• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Deadman

What in the world makes you say this? (Unless you mean that CoL's SC2 team is mediocre, which I agree with)

Yeah i meant the quality of their players and their vision (not sending anyone else to korea), not anything against them as an organisation.

Q8D3vil

despite col lack of good players they are one of the most professional team in sc2 beside liquid.

hopefully Quantic doesn't turn up like sixjax

Zzoram

Naniwa's statement was that he was lonely. In the col.MVP house nobody could speak English or Swedish with him.

SaSe on Quantic is a really good friend of his, and speaks both Swedish and English. Naniwa would still get to train with SaSe and in the StarTale house, since QxG parted ways with IM and are partnering with StarTale instead.

Deadly

SotG will have a new cast next year.
Naniwa's statement was that he was lonely. In the col.MVP house nobody could speak English or Swedish with him.

SaSe on Quantic is a really good friend of his, and speaks both Swedish and English. Naniwa would still get to train with SaSe and in the StarTale house, since QxG parted ways with IM and are partnering with StarTale instead.
Yeah honestly I think he was only with Complexity so he could have a salary and a place to stay.

Trickster

How exactly do protoss hold the 1/1/1? I just had a game where I knew from the moment i saw a bunker at his entrance that he was doing it ( seems to be a very popular thing to do when you 1/1/1 ). I get a robo and 6 fucking gates up, and the fucker is still able to break me while he expand, such bullshit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How exactly do protoss hold the 1/1/1? I just had a game where I knew from the moment i saw a bunker at his entrance that he was doing it ( seems to be a very popular thing to do when you 1/1/1 ). I get a robo and 6 fucking gates up, and the fucker is still able to break me while he expand, such bullshit.
Robo and 6 gates on one base?

Trickster

Robo and 6 gates on one base?

two base ofc

You have to 16nex or 1gate expo to beat 1/1/1. The expansion pays off before the 1/1/1 hits.

You do 1 gate, robo, 4 more gates.

What kind of unit composition/upgrades should i go for?

And how exactly can I know he's going to do a 1/1/1 build that early in the game? Or is it just required of the protoss player to do those very early expand in PvT?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I normally just straight out 1 gate expand in most pvts unless I see 2 rax.

I see some players go stargate and use the phoenixes to delay the army and snipe banshees but I never had tried it.

Zzoram

two base ofc

What kind of unit composition/upgrades should i go for?

And how exactly can I know he's going to do a 1/1/1 build that early in the game? Or is it just required of the protoss player to do those very early expand in PvT?

Well, since you do 1 gate robo, get an observer out ASAP and scout the Terran. If you see a Starport with a Tech Lab, it's going to be 1/1/1 99% of the time. If the Tech Lab is researching cloak, get a second observer since the one you sent to scout might not make it back in time to stop the harass.

You need maybe 3 immortals, maybe 2+ sentries, one for guardian shield and the rest to FF behind the marines. Focus fire the tanks with the immortals. Use your stalkers to focus the banshee. Make sure your observer doesn't fly over his marines, because if he has cloak he will try to snipe your obs.

When he first attacks, be patient. Pull back behind the natural Nexus and keep making units. Wait until the Nexus is in the Red HP before attacking. The longer you stall, the more units you can make. His reinforcements have to walk further so time gives you an advantage.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
As a new member to the SC2 community, I love Day9. Guy is hilarious. His brother is too. They should just commentate together.

Pollux

Oh my goals are higher than that but right now, just baby steps

<3

You'll get there, I was in the same boat. I was ranked like 99 in my division. Hadn't won a game for weeks.

Does it just get to a point where something clicks and you just "get it"?

Zzoram

I like the current cast. Day9 always leaves early so I don't mind if he becomes just a recurring guest.

They REALLY need a Terran player in the group.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think you get it but the execution fails. You forget to get SCVs, and get supply blocked and that just fucks you up later. With more practice, you build a routine of shit you need to do, it gets tighter and then you notice 7-10 minutes in, you're in good shape.

Don't be in a hurry, the game is insanely complex and you got to take the time to learn. In my case, what made me "click" is when I realized that I was stubborn and I was not listening to what better players were saying.

This post in particular changed the way that I played and got me out of bronze league :)

perryfarrell said:
What is more, this aspect of game play is very easy to fix: just play the very easy AI and try to get to 200/200 as fast as possible, while keeping money as low as possible.

Just as an exercise, re-conceptualize the game and its goals: your opponent and his attacks are just an obstacle in the way of YOU getting to 200/200. (Of course, this is not the real goal of the game, but it can help in emphasizing macro.)

I never said it, but thank you. Those were wise words.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
there are gaffers in diamond who still dont "get it" but have leveled out of sheer speed and fundamentals, so yes the game can suddenly click for you but dont think you're just spinning your tires until that happens.

Don't be in a hurry, the game is insanely complex and you got to take the time to learn. In my case, what made me "click" is when I realized that I was stubborn and I was not listening to what better players were saying.

This post in particular changed the way that I played and got me out of bronze league :)

And now Dizzy spends his time playing LoL :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
so i found the most visited tab in chrome.
kLcP2.jpg
needs more starcraft.

Corran said:
Please Don't ask me something like that, im not throwing people under a bus for you. :p

Artosis is probably leaving SOTG considering he lost his passion

but on a serious note I wouldn't be surprised, as he has a kid on the way

(._.)

Banned
could a skilled protoss look at this replay and tell me what I should work on to improve my play?

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replay-videos/16059

I had bad mechanics during this game but I was trying to follow this build.

when trying to improve macro in gold should I just not bother moving out with my army and applying pressure? cause I really bank a ton of minerals when I do. should I just instead try to get an observer out asp and focus scouting instead of attacking?

jasonng

Taking that break from 1v1 was such a bad idea. Lost to a terran who massed Thor/Banshee. What a wreck to my confidence.

Striek

could a skilled protoss look at this replay and tell me what I should work on to improve my play?

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replay-videos/16059

I had bad mechanics during this game but I was trying to follow this build.

when trying to improve macro in gold should I just not bother moving out with my army and applying pressure? cause I really bank a ton of minerals when I do. should I just instead try to get an observer out asp and focus scouting instead of attacking?

You cut a lot of probes for no noticeable reason early on. You aren't sentry expanding because you didn't produce sentries early. You need to keep using your gateways until warpgate is done too. Your third gateway was late. Once warpgate is done you should warp in the nexus and a pylon on the low ground much earlier than you did. Your warpgates are on cooldown for quite a time whilst your money is stockpiling, so you need to get on top of that. Also probe production is very sketchy again.

Your first push out is OKish, can be dangerous but if you nail the FFs you'll be fine. But your army/composition is not designed to actually engage and only to scare the zerg. You needed to pull back and defend. As soon as a zerg sees you move out they'll build units, and sometimes you'll meet a zerg who was already gearing to attack like you did. You saw a ton of roaches and 2 spine crawlers, that should've been enough 'damage' inflicted.

You need to start teching or add additional gates right after expanding, because your 3 gates are not enough to support your income (particularly when your building probes constantly). Hallucination is coming as soon as warpgate finishes with the sentry expand because you'll have a lot of energy. Then you can decide what to do more effectively.

The 3-gate expand is kinda outdated because its not particularly great economically or defensively, but with it its common to get a forge on the lowground as your pylon finishes and get 1-2 cannons in case zergs try some economic roach timings, and this will allow you to start getting upgrades.

So in summary:

Build probes constantly, don't cut any.
Use your gateways constantly before and after warpgate, and get sentries earlier.
If you pressure pull back before you lose everything. Don't commit. Consider a cannon or two.
Start adding more production/tech as soon as you expand.
Build probes constantly (restated for emphasis).

Sidenote: I like occasionally doing gateway/pylon next to Nexus against zerg because its strong against 6/7pools, but against a decent zerg once you know they aren't rushing your second pylon and second/third gateway need to be used to create a wall. If you get rushed you die the way you did it

Pollux

I think you get it but the execution fails. You forget to get SCVs, and get supply blocked and that just fucks you up later. With more practice, you build a routine of shit you need to do, it gets tighter and then you notice 7-10 minutes in, you're in good shape.

there are gaffers in diamond who still dont "get it" but have leveled out of sheer speed and fundamentals, so yes the game can suddenly click for you but dont think you're just spinning your tires until that happens.

Sounds good, thanks y'all.

(._.)

Banned
Taking that break from 1v1 was such a bad idea. Lost to a terran who massed Thor/Banshee. What a wreck to my confidence.

I know how you fell breh

I JUST LOST THE DUMBEST FUCKING MATCH EVER AND I FEEL LIKE PUNCHING SOMEBODY ATM

this has happened to me one other time where I pretty much owned them the first half and figured they were gonna GG any sec so I stopped trying...

essentially I think he was gonna make a ton of queens then nydus in. I made 3 gates and expanded. I didn't pressure and I had an observer out to see when he would move out. so essentially I was focusing mostly on macro and I felt like I was doing OK considering this is my first time laddering in months. I lost like an idiot. I stopped trying when I thought I had a very large lead. I destroyed a lot of his shit and when I was just messing around on the map with my huge army the rest of his little army slowly destroyed my home base. there is absolutely no reason I should have lost that but yea w/e. he kept making lots of buildings across the map cause he had a ton of creep (queen strategy).

I guess I should just stay in long games from now on that I know I should have realistically lost just to piss people off....

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replay-videos/16062

replay above if you want to see what an idiot I was

I feel better after ranting but I guess embarrassing loses will make you learn something too.

You cut a lot of probes for no noticeable reason early on. You aren't sentry expanding because you didn't produce sentries early. You need to keep using your gateways until warpgate is done too. Your third gateway was late. Once warpgate is done you should warp in the nexus and a pylon on the low ground much earlier than you did. Your warpgates are on cooldown for quite a time whilst your money is stockpiling, so you need to get on top of that. Also probe production is very sketchy again.

Your first push out is OKish, can be dangerous but if you nail the FFs you'll be fine. But your army/composition is not designed to actually engage and only to scare the zerg. You needed to pull back and defend. As soon as a zerg sees you move out they'll build units, and sometimes you'll meet a zerg who was already gearing to attack like you did. You saw a ton of roaches and 2 spine crawlers, that should've been enough 'damage' inflicted.

You need to start teching or add additional gates right after expanding, because your 3 gates are not enough to support your income (particularly when your building probes constantly). Hallucination is coming as soon as warpgate finishes with the sentry expand because you'll have a lot of energy. Then you can decide what to do more effectively.

The 3-gate expand is kinda outdated because its not particularly great economically or defensively, but with it its common to get a forge on the lowground as your pylon finishes and get 1-2 cannons in case zergs try some economic roach timings, and this will allow you to start getting upgrades.

So in summary:

Build probes constantly, don't cut any.
Use your gateways constantly before and after warpgate, and get sentries earlier.
If you pressure pull back before you lose everything. Don't commit. Consider a cannon or two.
Start adding more production/tech as soon as you expand.
Build probes constantly (restated for emphasis).

Sidenote: I like occasionally doing gateway/pylon next to Nexus against zerg because its strong against 6/7pools, but against a decent zerg once you know they aren't rushing your second pylon and second/third gateway need to be used to create a wall. If you get rushed you die the way you did it
Thanks for the feedback. gonna bookmark this post.

I just noticed now I only make around 2-3 units then my gateways go unused for the rest of warp gate research.

also I will try to wall next game. I usually do for every zerg but forgot that one :S

thanks

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
gaf, when I installed win 7 why did I not install the 64 bit version :/

I need to get a SSD but Im scared of the prices.

Top Bottom