• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

I'm not sure Blizzard can fix their Korean problems unless they fix the overall problems that vex SC2 in general. Namely poor Blizzard support and Bnet 2. Riot and Valve are winning hearts and minds with impressive game support for their titles. Constant updates, customization, etc. It's time Blizzard scrapped the blueprint that says letting mistakes or limitations fester for months is fine, as long as they're addressed by some late patch or new expansion. I realize they can't create new maps every day, or patch changes every week, but it's high time they nipped things in the bud faster.

Blizzard lost a lot of money due to BW, we all get that. But that doesn't justify their focus on squeezing all freedom out of SC2. Eventually we're going to get to a point where tournaments can't justify paying Blizzard large fees just for the opportunity to lose money with an expensive tournament. It's high time Blizz decided to actually foster community, not rely on TL or others to do so.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I agree that SC2 needs more casual modes. I really do think that Blizzard will give us more with the release of HotS. They're already improving Bnet so.....

I'm saying Blizzard lost money due to piracy and esports licensing, not that the game wasn't profitable. SC2 was created to avoid that problem, and I feel Blizzard has gone too far.

AmFreak

Blizzard also needs to fix 2v2 and 3v3 by putting in some non-shit maps. Those are the most popular modes because people like playing with friends, so ignoring those map pools is a damn foolish thing to do. SC2 needs those casual modes to maintain player interest to increase potential viewership.

And the problem is you can only play their shitty maps cause of the fucked up custom game system. There were huge numbers of people playing BGH, FME and Hunters on Bw. There is nothing of this sort in SC2 cause if you would open such a game you would die before getting enough players to start the game.

didn't it sell a million copys in the first week/month (?). Which was a fuck ton for 1998

Last number i heard somewhere was close to 10 million.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
And the problem is you can only play their shitty maps cause of the fucked up custom game system. There were huge numbers of people playing BGH, FME and Hunters on Bw. There is nothing of this sort in SC2 cause if you would open such a game you would die before getting enough players to start the game.

Last number i heard somewhere was close to 10 million.
Monobattles future.

Zzoram

I'm saying Blizzard lost money due to piracy and esports licensing, not that the game wasn't profitable. SC2 was created to avoid that problem, and I feel Blizzard has gone too far.

I actually think they didn't lose that much money due to piracy and no esports license fees.

Esports is not a profitable business. It's a break-even marketing platform. Trying to squeeze it for money when it is still either a money losing or break-even business was incredibly short sighted. All they did was harm the free marketing that esports gave their game.

As for money lost to piracy, I think sales gained because of Broodwar being a legendary esport more than offsets piracy. Also, most of the people who pirated the game would've never bought it anyways.

Zzoram

Teamliquid Page

MLG Winter Championship in Columbus - Final Day

Mississauga, TheNix's via Go Bus, 2pm-10:30pm, March 25th, HOUSECRAFT:

Going:
TheNiX
Picon_small.png

Zzoram
Picon_small.png

Pandaman
Zicon_small.png

Maybe:
scogoth
Picon_small.png

Not Going:
Spl1nter
Ticon_small.png

mcrae
Zicon_small.png

hoverX
Picon_small.png

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I bet alot of pirated copies were people who bought the game and lost the disc lol.

Esports wouldn't had made blizzard any more significant money.

Holden

I bet alot of pirated copies were people who bought the game and lost the disc lol.

Esports wouldn't had made blizzard any more significant money.

aka me, i still got the box ( with the cd-key) had to pirate it until i could put it on battle.net so i can "officialy" download it.

And i remember that my broodwar CD didn't require a cd-key lol;

Edit : And the number was on the back of the box, so you could just wright the number down at the store or w.e and then just pirate it. lol;

Deadly

From a consumer POV, I dont feel like it.

From a business POV, hell no.
Even from a business POV they've gone a bit too far. Trying to squeeze out the maximum revenue from esports with Kespa has soured their relationship so far. I'm sure had they not made too many demands we'd already have a SC2 Proleague.

fanboi

Banned
Even from a business POV they've gone a bit too far. Trying to squeeze out the maximum revenue from esports with Kespa has soured their relationship so far. I'm sure had they not made too many demands we'd already have a SC2 Proleague.

More and more business are make that extra % profit from selling services. Its happening within every industry from mass produce steel to gaming.

Of course we could always say that services are "services" which may or may not be included in the original product.

Deadly

More and more business are make that extra % profit from selling services. Its happening within every industry from mass produce steel to gaming.

Of course we could always say that services are "services" which may or may not be included in the original product.
Of course I'm not disagreeing with that at all but had they just taken a lighter approach it might've gone better

Keikaku

You guys watch the RedBull LAN? How was it?
I enjoyed it.

The really great thing about it was that it was very clearly for training purposes so one player would play the same build or a set of builds with the same objective and then the other player would respond in different ways, trying to see how to play against it. I found it very interesting.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Zealots stuck in minerals while immortals are firing at each other with zero micro.

Fun fun fun.

I'm very curious to see how Idra does when he's fully back in the US/EU tournament circuit I haven't see too much ZvT from him (he did pretty good against MVP in GSL), but his ZvP has been atrocious. ZvZ is still his strong suit, but I doubt he could compete with Stephano or even Nerchio.

I had hoped the Korean trip would refine many areas of his game but it seems like he has just gotten slower, more bitter, and fallen behind the ZvP metagame

Deadman

What the.. I don't even...

Where do you find these stats? My friend keeps insisting Idra is good, so I must share these stats with him.

http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/tlpd_select.php

Korean ones covers all games in korea, international all games outside. Players can appear in both lists but only games played in the relevant region will show up on that list.

The ones i posted were international. Idra is 1-10 (9.09%) in korea in 2012. Incontrol hasnt played any.

AmFreak

http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/tlpd_select.php

Korean ones covers all games in korea, international all games outside. Players can appear in both lists but only games played in the relevant region will show up on that list.

The ones i posted were international. Idra is 1-10 (9.09%) in korea in 2012. Incontrol hasnt played any.

But to be fair Idra's opponents have a much higher average skill, so it's not really suprising he lost more than InControl.

Top Bottom