• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

(._.)

Banned
did you just find out about destiny yoshi ?

i feel like his stream peaked because it used to be way more crazy back in 2011

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've always known who Destiny is, but I didn't like him before. When he started "coaching" people with bm, then I started liking him. Now I'm hooked!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
did you just find out about destiny yoshi ?

i feel like his stream peaked because it used to be way more crazy back in 2011

Well yea, joining an legit team like Quantic means he probably had to tone it down. Damn shame really.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I am incredibly addicted to BIGBANG right now. Holy crap, it's getting ridiculous.
Well yea, joining an legit team like Quantic means he probably had to tone it down. Damn shame really.
Wait, he was worse than this? Damn.

Yoshichan

Entertainmeeeeeeeeeeeent!

Thanks Corran!

Trickster

Surely, Illusioncss should win this engagement, right?

Not on Blizzards watch! I guess that ghost should've done some EMP-action and siege tanks should've been split up, but still... look at the amount of sieged up tanks. Nothing should ever be able to roflstomp through that. Nothing (hence their non-existent mobility). Why is mech so fucking boring and terrible (in 2/3 matchups) in this game?

You got a link to the video/vod of that game? Hard to make any call on it without knowing exactly how the battle happened. Looks like it would favor the terran heavily though.

Yoshichan

You got a link to the video/vod of that game? Hard to make any call on it without knowing exactly how the battle happened. Looks like it would favor the terran heavily though.
No VODs unfortunately :( Everyone in the chat went crazy when they realized he lost the battle... so dunno wtf happened.

(._.)

Banned
I've always known who Destiny is, but I didn't like him before. When he started "coaching" people with bm, then I started liking him. Now I'm hooked!

He was way way funnier before he got picked up by a big team. now its just him skyping catz and saying dumb stuff. pretty much nothing happens on his stream anymore. last thing that happened was when he got drunk. really crazy shit used to happen on his stream like confronting hackers and arguing with kid's parents.

zargle

Those tanks are grouped awfully close, so wouldn't colossus splash be more effective in that battle than normal against tanks?

The plan was always for three NASL seasons right? I wonder how much money they've lost, it might be staggering.

They have a "Hollywood" producer now so apparently all their problems have been fixed

Deadly

The plan was always for three NASL seasons right? I wonder how much money they've lost, it might be staggering.

They have a "Hollywood" producer now so apparently all their problems have been fixed
Didn't they say they were in profit once? I don't see why they made the venue in Toronto though. That's pretty weird...

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

lol fixed. They still have gretorp casting and stuck with a horrible format of a season.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Didn't they say they were in profit once? I don't see why they made the venue in Toronto though. That's pretty weird...

Ive never heard it. Could have missed it though. Private investors so who knows :/

Sundance made it seem like there could be no way they are making money without having a shiton of subs since their sponsors are pretty limited.

Q8D3vil

OK I'VE NEVER BEEN THIS ANGRY PLAYING A GAME BEFORE.

I'm embarassed how angry I am, death threats to my opponent etc. How can someone play like that? It's not even funny.

This game isn't healthy for me lol.

raging is fine but death threats are very very low.
u can just quit without saying anything after a game (not even gg).

I seem to recall Incontrol saying that they were making money from in during a SOTG. I don't remember which one though.

I seriously, seriously doubt that given the stream numbers and potential costs of building a studio. Plus the huge amount of cash they used on prize pools.

There's no way they have grossed $300k in two years

Keikaku

I seriously, seriously doubt that given the stream numbers and potential costs of building a studio. Plus the huge amount of cash they used on prize pools.

There's no way they have grossed $300k in two years
I seriously doubt that they'd be OK with one of their players lie on a live stream in front of thousands of people and on a show that is easily accessible by their sponsors about the state of their financials. If Incontrol said that he was told that NASL made money, I'd believe it until I was told otherwise or I saw the figures.

I'm not happy about it because, having broken down and paid for Season 1, I got sold a shitty product. I didn't buy Season 2 but, presumably, enough people did that they still made a profit even with their stream numbers and their prize. Also, AFAIK, they didn't build their own studio building (if that's what you're saying), just rented a place and built sets which is far cheaper.

If Season 3 tanks really badly, I can see their sponsors pulling the plug. The only way that NASL becomes tolerable is at a BarCraft event.

I seriously doubt that they'd be OK with one of their players lie on a live stream in front of thousands of people and on a show that is easily accessible by their sponsors about the state of their financials. If Incontrol said that he was told that NASL made money, I'd believe it until I was told otherwise or I saw the figures.

I'm not happy about it because, having broken down and paid for Season 1, I got sold a shitty product. I didn't buy Season 2 but, presumably, enough people did that they still made a profit even with their stream numbers and their prize. Also, AFAIK, they didn't build their own studio building (if that's what you're saying), just rented a place and built sets which is far cheaper.

If Season 3 tanks really badly, I can see their sponsors pulling the plug. The only way that NASL becomes tolerable is at a BarCraft event.

Because InControl doesn't have a history of making ridiculous comments about things he doesn't know about...

From what I understand, the NASL guy invested about $500k in a three season NASL schedule; there are also private investors involved. While the first season's stream numbers were impressive, the second's dropped significantly. It's highly unlikely the ad revenue generated from those views, plus subscriptions, have covered the half a million investment already made. So yes, I would bet my life savings that NASL has not reached a profit in two years. No one in esports is making money, and certainly not a company doing esports worse than nearly everyone else.

Because InControl doesn't have a history of making ridiculous comments about things he doesn't know about...

From what I understand, the NASL guy invested about $500k in a three season NASL schedule; there are also private investors involved. While the first season's stream numbers were impressive, the second's dropped significantly. It's highly unlikely the ad revenue generated from those views, plus subscriptions, have covered the half a million investment already made. So yes, I would bet my life savings that NASL has not reached a profit in two years. No one in esports is making money, and certainly not a company doing esports worse than nearly everyone else.

Pretty sure that both the GSL and Dreamhack are in the black, but yeah US based big esports organizers are probably leaking cash.

Pretty sure that both the GSL and Dreamhack are in the black, but yeah US based big esports organizers are probably leaking cash.

Isn't GSL only financially stable because Blizzard's heavy investment? I'm not familiar with Dreamhack's set up; it does seem like the Euro tournaments have some major backing due to the large game lineups.

IPL is successful because it's IGN. I doubt their esports branch makes a profit, but it might as well be a tax write off. MLG is propped up by venture capitol

Keikaku

You would bet your life savings based on what evidence exactly? Supposition? Wishing? OK then.

I'm just pointing out that without the hard numbers, there's no reason to believe that they're failing other than the fact that you want them to fail. Do you have hard data on their subscription numbers? Presumably they got the same ad split as anyone else for the streasm but without their sub numbers, you're guessing.

All I have to look at with regards to their financial health is a statement from an affiliated party. It's not a hard number but it was a statement from someone who has a better view of the internal workings than we do. Ergo, he knows more about it than I do. It's my doubt about their financial viability against Incontrol's statement and, in this case, I choose to believe that Incontrol made a true statement because he has better access to the organization.

I would also guess (and hope) that they fail, but until I hear otherwise, there's really no point in believing that it'll happen.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Given what other prominent esports businessmen have said about ad revenue, I seriously doubt NASL has generated $500k in two years with that plus the subscriptions - which apparently fell for S2.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
for a moment (looked at open brackets, then looked at the groups) I was thinking it was NASL.. then I was like that cant be right.

Dear god the IPL line up is mad :O

Top Bottom