• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Zen

Banned
One of my friends is having a lot of problems PvT. I was telling him to just 1 gate expand and turtle on 2 colossus into a chargelot/HT transition but he's a bit lost. Is there any good youtube video or whatever taht shows how to do this. Google failed me.

NEW DEADLINES

The 3 Preliminary Matches MUST be done by the end of this weekend.

After that, all of the FIRST ROUND matches MUST be done for next week.

You've had your time. If your match isn't done, then I'll just put through whoever responds to my degrading PM first.

ultron87

Are you all just racing full speed ahead in level in Diablo? I only got to 9 last night. Then all that server unpleasantness happened. And now I have work and shit.

I love how they have chat rooms, but you can't create private ones. So every single one will be a horrible cesspool.

jasonng

Are you all just racing full speed ahead in level in Diablo? I only got to 9 last night. Then all that server unpleasantness happened. And now I have work and shit.

I love how they have chat rooms, but you can't create private ones. So every single one will be a horrible cesspool.
Nope. I'm taking my time while also simultaneously starting multiple characters.

Jeff-DSA

I hope you're happy Blizzard. I've resorted to proxy rax builds in TvZ and TvP because I lose any games that go into long macro games. It's working, but I feel dirty every single time that bunker goes down and marines slip in there against Zerg. I don't feel bad for Protoss though, because screw 'em.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
have you tried building helions, then marines, then marines and tanks, then marines tanks and vikings, then some techlab raxes for marauders or ghosts?

Spl1nter

have you tried building helions, then marines, then marines and tanks, then marines tanks and vikings, then some techlab raxes for marauders or ghosts?

Don't listen to panda, for tvz you want to be mixing in maruaders from the beginning unless your opponent is going muta in which case you cut maruader production.

TvZ is balanced for a macro game. However the terran does need to outplay the zerg to win once Hive Tech is out if the game is on an even footing. However, you should have an advantage by that point if you scan to check how much time you have and time your push accordingly.

TvP you can get a good lead in the mid game with a good build order (first 10 mins of the game) all the way up to top diamond which sets you up well for the late game. Just need to react properly.

Jeff-DSA

That's roughly my current unit mix. If I don't proxy, I fast expand, transition to Hellion/Marine/Tank/Medivac. I try to end the game with that mix, and either add in a couple of Thors to keep Mutas off of my tanks or to soak up Baneling hits. If I see them go greater spire, I start pumping out the Vikings while keeping Marine/Hellion. I mix a few Marauders in there, but not too many. I've been better at splitting, so I'm preferring extra Marines.

I've all but given up Ghosts in TvZ. It was a staple for me, but I've had real bad luck with them as of late, so I'm moving away from Ghosts.

Jeff-DSA

terrans: the only people to complain that they have to be the better player to win.

It's not about being upset about having to play better, it's about having to force that early pressure and end the game early. It's like if you don't sneak in some Hellions or do major damage with early pressure, you're dead in the water in the long game unless your opponent makes a big mistake.

I just wish that all three races had equal chances at winning short, medium, and long games. I don't like resorting to builds that everybody gets pissed off about and rage quits or calls me some all-in cheeser.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
It's not about playing better, it's about having to force that early pressure and end the game early. It's like if you don't sneak in some Hellions or do major damage with early pressure, you're dead in the water in the long game unless your opponent makes a big mistake.
thats just flat out wrong.

I just wish that all three races had equal chances at winning short, medium, and long games.
it probably wont happen. :\

you might be interested in this tho. [tvp]
http://evilgeniuses.net/imba-late-game-pvt-with-incontrol-demuslim/

Jeff-DSA

thats just flat out wrong.

I'll check the link, thanks.

I feel less helpless against Zerg, because no matter their mix they trade pretty inefficiently, so you can rally in a macro game with a handful of good engagements, but I feel totally screwed over against a Protoss that holds me off long enough to turn it into a big macro game.

Don't worry, 2 years from now they're gonna announce all the features that everyone's been screaming about and that it will finally come to D3 (after you buy the $40 expansion of course)

Spl1nter

these delicious tears remind me of the time when the solution to ZvP was 'dont let them get that far'.

Hey I'm not complaining, my tvp winrate is great. I think the late game is winnable but you need to have good unit moment and positioning before attacking. You basically need to force the toss to attack into you unless you can get amazing emp of on everything. I think people undervalue the use of emp against gateways units other than ht.

Jeff-DSA

Hey I'm not complaining, my tvp winrate is great. I think the late game is winnable but you need to have good unit moment and positioning before attacking. You basically need to force the toss to attack into you unless you can get amazing emp of on everything. I think people undervalue the use of emp against gateways units other than ht.

I EMP everything, not just HTs. The problem is that you have to drop far more EMPs successfully to even the score with them hitting just a couple of good storms. I know Ghosts are more mobile, but if HTs miss, they're still great after morphing into Archons whereas Ghosts get murdered quickly by the death ball once their energy is out.

I know my biggest issues are control and positioning, but everybody else in my league should have similar issues.

Spl1nter

I EMP everything, not just HTs. The problem is that you have to drop far more EMPs successfully to even the score with them hitting just a couple of good storms. I know Ghosts are more mobile, but if HTs miss, they're still great after morphing into Archons whereas Ghosts get murdered quickly by the death ball once their energy is out.

I know my biggest issues are control and positioning, but everybody else in my league should have similar issues.

You should be able to minimize the damage from 1 or 2 storms with micro. Its when there is 3 or more storms that it becomes really difficult.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i thought you were learning protoss now?

Spl1nter

i thought you were learning protoss now?

Yes on my splinter account. Got diamond yesterday with the one game I played. Funny because it was against a top 8 diamond toss lol.

I think its kind of funny that I find both pvt and tvp easy match ups, both races so OP they cancel each other out.

zerg is superOP

Yes on my splinter account. Got diamond yesterday with the one game I played. Funny because it was against a top 8 diamond toss lol.

I think its kind of funny that I find both pvt and tvp easy match ups, both races so OP they cancel each other out.

zerg is superOP

Why haven't you gone pro yet?

Jeff-DSA

3fact reactor hellion TvT seems like the ultimate troll

Here are the results. He went mass Marine, I went mass Hellion. The units lost count were kind of in my favor. I didn't even roll out tanks until the very end to get up his ramp.

LopsidedCounter.jpg

zlatko

Banned
So when I bought D3 I also ordered a mechanical keyboard and a steel series mouse.

I can't WAIT to play SC2 HoTS next year with this keyboard. I was spamming two empty skill slots while I played D3 in the earlier levels just for some of those SC2 reflexes for dat macro. Sounds soooo sexy to me. :p

Scarlett is getting completely outclassed in the first game. She has lost nearly 80 drones to hellions and Banshees wtf. Just a spore crawler in the mineral lines would have prevented most of that shit

She still managed to near hit a nice brood lord timing, despite taking so much economic dmg. Lots of potential, but I have a feeling this showmatch will be ugly

Jeff-DSA

What I've been hearing the last week or so: "Hellions just arent good with this queen patch!"

Kas: "lol moar hellions!!"

The impact has been far less than I imagined it would have. You head for the mineral line anyway, they just need to have the queen nearby and even when they start running drones, it's usually not far from the queen.

Here are the results. He went mass Marine, I went mass Hellion. The units lost count were kind of in my favor. I didn't even roll out tanks until the very end to get up his ramp.

LopsidedCounter.jpg

Oh man I wish I could still have games like that :( I miss the good old troll leagues. Might start participating in some funday mondays.

Top Bottom