless they're DTs. Muahahahaha.

Tashi

Ok.

Also, if I spot a Spire, what should be my first reaction? Considering it's like around 10 min and I'm on 2 base with an engineering bay or 2. Turrets? More marines? Thors?

jasonng

Ok.

Also, if I spot a Spire, what should be my first reaction? Considering it's like around 10 min and I'm on 2 base with an engineering bay or 2. Turrets? More marines? Thors?

Turrets near your mineral line and important buildings. If the Zerg is on two bases with mutas around the 10 minute mark, then most likely all he has are zerglings and spines defending his base. So yes, more marines as well. If you can take out his mutas you'll get ahead and you can expand freely.

Turrets near your mineral line and important buildings. If the Zerg is on two bases with mutas around the 10 minute mark, then most likely all he has are zerglings and spines defending his base. So yes, more marines as well. If you can take out his mutas you'll get ahead and you can expand freely.

I'd also suggest that if you catch the spire around ~9 minutes and you have the available army, drop on the zerg main. In most cases the zerg will assume you're going to drop all your effort into getting turrets/vikings/thors to counter, not be aggressive.

So during my free time I

-destroyed Splinter and brought shame to Canada
-got back into diamond league
-went on an epic losing spree immediately thereafter

Protoss. Yup, totally balanced race

Tashi

I'd also suggest that if you catch the spire around ~9 minutes and you have the available army, drop on the zerg main. In most cases the zerg will assume you're going to drop all your effort into getting turrets/vikings/thors to counter, not be aggressive.

Sounds good, thanks

V_Arnold

Also, Zerg need to optimally have to have at least 800+ gas when going for Spire. With that, he can open with a light number of 6 mutalisks ...which is nothing.

So if you want to stop a spire from happening, force him to use gas. Or stop him from getting 4 extractors or more.

Early pressure, upgraded bio attacks, forcing out banelings (and not dying to them) are all crucial. If you spot a started Lair, and went for tech, you can drop his main when he is halfway done with the Spire, for example.

-understand timings
-abuse them
- ?????
-win

Here are some timings:

-Evo chamber at 6m, two spore colonies up asap: counters DT rush and prepares for Stargate play

-A 6 gate generally finishes around 9m or so, meaning you can pretty much drone until 8:30m unless you scout or expect some funny business. Build some units or spines in preparation for an attack, but also scout again to determine whether an attack is imminent. If not, back to drones

-Colossus: Generally out around the 11m mark or so, but usually just one and without the range upgrade

A zerg can understand all of that shit and still lose to a FFA-into-two-base-attack. Want to be aggressive? Too bad, their entire base is walled off perfectly. Mutas? That just forces them to kill you faster, with four Colossus. Third base? 6 gate*

*well to be fair I have had success getting fast thirds against FFAs on maps like Meta, but that map is zerg friendly.

jasonng

I count the number of sentries the protoss he has if he is on two base. An unusual low amount means something's fishy. DT timings are EZ.

Boken

Banned
Panda isn't being very helpful.

Somebody tell me what's going on.

People dont build cloaked banshees anymore? why not?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
FFE into 7 gate is sooo good :D.

Panda isn't being very helpful.

Somebody tell me what's going on.

People dont build cloaked banshees anymore? why not?

He's just trolling PD.

Pancakes

Is cannon rushing popular in platinum and above? Every other protoss I play in Gold tries to cannon rush me.

I usually only do it against Zergs that go hatch first.

Top Bottom