• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Zzoram

Blizzard's map maker's ego is ridiculous.

So they adopted some good GSL maps like Daybreak for the ladder. However, they had to remove the creep tumors blocking the island bases and put their stupid rocks there instead, despite the creep looking more interesting and requiring detection to clear to make it more difficult to take these bases. They just love their stupid rocks. Also, the middle bases that had 6 minerals and 1 gas got changed to the Blizzard standard 8 minerals and 2 gas, making them dramatically more valuable. They seem unwilling to break with the conventions they set for maps during the alpha testing phase.

Sliver

Eh, I think the creep favored Zerg and maybe even Terran, as a Zerg could plant the hatch after they kill the tumor, and an orbital can just float over it and plant whenever it went away. Protoss, however, had to wait until the creep completely subsided until they could even start building their Nexus.

That said, fuck rocks.

Zzoram

Eh, I think the creep favored Zerg and maybe even Terran, as a Zerg could plant the hatch after they kill the tumor, and an orbital can just float over it and plant whenever it went away. Protoss, however, had to wait until the creep completely subsided until they could even start building their Nexus.

That said, fuck rocks.

Hmm actually good points.

I just liked that it was a way to block expansions that wasn't those stupid rocks. I also don't like how Blizzard refuses to allow 6m1g bases and requires all ladder map bases to have 8m2g.

zargle

That said, fuck rocks.

Wouldn't Zerg have been able to plant the hatch immediately after with either rocks or tumor? Also wouldn't the creep subside at the same time for both Protoss and Terran? The fact that terran can float a base over there before hand has little bearing, since they can do this no matter what is there.

I guess Im saying I thought the creep was a more interesting way to block it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Wouldn't Zerg have been able to plant the hatch immediately after with either rocks or tumor? Also wouldn't the creep subside at the same time for both Protoss and Terran? The fact that terran can float a base over there before hand has little bearing, since they can do this no matter what is there.

CC is already built

Nexus needs to build

:p

but your point is true.. now that i re read is so ignore me! im off to buy a laptop

Sliver

What. The creep tumor takes like a second to kill, and the Zerg doesn't have to wait for the creep to go back at all, as it can plant on the creep. Compared to however long it takes to kill the rock, which is fair for all races, except Terran with Orbitals I guess.

zargle

What. The creep tumor takes like a second to kill, and the Zerg doesn't have to wait for the creep to go back at all, as it can plant on the creep. Compared to however long it takes to kill the rock, which is fair for all races, except Terran with Orbitals I guess.

I understand that, so on the face of it, it is tilted in zerg favor. But its also easier for the other two races to get the kind of drop tech needed for this isnt it? I'm not sure when overlord drops or nydus are available, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like it takes longer to get that tech and that would balance it out, since the other two can rush to those islands faster, so the zerg can build a little easier. If Im wrong about the tech time, then ignore me and you are right.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I played an AI match as Terran (since I have no race choice as I'm still playing the Starter Edition. I'm not 100% sure yet if I'm going to buy). The AI wasn't the problem, but holy hell...There was SO much to do. I mean, ugh.

I was trying to stay on top of everything and build upgrades, keep unit production up, TRYING to expand, and scout...And when I realized I was focusing too much on the marines I had wandering the map, I hot-keyed back to my base and realized I had 2 SCV's sitting on their ass, a pile of marines standing there, and nothing in production.

I imagine getting "good" at management takes time here, but I felt slightly overwhelmed.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Starcraft 2 NeoGAF Night - 3-28-12 VOD
http://www.twitch.tv/corran666/b/313179332

aPBWI.png

Soccer game was fun

cdyhybrid

I played an AI match as Terran (since I have no race choice as I'm still playing the Starter Edition. I'm not 100% sure yet if I'm going to buy). The AI wasn't the problem, but holy hell...There was SO much to do. I mean, ugh.

I was trying to stay on top of everything and build upgrades, keep unit production up, TRYING to expand, and scout...And when I realized I was focusing too much on the marines I had wandering the map, I hot-keyed back to my base and realized I had 2 SCV's sitting on their ass, a pile of marines standing there, and nothing in production.

I imagine getting "good" at management takes time here, but I felt slightly overwhelmed.

That's normal. You get better at it the more you practice.

Keikaku

Keikaku's Silver League Story Time

Played and won couple of games today, TvP in both instances. The second game was nothing great but the first was special in the way that only Silver League can be.

The Protoss does a 3 Gate Robo attack right into the teeth of my natural on Metalopolis. I had done a 1 Rax Maradaur, followed up by 2 more Rax and a Starport. He kills every SCV from my natural and all of my units except 2 Medivacs at the cost of every unit he has except 1 Immortal and 2 Stalkers. He then preemptively ggs me.

Some of you guys often say that I'm pretty manner and I definitely try to be; I almost always say 'gl hf' and I 'gg' gracefully. However, I fucking hate preemptive ggs. I decide that, fuck this guy, I'm hanging in this thing as long as possible. Thankfully, I'm playing in Silver League so this is a valid thought process.

I see my repaired Command Center, recent survivor of the slaughter below my ramp.
I see that I have the tower and he has no interest in taking it.
I move my spare CC over to the gold.
Minutes later, every MULE I can spare is mining the hell out of those sweet, sweet Gold minerals.

As this is happening, he attacks again, ggs me again and I repel losing some more SCVs. Newly flush with cash, I build 2 extra Barracks. A small poke down the ramp nets me a group of his units and reveals that he's built a manner Nexus and is mining from it. I wait until I have a decent bio ball with 4 or so Medivacs and head down the ramp. I kill all his units, all his probes and destroy a couple of pylons, a Gateway and a Cannon. My surviving Medivacs flee to the safety of my ramp.

A short while later, my MMM ball rolls down the ramp and destroys everything he has. He taunts me and says "You know I'm on 6-base right?" He might well be for all I know, but I don't give a shit at this point. I march my army down and utterly ruin his main army.

He calls me a shitty player and leaves. I kill his other 2 bases just because.

I then eat a celebratory muffin.

This is assuming that having to kill the rocks is as easy for each race which it absolutely isn't. Sure some teams may have got some advantages from those bases, just as some teams get an advantage from the position of nat/3rds etc. That doesn't mean that it is imbalanced or needs to be removed.

Just the fact that blizzard seems convinced that they have this perfect balancing mechanism (lol rocks) and won't try anything else seems very egotistical. I don't know why blizzard won't just embrace maps that aren't created by them, i don't really see the downside.

Aylinato

Im talking about epic OTs

Well, I would say evilore has been wanting to eliminate mega threads for awhile as he deems them not good for the communities. Yet the time before he banished threads to the "online" section people posted in threads way more than now, as in every thread in which that happened. As there are threads still in the OP that belong in community yet haven't been moved(as even the sports got moved).

Thumbs up.

No need for those OTs with 500 gifs spanning across 10 posts filled with nothing but a spew of regurgitated PR diarrhea that is copy/pasted from the game's official website.

This x100. Hell, just give me a logo and maybe a couple pics and I'm good. This isn't a fucking fashion show

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dat foreign money
Damn, Taeja.
While I was debating whether I should pursue gaming or continue my studies, my Korean teacher suggested I try out for the GSL preliminaries.
Yo eSports

Zen

Banned
That's a great acquisition for team liquid, they seem to be going from strength to strength lately. This also gives them, what 3 players in Code S currently? Even though they are acquired talent (Hero, Taeja, Zenio (if he does well in the up/downs), Team Liquid now has a very respectable presence in the GSL. Hopefully the play of these guys can help players like Sheth, TLO, and Haypro really improve over the long haul.

StayDead

Wait, Wait, Wait, TAEJA LEFT SLAYERS? O_O I've been out of the loop for a while and didn't even know. SlayerS is my favourite team by far <3

I'm glad he joined Liquid, but how could he leave Boxer :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the fuck is this advertisement bullshit to the community forums on gaming discussion?

NASL season 3 doesn't sound half bad tbh, still won't watch live due to time zone but I hope they pull off a good finals for once (at a somewhat decent time for EU please).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You are yearning for it again, right? o_O
Huh? This is the first time I've seen it.

This is yet another day I wake up and notice bad changes to GAF. It's like, a constant wave of bullshit every 6 months or something. Now OTs are gonna be shitty too? What a sad day.

Zzoram

That's a great acquisition for team liquid, they seem to be going from strength to strength lately. This also gives them, what 3 players in Code S currently? Even though they are acquired talent (Hero, Taeja, Zenio (if he does well in the up/downs), Team Liquid now has a very respectable presence in the GSL. Hopefully the play of these guys can help players like Sheth, TLO, and Haypro really improve over the long haul.

I wouldn't call HerO acquired talent. HerO was a nobody before he joined Liquid. He was Code B, and made a single Code A appearance like a year ago. Liquid gave him the opportunity to build his confidence at foreign tournaments, which resulted in his GSL performance improving dramatically. HerO was developed talent, as much as any good player getting recruited by any team can be considered developed talent.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Huh? This is the first time I've seen it.

This is yet another day I wake up and notice bad changes to GAF. It's like, a constant wave of bullshit every 6 months or something. Now OTs are gonna be shitty too? What a sad day.

OTs ARE shitty now.

good riddance to the bullshit.

we want short concise facts.

Yoshichan

Whatever. Some people like it, some people don't. A big OT can be informative and awesome and if someone didn't like it, just click "Last Page" everytime you want to enter that thread. It's not like you have to go through everything all the time.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

That said, fuck rocks.

zerg investment in taking the base significantly outweighs the advantage of the instant hatch.

Top Bottom