• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Zzoram

I'm getting the impression that HOTS could be a disaster in terms of balance. More hard counter units

Blizzard is pretty clueless about balance. Dustin Browder is awful because he has Command & Conquer pedigree so his instinct is to put in "cool super units" that are ridiculously imbalanced, then try to nerf them into something reasonable.

A Terran turret that has longer range than Siege Tanks sounds like the worst idea possible for TvT, yet Blizzard thinks it's somehow going to make TvT more dynamic. They are clueless.

ultron87

I just don't see a viable future for Protoss air as long as the primary counter for top tier Robotics play remains Vikings/Corrupters.

Your transition can only ever be Stargate/Robo -> Templar tech or vice versa.

fanboi

Banned
Blizzard is pretty clueless about balance. Dustin Browder is awful because he has Command & Conquer pedigree so his instinct is to put in "cool super units" that are ridiculously imbalanced, then try to nerf them into something reasonable.

A Terran turret that has longer range than Siege Tanks sounds like the worst idea possible for TvT, yet Blizzard thinks it's somehow going to make TvT more dynamic. They are clueless.

This is tiresome...

How can you state this when the latest win rate wast dead fucking even? Maybe 1% deviated between the races...

Zzoram

This is tiresome...

How can you state this when the latest win rate wast dead fucking even? Maybe 1% deviated between the races...

The win rates have been fixed because of GOM maps. If we were playing on only Blizzard designed maps, the game would be so broken.

fanboi

Banned
The win rates have been fixed because of GOM maps. If we were playing on only Blizzard designed maps, the game would be so broken.

Maybe, but we are now talking about units and not map.

And everyone stated that the community would bring maps that balanced the game.

As mapcreators there is alot to ask for from Blizzard, but not regarding units.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Blizzard fucking sucks.

Zzoram

They need to stop making "new" things just for the sake of it, at the expense of the game.

Protoss don't need a flying colossus to go with their colossus death ball. All the siege tempest will do is make the death ball even stronger. Also, Nexus recall means if it ever gets into a jam, it can instantly retreat.

Ridiculous.

Just add 1 unit per race and change 1 unit per race. Trying to do 3 units per race is too much and they clearly don't have enough good ideas for that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
They need to stop making "new" things just for the sake of it, at the expense of the game.

Protoss don't need a flying colossus to go with their colossus death ball. All the siege tempest will do is make the death ball even stronger. Also, Nexus recall means if it ever gets into a jam, it can instantly retreat.

Ridiculous.
Yup.

Just start up SC:BW tournaments. Everyone is happy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
. Also, Nexus recall means if it ever gets into a jam, it can instantly retreat.

Ridiculous.
Especially since even GM protoss can't use all energy when they're on 4+ bases. Plenty of Nexus with full energy late game.

Zzoram

Yup.

Just start up SC:BW tournaments. Everyone is happy.

That's not the problem. The problem is that they put new units in within any thinking about how it changes the game. They keep designing units with only a single purpose, or only to counter 1 other unit. All that does is cause countering units to cancel out so none of them are really used.

The original Tempest was a terrible unit. A slow moving splash anti-air unit that only served to deter Mutalisks. There were only 2 possible outcomes for that, either Zerg stops all Mutalisk production, or the unit doesn't work as intended but since it serves no other purpose it wouldn't be used. That's an example of a horrible unit design.

Yoshichan

That's not the problem. The problem is that they put new units in within any thinking about how it changes the game. They keep designing units with only a single purpose, or only to counter 1 other unit. All that does is cause countering units to cancel out so none of them are really used.
Hmm, I don't agree with this. The battle hellion, Warhound, Shredder, Oracle, Viper and the swarm host-unit all seems to be good for more than just one counter. But yeah there are definitely units that seems to be just for one type of counter, ala Tempest.

fanboi

Banned

Ridiculous.

Just add 1 unit per race and change 1 unit per race. Trying to do 3 units per race is too much and they clearly don't have enough good ideas for that.

This I might agree on (make fewer new units).

But, whats coming for Zerg, Im very eger to try it out.

Leapfrogging with swarm host... hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

Yoshichan

Leapfrogging with swarm host... hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
Are they just broodlings or are they stronger than that?

Zzoram

Protoss should get the Oracle, and fix Carriers.
Terran should get the Battle Hellion and make Thors smaller/weaker (essentially the Warhound).
Zerg should have the viper replace the infestor and get the swarm host.

That's possible to balance and enough. One replaced/fixed unit and one new unit.

Zzoram

What HotS needs are units that require micro. More units like Blink Stalkers and Stimmed Marines.

Splash damage units require less micro, we should have fewer of those types of units.

Yoshichan

They're never, ever going to take away the colossus.

Ridiculous.

I agree; two units at the very most. Three completely throws the game off balance, and to be honest it wasn't even particularly balanced to begin with. The more I hear Browder and others discuss the game, the less confident I am in HOTS or SC2 in general. The game is already very viewer and casual player friendly, with the big units that are easily accessible/usable. I get it, that stuff isn't going away. But why add more on top of the ones we already have like the fucking Colosus. Why not address each race's biggest flaw, or create units that compliment each race's strengths (ie support, not "let's make the deathball even more ridiculous and call it a day")

One unit, one change per race. For instance for zerg: give me the Viper, and fix the god damn Ultralisk. While I would certainly like a mid game siege unit, to be honest Zerg doesn't necessarily need one.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Protoss should get the Oracle, and fix Carriers.
Terran should get the Battle Hellion and make Thors smaller/weaker (essentially the Warhound).
Zerg should have the viper replace the infestor and get the swarm host.

That's possible to balance and enough. One replaced/fixed unit and one new unit.
Yeaaaaaaaaaaap

Yoshichan

I'll play Blizzard DotA no matter what :3 Will I be able to play as Starcraft-heroes?

Yoshichan

More Twitch bugs everyone is going through:

Mod-status is inconsistent, different chat-colors and chat freezing, restarting or just lagging. GJ Twitch.

Yoshichan

Corran, just because you're not popular on Twitch doesn't mean no one else can be :3

Hey guys, NASL Season 3 starts today!

lol

Hm, didn't know the show will always be live and never pre-recorded, some games will be played live too, and replays will "never" be older than 24 hours. I like all of that.

More importantly, I'm a big MrBitter fan and will be giving this a chance largely due to him. He was just a regular guy who put a lot of work into generating great content with his Weeks With the Pros series, then got a nice job casting in Europe. I'm glad he's back in America and hope he starts doing more content on the side - perhaps revives his Weeks With the Pros stuff.

Sucks NASL hasn't been able to get Husky, that would be a major step towards getting more people to watch.

Yoshichan

And my existence feeds thousa - no... millions of people.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hm, didn't know the show will always be live and never pre-recorded, some games will be played live too, and replays will "never" be older than 24 hours. I like all of that.

More importantly, I'm a big MrBitter fan and will be giving this a chance largely due to him. He was just a regular guy who put a lot of work into generating great content with his Weeks With the Pros series, then got a nice job casting in Europe. I'm glad he's back in America and hope he starts doing more content on the side - perhaps revives his Weeks With the Pros stuff.

Sucks NASL hasn't been able to get Husky, that would be a major step towards getting more people to watch.

*highfive*

You're my bitterbro pd.
<3

Yoshichan

Destiny live, gogogo

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
but idra has the best music :D

haters gonna hate

WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB
bKeVU.gif

Yoshichan

You only play worse people now?

Top Bottom