• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How much has SC2 sold?

VASPER

Banned
That's really good though, isn't it?

Yes, for a PC only RTS that was relevant 10 years ago i would say so. Now I'm not trolling saying it's not relevant through all this time, but in my experience i didn't even think SC2 was going to happen so this to me is selling well.

Man, mid game DTs can really catch you off guard. I always have spores up in case of a quick DTs or air, but once the game becomes a standard ZvP it's easy to lose track and be surprised by 4-5 DTs out of nowhere.

Lost my lair to that nonsense on Tal Darim Altar, after I thought I had won the game with a roach ling attack. I was able to double expand afterward and get way ahead, but I think a better Protoss definitely could have really hurt me with that shit.

Sometimes you forget that if you're super ahead of Protoss, they almost always go DT or some other nonsense. Gotta be prepared, my zerg brothers

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
rz8wW.jpg
u s a u s a

*Dont tell farnham*

That's really good though, isn't it?

Yes and No. The problem is given the success of SC1/BW, analysts went ahead and assumed SC2 would pull a large portion of those overall numbers at launch. So, it was deemed as having done ok, but not great. In the end though, yes, that's really good. Especially considering it sold something like 1.5 million in 48 hours.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yes and No. The problem is given the success of SC1/BW, analysts went ahead and assumed SC2 would pull a large portion of those overall numbers at launch. So, it was deemed as having done ok, but not great. In the end though, yes, that's really good. Especially considering it sold something like 1.5 million in 48 hours.
All right fair enough. Will the release of the expansion-packs increase the sales a lot?

Deadly

All right fair enough. Will the release of the expansion-packs increase the sales a lot?
I'd say they'll increase by the same amount SC2 sold or less. Most people already know what Starcraft is and what they're in for so those who enjoyed it will keep on buying but those who didn't really enjoy and bought due to the hype will probably forget about it.

Fuchsdh

I'd say they'll increase by the same amount SC2 sold or less. Most people already know what Starcraft is and what they're in for so those who enjoyed it will keep on buying but those who didn't really enjoy and bought due to the hype will probably forget about it.

It's also worth noting that the biggest PC games of all time--StarCraft, the Sims, Myst, etc.--have all had much much longer lifetimes than consoles, which might sell more but trail off fairly quickly after launch. SC2 has a lot of life left in it, especially as long as it remains a viable tournament game.

(._.)

Banned
incontrol just made an ass out of himself again talking down on quake with a pretentious attitude.

EDIT: incontrol is such a tool. hes pretty much the celebrity fuel behind reddit users who think starcraft is the only game that can actually be played competitively.

Yoshichan

It's all an act, like everything else from EG.

Zzoram

He's honestly not wrong. SC2 is by far a better spectator experience than any shooter could ever be.

Supposedly DOTA2 has an AI director for the viewer camera that is way better than human observers and that makes DOTA2 the best MOBA to watch. It's also a much cleaner visual style, LoL is an ugly mess and you can't tell what's going on once people spam spells near each other.

I think the future of esports will be DOTA2 and SC2 if watchability is the most important factor for success.

(._.)

Banned
He's honestly not wrong. SC2 is by far a better spectator experience than any shooter could ever be.

Supposedly DOTA2 has an AI director for the viewer camera that is way better than human observers and that makes DOTA2 the best MOBA to watch. It's also a much cleaner visual style, LoL is an ugly mess and you can't tell what's going on once people spam spells near each other.

I think the future of esports will be DOTA2 and SC2 if watchability is the most important factor for success.

you need to watch more comp Quake then. Not true one bit. It is very fast paced and arguably easier to understand what is even going on from a spectator's perspective. You could say you prefer to spec SC because it is your game. you have a TL avatar so I'm more inclined to figure your opinion on competitive FPS is gonna be more skewed than somebody w/o one ;p

Yoshichan

You just gotta learn to ignore half of Zzoram's posts, dude seems like the typical TL poster who doesn't know anything besides starcraft and pretends it's the only legitimate competitive game out there(see Milkis).

Sliver

Apparently there was a "scandal" when some nudes of Seltzer were released? Never heard of this but very intrigued.

Edit: Was totally gonna post that video, too. That youtube channel is golden.

Deadly

Apparently there was a "scandal" when some nudes of Seltzer were released? Never heard of this but very intrigued.

Edit: Was totally gonna post that video, too. That youtube channel is golden.
I remember seeing this on reddit. Apparently they were fake.

twofold

you need to watch more comp Quake then. Not true one bit. It is very fast paced and arguably easier to understand what is even going on from a spectator's perspective. You could say you prefer to spec SC because it is your game. you have a TL avatar so I'm more inclined to figure your opinion on competitive FPS is gonna be more skewed than somebody w/o one ;p

Indeed.

Quake is probably the second most complex game ever made behind Brood War. The players are so ridiculously skilled. It's a shame that the game has started to go by the wayside. It's a travesty that Halo is being played competitively but QL isn't.

I find it interesting how popular 1.6 is still. The IEM finals pulled in over 70,000 viewers - that's pretty incredible for such an old game.

(._.)

Banned
I think 1.6 also had I believe anywhere from 10-20k people watching during ESEA season 11 finals a couple weeks back. They got several million unique views that weekend. ESEA is really small also. sadly it's the biggest NA league that promotes FPS games besides Halo/CoD.

I'm pretty positive that in the next year or so competitive FPS games will start garnering the same world wide attention LoL and SC2 have been receiving lately. The new tribes is forming a comp scene. I heard many high level quake players have been setting up scrims with each other.

There is also Firefall which I believe is being designed with comp play in mind. CS:GO is also dropping soon and could really take off if people come to a common gfround and embrace it. I think robin from Valve also said he'd be interested in dropping a pro-mod for TF2 to make the comp play in it more relevant and accessible to newbies.

competitive FPS isn't dead. it just doesn't have the same "celebrity" statues SC2 does.

It would be totally sick if a new revamped quake was made with a ladder/league like SC2/LoL for duels and TDM.

I could never get into Quake or the similar games. I was more of a Wolfenstein ET guy. Which you'd think would mean I'd be a huge TF2 fan, but that game never really dominated my time. I put a decent amount of hours into it but eh, the medic class is the only thing I liked. All the other classes have annoying weapons. Give me an old fashioned Thompson, dammit

Zzoram

I don't like watching FPS the way they're currently done, but if anyone is going to be able to pull off a better viewing experience, it's going to be Valve with CS:GO. Their DOTA2 AI observer makes it a way better viewing experience than LoL.

Perhaps I was wrong to write off viewing competitive FPS before seeing what Valve has cooking.

Deadly

I don't like watching FPS the way they're currently done, but if anyone is going to be able to pull off a better viewing experience, it's going to be Valve with CS:GO. Their DOTA2 AI observer makes it a way better viewing experience than LoL.

Perhaps I was wrong to write off viewing competitive FPS before seeing what Valve has cooking.
The AI observer isn't that great... I'd much rather have someone doing the observing

Zzoram

So some guy 8pools me, and after 30 mins of back and forth I beat him, and he says he's going to report me

does that have any negative effects?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
as far as watchabiity goes quake is the best fps esport, but that doesnt mean it holds a candle to sc2 in ease of access and understanding.

So some guy 8pools me, and after 30 mins of back and forth I beat him, and he says he's going to report me

you are already dead.

you can ladder on my account until you can afford a new copy of the game.

When he said he was going to report you, did he use proper spelling or capital letters? If not, it's likely going to do nothing.

Paches

That was me, and I already filed the report to Blizzard Corporate Headquarters.

Select taken out by some random university student. Utterly dismantled.

Top Bottom