• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

BigAT

So I pop on SC2 this morning for the first time in quite a while because I want to just knock out my placement match for the new season before it expires. I somehow manage to win my game (my last 1v1 ladder game was over 10 weeks ago) because I guess ZvP is still free wins and then this happens:

ZkcXk.jpg

Stunned.

Q8D3vil

So I pop on SC2 this morning for the first time in quite a while because I want to just knock out my placement match for the new season before it expires. I somehow manage to win my game (my last 1v1 ladder game was over 10 weeks ago) because I guess ZvP is still free wins and then this happens:

ZkcXk.jpg

Stunned.

Congratulation :D

jasonng

http://i.imgur.com/ZkcXk.jpg[IMG]

Stunned.[/QUOTE]

Complete bullshit. Please set yourself on fire.

cdyhybrid

Damnit! TL mousepad goes on sale a day after I buy one off Amazon.

And Blizzard making an announcement tomorrow... HotS delayed til next year?!

Holden

Damnit! TL mousepad goes on sale a day after I buy one off Amazon.

And Blizzard making an announcement tomorrow... HotS delayed til next year?!

i would say its diablo 3 related for the release date on 17th april ( i don't think its official?)

unless they said its sc2 related

That's you. Many people do, so it's better to not use the words, especially since there are alternatives.

For SC2 to grow to Broodwar levels of long term sustainability and mass appeal, it has to be able to attract a wider audience and lose the man-baby stigma. That won't happen if people are raging over losing and saying offensive words on stream for thousands of people to hear. People want to be able to watch this with their families, kids, girlfriends, etc. and that's not really possible if you've got people talking like Destiny.

Broodwar's audience was ~50% female because they managed to keep it professional and carefully manage it's image and market it's players. Being able to get both males and females means more advertising dollars, which means sustainability. The current SC2 scene is losing too much money to last much longer. Investors are only backing these tournaments because of the hope of it growing enough to become self sustaining and even one day profitable, but that can't happen if the audience is limited because of childish and easily corrected things like offensive words being said in public turning off viewers and advertisers. If HotS is out this Fall and by the end of the year professional SC2 isn't any closer to sustainability, I expect 2013 will suffer cut backs in prize pools and possibly salaries.

I would rather professional SC2 succeed than have it fail because Destiny and those like him want to be able to say this on tournament streams.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcQedw7R1zk

I'm not sure professionalism is what's holding the game's success back. It's a mixture of things, from poor Blizzard support to the fact that RTS still isn't a mainstream genre for most people. Right now the esports infrastructure is too big to justify costs, and I do agree things will scale back next year. Remember, many of the female fans in Korea were more fans of certain players and the drama, not so much the actual game. I don't see that playing out in the US or anywhere else.

SC2 isn't as big or marketable as DOTA stuff right now, I don't see that changing, especially as Koreans continue to dominate the scene. As it gets harder to win, I do expect many guys like Destiny to move on to easier games.

Deadman

Hopefully their announcement is that the shredder has been removed and the swarmhost is instead going to be the lurker

Edit:

http://pro.majorleaguegaming.com/competitions/30#event_85_competition-format

MLG has posted their rules for columbus.

The main change is the change to extended series. Now if two players meet in the final having already played then the final will now be a best of 9 extended series instead of bo7.

If the players in the finals have not met then it will now be a bo5. If winner bracket player wins its over, if lower bracket player wins its now bo9 extended series.

Everything else still bo3 and bo7 extended series.

Zzoram

Hopefully their announcement is that the shredder has been removed and the swarmhost is instead going to be the lurker

And that they'll scrap the new protoss fat phoenix and instead keep the Carrier but give Interceptors regenerating health and make their build time faster.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Regards to orb and his colorful chat in game
hey, everyone. alex (ceo of evil geniuses) here.
i'll be making a formal statement about this situation later today. i just wanted to assure everyone that we're aware of these allegations, and that we're taking them very, very seriously.
there will be ramifications here. their severity is something we're still determining, but there's no doubt that the situation requires action on our part.
please try to be patient as we discuss the matter internally.

If EG didnt know this shit before hand, what are the doing to research people prior to hiring? lol

Zzoram

Orb won't be missed. There are dozens of amateur casters jumping with glee over the openings Orb's departure might give them.

Paches

Idra should quit playing and do analytical commentating. I enjoyed his breakdown of the game last night when he did Zenio/Supernova with Apollo.

cdyhybrid

TL never ceases to amaze me. A lot of people posting seem to have no problem with orb dropping n-bombs all over the place because people on ladder do it all the time. Sorry, being on a pro-team means you have standards to meet, unlike the dregs of the SC2 community.

I'm tempted to give Stephano 's ZvP style a try, but I've done pretty well with the mass Muta style so far.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TL never ceases to amaze me. A lot of people posting seem to have no problem with orb dropping n-bombs all over the place because people on ladder do it all the time. Sorry, being on a pro-team means you have standards to meet, unlike the dregs of the SC2 community.
TL was ruined when they got so many people in from SC II.

They are trying to damn hard to mod, but it's a losing battle.

Dropping n-bombs is fine, criticizing Dragon for stream cheating is wrong and unacceptable. lol

hoverX

The rampant racism in sc2 is starting to bother me. I just joined a clan and it's full of 20 year olds who act like this and think there is nothing wrong with it...

I should start playing with gaf instead.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
The rampant racism in sc2 is starting to bother me. I just joined a clan and it's full of 20 year olds who act like this and think there is nothing wrong with it...

I should start playing with gaf instead.

We dont allow saint fans in this club. You might put a bounty on my head!

Fuchsdh

I used to think the SC2 community was by a fluke a better one than the stereotypical worst potentials out there--CoD and to a lesser degree Halo. I no longer think that.

The only reason SC2 is not as bad as CoD is the RTS genre (and PC gaming in general) being more niche, and the lack of pervasive voice chat. Luckily those barriers are unlikely to go away, but we've still got to live with the cretins in our midst.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I used to think the SC2 community was by a fluke a better one than the stereotypical worst potentials out there--CoD and to a lesser degree Halo. I no longer think that.

The only reason SC2 is not as bad as CoD is the RTS genre (and PC gaming in general) being more niche, and the lack of pervasive voice chat. Luckily those barriers are unlikely to go away, but we've still got to live with the cretins in our midst.

My plan is to bring shit talking to SC2. I've got a reputation to uphold.

hamchan

The only reason SC2 appears better than other gaming communities is because of good guys like Day[9] and Tastosis actually making it to the top. Really, the common players are no better than other communities, with a large number of them being unsociable assholes.

Zzoram

The only reason SC2 appears better than other gaming communities is because of good guys like Day[9] and Tastosis actually making it to the top. Really, the common players are no better than other communities, with a large number of them being unsociable assholes.

Thank goodness for people with some self control becoming the faces of SC2.

All it takes is 1 news story by CNN about how SC2 culture is seeped with racist language and sentiment and the entire scene will die overnight as sponsors abandon it.

Nice. I've been really trying to get early 3 hatch builds to work in ZvP (against FFA). Initially I'd put down my third shortly after my natural expansion finished, but that was a bad idea: I noticed warpgate would be almost finished by the time my third was up, and protoss would just punish the shit out of me. Seeing Stephano and other zergs timings, I put it down earlier now.

For instance, a game I played on Meta:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3zbmiebrl0fpxgv
(Pandaaaaa watch plz)

Top Bottom