• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Snowman

Does Battle.net have a similar system to Steam's gift/extra copy system? Can I try to redeem this extra CD key to see what happens, then gift it to someone if it really is a separate key?

You'd have to redeem it on a seperate battle.net account (different email address) anyway, so you could just give someone else the account details or something if it works I guess.

Aylinato

I don't want stephano to go to EG. So far they are 100% for making amazing potential players completely turn around and suck horribly

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i do not support any team that refuses to cultivate new talent and instead farms established players.

EG just does not do anything for the growth of the playerbase and they have the most money to do it.

Aaron

i do not support any team that refuses to cultivate new talent and instead farms established players.

EG just does not do anything for the growth of the playerbase and they have the most money to do it.
Come one, 'evil' is right in the name. They're the Yankees of Esports.

Oh no! Not the froozing!

I don't think any major team seems interested in "farming" talent. I'm rather excited about the return of Root because they actually fostered development and talent scouting (Sheth, Minigun, etc). Every team is more focused on acquiring the best players to pimp their products. There's nothing wrong with doing that, but I think the only way the NA SC2 scene will truly grow is if we start seeing players break out the pack, gain followings, and then maybe join a smaller team before jumping to the big leagues.

We need more Scarletts basically, ie people who go to a tournament, have a crazy run, and then start putting in work. Right now the NA scene is dominated by the same burnouts (Idra, Machine, Huk to a lesser extent, Sheth, etc)

Snowman

It doesn't make sense for a team with big money to focus on new players rather than existing names. The money gives them way more of an advantage over other teams in securing the big players, I don't see how you can just throw money at finding/producing new good players in the same way.

Sliver

I don't think any major team seems interested in "farming" talent. I'm rather excited about the return of Root because they actually fostered development and talent scouting (Sheth, Minigun, etc). Every team is more focused on acquiring the best players to pimp their products. There's nothing wrong with doing that, but I think the only way the NA SC2 scene will truly grow is if we start seeing players break out the pack, gain followings, and then maybe join a smaller team before jumping to the big leagues.

We need more Scarletts basically, ie people who go to a tournament, have a crazy run, and then start putting in work. Right now the NA scene is dominated by the same burnouts (Idra, Machine, Huk to a lesser extent, Sheth, etc)

Exactly how I feel, and what I was saying a couple pages back about ROOT. It's what the Koreans do that creates all of their impressive new talent coming out, and it's what foreign teams need to do.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

CoL is doing work on new talent.

thing is though; we'll never get any new scarletts. it costs thousands to even go to an mlg and if you can't even be looked at without big time results, we'll almost never get anything out of that model. the na scene will continue to be run on those burnouts until the thought of their success in an event with koreans is so laughable that they lose customer draw.

compare that to teams like ROOT which had a massive breakout fanbase because of their ability to farm talent. people like new guys.

It doesn't make sense for a team with big money to focus on new players rather than existing names. The money gives them way more of an advantage over other teams in securing the big players, I don't see how you can just throw money at finding/producing new good players in the same way.
explain SlayerS.

explain just about any korean team.

i'm not asking them to give out salaries to random newbies; im saying form Clan evil nerds and fund a $100 inhouse only tournament every week. tops. then talk mous into doing the same. and dignitas, etc, etc.

basically every team should have a CoL academy or vVv analogue.

But teams wouldn't need to throw money at this. Korean SC2 teams with no money managed to do this last year and the year before, there's no question more financially successful teams like EG or TL can too.

I think we need more region specific tournaments, online or LANs, that don't just invite a bunch of Koreans to win everything - if they want to come, let their teams pay for it. People like watching Koreans play, but viewers show up even if an Idra or Huck or Sheth is in a tournament too. The scene is big enough to have room for these smaller tournaments - like Redbull today - just with an emphasis on a particular region. I don't believe the Machines/Tylers/InControls etc are the dominant second tier US players anymore, but we don't know for sure because they never have to prove it, and other players rarely have a chance to challenge them outside of MLG open brackets.

Snowman

That's kinda my point though, you don't NEED a lot of money to get "new" players, which means it makes sense for teams like ROOT to go after finding them as they can't afford to just buy up all the known good players like EG.

Snowman

I think we need more region specific tournaments, online or LANs, that don't just invite a bunch of Koreans to win everything - if they want to come, let their teams pay for it. People like watching Koreans play, but viewers show up even if an Idra or Huck or Sheth is in a tournament too. The scene is big enough to have room for these smaller tournaments - like Redbull today - just with an emphasis on a particular region. I don't believe the Machines/Tylers/InControls etc are the dominant second tier US players anymore, but we don't know for sure because they never have to prove it, and other players rarely have a chance to challenge them outside of MLG open brackets.

I totally agree with this, it's a shame there's always people that moan about game quality unless the tournament is at least like 80% koreans though.

Snowman

Catz just 2-0'd Idra in the NASL.

lol EG

More like
lol Idra

Puma, Huk and Demuslim are all top of their divisions this NASL :p

Exactly Panda, I just remember people saying that the mlg winter arena had too many crappy foreigners to be a good tournament but I guess there's always going to be some people moaning no matter what you do.. I'm all for more regional tournaments, it'd be cool to see who really are the best american players these days for example.

Snowman

To be fair to him, he's used to playing on maps where every unit costs less money and builds faster.

Poor cheater

Huh? Explain plz :p

Edit: Just looked it up, I guess you mean 5 years ago when he played BW. He was 14 then, seems unfair to hold some kind of grudge.

In case anyone else cares Bisu is about to play SC2.

dat one base play. Seriously, the gap in quality between what we've seen in the Red Bull toury and that Bisu v Hero game is stunning. Elephant lol

edit: jaedong, flash, and now bisu have all lost their first SC2 games while demonstrating poor play

Snowman

Husky casting on his own in the back room so they can keep on schedule, he's just kinda doing his own thing and he's so tired it's hilarious. So good.

Quadratic

Watching Sayle's streaming OGN right now. Proleague SC2 is so bad at the moment. It's going to take the kespa players a while till they get good. Maybe not until HotS. I saw a Jaedong quote recently on TL saying since there's more automation with SC2 the BWer's can use their skill to focus on more effective actions rather than worker rallying etc.

Vaporak

Watching Sayle's streaming OGN right now. Proleague SC2 is so bad at the moment. It's going to take the kespa players a while till they get good. Maybe not until HotS. I saw a Jaedong quote recently on TL saying since there's more automation with SC2 the BWer's can use their skill to focus on more effective actions rather than worker rallying etc.

There's actually a Proleague thread. I wouldn't say its "so bad" though, some of the games have been pretty bad, and some of them have been pretty good. I think the SC2 matches today have been pretty good for example.

There's actually a Proleague thread. I wouldn't say its "so bad" though, some of the games have been pretty bad, and some of them have been pretty good. I think the SC2 matches today have been pretty good for example.

Eh, that Bisu pvp was lol worthy. Granted it was PvP but still

Aaron

No one watching the qualifiers? TLO is one game away from getting into Code A. He has to face Inca after completely crushing a lesser protoss.

Striek

TLO got a big advantage, decided to do a slow, bad, expensive, nydus all-in even though he only had roach/ling and it takes no time for them to cross the map. So stupid. Game 2 and early ling/bane in game 3 showed great play, but game 1 and the latter game 3 decision making was terrible.

Why did he do that stupid nydus allin after getting that huge lead :/. He could have done pretty much anything but he tried a silly play and got punished.

Edit: MVP streaming, pretty awesome.

calder

Shut up with your "stephano leaves gg!" jokes Rob.

Battlegrounds is reminding me that like a year ago Day9 was my favourite event caster give or take Artosis. Now... eh not so much. He's still very good, but I feel like his vocal muggings and cliche spouting (granted, his own cliches which helps a bit) are getting worse. Not to mention his overdone crowd pandering. Probably I'm being a bit harsh because he's casting with Rob right now, and Rob has chemistry with absolutely no one.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Shut up with your "stephano leaves gg!" jokes Rob.

Battlegrounds is reminding me that like a year ago Day9 was my favourite event caster give or take Artosis. Now... eh not so much. He's still very good, but I feel like his vocal muggings and cliche spouting (granted, his own cliches which helps a bit) are getting worse. Not to mention his overdone crowd pandering. Probably I'm being a bit harsh because he's casting with Rob right now, and Rob has chemistry with absolutely no one.

One of the reasons why I stopped watching most of his casted stuff awhile ago. I think it was one of the european events last year when it kinda tipped the edge for me.

Top Bottom