• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Diamond league confuses the fuck out of me at times. Sometimes its a good player...then after I fight another Diamond who literally just
2rax marauder, into 2 more rax, then factory, and 2 engineer bays all on one base before attacking while building starport around 10min mark. Then Expands to natural at 15minute mark.

Throughout the game I was like...he has to have a hidden base...nope.

fanboi

Banned
Diamond league confuses the fuck out of me at times. Sometimes its a good player...then after I fight another Diamond who literally just
2rax marauder, into 2 more rax, then factory, and 2 engineer bays all on one base before attacking while building starport around 10min mark. Then Expands to natural at 15minute mark.

I hear ya.

Same with unit controll to...

Zzoram

Some people get high on the ladder with just 1 all-in build per match up that they've fine tuned. Eventually they get high enough where it's not enough to keep advancing, but they can still get pretty far with it.

I think one guy 6-pooled every game and got to low Masters with it just because he got to practice his execution so much and most people aren't used to fending off 6-pools.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Where was this announced?

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=320041
od0xX.png

Zzoram

That's actually fair. Polt is a GSL champion and a total boss who is looking stronger than ever so he deserves to be back in GSL.

Stephano didn't want Code S since he'd have to miss many easy money small EU tournaments.

Violet is the only other possible choice based on merit, and Naniwa is likely better than him plus Naniwa is a foreigner.

Huk got an Up/Down seed because even though he placed higher than Naniwa at MLG Winter Arena, his opponents were easier than the ones Naniwa beat.

Considering that Naniwa's GSL kryptonite was Zerg, and that he's practiced it so much lately that he can only be stopped by DRG now, and the low number of Zergs in Code S, I think Naniwa has a really good chance of making it past the first round unless he ends up in DRG's group.

When is gom gonna stop this shitty seeding system. I want to watch the best 32 player in the world play not the best 30 then a couple of foreigners who have big stream viewers go 0-2 and waste everyone's time.

Huk has every right to be mad, both him and Puma deserve that seed over naniwa.

Striek

Don't know if it was posted, but the qualifiers for code A next season went:

Terran: 7
Protoss: 7
Zerg: 7

....balance! Finally.

Fuchsdh

Some people get high on the ladder with just 1 all-in build per match up that they've fine tuned. Eventually they get high enough where it's not enough to keep advancing, but they can still get pretty far with it.

I think one guy 6-pooled every game and got to low Masters with it just because he got to practice his execution so much and most people aren't used to fending off 6-pools.

This. It seems like there's a two-peak curve for cheesing. New players get wrecked, but most Silver/Gold players get adept at defending most cheeses if they're good. By the top levels, however, it seems like no one actually expects that stuff anymore, and they're more vulnerable because they aren't likely facing cheesing opponents every other game :)

ksan

This. It seems like there's a two-peak curve for cheesing. New players get wrecked, but most Silver/Gold players get adept at defending most cheeses if they're good. By the top levels, however, it seems like no one actually expects that stuff anymore, and they're more vulnerable because they aren't likely facing cheesing opponents every other game :)

The problem with higher leagues is that you will lose against standard builds if you specifically prepare for cheese, it's not that people aren't expecting cheese in the top levels (and there's a large difference between the execution of cheese in the lower leagues and the higher ones)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I have a feeling that when I get to the higher levels, people are going to cheese me and I'm just gonna rage so hard lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I have a feeling that when I get to the higher levels, people are going to cheese me and I'm just gonna rage so hard lol

i guess it depends on what you mean by higher levels. there certainly are some dumb niggling builds that are greedy enough to get under your skin but the classic cheeses are all but gone.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Feel like shit today... gonna wrap myself in clothes, drink orange juice and watch Game of Thrones on Blu-ray...
Thats what your mom said last night.
Damn!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When you gonna buy SFxT so I can body you fraaaay?
Like I said a long time ago, I stopped buying fighting games after MvC3. I only play them when I go to my community (Shoryuken Örebro) like once a week. That way I get to play them 1. for free 2. when all my fighting buddies are there :p

zlatko

Banned
Like I said a long time ago, I stopped buying fighting games after MvC3. I only play them when I go to my community (Shoryuken Örebro) like once a week. That way I get to play them 1. for free 2. when all my fighting buddies are there :p

chickencluck.gif

You are afraid of my prowess!

:( That's too bad though. It's not like we can play SC2 together, so I figured we could have some fun on SFxT. ; ;

Zzoram

When is gom gonna stop this shitty seeding system. I want to watch the best 32 player in the world play not the best 30 then a couple of foreigners who have big stream viewers go 0-2 and waste everyone's time.

Huk has every right to be mad, both him and Puma deserve that seed over naniwa.

Puma does, but they want to keep foreigners involved in GSL. Without a seeding system, the best foreigners would never even try to play GSL since the qualifiers are so hard and people won't travel to Korea just to play the qualifiers. Naniwa's play looked better than Huk's at MLG WA, plus Naniwa technically earned his GSL seed last year and it was merely withheld as punishment for his very public temper tantrum.

Seeding isn't inherently bad as long as they pick people who actually look good in recent times. Picking Idra was obviously stupid, but Naniwa looks to be in far better condition than Idra and Naniwa has beaten tons of top Koreans in recent times. MMA and DRG are GSL champions who only got to play Code S because of seeding from foreign events. Also, MC got seeded back into Code S and made it to the Ro8.

Huk got an Up/Down seed with one of the easier groups, so if he really is still Code S material he should make it back in on his own.

Can you give me a link please? Internet drama is always entertaining.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=320041

Yoshichan

:( That's too bad though. It's not like we can play SC2 together, so I figured we could have some fun on SFxT. ; ;
:( My friend, someday we'll find ourselves next to each other and we'll play all the competitive games in existence. ALL OF THEM.

Paches

Wow apparently Taeja is leaving Slayers for a foreign team.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=320075

I guess Slayers could spare themselves some Terran players so it doesn't matter that much but I think he was still pretty good? Ganzi level?

As this begins to happen more, the "foreign" teams will all be made up of Koreans, with only a few actual foreigners.

All the bad cheeses are gone, but now you have to deal with strong 1 and 2 base all-in timings which are much worse.

One thing I have found that helps a lot with my play is focusing one one build against each race to choose and not spread yourself out too thin. Of course, reacting to what the opponent is doing is a must, but going in with the same general game plan (provided it works for the map etc) gets you a lot of good practice with that build and then you can branch out. At least, that has worked for me.

I was watching some Bomber earlier and I think next I am going to try his build that start with a quick couple hellions to box the Zerg in (on Antiga), tech lab on rax and factory after 3-4 hellions, and then triple orbital and bunker down on that lower part between your 2nd and 3rd.

Huk hasnt done anything lately. Puma was more worthy

Honestly I'd prefer a small mini tournament to decide who gets the seed. Maybe 8 players, top two get code s. Polt, Naniwa, Huk, Nerchio, Violet, etc

zargle

Huk hasnt done anything lately. Puma was more worthy

Honestly I'd prefer a small mini tournament to decide who gets the seed. Maybe 8 players, top two get code s. Polt, Naniwa, Huk, Nerchio, Violet, etc

The only problem I have with giving a seed to Puma is that he has never qualified for Code A and for some reason that makes me disinclined to promote him straight in. I guess I would be okay with him getting seeded into the up and downs, especially since there was an open slot or two, but not into Code S right away, for instance putting him into S instead of Naniwa.

Deadly

Yep, he's going to earn him as much as he can then using his earnings to fund for his school. Brilliant if you ask me.
He probably has more than enough now if he plans on studying in France. French university tuition fees are quite inexpensive IIRC.

Deadman

Yeah it was a 1 year break for starcraft, though he has said recently hes considering staying longer because of all the fans he has. Plus he keeps winning lots of money.

Stephano is making the right decision obviously, although as a fan I'll miss watching him play. He may be getting out right in time though, as I don't expect organizations to continuously pony up huge prize pools for something that doesn't come close to breaking even. So if Stephano gets out right before the bubble bursts, good for him.

If foreigners were smart they'd be trying their hardest to reach his level, or Naniwa's, or Huk's. But no one wants to practice and live the game apparently. Well good luck winning anything when sponsors disappear and Koreans start flooding the market even more.

New patch coming... "soon"

We’re also working on a feature that will help players connect with other players and games that are near their location (connecting through the same IP). We believe this will primarily be used by people in internet gaming rooms, offices, dorm rooms, and local tournaments where you just want to find the guy sitting in the desk next to you. Although this may not be ready in time for the release of patch 1.5, we do intend to have this available by the time Heart of the Swarm ships.

gee, if only there existed a technology that can connect 2 machines to each other without going through underground pipes half way across the country and back again, someday we will have that luxury, someday... maybe...

Top Bottom